Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PJ - Marlay Park - Sat 22 June 24

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

What an amazing experience, so glad the stars lined up in order to see them. Getting in and out of the venue was a breeze as well, managed to park in an estate opposite the entrance, so was inside within 10 minutes of parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Evidently not, despite the image over 3 massive screens. Great song, great singalong, buy always know not to be that guy.

Also...Release. literally could've gone home happy. I was back near the bar at grange road entrance and my voice is shattered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Just back home... what a fab gig.. loved Richard Ashcroft... what a fantastic voice..

then PJ just played dished out an incredible gig... fantastic selection of songs.. the songs off the new album sounded great..

Ed was in great voice and in a great mood!

did any of you think he sounded quite outta breath a lot?

the band played brilliantly and looked really on it...

the crowd were in great, summer form...

and i loved the visuals on the wrap-around stage!

i have loved PJ since the very beginning... just cant believe how old we are all getting ahd how quickly time is passing by!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Great gig

Post edited by el Fenomeno on

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Tinter Box

what a terrible venue to get in and out of. Won’t be back. Wish it was PJ Harvey though instead of this PJ pearl Jam nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just like trip advisor, you'll have one person comment saying access was exceptional, with the next saying it was terrible. I can't fault a thing, although I did decide to leave when the last cover song kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Fantastic show, great crowd, and very easy to get in and out of the venue, nothing like the horror reports I've heard of other years.

I didn't take a single photo all night, opting to just stayed engaged with the performance. I was at the barrier when Eddie came down during Alive. A great moment.

Nothing negative to say about the entire night. One could be churlish and say, "They didn't play...", but after a show of that calibre, that's just being very fussy.

Superb.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

FIrst time seeing them and fck me it was savage! Only had one song i wanted not be on the setlist but feck it I'll get over it! I would have loved it to be a bit darker for the last of the set, that would have only added to the atmosphere.

End of the night had a bit of bad moment when some fck head decided to climb up the scaffolding and lay into the lad on the PA on the way out to the busses. Gave him some fcking punches for no reason at all. Hope he is enjoying his night in a cell the shıthead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭Penfailed

How can you skip the queue? Everyone is funnelled between the railings.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭Penfailed

That was absolutely brilliant from start to finish. What a set!?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sp00k

Great gig, amazing setlist. My first time in Marlay Park. It is painful trying to get back to city centre after though (should have organised something I know), I wouldn't be rushing back to the place without good reason anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Regarding yer man, scaffold guy, he was a few in front of me when he punched some person(s) for seemingly invading his personal space as we were all queueing out. Felt sorry for the PA guy as he was having a bit of craic with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

That must have been the fella we seen the cops being over the top with (we thought anyway!) - they hit him with a steel truncheon, handcuffed him and also pepper sprayed him I think! 2 girls got some of the pepper spray too supposedly. Not nice seeing all that sh*te after such a great show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

No way, the guy with the megaphone making the jokes about going left or right? Wow. Some people.

I enjoyed the gig, warmed up to it about halfway through, as it was sort of a "by the numbers" set really. I enjoyed hearing the new songs, Wreckage and React Respond were great, and Setting Sun is a good closer. Was really hoping for RVM but alas…

I supposed I've been spoiled in recent years, having seen both Hyde Park shows (where they only played two songs in common) and then a 3 hour+ set in Rome a few years back. So this set did feel like a greatest hits / festival set.

Atmosphere was good. We had a nice bit of space under a speaker tower. Crowd very chilled for the most part. Queues for the bar were INSANE so didn't even bother. Got out really easily, was able to park up the road so no issues. Cops were very busy moving cars that were pulled in waiting to collect people all along Grange Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Voice is fucked this morning. What a gig. Seems from the setlist photo they planned on closing with Yellow Ledbetter, but ran out of time.

Richard Ashcroft was very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Was the bar actually bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭YellowLead

For some of the time the queue was so big it started well before the railings. You had some people walking up and merging in as it hit the railings. Once inside the railings it moved fairly fast, but if you were somebody who queued properly before that it took ages because of the constant stream of new people merging on ahead of you. Longest bar queue I’ve ever been in at a gig as a result. They also ran out of the paper holder things. But first world problems! The music was awesome and that’s what matters.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,469 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wasn't the worst I've ever experienced, but at its busiest probably about two songs length from the time you entered the zig zag fencing till you got served and out.

The worst I ever experienced was stone roses in phoenix park.

After all my giving it earlier about parking for €27, it was an absolute god send and I'll do it again in a heart beat. The only heavy-ish traffic we hit was the slip road off junction 13. From there right to the car park was a breeze, and getting out was simple and very well organised. We were back down in Laois at home by midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Can't believe someone went for the PA guy!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I enjoyed that…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

What was the intro? I assume Eddie explained it was a song about abusive relationships?

Missed the gig unfortunately, sounds like it was great. Very envious now but I couldn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

I assume Ashcroft was hinting he was about to announce a gig hear when he said he has played in Ireland for a while, I wonder why

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭kg703

Took me over two hours to get home to dun laoghaire so I think from now on, it's gonna have to be a driving job. Easy to get in, bus took us straight there, can't understand why they cut off nearly all public transport, surely there is a way to have a better management plan.

Other than that, PJ were 10/10 for me. What a night. Was annoyed about paying so much for gold circle but I'm very glad I did! Sound was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Hope you didn't leave after Setting Sun. They played Alive and Rockin in the free world after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Was gutted I had to sell my tickets for their show in 2006, and reading reviews on last night im gutted I didn't bite the bullet and head up to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭mollser

Absolutely phenomenal show, they are simply the best rock band around. Absolute bangers all night, the crowd was so into it. Worth every penny for the golden circle.

I really thought we were in trouble early in when eddie got McCready to do a random guitar solo, he was seriously out of breath and I really feared it was going to be cancelled. Thank the lord he got going again.

Massive crowd, despite all the giving out about ticket sales etc. Just wow. The intensity they drive i just haven't experienced at other concerts. Hopefully they come back soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

He was talking about the protest he saw for the scumbag judge who let off the scumbag woman beater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Yeah transport can be a joke for there at the best of times. Not an easy venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭COH

Ironically Helen McEntee was just in front of us in the crowd

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to hear about PA guy, he would have no expectation of being a target, so expect scumbag managed to do some damage. Great to hear the Guards didn't hold back.

I like to record audio of songs at gigs, to listen back and relive the experience later, but not missing being in the moment that can happen with video. Quality isn't exactly Dolby Atmos, but gets the crowd experience. If anyone is interested in a link when I upload them, just send me a PM.

Advertisement