Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's it in a nutshell.

They should have killed, or at least tried to kill them early.

But they couldn't.

They are not dynamic enough to be able to do deal with 15 behind the ball that Derry came out with.

On a more positive note, the full back line remains strong, and the half back line is not too bad either, no need for experiments like putting Connor Loftus in there this year.

And Tommy Conroy seems to have gotten back to or is at least getting back to close to what we were used of him pre injury

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

We don't deserve to win anything when we go at least 20 mins without scoring. We didn't score in the last 12mins of normal time and at 8 mins of extra time.

The first half of normal time and extra time done us in.

I think mcstay is done. The one blindingly obvious fault mayo had before he started was mayo being unable to score long range points when faced with a blanket defence. Here we are 2 years into his regin and he has done nothing to resolve it.

Mcstay has gone backwards in year 2. I don't think he deserves year 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ballina1953

were derry playing last week

most of their players looked older than ours

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Westernview

Derry were definitely very average. Not having a left footed freetaker or big midfielder sub option are ongoing issues for Mayo. Bob will probably make a fine midfielder in time but he had no influence coming on the last 2 games.

Not having the composure to wind down the clock is the most frustrating part though. Conor lost the ball in a late attack in normal time and Sam's point attempt was low percentage. We retained the ball for 3 or 4 minutes at different stages during the game. Just needed an extra minute at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Huge progress made in that they no longer see Loftus as a CB.... but outside of that, not much. I'm sure McStay will be able to put some spin on it though.

There has also been big progress on not conceding goals. Any return to full Horan ball would see us leaking badly again.

There must be a happy medium though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭PressRun

What's worse is how entirely predictable it was. The longer they were left in it, the more likely it was that they'd find a way to win, and we made that a certainty. Every team knows they have a chance against us if they just keep it competitive for long enough.

Honestly I felt at the time of the draw that it was the worst draw for us and probably the best for Derry. If they'd had to face Dublin instead of us, I think they'd have been picked apart fairly easily, but with us, the opposition is never really out of it and they know this. Playing us is always a great opportunity for a team to get a big win because we never actually comprehensively put anyone away.

I would also love some insight into the influence of Stephen Rochford. Donegal were not in the place they are in now when he was with them and are now much improved since he and the rest of that management left. I can't help but feel as though the style of play, the overly cautious, ponderous build up etc with the Mayo squad now has him written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Ah yeah but we were making the quarter finals bare minimum with Horan and his style of play - we’re not leaking goals but there’s little chance of us scoring them too

Yes we're not scoring but it's important to acknowledge that we aren't conceding. We don't have the same amount of athletic runners we had during the Horan era so a change in style was needed. Also as I mentioned last week the full tilt attacking meant we lost games in the last 10 to 15 mins with fatigue. The problem we seem to have now is not closing out games.

• Advertisement

TIME TO STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THEM

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Declan Bonner was manager during Rochford`s time with Donegal and caution first and foremost would be very much Bonner`s style.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Over to you ladies .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

We had a couple of goal chances yesterday, just didn't take them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭crusd

O'Shea was sprinting up and down the sideline warming up during extra time. I was certain he was coming back on. Looks like he was actually trying to make a point

When the 5 lads lined up I thought to myself from a technical ability point of view is there anyone else in the squad apart from those 5 you'd want taking the penalties. Possibly James Carr. Thats about it.

What games did we lose due to fatigue? We lost games for plenty of reasons... but I wouldn't put fatigue down as one.

In fact, we were probably (up with Dublin) in terms of the best conditioned team by some distance for a large period. We won plenty of games based on our better S&C.

It's impossible to tell from outside the camp how much he had left to give or how much he would have recovered by extra time. McStay said his race was run so if that was the case there was little point putting him back on sideline sprints or not.

I'd argue that fatigue played a big part when we lost most of the big games against Dublin over the last decade - especially on the home straight when Dublin had superior subs to bring on. Whereas we had to persist for longer with players that started the game. Last weeks game with Dublin was noticeable under the different playing style how we kept with Dublin until the end even though the Dubs brought on McCaffrey, Mannion and McCarthy. We couldn't match those changes but we had enough in the legs until the end.

I do get the point that this new conservative style is going to leave players fresher / less drained... but for years we outran and outworked the majority of other teams, and it brought more wins than losses, just not against Dublin mainly. They had equal or better S&C combined with a bench to add to that. On the whole, the running game suited us imo.

Now we're playing a similar game of cat and mouse with other teams and we're not as good at it versus a lot more teams rather than just the very top teams. That would be my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I agree but we don't have the same quality of players now as well. I did think last eight would be a best case all year until a short lived Dublin performance which did offer some sign of improvement. However if you look back over the last few months, this is probably about right as any decent team was going to knock us out. Horan could play that full on football as he had some cracking footballers at the right age. We don't have the same quality now and the guys who could do it during the Horan era are too old with too much played.

• Advertisement

We have seen the pros and cons of both systems now. Exciting Horan-ball blowing the majority of teams away but leaking goals to the top teams. McStay-ball slower and more cautious, less taxing for players and not conceding soft goals but also not finishing teams off when the opportunity is there.

Arguments can be made over and back for both systems but we just don't seem to have the quality of player to succeed with either approach at the moment.

It's hard to say without seeing them play a running game, and while they're younger and not as established to those we are comparing them against... I do think we've the backs that could have slotted in very well to Horan's style.

They'll never / won't have a chance to gain a reputation the others had when they're playing packed defence versus packed defence, but I think the likes of McBrien, Brickenden, Hession, Callinan etc would all suit a running game.

I'm in danger of sounding like I want a return to Horanball, I don't. We've been there and done that. I just think McStay has gone to the template and not delivered on it.

I expected him to bring a bit of brains / movement to our attacking play but there's no thought, plan or structure to it. Lateral ball across the defence followed by a handpass into the crowded middle… ironically enough, relying on strong runners to make something happen. Compare that to Derry that went over one side and worked us over there only to switch play quickly for a scoring chance. I think they scored 3 or 4 almost identical points late on doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭BandMember

McStay should be gone now with no way back. His complete botch job of game management, team selection, substitutions, tactics etc. have cost us yet another year. Instead, his media buddies will ensure that he avoids the hard questions and the players shoulder all the blame while McStay escapes scot free. We've gone backwards at a rate of knots under him and there is potential in the squad and beyond to be playing and getting a lot better results than we currently are. Time to move on, fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Looks like Roscommon will be the only Connacht team to make the semis. And if they were to draw Donegal/Louth they will probably make the final.

What will the potential new rules mean though. Everyone advocates things we should address for next year but the point may be moot when it comes around.

If Derry had been required to keep 3 players in the Mayo half would we have struggled to create as much?

With two point arc would Mayo players finally start putting in a sufficient amount of kicking practice? Bag of balls and a young lad to kick them back 2 evenings a week, and Sunday mornings when no game, for every player.

With kick out required to go 45 meters will players start backing themselves to win primary possession like Jordan did in extra time? Will Colm be able to kick his instinct to allow look for the short opportunity first thus missing space further out?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Ya this is my overall thinking too, but i think they'll give him another year.

There's no hiding place after a 3rd season & they will terminate his 4th if drastic improvement isn't seen next yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Horan's last year with Mayo was losing Quarter final to Kerry by 8 points. Under McStay and his well stocked management it's been Quarter final defeat to Dublin by 12 points last year and last Saturday a further regression with a championship exit before the Quarter final in what was a very winnable home game against a bang out of form Derry team.

Good young players in the team at the moment and more coming through to build a solid base but the "consistently competitive" team from 2011 to 2021 that saw the county reach many All Ireland semi finals and finals probably won't be matched by a Mayo team again in the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭BandMember

Why waste another year though? Does anyone actually see any change given the shambles this season has been with one bad move after another and not using the squad correctly? He'll get another year because there's zero scrutiny from his media mates and the County Board are too gutless to acknowledge that the appointment was farce from the off. It's so disillusioning to see players careers being wasted and the likes of Cillian and Aidan probably finishing up before there's a change.

too many players chickened out when a shot was

took the easy option and passed it to someone else

at the risk of having more wides i d prefer to see them taking on long more range shot

too many teams have to run through and THROW the ball over the bar or palm it into the net

• Advertisement

Sounds like you're advocating for a third Horan term. That would be a retrograde step at this stage.

Instead of blaming current management questions need be asked of the players inability to run the clock down by holding pn to possession for an extra minute. Loftus gave the ball away very cheaply near the end of normal time, shortly before callinan fisted wide. Players should be capable of knowing how to do this regardless of tactics on the line.

Advertisement