Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I didn’t notice it too much in the second game, but some really obvious thrown balls in the first game (and most games these days). Referees have just completely given up enforcing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork did what they had to do today, they won.

Were they convincing - no.

Did they need to be - no.

I will expect all guns blazing in 2 weeks time. Getting up for Offaly and Dublin was not necessary.

Limerick will be clear favourites, that's fine with Cork fans - of which there were many there today, fairly pityful crowd from the other 3 counties combined by comparison.

Sure we'll have a go.

Ref ruined the second game with a really stupid decision to issue the first yellow. He should have issued a dozen throughout the game is that was the standard.

As expected, 3 Munster teams and Kilkenny in the semi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

After seeing Kilkenny in Leinster final and knowing how much they like and feel comfortable playing in Croke Park and also watching Clare last two games i would have Kilkenny warmer favourites than todays odds suggest. I was expecting something like Kilkenny 8/11 and Clare 11/8 and would be surprised if that's not what the odds end up as the closer we get to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Clare have a lot of big units now, Duggan was anonymous today and Shanaher hit & miss but if they click they could physically dominate KK I think. Kelly & O'Donnell were flying.

As a neutral I'm looking forward to it a lot.

I think Kilkenny will win if I had to choose but hopefully it's a close game that goes down to the wire.

Both matches today were very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Limerick are obviously bloody good at the business end of things but I do think this Croke Park point forgets they haven't actually played a Munster team in CP since 2021 (when, admittedly they hammered them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Why does it matter that it was a Munster team or not.

They beat Galway and Kilkenny who were both there by knocking out Clare, Tipp and Cork.

If this is just some stupid Munster Vs Leinster windup I don't get your point because we have embarrassed any Munster team we met in Croke Park on the 4 in a row run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

dowling controversial but interesting… seamus hickey is depressing.. and tj ryan isnt much better.. some craic if Donie Ryan (TJ's brother) was analysing games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

No,it's related to the fact that, for example, Limerick last year lost won, drew one and won two (by a point and 2 points respectively) in Munster so you'd like to see how they'd have fared against the same teams in CP (but obviously its those teams' fault they didn't get that far - no issue taken with that).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Seamus Hickey is a pain in the derrière. TJ is good. I like Dowling and his point today was well made. How in God's name can you let a man run 11 steps against the rules because he himself has been fouled and is on an 'advantage'. As soon as he hits the 4 steps the ref has to blow him up and give the free..he cannot let him tsje another load of steps illegally in some bizarre attempt at advantage. No other sport in the world allows an advantage like that. The throwing by Shane Barratt today was outrageous and the steps by O Donnell for his goal was crazy..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Can't remember the last time any goal was disallowed for steps. And the players know this too.

The rulebook might not be followed to the letter but the refs also know that people want to see great scores they don't want to be watching lots of pulling and dragging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Seadin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well done to Cork fans turning up in their 1000s again today! What on earth is wrong with the other 3 counties! Woeful attendance by them and indeed same story last week with Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭newhouse87

I think you will find its only tipperary fans don't turn up according to boards members. Don't let facts get in the way of a false narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

having two hurling matches on a saturday afternoon at 1:15 and 3:15 when most people have to work is half the problem , having them on at that time to make way for some stupid rugby match or the euros is a total joke ,

lets make all these counties drive 2 hours plus at that hour of the day so some armchair supporters up the country have plenty to watch on telly for the day , i barely got the day off work to go to it

Bizarre comment and nothing to do with the conversation being had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Not everyone has a Monday to Friday job. Saturday is a working day for a fair amount of people.

our county board has the same remark made to jarlath burns , they also criticised the late throw in times in the saturday evening games like the league final last April against kilkenny as an example, there basically saying put all main hurling games on a sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

Attendances are very fluctuating, Wexford at home to Galway only had 6,000'ish probably more Wexicans away to Carlow in the next round.

Mayo in a home All Ireland Quarter final in football only had 13,000

The GAA are taking supporters for granted, there's so much sport available now on all the channels it's very easy for supporters not to travel. It's very noticeable that bandwagoning is getting more common. Had Offaly more supporters in Nolan Park for the U20 final than for the Preliminary Quarter Final?

then you have people on rte all year calling hurling a rare specie and under threat to the games of rugby and soccer ….roight ,… but not to mention the donkey derbies of the also rans of the tailteann cup

reality is these are great attendances for the brutal times of day these games are being played at , 1 o'clock on a saturday ffs??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Hard to blame offaly fans for showing up in big numbers for the chance of their first all Ireland win in donkeys years, and then again in decent numbers for the Joe mc, but then not showing up to watch an almost certain hammering against a team they aren't at all ready to face and everyone knows it.

• Advertisement

And so do I. But if it was a Sunday I can guarantee a much bigger crowd but the same imbalance! Look at Cork v Tipp inThurles. A championship game with everything on the line and the rebels outnumbered them probably 10-1 on their own ground...

Similar for Waterford v Cork. Home game for Waterford, start of championship yet the red and white was the bigger crowd....

Sunday is a working day for a fair amount of people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭threeball

The GAA is dying on its feet and the top brass are more interested in revenue from use of stadia and other streams to be bothered.

Whether its the entertainment value in most football games, ruining pitches for concerts, the shortened IC season, the lack of visibility of top hurling games, or having underage soccer push in to traditional gaa months and the loss of players as a result.

There's a myriad of problems being ignored and just because they throw on loads of additional games which keeps the yearly attendance figures looking good, people are voting with their feet. 5 big games on across both codes yesterday and none with the crowd you'd expect for the calibre of game that was on offer.

Next week will be similar. Even the Dublin QF in the football will struggle to fill Croke Park even with 3 other teams involved. We're on a slippery slope and already on our arse and sliding.

Oh FFS we have been hearing this existential "dying" shte for almost 140 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Montys return

Cork has nearly 5 times the population that Waterford does.

And I would say there was not much in it despite the talk beforehand.

Cork sent tickets back 2 years ago for the match in Walsh Park if you really want to go down this road. Explain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Not made with hands

It's called a bandwagon. Every time a county gets momentum they all step on board.

Every county is the same, yet every county wants to believe they have better supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah now we all know some counties in particular follow their county through thick and thin. In hope, expectation or even exasperation. There are others who only show up in great numbers when their team is doing well.

It is not simply a question of "sunshine supporters" who are sometimes an annoyance to the regulars, getting tickets for the big games etc.

The truth is some counties per captia have more diehard supporters than other counties, and others have more sunshine supporters per capita. It is almost traditional/cultural at this stage.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The population of Cork is 5 times that of Waterford so naturally you'd expect that ratio of fans at any game. Thought it was a pretty even split in Walsh Park, the red probably stands out visibility more so against white/blue.

Not meaning to take away from Cork fans (well hurling anyway), hearing of events being cancelled already for the Limerick game so they'll bring a massive crowd to that. Wouldn't be surprised to see 75k+ at it.

Of course while I was praising the Cork hurling support earlier worth a mention that Corks football support is atrocious!! We know the arguments, hurling county etc, but for the size of the county its an embarrassment tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭newhouse87

9th July 2016 cork v wexford 17:00

Clare v limerick 19:00

Less than 15.5k in semple stadium.

Preliminary QFS.

Time had nothing to do with it, all counties have up and downs in support depending on their current level. Simple facts, people need stop making stupid excuses. Same with every single county.

Advertisement