Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

»When the reality is it is somewhere in the low hundreds.

According to you and your methodology, only several hundred people died as a result Covid in Ireland correct?

I presume you can support that (usual disclaimer: denial/incredulity is not support)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

There was no excess death in the period. https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/26bd4-oecd-research-shows-ireland-avoided-excess-deaths-during-core-pandemic-years/

If there was no excess deaths then what happened? Where is the near ten thousand deaths?

Now, those of us with keen eyes for data can pick apart the figure's I wonder if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,082 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There were excess deaths from covid in other countries which did not have our level of restrictions. They demonstrate what would have happened here had we listened to the covid denialists.

All you are doing is proving the threat covid represented and how Ireland took necessary steps against it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Show me the data from North Dakota and South Dakota. One state had restrictions and one state didn't, they are closest in demographics, geography, climate and as near to a real time trial as we can get, since you are the one obsessed with data from all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Your points were explained to you quite clearly, that you choose not to understand them continually, is on you (ladder conspiracy, really? you've fallen far).

@Cluedo Monopoly don't get sucked in by posters like this "Just asking questions". They've been at it for years on a variety of topics.

(I'm just dipping in and out of this but it's amazing to see the same misinformation being peddled as a few years ago)

• Advertisement

So you aren't going to address the 3 simple examples I gave you. I suspected you wouldn't you frequently do this, you dissappear when confronted with your lies.

Fine, so, since you consider yourself someone who "understands the data" do you think it was possible to discern between patients who were hospitalized from Covid and those who were infected in hospital? Like I said, a bunch of kids could have figured out this one.

In the space of two posts you have gone from:

"those of us with keen eyes for data can pick apart the figure's I wonder if you can."

to

"since you are the one obsessed with data from all over the world."

Self discrediting isn't it, when your claims are challenged on the basis of data and evidence?

When you are the one presenting information it is touted as, "keen eyes for data".

When asked a challenging question it becomes "you are the one obsessed with data."

So which is it? Is looking for and at evidence showing a "keen eye" or does it show as being "obsessed"?

Doesn't take long for the "just asking questions" charade to fall by the wayside does it?

Take a look at your own posts and apply your own advice to them, I reject the loaded premises of your question, which betray only the double standards evident in your posts.

We have already seen on this thread how you tried to misrepresent information about Omicron from South Africa, and its impact in Ireland.

Ok, let me rephrase it in a way you understand. Because to be fair, I may not have been clear.

I don't trust the data from our Government or our media. I have outlined 3 very good reasons why. Anyone with a keen eye for data can see the same issues I see, in fact an amateur can see the same issues.

You are obsessed with data from all over the world, you mentioned Hong Kong not so long ago, if I don't trust the Irish data I am not going simply trust the data from anywhere else and I sure as hell don't trust news reports from all over the world.

The reason why the government stated in January this year that there was no increase in excess death is because they have factored in population increase, there was an increase in excess deaths in 2020/2021 but it was very small, in the low hundreds, the problem now is, the rates of excess deaths have increased in a major way over the last two years that will have to be explained to the public at some point in the near future, if they factor in population increase they can spin it. But the figures are up by over 10%, more in some months.

Let me be crystal clear, I am reluctant to believe the vaccines are causing that increase, I do think it has more to do with the severe impact of two years of lock down, which were exceptionally unhealthy for a myriad of reasons.

Let me be also crystal clear, Covid was a very nasty infection I saw with my own eyes how nasty it can be in isolated cases.

I fundamentally believe that Governments all over the world over reacted for reasons we can only speculate and as such did enormous damage that naturally, they are reluctant to face up to!

I also, despite my caustic manner at times, understand why people think the opposite to me believe it or not. I came into Jan 2020 with little or no trust in media, before all the madness started, I accept that that doesn't make me right, but I do react to the scorn shown to posters here who criticized the actions of our government and media.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why are you even concerned about? You made the decision at the time based on the information available, it's done and dusted and now it's time to move on. There will be lots of situations over your life time that you'll make decisions that in hindsight you'd prefer to have done differently, but that is life. It is worse being indecisive because that is by default a decision and I have one cousin who has missed out on so much in life because of not deciding one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

You're trying to be nice in your tone allowing for not being all knowing and subjective. You explain where you're coming from and bring your stuff across reasonably. Do not expect reciprocation. There is a small cohort of posters here who are dominating every single thread on the subject and they will never give an inch. Ever. You will be berated, schooled, patronised and most likely insulted too and thats all you gonna get. They will never ever even concede the smallest point.

• Advertisement

Due to Covid measures (mask wearing, distancing, etc) certain infectious diseases, e.g. the flu took a dive, meaning influenza deaths temporarily dropped in that period. Likewise other infectious respiratory diseases. On top of that respiratory diseases are key causes of heart attacks and strokes which are primary killers in Ireland. Then there were the infirm and very elderly who (unfortunately) were likely to die in that period, caught Covid first and succumbed to that.

Basically there were more deaths from Covid, less deaths from other causes (due in part to side effects and measures from the pandemic)

https://www.thejournal.ie/estimated-1100-excess-deaths-during-pandemic-years-but-fewer-in-2020-partly-due-to-restrictions-6397589-Jun2024/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Doc07

fun facts: no proportional increase in excess deaths in vaccinated v unvaccinated , also as a proportion (i.e. not absolute numbers) lots of published and validated population studies have shown consistently that there were higher Covid-19 hospitalisation and death rates in unvaccinated v vaccinated

"You are obsessed with data from all over the world."

Earlier on the thread you were quoting sources in South Africa about Omicron.

Isn't South Africa "all around the world"??? How can you expect posts to be taken in good faith with such lines in them?

"If I don't trust the Irish data I am not going simply trust the data from anywhere else and I sure as hell don't trust news reports from all over the world."

So why did you trust the data from South Africa? And it wasn't even the actual data, it was a single quote from a single source, that then for you overrode everything else, including proper data from South Africa.

You are just cherry picking the data that suits you, and that includes data from around the world.

It is clear you are presenting an entirely self-serving argument, adhering to no standards of consistency in data.

You set a standard for yourself that you can quote South African sources but when someone else quotes Hong Kong sources they are 'obsessed' with data from 'all around the world'. South Africa isn't in Ireland is it, so it is all around the world too. How is that anything other than a demonstration of blatant double standards and hypocrisy in your posts and language therein?

Any evidence another poster presents you will just apply the same self-serving standard, and dismiss as untrustworthy.

Here again, you cite claims of excess deaths, but no sources. Why do you trust these unknown sources, but not others?

The case you present is utterly unconvincing, and contradictory.

I'll come back to the point, you misrepresented the data from South Africa about Omicron. You took one word out of context, ignoring all the other data and caveats and tried to spin an entire line of argument \ attack on the Irish response out of it. I expect the same tactics repeated again and again, when you write yourself a blank cheque of:

(1) Making claims without sources - because if you provided the sources we could drill in and see the caveats and may well find they actually don't support what you say.

(2) Dismissing any contrary sources as being based on untrustworthy data - even though it is likely in (1) you have cherry picked from the same sources yourself.

(3) With the added self-discrediting double standards of tagging other posters as 'obsessed' but you have a 'keen eye'.

If you had any kind of real solid argument or evidence you wouldn't need to resort to these tactics. It is mere posting bluster to conceal the fact that the canards you post here have been discredited time and time again, both on this forum and in the real world by the actions of every major health authority.

And given that you now state:

I am reluctant to believe the vaccines are causing that increase, I do think it has more to do with the severe impact of two years of lock down, which were exceptionally unhealthy for a myriad of reasons.

Given the title of the thread, that is a much broader debate I feel is off topic. Specific claims relating to the thread topic will continue to be challenged.

Actually the "fun facts" data is even stronger than that in terms of the benefits and safety of Covid vaccination.

The UK published all cause mortality figures for vaccinated versus unvaccinated and the all cause mortality rates were lower for vaccinated.

And these are age standardised mortality rates, meaning the statement is true not just for older demographics, but for all age groups in scope of vaccination.

People who had never been vaccinated against Covid were in general more likely to die, when you standardise the ages of the two groups—and this has been true in every month for which we have data, from January 2021 to December 2022. 

https://fullfact.org/health/covid-vaccines-ONS-florida/

Two things.

Firstly, If there was little excess death because of a lack of deaths from the flu, then that would mean that Covid, in terms of seriousness, was in the envelope of a flu season? Something you would have been castigated for on here at the time.

Secondly, The article you posted is all over the place, there was 1,100 hundred excess deaths between 2020-2021, but none in 2020, so it was all in 2021, but the article also states that the rollout of vaccines would have reduced the rates of death in 2021.

This is the reason why I don't trust media.

The article also states the following -

“It is important to note that there is not one definitive approach to calculating excess mortality – mainly because, whilst observed deaths will ultimately be a matter of record (i.e. they are objective), the calculation of expected deaths is dependent on the choice of methodology (i.e., it relies on professional judgement),” the authors warned.

Then give us the observable death rate then, let us decide what is excess death. If you were to look at death rates in this country over the last ten years, the years 2020/2021 would barely stand out, the years since then you would see a spike. And what is expected deaths, nobody cares about that number, that is a projection. Excess deaths is the number you see over what the average deaths over a period of time, like 5 years or 10 years.

Can you see how that article isn't making any sense? And why do you think our Government told us in January there were no excess deaths in the very same period. Someone is telling us porkies.

So, It all depends then who you trust to inform you (which is not easy these days I will admit), I always think of that famous song, "Don't believe your lying eyes". We can see the death rate has increased over the last few years.

I quoted the doctors in South Africa who discovered the Omnicron variant. I quoted those people becuase what said tallied with our experience of the Omnicron variant, I explained that repeatedly.

I said what I said about the vaccines because of what you have previously accused me of, it's always the same with you.

So, in the words of one of our most Reverend Mods on here, "we are done here"!!

"Firstly, If there was little excess death because of a lack of deaths from the flu, then that would mean that Covid, in terms of seriousness, was in the envelope of a flu season? Something you would have been castigated for on here at the time."

Why would that mean that?

How does that claim make any sense given that the covid deaths occurred during a time of lockdown and restriction?

That is the effect of a heavily restricted covid versus flu.

Far far too quick to reach for the "someone must be telling us porkies" and that we shouldnt trust the data...

When your premise is built on a faulty basis.

I challenge this point on the basis of severity of flu versus covid as an input for peoples decisions wrt covid vaccination

To answer your first question, and to repeat what I wrote earlier, more people dying from Covid, less people from other sources.

Think of it like a net figure.

For your second question about the validity of the report/figures, to borrow from the Irish Times summary:

"The authors of the report acknowledge that the findings of previous research on the subject were based on different assessments of excess death numbers during the period, with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) suggesting Ireland effectively experienced no excess deaths over the period 2020, 2021 and 2022 while the Central Statistics Office (CSO) had argued there had been 3,500 excess death over 2020 and 2021.

It is important to note,” they say, “that there is not one definitive approach to calculating excess mortality – mainly because, while observed deaths will ultimately be a matter of record [ie, they are objective], the calculation of expected deaths is dependent on the choice of methodology [ie, it relies on professional judgment].

The Society of Actuaries contend, however, that its methodology provides more accurate figures while the data employed was more complete than at the time the previous reports were compiled.

In total, it concludes there were 52 excess deaths in 2020 and 1,026 in 2021, giving a total figure for those first two calendar years of the pandemic of 1,078.

It says some previous attempts to gauge the number of excess deaths during the period were flawed because they did not take adequate account of the changing age profile of Ireland’s population before and during the pandemic.

It says its approach was based on “Age Standardised Deaths” and involved taking “the actual deaths by age for each year, and reproportioning them to reflect what they would be if the population had the same size and age distribution every year. In this manner, the distorting effect of changes in population is removed.”"

As for your personal views on trusting the media: Okay. I have a tendency to trust sourced consensus from experts over random lay people from the internet.

This is, for example, why I went with the Irish Covid death statistics which are sourced per World Health Organisation guidelines over your personal guesstimate

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/international-guidelines-for-certification-and-classification-%28coding%29-of-covid-19-as-cause-of-death

If you personally disagree, that's fine

OK

There was no excess deaths in 2020 (the article by the journal and the Government press release both agree on that, so we will focus on just 2020), the year we were in different states of lock down from severe (March - June, Oct-Dec) to mild (July/August).

There was no excess death because there was no flu (just like the poster said). So why was every news bulletin screaming out death numbers the whole way thru 2020 at us, frightening the s##t out of people?

Because the same/similar people that would have succumbed to the flu were succumbing to covid (plus a few hundred, as Covid was a bit nastier than your normal flu). Flu kills people every year too, flu on it's own kills a few dozen but takes out a lot of people with comorbidities, Covid killed a few hundred and more people with comorbidities, it also left a tail of long covid infections. But no where near the thousands we were told were dying.

So now you might think that it was lock downs keeping those numbers down but we were testing people all day every day and getting positives all day every day (obviously lower during the summer months)…we had a level 5 lock down from Jan 2021 to May 2021, when we went into the summer, where numbers would drop….then picked up again in Sept 2021, but at this stage 95% of us were vaccinated, and The Journal article tried to claim that 1,100 excess deaths were recorded in that year.

The article and the Government Press release are not consistent with one another, nor are they even consistent with reality.

2020 - No excess deaths (according to both) - Lock Downs kept the death rate down.

2021 - 1,100 excess deaths according to The Journal. - Despite Lock downs and Vaccines. No excess deaths according to the Government, same result as 2020.

Now, there is something very wrong with those numbers/that data.

There was excess death in 2020, but only a few hundred. I and many like me were castigated on here by many posters for pointing out that we were not seeing thousands of deaths like our media were telling us. And I mean castigated. But we were right, as amateur and all as we were, something wasn't adding up, and that has proven to be the case.

I take your points.

Just for the record, I don't trust random people on the internet either, but Boards over years has a good way of presenting alternate views you won't get in most media companies/sources, it is why I am still here, it provides a community where people can discuss openly issues that I have benefited from myself, whilst my style mightn't convince you per say, there may be someone reading this thread who see a value in an alternate view like mine.

I would have witnessed what happened to experts during that period who didn't go along with lock down policies, and the WHO is not an institute I am ready to trust, but again, I acknowledge that that doesn't make me right.

Anecdotally, I saw a youtube video early on of medical experts who recommended taking Vitc/D and zinc to boost the immune system which is the advice I followed, (because that advice made sense to me)I didn't get sick once, test positive once during the entire period, as crazy it sounds, I have as much right to appreciate those medical experts as I do the vaccine I took. (that video was pulled down within a week of going up, I can't remember the guys names unfortunately).

The truth is normally somewhere in the middle, I find.

• Advertisement

Nope. Nothing necessarily wrong with the data just once again faulty logic and cherry picking of data and misrepresentation.

The poster did not say "because of flu" alone - did they? They listed several factors. So paragraphs about flu rendered redundant because you cherry pick out one line and discredit therefore your own argument.

Covid in 2020 hit us in March. So it is not even two winter seasons v 2021.

Were restrictions in 2020 and 2021 identical?

Was covid identical?

Was behaviour of people wrt taking extra precautions versus covid.

Were population demographics? Were there just more deaths as we have an aging population?

Just some of the factors that any researcher would consider before resorting to conspiracy theories about something being 'wrong' with the data. And most likely answering them goes beyond the scope of this thread.

Paragraphs of dodgy maths completely discredited by failing to pass go.

I dont remember anyone being castigated for that. I do remember lots of people being rightly castigated for 'just asking questions' using loaded questions implying we didnt need vaccines or restrictions because so few people were dying... like asking did you need brakes on car given you hadnt crashed.

So most likely what doesnt add up is your version of events.

We dont need conspiracy theories, we dont even need to answer the questions above in the context of this thread.

Evidence has been posted on the thread showing lower all cause mortality for those vaccinated v unvaccinated. Thats all cause mortality not just covid so completely discredits the notion covid vaccines are detrimental to general health.

Evidence has been posted on the thread showing the significant reduction in hospitalization risk for covid for vaccinated v unvaccinated. So at an imdividual level the benefit is established.

There is therefore no reason for anyone to be ashamed of getting vaccinated and that statement is supported by documented evidence from multiple sources and jurisdictions. Nothing provided in your posts provides a credible counter to that and appear to relate to a separate topic and therefore are irrelevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Nah because I didn't get none 😎🤘

In all honesty, how can you honestly accept that hospitals can discern between outcomes of vaccinated v unvaccinated and simultaneously accept that they can't discern between who catches covid in hospital and who is hospitalized because of covid?

I think there was a difference by the way but mainly in the older demographic. Because I do think they helped, but there was no need for fit and healthy young people to take them. Like I do believe we needed restictions but no where near as severe as we went, young fit and healthy people should have been allowed to live as normally as possible in that time.

And any conversations to the contrary should also consider the damage lock downs did to people and the economy, it is only fair.

But my point still stands, it seemed hospitals were only collecting certain data, and leaving out other important data.

Fair enough.

To add, out of millions of doctors, physicians and health experts in the world there are unfortunately some individuals with extreme views. One American doctor claimed there were "AI chips" in the vaccines. An anti-vaccine nurse posed on Youtube as a doctor and garnered trust and millions of views. An ageing Nobel prize winning scientist started producing all sorts of wild claims. There are countless cases of this.

This is why we don't look at individual experts, we instead look at the collective view of experts, the consensus and the evidence behind it. It doesn't mean the information they produce is always infallible, but it's a lot stronger than e.g. one doctor from Ohio going on record claiming vaccines made them "magnetic".

»I saw a youtube video early on of medical experts who recommended taking Vitc/D and zinc to boost the immune system which is the advice I followed

Indeed it's advised to take vitamins if there's a deficiency e.g. vitamin D (if indoors for a long time) and whilst potentially beneficial, they weren't found to prevent or treat Covid

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/09/08/fact-check-over-counter-vitamins-covid-19-unproven/5652497001/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Pro-vaccination posters point to after-lockdown effects as a cause of excess deaths - to take away from excess deaths being attributed to vaccines. But they also make it seem like excess deaths before the vaccine rollout in January 2021 were caused by covid-19.

In fact many excess deaths should not be attributed to covid - but to lockdowns.

See below story, about excess deaths in Wales and England caused by related effects of lockdown in June 2020:

And theres the blank cheque out as predicted above. Any data that doesnt agree with your predetermined world view is rejected out of hand.

I see no reason to doubt the figures on differential outcomes which have been replicated across the board not just in Ireland.

And also those figures showed that the average age of unvaccinated admitted to hospital for covid was significantly lower than for vaccinated. Young fit and healthy, their risk is lower but covid is a numbers game and it can still send them to ICU.

One reason for vaccines for all adults was to lift restrictions so that high risk hospitality and travel could resume. Vaccines mitigated that high risk so that there would be fewer severe cases resulting from that. The young fit and healthy can still spread covid but if vaccinated less likely to get sick, less likely to make others sick, less likely either party therefore needs hospital care. Its an infectious disease, they dont inhabit separate worlds to the vulnerable and among them are people who dont expect to be vulnerable but are.

You have provided no real explanation as to why the figures are unsound other than conspiracy theory dog whistling. Just asked another question as if the one knocks out the other while simultaneouly providing zero actual foundation as to why the two items of information are as easily or readily discernable. Saying 'honestly' - is that a substitution for any real counter argument or evidence? Utterly unconvincing. Anybody with a solid argument doesnt need such supports.

Cant challenge the data... so we get the conspiracy theory they are deceiving us.

The data on hospitals was repeated from multiple jurisdictions. Are they all in on the conspiracy?

So folks if you are wondering whether you made the right call you can either look at the data provided on the thread from multiple reputable sources and jurisdictions or go down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

I've an honours BSc. in Bio.

It barely qualifies me to read scientific papers. What about you?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

And to listen to the anti vaxxers you would think not one person died of covid full stop. Why dont you just come out and say that as it seems to be your implication?

Meanwhile in the real world people with medical conditions were especially vulnerable to covid and authorities were faced with difficult choices re maintaining care versus risk of exposure to covid itself. Letting covid rip through such vulnerable populations was not an acceptable option. And the UK tried to delay lockdown as long as it could but as its hospital started to fill up - which clearly establishes covid as the cause not lockdowns.

We have also seen how mortality spikes post covid infection and highly likely in these deaths thst is a factor and later tests would not show that.

Oh and still zero evidence linking vaccines with excess deaths and in fact the all cause mortality figures from UK establish the opposite.

You cited the Guardian. Well here are unvaccinated Covid patients in UK hospitals expressing regret about thst decision.

Glenn Barratt passed away in the Diana, Princess of Wales hospital in Grimsby after fighting coronavirus for weeks. The 51-year-old, from Cleethorpes, had opted not to have the vaccine. But his final words to bedside nurses and doctors were: “I wish I had.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/26/covid-patients-tell-of-regrets-over-refusing-jab-vaccine-intensive-care

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

Can anyone tell me if all effects of getting the vaccines are gone from peoples systems now at this stage? I’d imagine so unless someone can point me to scientific evidence.

On a side note I find it very hard listen to people that I know tell me the vaccines etc were not safe. When I’ve witnessed some of them snorting the white stuff off toilet cisterns after it’s been transported here by all means of methods. Hmm sure thanks for your concerns about my vaccine passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

It's like Y2K all over again.

Because the technological world didn't end it's seen as a big nothing, ignoring the millions of hours of work developes and admins put in to prevent a global disaster

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement