Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Suns back out here now, weekend will see the job finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Just over 4mm since 2pm today here in South Kildare..More due Tuesday morning.Far from ideal hay weather

No, not ideal but hay that's down already and got one wetting will be fine before Tuesday evening. Many years we don't get any ideal weather but I still get hay most years without too much issue, but wouldn't if I sat waiting for the ideal forecast.

To be fair today's rain was in the forecast when I knocked the meadow, those upset by next week's "promised" forecast need to realise anything beyond 5 days was never really promised as meteorologists never give any certainty after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Very true, often lads waiting for the perfect hay weather miss many opportunities. Stuff cut Wedsnesday this week would be got by Tuesday evening. The first two days after being cut can be used to let the grass wilt before shaking out, that way if the weather doesn't play ball you can bale it up as silage, but if 3 good days come after the two days wilt you'll get the hay.

I think we have it easier than pass generations, they didn't have the fall back of making silage bales.

One thing I have learn't is the Haybob has got its last repair for me, I'll be investing in a tether for myself. I reckon I missed out on about 10 bales of hay due to the haybob not shaking out the stuff by the walls good enough. It tended to lump the stuff up where the crop was heavy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

That's an interesting approach, i would always been more of a Goldilocks type and would have thought it best to start shaking it out the day it was mowed, I suppose it depends on the forecast.

Forecast has changed now, we're to get a few showers on Tuesday, a lot of the country will escape, but Wednesday is to be fine again with rain Thursday morning.

I'm wondering, if I cut today it'll be tight and what kind of a way would I be then with a wetting at that stage?

Now its old organic ground so it'll dry quick too and round bales are pretty safe...

• Advertisement

I mowed last Sunday, rowed up the headland and a damp paddock on Monday, baled Tuesday, turned the rest for the first time Wednesday, turned again Thursday, did nothing Friday due to rain, will turn today and bale tomorrow. Sure it got wet once, it was always in the forecast. The grass has not been overly turned and abused but is well killed out now, still has a nice green tint and fresh hay smell.

I was planning on trying to get another bit knocked this week, but even I'm chickening out with the current forecast, too many little bits of rain scattered through the week, at least this week there was only one spell forecast for a few hours.

It would be nice to wait for the goldilocks weather, which may or may not come, but I've too much fodder this year due to changing to a calf based system and just not stocking heavily enough yet, so I need to sell and hay is much easier to shift. (even easier if that perfect weather never comes now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Forecast not looking as bad as they were saying now for late next week

It really has changed in the last hour…..
    Could be mowing yet 😁, I think I'll finish what I have first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

cut mine Wednesday evening, shook out straight away and again Thursday. Will turn today and tomorrow and hopefully bale Monday.

today is likely to be overcast and tomorrow a good one and Monday supposedly too.

It’s less than 4 acres and while I’d like to get it obviously, I won’t lose sleep either. More important things in life……..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

just cut a light for the most part weedy rushy crop. Hoping to bale Wednesday ….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

A dull enough day here alright, but with temperatures due to rise, will I go for it...

Out of action this time, I broke the end off the sliding tube on the haybob, I thought I could weld it but it's too rusty and the metal is gone thin. The welder is only punching holes in the tube. Had a quick look on donedeal, there's nothing near me of any use or else its overpriced trash.

I think I'm going to buy new and get the tams grant. It's 60% for Organic farmers, the reference cost of a Haybob/tether is 3900, but will I be able to get new for that is the question. I was browsing at machinery costs and was shocked at how expensive some stuff has got. Cheapest disc mower is 8.5k now!! The Franzgaurd combi 390 is 6900, no idea what the Enorossi DR420 Tedder is but I imagine it must be far more.

Value of money is gone to sh1te, someone mentioned they'd have to be getting 40 a bale in the field for hay, cripes I reckon that is a bargin at 40. With the costs involved and the lottery that it is I wouldn't be selling hay bales under 60

What part of the country are you in? If you were stuck for that part for the sake of a few days I may have a spare.

100% thanks, I'm in west clare, Ive located the part of a dealer a few miles away, it's the tube that stops the haybob from swiviling too far left or right, the one you close the clamp on when travelling. Problem is its an angle grinder job to get out the rusted bolt holding it in on both machines. On top of which I've a punchure, tiss pure torture!! Anyways

I'm going to mow away this afternoon once it dries out, I'm only going for 6 acres this time, the rest could do with growing a bit more so I have time. Once mowed I'll go at the rust bucket haybob.

Ah, no bother. Wouldn't be worth travelling this far for one. Would like to upgrade here too. Think I'll look at a tedder of some description for next season. Don't mind the haybobs for rowing as they suit the claas 46 I have for baling but could do with something better for tedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭limo_100

was considering purchasing a 4 rotor Tedder myself next year. Was thinking of going for a Massey one as they are using the lely technology. Is there a grant for these in tams or is that just for organics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Its wonderful the way the weather forecast is changing daily, sometimes more !! My father has an old nokia, and is now cursing people with all the weather apps on their phones

it’s improving….glad I cut yesterday

I cut some yesterday too, it didn't give you much inspiration here in the west in the evening, it made a right heavy mist all evening. One thing I did notice when I was cutting was plenty of small copper butterflys and I came across a yellow frog, both of which is a great sign of the weather. Which is why the forecasts for the next week onwards don't seem to match. I wonder which weather we will get? Either way i can do nothing with it till I fix the rust bucket haybob.

Anyone thinking of buying hay equipment through the tams, it closes for applications in September. At the moment I intend using the scheme to get a tedder, a weighing scales and maybe a front loader. (The scales os only 40% grant)

• Advertisement

Tedder (assuming you are going for a 4 rotor as a minimum) is a lot of money. Even with grant for a couple of small uses per year. I looked this year as I am on the 60 percent grant in organics (assume you are aswell if looking at a loader).

I had bought a second hand one local ish in the west also 3 years ago for around 2.5-3k. Had to put 200 into it this year but she is running fair sweet again since. Life changing compared to the hay Bob…..which in itself was life changing to my father 40 years ago.

3rd generation of Maher's working this haybob/tractor combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Robson99

Same boat here ...fecked up of haybob. Not sure whether to go with second hand 4 rotor Lely or new Stirex/Jarmet/Minos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Robson99

What make you buy 893

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Thankfully the sun came out in all its glory at 11.30. hopefully get another few hours of it. Could make all the difference, especially with tomorrow hopefully good again. Very hot outside now under that sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

@893bet Are you trying to better @Silverdream ! You're missing a door as well as the back window.

Post edited by White Clover on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

serious hay day here in the midlands. Sun and wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

All hay here will be baled up tomorrow

IIn Great order atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

When was that cut? mine ( cut thur) still green enough in places, hard to know with forecast if it will rain much monday night

Advertisement