Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier beats a woman unconscious, gets a great reference from his commanding officer, avoids jail.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Probably and all the articles about it seem to be agreeing that the bear is the best option. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

You think the abortion referendum is all about hatred of men and not giving more rights to women? You seem to really hate female NGOs but I can't see why you attack them over a referendum result that the majority of men supported too.

I hope the women sees some so of justice and could understand why she thinks the marches are a way to highlight the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

tbh the minute I read Coppinger was involved my heart sank

I never mentioned NGOs, I was talking about male hating feminists celebrating the abortion result, that was disgusting in my opinion but that is another issue.

what I hate is this lets all demonize men attitude because of the actions of a tiny minority of crazy men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

And hatred of men has nothing to do with abortion. The marchs yesterday were not against all men just male on female violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's a pity this has descended into race and gender nonsense.

I disagree with this case being discussed as a gender based crime, but the fact is Natasha had no chance to defend herself. Crotty apparently ran away when another man intervened. Based on that, it's safe to assume he wouldn't have been such a hardman if a man had asked him to stop his homophobic slurs.

The protests should call for more prison places, meaningful sentences for all crimes, an end to judges protecting the careers of criminals and taking a guilty plea into account, when that was only entered after being shown proof of the crime and denied prior to that.

There should be a minimum custodial sentence for all types of violent crimes, and that should be applied equally regardless of the gender of the victim and perpetrator. A scumbag is a scumbag regardless of their genitalia.

It does, it was all about "how dare a man tell me what I can and can not do with my body" and lots got brainwashed by that message. I have talked to people who admitted they got caught up in that narrative and regret voting yes.

Stupid to have marches about male on female violence when that isn't the issue in this case and how can you ever actually stop male on female violence? you cant. There will always be dangerous men and women who will attack and kill people, male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Well said, it’s the cause they are looking for, not helping anyone.

If they were genuinely concerned they’d do something to help. I was in Manchester not too long ago and in the gay village they have the “Village Angels” - volunteers who help patrons - people who’ve had too much to drink, vulnerable people on their own etc. They were founded to help the gay community in the area but look after all.

Why not combine to work with Gardai to help make at least one area of their city safe for a period of time? It would be better than posting bear memes!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭csirl

We're getting a lot of posts about military courts etc. Surely this guy is simply going to resign and avoid it all? No employee is subject to an employers rules once they resign. And they cant stop him resigning - bonded labour was outlawed decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No military could survive if the soldiers were able to just quit on the spot any time they liked. So they can't.

Why do you think the term "deserter" exists.

• Advertisement

Just on the "end victim blaming in the courts" placards. Can anyone show me where the judge or Army blamed the victim?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Because you are just the latest to try and spin it that when Togher was using positive, subjective adjectives to describe Crotty, and when he stated his opinion that what Crotty did was "out of character", that Togher was not actually speaking about Crotty's character.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We're not at war. Surely he'll just give the usual 1 months notice?

IMHO we shouldnt be relying on an employer to punish for a crime. It should be dealt with by the criminal justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm a man.

Doesn't seem to be too many men about the place suffering life changing traumas and injuries at the hands of out of control women, does there?

Of course this is men v women. This is men with a total loss of self control and right and wrong abusing their physical superiority to beat women into silence and submission. And such men need to be heavily, heavily punished.

I'm not sure how else you could legitimately frame this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It is satire. Look it up. It's on the internet and printed in real world dictionaries. Like all sature, there is a sprinkle of truth in there. Plenty of exaggerations and faux offense happens when it comes to anything related to gender. This thread is a prime example.

Stay Free

Women attack other woman as well and leave them with life changing traumas.

And women attack men, remember the woman who stabbed a man to death for parking outside her house? I didnt see a march for him.

Making it a male on female violence issue is like demonizing all dogs after the XL bully attack in Limerick where the woman was killed. Lets treat all dogs as a problem now and try to make everyone afraid of them, cocker spaniels, yorkshire terriers, french bulldogs etc they are all a problem and we need to do something about it. 🙄

And yet the subject person of their march was not the victim of gender based violence. She was just the victim of a violent attack by a scumbag who should have been thrown in jail. The protests setup to harp on about male on female violence just took advantage of the fact that there was anger that the scummer got a suspended sentence, but nothing is ever said when women get suspended sentences. It's a disgusting double standard and ironic that equality is screamed for on the other edge of the sword.

Stay Free

You have to buy your way out of the Defence forces.

ONE is too many. And there are plenty. There are many more that go unreported because of pride/embarassment, or the belief that they would simply not be believed. While men lean to the more aggressive end of the spectrum, women can be violent and dominationg too. We just don't see it reported in the media unless it's way out there.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dad-of-seven-stabbed-to-death-in-totally-random-killing-over-parking-space-1400493.html

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Oxo Moran

The Judge and the Army are the problem here.

Crotty was shown to be the cowardly animal he is. The Judge saw this and decided to protect Crotty's career.

The Army saw what he is and decided to give him a glowing character reference. They could have easily just spoke on how long he has served and him not having caused any trouble. Also if his friends were army too, they need to be reprimanded for not intervening.

There should be at least minimal jail time for someone who has carried out vicious unprovoked assault.

What are they going to do if he simply doesnt turn up? Also, you cant recover money from someone who hasnt got it.

This is Ireland. Nothing like this is ever enforced.

The military police would arrest you and put you in military jail, this isn't the boy scouts.

Do you honestly think the military want this guy back on duty.........so badly that they send in the military police.

Also, could you imagine the resulting court case. "Judge, there's this guy we want to kick out of the army.......so we're suing him because he......eh....left the army...."

I didnt say anything about being on duty, i said they can arrest him if he decides to leave the Army without paying his way out.

In the real world I predict the following will happen

1. He wont do any more army duties.

2. He will be discharged.

3. Nobody will be arrested and no money will be sought.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Babyreignbow

wow. I feel bad for that woman and legitimately would be concerned about her mental wellbeing today. It's incredible the amount of adrenaline that would be pulsating around your body after dealing with the hearing and then having it plastered across the media and contending with tv interviews and being the subject of a national debate. It must be all very traumatising. I really do hope she has some real tangible psychological supports taking care of her because once that adrenaline surge has passed she's going to be left dealing with the aftermath of it all and that's going to take some strength.

I think the issue was being highlighted very fairly itself without the need for the demonstrations although I recognise peoples right to peacefully protest, I don't think anyone was very concerned about the mental wellbeing of Natasha at the rally's yesterday. I know she did call out the man who rescued her from the assualt and thanked him for saving her life, I think that point needs to be driven home.

In the meantime, I do these meditations every day and find them very helpful.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭AyeGer

There have been many men killed and maimed at the hands of violent scumbags like Crotty through no fault of own. Are you somehow implying that these victims don’t matter or that as they were make themselves they are somehow responsible?

Do you have male relatives, husband, sons, brothers, father. What if they were beaten to a pulp for no good reason. Would you feel they were in some way responsible as they were the same sex as the scumbag attacker?

• Advertisement
Advertisement