Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Extra dot ie has what can only be called a riveting piece of journalism today on Tubs. Fascintating insights altogether into our hero.

I won't ruin it for avid readers, but here's a taster!

"After getting into running last year, Ryan took to Instagram on Friday morning to share his gorgeous early-morning exercise route by the sea.

‘Swapping London for Dublin this morning,’ he said.

Soundtracked to Louis Armstrong’s Isn’t This A Lovely Day, Ryan is seen in the video wearing a white exercise t-shirt, shades and has his white Airpods in."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The whole brand idea is interesting. Did Tubridy ever have a brand outside RTE? Was that brand, like Tubridy's TV and radio audience, really RTE's all along? Now, he is trying to reinvent himself in Virgin Radio but without that whole marketing engine of RTE. The 2FM influencers who left a few weeks ago all have brands independent of RTE.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I'd argue that Jenny Z doesn't really have a brand outside of RTÉ. Doireann is iffy on that one, but time will tell.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭yagan

Lotti's brand is rte.

She has a lot of name recognition. The Two Johnnies have an existence outside RTE and their decision must have come as a bit of a surprise to RTE management. With Tubridy, people always think "RTE" and many now associate him with the payments scandal. The spike in audience figures for Doireann Garrihy and Vogue Williams is a good indication of the influencer effect.

Regards…jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Outside of RTÉ she is known for The Apprentice from 2008. After not much else until Republic Of Telly which lead to Breakfast Republic and then to Bridget and Eamon. Since then she's become an RTÉ person. I don't see her presence elsewhere, and TBH it seems to me as if she's not that bothered about the career she had, I could be wrong.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭animalinside

Jesus christ what kind of headline is that - I thought Paul McCartney had passed away or something had gone terribly wrong on his tour. It's very unnatural. Why not just "Saddened to Realize I May Have Seen Paul McCarney in Concert for the Last Time", would make a lot more sense. Westerners go to Argentina all the time without any special event being on, if he really wanted to see him he could easily fly there but he couldn't be arsed.

Also how rude of him to say "one last time before he gets too old to tour". I googled it to see if there was talk of it being his last, maybe McCartney had said it was probably his last tour - not at all. He actually said the opposite: "Paul said he isn’t retiring so it’s probably not his last. As long as his health allows, he’s going to continue touring and making music".

https://extra.ie/2024/06/23/entertainment/ryan-tubridy-beatles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mountain

in the old days…

he would of had RTE pay for a nice trip out there as part of his show

• Registered Users Posts: 29,271 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Along with a cabal of RTE special 'advisors', 'valued partners' and 'strategic management interests ' . AKA RTE top brass, family and friends and friends of the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭gipi

Wasn't Jennifer at TodayFM, isn't that where she made her "radio bones", so to speak? She was Jennifer Maguire back then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭GSF

according to one person, he’s a millionaire. I’m surprised he can’t afford even an economy flight to South America. It’s a good place to hide out if you are a wanted man 😉

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

no he couldn’t go to Chile, Argentina or Peru because nobody would recognise him out there….. he’d most likely have to attend the concerts as an member of Joe Public… and mix with plebs….. Dangerous plebs to Bryan Tubridy though as they speak a different language, and are slightly browner…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Another Sunday, another Tubridy puff piece. It's an industry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

Ryan Tubridy has said he has “no escape” from fans as he is recognised by people all over the world.

The 49-year-old broadcaster told RSVP Live that he has been noticed while on holiday abroad. "I was in Iceland, and a guy went, ‘Tubs, welcome to Reykjavik!’ I’ve gone to some strange countries and there’s just no escape.”

"The Late Late Show is quite a thing,” he continued. "New York is hilarious, I’ve been to New York and in the subways, I get, ‘What are you doing here Tubs?’ I’m actually okay with it and I love my job so it’s fine."

https://m.sundayworld.com/showbiz/irish-showbiz/ryan-tubridy-says-there-is-no-escape-from-fans-as-he-is-recognised-all-over-the-world/152416679.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

sure he’d be well recognised in Chile

Isn't Tubridy's problem that he is not wanted, especially in RTE? :)

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭supereurope

Yep, had the events of last year not happened he'd probably be pitching "Ryan Tubridy in South America" to RTÉ right now.

Christ, imagine being that deluded.

And at the end of that article Tubridy even talking about how much he wants to travel and see the world, less than 2 years ago.

"I made a promise to myself after the pandemic finished I said I’m going to travel and I’m travelling and I’m enjoying it," he said.

"I found the pandemic very heavy going, like everyone else, and I want to see the world and I want to run."

Now's his opportunity. If he's crestfallen then why not go - it'd even give him new material for articles as well.

https://www.argentina.travel/en/about-argentina/news/paul-mccartney-in-argentina-when-he-plays-and-how-to-get-there

wonderful country to travel to, plenty of Irish connections too, endless material to write about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

A go-fund-me on the radio forum for Ryan's travel adventures would probably keep him in round the world trips for the rest of his life.

"It comes after he revealed that he was launching his very own podcast that was all about books." The podcast that gets around 150 views a day on Youtube? It is almost as if he ages in those photos as he fades into obscurity.

The Sindo seems to have completely dropped him after the Sindo and Indo almost championed his return to RTE a year ago. Then came the Oireachtas appearances and few, if any, Irish national broadcasters wanted to hire him after those. And it is a week to the end of Q2 2024 and those listening figures being calculated.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

If somebody else was paying for the jaunt, he'd be first onto that plane.

What's puzzling me is the comment that McCartney is only touring in South America. He's playing in London and in Manchester at the end of this year and those dates were announced by the time that comment was published. The asking prices for some of those tickets is beyond ridiculous though. You'd nearly be better off flying all the way out to South America instead.

Tubridy isn't an A-lister in London. It is very much a "Bryan who?" situation for him. Has there been any UK show biz media coverage of him?

Regards…jmcc

You're right, it was announced in the media six days ago: https://www.nova.ie/paul-mccartney-announces-2024-uk-and-european-tour-251495/

Tubridy must have been planning/writing this article since before his last one was published, and liked the idea of how he was so crestfallen, that he would miss Paul McCartney's final tour because he's a bit old and no doubt won't have any more, and didn't even bother… oh my god - oh my god my sides, I'm getting wheezing laughter, if I'm found dead you know who to blame.

…he didn't even bother to correct it a week later before putting it in one of the biggest Sunday newspapers in Ireland. Probably he'd be looking for overtime to fix it before going out to thousands and thousands of people. And like that would be interesting information, like a piece of trivia, how Paul McCartney decided to end his touring career like that in just those three South American countries, shows how you can't trust Tubridy for even the most basic of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭yagan

Terry Prone has a piece about RTEs fall from grace in todays Examiner and Bryan isn't spared..

It looks rundown and disrespected, rather as if a tsunami went through it, just a year ago, although that’s what actually happened. Tsunamis, unlike hurricanes, don’t get names. If they did, this one would be named Ryan Tubridy.

Later on in the piece she really lays it on him

But if the Tubridy payments had never been made or discovered, none of the rest would have happened. Unintentional causality must be laid at his door, and what was caused was a broad-spectrum disaster with startling implications, not just for broadcasting, but for public accountability and for the workings of the houses of parliament.

It's a fair piece but the concluding musings about RTE's present role compared to its past stop short of admitting what the core problem is. Before radio and then TV the verb to Broadcast meant to spread seed, whereas the internet is as revolutionary to the forming, sharing and dissemination of ideas as the printing press was in its time. Broadcasting is the giving and receiving of information, the internet blurs the lines between receivers and broadcasters and legacy media simply can't compete with it.

Bryan keeping his youtube comments closed is as luddite as it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Maybe he is trying to wangle a free ticket to the London show. Like an influencer, give me a freebie and I'll big you up in my article and on my show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭GSF

his audience of 100 people on virgin radio wouldn’t probably justify the promoters giving him a freebie

• Advertisement

As no. 1 fan, and a big media force, has he not been invited to tea yet at his neighbours?

Advertisement