Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Haha I know the feeling. To be honest I only beat him with luck. My dodges just happened to work once in about 50 attempts

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I got pretty close in two early attempts, but yeah between the timing/direction required to dodge his direct attacks, and then his AoEs, plus Mimic isn't holding his attention too long because of how quick Messmer moves around... damn he's tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Dragon hunters great katana. Upgraded it to 10 and smashing people.

Hit a complete wall with a boss so going to go explore the world to see if I can find more scadutree and revered spirit ashes

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I found myself in the river of the starting area last night, it's huge and annoyingly doesn't have it's own map as it shows as if you're on the grass of the main map, so no underground map option. Anyway, i have to decide between doing Belarut settlement or Ensis Castle next. Which of those is a side dungeon and which progresses the story?

I was a bit disappointed with the lava intake dungeon. Looks really cool and remembered it from a trailer but was surprised just how short it was and no boss unless i completely missed it 😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only played a little. Got to that first boss and got stuck there because from made the first boss fecking Guts from Berserk.

Messmer is down, I repeat, Messmer is down. F*cking nightmare of a fight. I could do that fight another 100 times and still might not win. I wouldn't say I got lucky, but just everything fell the right way in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Make hay while the sun shines as this bad boy is guaranteed to be nerfed ASAP. It's crazy strong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Certainly enjoying being back playing Elden Ring after two years. It definitely has some of that central drive that makes the game so compelling.

Not sure I’d quite agree with the ‘greatest DLC of all time’ takes just yet though - not at Old Hunters level for me yet. I do think some of the approaches taken here are surprisingly inelegant - both the DLC-only levelling system and the strangely un-From like notes you find scattered around the place. Difficulty definitely seems more ‘we upped the damage output enemies’ attacks do massively’ as opposed to anything thus far. Plenty more to go though so will see how I fare.

I don't even mind enemies doing so much damage, my issue is that some of them are absolutely relentless with it. Their attack chains can be so long, can stunlock you if they hit, and they move so much that you either dodge right into their next attack if you're locked on to them or you end up in a position where you can barely either heal or counterattack before their next attack because they're just out of reach. Some areas also feel a bit over-populated with small enemies just to overwhelm you. One area I passed through had more wolves than Molineux Stadium on a Saturday (Wolverhamption Wanderer's stadium, and yes, I did have to look that up).

But of course, that Elden Ring/FromSoftware joy still carries through. The exploration and level design is just incredible. And I can't wait for VaatiVidya to explain to me what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

• Advertisement

God damn it, an NPC quest was ruined because I wasn't able to summon him for a certain fight like he asked me to, but I could never find his summon sign at the gate. Reading online that some people have put messages over the summon sign. F*cking idiots...

Think I've reached the endgame area, but going to try explore a few more of the other areas I've missed, try level up a bit more.

I hate what messages have become in Souls games. It used to be that 90% were either helpful, funny or trolling (which has always been a staple of the fun messaging system) but in Elden Ring, 90% of messages are just stupid. I've gotten to the point where i run past most of them. Thanks for the tip about the npc summon sign, will keep an eye out for it

Sounds like some of ye are near the end, did ye swap to any new weapons or ashes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Been away for 3 weeks, only got back today, went total blackout on the DLC.

Looking forward to getting an hour or two in now😁

If you have good Dex points, then his weapon Spear of the Impaler is meant to be one of the best in the game. Not tried it myself yet

Yeah the messages are crap but every now and then it pointed out a hidden path for me

I have upgrade materials to upgrade 4 Somber weapons all the way. Not yet decided which 4

I must check what stones are needed for upgrades. I feel like I've collected a quarry amount of stones in this dlc.

Yeah stones are plentiful for the most part. The Ghostflame Dragons also drop Somber Ancient Dragon Stones, I've gotten 3 so far. Got maybe 3 normal Ancient Dragon stones in other places.

"If you have good Dex points, then his weapon Spear of the Impaler is meant to be one of the best in the game. Not tried it myself yet"

Got it from the Rememberence alright, but I'm more Int than Dex so may have to respec to use it properly.

Post edited by Penn on

Went back to Belurat Settlement after the first time it kicked my ass. For my scud blessings to 3 and found it much handier, waltzed through it. The dancing lion boss was class but i got him on first try, felt a bit too easy with the npc summon and mimic but feck it, enough things in this game kill me so i don't feel bad about it.

Look at me, I'm doing the dancing now.

Oof Rellana packs a punch but only 1 try and 2/3's health gone with me being a bit risky but that's enough tonight. Very tempted to upgrade Milady, i always liked great swords but never liked 2 handing so that might be a good compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The last quarter of health is where that fight gets… interesting 🌝🌚

Next 2 attempts, sliver of health left and she hits the magic moon ball things and instant death from stuck in animation. I thought my build was cheesy.

Got her on the 4th go. Those twin swords look tasty.

It seems to be instant death if it hits you, no question. There is a long wind up at least but even then the way to avoid it is pretty specific and prescriptive IMO.

You actually need to jump over the first two waves and then dodge roll the third. Easier said then done given the timing and the need to get so far into the fight to even practice dodging it.

When she had about 1/4 health left, i legged it back to let my buddies finish her but they weren't doing too much damage. Distraction anyway for me to run in and hit 3 blooboone rituals to finish her off before she could even do the move.

I think you can jump the third too, or at least I think I managed it on the time I beat her. Timing is tight though. At the very least, not getting hit with all three parts means it shouldn't kill you. It's nasty though. I tried the spell from her rememberance but the AoE isn't as far.

"Those twin swords look tasty."

Her swords are cool to use but would take some getting used to. The weapon skill puts you in a stance and activates both swords effects, then standard attacks are magic and heavy attacks are fire.

Very possible triple jump works too - the jump, jump, roll got me through safely a few times so seems fairly solid.

It was a tough fight for me due to the boss’ magic resistance. Kept hitting against a wall when my spirit ash died near the end. But got through fairly quickly…

… after reading she was vulnerable to frostbite. Glintstone Icecrag really did the job for me as it hit her with a big chunk of extra damage every few hits.

Seems like the main cheese strat for her going around is

use Spirit Ashes with soldiers who have big shields (can't remember which set exactly or if they're new ashes found in the DLC). They pretty much surround and stunlock her for huge sections of the fight because she has such low poise.

Great shield soldier ashes. I have those at +10. Between those and mimic, i haven't had the need to try any other spirit ash.

I give Black Knife Tiche a run every now and again, depending on if I'm struggling against the boss (or once yesterday when I picked her by accident and she helped wreck the boss).

• Advertisement

Yeah I’ve used Tiche a fair bit in the DLC and she wrecks some enemies.

Advertisement