Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PJ - Marlay Park - Sat 22 June 24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

What was the intro? I assume Eddie explained it was a song about abusive relationships?

Missed the gig unfortunately, sounds like it was great. Very envious now but I couldn't go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

I assume Ashcroft was hinting he was about to announce a gig hear when he said he has played in Ireland for a while, I wonder why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭kg703

Took me over two hours to get home to dun laoghaire so I think from now on, it's gonna have to be a driving job. Easy to get in, bus took us straight there, can't understand why they cut off nearly all public transport, surely there is a way to have a better management plan.

Other than that, PJ were 10/10 for me. What a night. Was annoyed about paying so much for gold circle but I'm very glad I did! Sound was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Hope you didn't leave after Setting Sun. They played Alive and Rockin in the free world after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Was gutted I had to sell my tickets for their show in 2006, and reading reviews on last night im gutted I didn't bite the bullet and head up to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

Absolutely phenomenal show, they are simply the best rock band around. Absolute bangers all night, the crowd was so into it. Worth every penny for the golden circle.

I really thought we were in trouble early in when eddie got McCready to do a random guitar solo, he was seriously out of breath and I really feared it was going to be cancelled. Thank the lord he got going again.

Massive crowd, despite all the giving out about ticket sales etc. Just wow. The intensity they drive i just haven't experienced at other concerts. Hopefully they come back soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

He was talking about the protest he saw for the scumbag judge who let off the scumbag woman beater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Yeah transport can be a joke for there at the best of times. Not an easy venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭COH

Ironically Helen McEntee was just in front of us in the crowd

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm sorry to hear about PA guy, he would have no expectation of being a target, so expect scumbag managed to do some damage. Great to hear the Guards didn't hold back.

I like to record audio of songs at gigs, to listen back and relive the experience later, but not missing being in the moment that can happen with video. Quality isn't exactly Dolby Atmos, but gets the crowd experience. If anyone is interested in a link when I upload them, just send me a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

I thought that was a brexit reference, as in now uk artists need permits for touring in EU in relation to Richard Ashcroft statement

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Good to know. I'll just have to suck it up good or bad for Green Day on Thursday. You need well getting back to Laois for midnight. Two years ago I didn't get home to Dublin until 3am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

They used to release "official bootlegs" of all their gigs. Not sure if they're still doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As others have said, they used to, but I'm unsure. They wouldn't get the same atmosphere though, as my wife described it as a mens shed choir in the background 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah they do, will be available in a few weeks time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Can't believe that about the PA guy.. had everyone in stitches when we were leaving. People all around me saying what great laugh on the way out of the gig. Hope he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MacPint

Great setlist. Was in GA. Layout shocking. I’m a tall man and couldn’t see a thing. Unless you were literally at the golden circle barriers you weren’t seeeing a thing and even then I’ve never seen a golden circle so big. Very disappointing from the organisers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

FFS!…couldn't figure out how pearl jam were such PJ Harvey fans

Aye I remember that but it’s been over 2 years since that ended and he’s gigged in England since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Oh. I may inadvertently jumped the queue then! I could see a load of people standing at the outside of the barrier, but thought they were just waiting for people rather than queuing, so I walked up to the barrier entrance, and straight in. Apologies!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Was it my imagination or was Richard Ashcroft’s set super short? I was way at the back and the sound was very average for pearl jam but I was at the back so probably to be expected. Hearing ‘Alive’ was my highlight it was amazing.

Ed is a cool dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They likely enlarged the Golden Circle when the Platinum tickets werent selling and sold them for 176 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Witnessed the scumbag who climbed the tower and assaulted the PA guy.. The same fella was near me towards the end of the night and was picking fights and spitting in people's faces trying to provoke them, he was definitely on some sort of bad trip.. As soon as he got onto the platform he attacked the PA guy and same when the guards got up there. It genuinely took 3 or 4 to restrain him and stop him. I felt sorry for the first guard up there, she was no match for him at all sadly. I hope he's waking up in a cell every morning for the foreseeable future..

As for the gig, I really enjoyed it. I was worried that the back catalogue stuff wasn't going to make much of an appearance but they seemed to really have nailed the setlist, the sound was a bit hit and miss at times and I was mid field. The venue was great and the paid parking was definitely worth the few extra quid in my opinion. It was my first visit to Marley Park but I will be back..

Also, anyone any idea on what the circus tent is being used for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

He deserved every slap with the truncheon he got. Hit the poor PA guy a few smacks and then needed four cops to get him off the scaffolding. Must have been very scary for the PA guy.

On a positive note the gig was unreal. So many classics and I happen to like the new album so nothing I didn't enjoy

Nah the gold circle just is that big in Marlay Park. Doesn't really bother me as I always buy gold circle tickets when I can but its definitely annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I did notice in GA that the ground sloped backwards so anyone far from the railing was screwed unless tall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

We waited until the 2nd half of the set and just walked from GA into Gold Circle without any checks. There were a couple of disinterested security staff there. Even managed to get back out for pints and a slash so it wasn’t a fluke.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Advertisement

Such a great gig. We got the Marathon shuttle bus out and back, it was perfect.

Dickie Ashcroft was deadly. Mostly songs off Urban Hymns. The band was on fire. He was still sore about the COVID lockdown/vaccines though. He alluded to them a few times, then dedicated "The Drugs Don't Work" to Van Morrison and Ian Brown.

Pearl Jam blew my mind. They could have played anything and I would have been happy. I've seen them three times in the Point so it was so refreshing to see them somewhere new. The beautiful evening out doors made it so special.

I was walking out of the men's toilets (side stage left) as "Daughter" was starting. Some imbecile chucked his near empty plastic pint cup up in the air over his shoulder. It nearly hit a boy (possibly 11 or 12) as he was walking in with his Dad. His dad swatted it away on time and they just got the spray of beer. A public service announcement: please don't throw cups at gigs - they hit people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It didnt look that deep to me, maybe 50 yards deep ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He was on stage for just over 40 mins. The Murder Capital about 37 mins

Ya. The bar queues weren't bad at all. Looked worse than it was, but they moved really quickly.

You must have left the gig really early to be in Laois for midnight. Gig didn't finish till 10.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭crl84

Circus tent is used for Longitude festival next weekend, along with the main stage, which is used for the various other gigs in Marlay Park over next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Ah it’s alright I reckon most people were the same as yourself and just didn’t realise ☺️I did see quite a few people behind me get fed up waiting and and join at the barriers I probably should have done the same!

Wasn't your imagination. Only played 7 songs. Bitter Sweet Symphony is a class tune.

Nope, left immediately after keep in rockin'

Was in the car and out of the park by 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Absolutely amazing gig! We had bets as to what would be the last song, I thought Alive, so when Keep on Rocking started up, we were delighted.

Really enjoyed the setlist.

Wasnt back to Blanch till after 1am, public transport 🙄 next time I will drive, I barely drank anyway, didn't want to miss anything so just had a couple before they came on.

• Advertisement

Wow. That's brilliant. The arrangement at the Malahide gigs should take note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

One thing that's been bothering my missus since last night...

I nearly tripped over some loon kneeling on the ground, who I presumed was tying his laces, as everyone was moving towards the exit. Turns out, he was proposing. Does anyone know if she said yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

She said no and be went off and battered a PA guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good to hear about the Gold Circle been large

Is it the same setup for all shows?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-41421820.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Had a great time! Thanks to my bro for cajoling me into going 😊 hearing so many of the old classics was unexpected, but very much appreciated. Little hoarse today, but the three beers I had to drink fast at the end because I couldn't find the intended recipients may have helped with that. Sold the 4th one for a tenner to a very happy guy. Great crowd and a speedy recovery to the PA guy. Always nice to see the Gardai hammering c×nt's who really ask for it. Roll on LCD Soundsystem 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Savage gig, my first time seeing them. Loads of songs off Ten which was great.

Hope the PA guy is ok, was fairly wild the whole incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Fantastic show from Pearl Jam. Hard to beat that kind of setlist, especially given there was always going to be a few songs from the new album, which is great by the way. Sometimes it's only when you hear songs being played live that you realise just how good a band is. If I was being really nitpicky I'd like to have heard another deep cut or two. Something like Red Mosquito or Dissident. But it was great to hear songs like Wishlist and Corduroy.

I'm not really into what a band's politics are but fair play to Eddie Vedder, he's informed about things and you know it's coming from the heart. And what a lovely gesture to dedicate Black to the young Dublin girl who died suddenly last week. You'd hope the family heard about the dedication and got some kind of solace from it.

I have to say I was enraged to read about the PA guy being attacked. I hope he's ok. If anyone knows him and is reading this maybe they could let us know how he is? Hard to believe someone would do something like that when people are on such a high from what was a great gig. The scumbag who did it deserves to be in a world of pain today. Hopefully he's charged so he can be named and shamed.

As for Marlay Park, it's an awful place to get to and from if you're relying on public transport. The beer queues were laughably bad, it just doesn't seem to be well run. I won't be hurrying back. But Pearl Jam were worth it. They are legends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Did you manage to grab any of Mikes Thin Lizzy tee?
    As if I wasn't already a big fan of his, he whipped out a great version of Eruption in the Thin Lizzy tee shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Arequipa

I saw that guy climb the scaffolding and attack the steward announcer guy... what a pr**k... as others said it took a lot of people to subdue him...

i hope he got a fair few digs and is very sore today...

i was thinking if this was France / Italy or even the US.... he would've been 'subdued' a lot quicker..

on a more positive note... i was chatting to a girl from Chicago who has seen PJ many times and is going to the London gig.. she was telling me Ed's jersey is an NFL jersey of Walter Payton... a legendary player for the Bears, nicknamed 'Sweetness'... he retired and did. a lot of good for others throughout his life begore dieing in 1999...

she said Jeff's jersey 33... was something to do with their albums?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭fluke

Great set and personally I'm at a stage now with the band I'll take whatever the set is, as long as the band are in good spirits. Loved Stone's backup singing at the end of Betterman as he was smiling a lot. I could be wrong but I think McCready wore two Thin Lizzy shirts. Jailbreak for the main set, and then Black Rose during the encore.

I don't know anything about The Murder Capital but they seemed decent.

I have to say Richard Ashcroft was a delight as his (greatest hits) set, hit that late 90's nostalgia button.

• Advertisement
Advertisement