Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2024/0621/1455983-sipo-gp-contract/

Noticeable that the court found that the decision was inadequately reasoned rather than wrong.

"It added that "it may be that there was a concern about the entitlement of the Commission to gather evidence that may be found in the confidential discussions of the cabinet.

However the court found that "this was not stated by the Commission. Ultimately it is not for this court to fill in the blanks"."

Effectively the court appears to have found that the right decision was made for the wrong reasons. Hence, it rejected Murphy's other requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The court seem to have only made comments on procedural issues, Blanch. They've not said the right decision was made (though to be clear they have also not said that the wrong decision was made), they have said there was inadequate reasoning behind their decision not to investigate. The other request was the appointment of an Officer, which the court have said was adequately reasoned.

Rejection of the second complaint isn't a comment on the first complaint, and in no way does it suggest the right decision was made for the wrong reasons because the second complaint wasn't upheld.

The court has pretty much said the previous, 'investigation' (or lack thereof) no longer exists and instructed SIPO to either investigate or provide appropriate justification for not doing so.

It may well be a storm in a teacup, and SIPO just come back with appropriate justification for not investigating. Hopefully if they do so, their justification will stand up to legal scrutiny.

I've no idea how anyone could read that and come away with the conclusion that the court think SIPO made the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭pureza

In my opinion,the court there has aaked SIPO to state why it saw fit not to investigate

That should be simple enough for them to do as the reasoning should be there as it is,just unpublished

The court is not taking a view,nor should it on Mr Murphys conspiracy theory re SIPO being biased or something if thats what he's suggesting

Do ya know he'll have another pointless greasy pole uphill battle on that score anyway given the DPP ruling on the case,more in his line to be looking after his constituents

• Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It’d never actually be the half arsed government body at fault could it?

Murphy whatever you think of him is holding to account the body that should be holding others to account on our behalf.

Should we not be grateful he has done this?

Sort of; SIPO may well decide not to investigate again, this time providing adequate reasoning, but the courts have not just asked them why they saw fit not to investigate and instructed them to publish the justification, they've overturned their previous decision not to investigate altogether.

If the reasoning was there, but unpublished surely 1) that would've been brought up during the court case 2) they should've fecking published it?

SIPO have clearly fallen short of expectations, deflecting over to criticisms of Paul Murphy won't handwave that away.

That being said (and I think I was pretty clear in my initial comment) the courts absolutely haven't found anything amounting to gross impropriety from SIPO. It could well be a procedural issue and we'll be back to where we started in a few short weeks except this time with adequate reasoning.

Not scandal of the century by any means, but absolutely a, 'must do better' admonishing for SIPO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is this the same Paul Murphy that was not held responsible for the mob attack on Joan Burton, holding her captive for hours, while he held an actual megaphone, shouting instructions and organising the mob actions?

Did you have your own trial and find him guilty?

Think whatever you like but the court has found SIPO have a case to answer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have found no-one guilty of anything. Is it the same Paul Murphy?

No, the Paul Murphy involved here did not hold anyone captive nor organised a ‘mob attack’.

I did not say he held anyone hostage. I said quite the opposite in fact.

Quote: Is this the same Paul Murphy that was not held responsible for the mob attack on Joan Burton, holding her captive for hours, while he held an actual megaphone, shouting instructions and organising the mob actions?

I recall that a Paul Murphy was actually present at the episode, and he did actually have a megaphone. He claimed not to be responsible for the mob.

But was this the same Paul Murphy?

• Advertisement

Another who cannot bear the government or it’s institutions being scrutinised never mind held to account.

Play the insinuation game with somebody else maybe. Not interested tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The same Paul Murphy who believes Labour and Greens aren't pure enough to be part of a left wing alliance. Yes what Varadkar did was very silly. Took him a good while as a Minister/Taoiseach to figure what was acceptable or not.

I agree Varadka was very silly to do what he did, and SIPO just need to explain themselves, assuming they can.

I don't think they need to explain themselves. Rather they need to go back to the drawing board and do their job properly this time round.

They need to explain themselves because that is what the court ordered. If they cannot, then it is back to the start.

The court has ordered that the previous decision is overturned. They're already back to the start. They don't need to explain themselves; they've done that in court and it was unsatisfactory.

If they decide not to investigate again, they need to provide actual justification for not doing so this time, otherwise I'd imagine we'll have another spin around this merry go round.

Thats not a clear way of describing what the decidion was

If it was Mickey Mouse ,T.D for North louth southwest who stepped in as Taoiseach for a week while varadkar was having a lobotomy,who was not being investigated,the court,or this judge woukd also ask Sipo to provide its reasoning

The court has made a new precedent,that all SIPO decisions of whatever ilk now must come with published reasons

Its created a super FoI ,if you like

Consequence is simply to state its reasons which shouldn't be difficult and in my view should always be done

Their job on tgat score has been made easier by the DPP's decision in the matter which makes me question why Paul Murphy thinks he's won something?

He has done us some service alright with the legal precedent I mentioned alright but I don't think thats what he was looking for ?

Post edited by pureza on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Good loser

With the 'separation of powers' I don't think the High Court should be involving itself in Oireachtas matters like this.

Certainly the only possible point it could adjudicate was a procedural point. It could/should not consider the substantive point.

Well now,I'll leave that to the imagination

But do you know what he got won't reopen a dead dpp investigation

What it has done is require Sipo in future to give a reason for NOT investigating something as opposed to just not saying anything

It never usually had to give a reason FOR investigating something as the complaint would usually be public

So SIPO on the back of this new procedural precedent will be back at some point to publish why it see's no merit in investigating Paul Murphy's complaint,and that will be that,except Murphy will have enriched a few barristers maybe,who are probably happy out with him ?

• Advertisement

But SIPO has always been required to give a reason for not investigating something. Hence the reason for the judicial review. Again, it's not a new procedural precent, it's something they've always been required to do under the legislation, but for some reason they didn't bother to do it.

To be honest,I hadn't read the legislation,so thats new to me

It doesn't change anything so,other than Murphy will have freed up that bit of information which I'm sure will be published when SIPO get round to it

It has to be remembered what happened here and some of the comment from within SIPO itself. The predictable shooting of the messenger (Murphy) should be ignored as this case could have been taken by anyone and should have been whatever your politics.

All of this was set out in records Sipo released under the Freedom of Information Act.

But Sipo redacted some of the files. It was only after an appeal to the Information Commissioner – an office held by Deering – that further disclosures were made showing McCarthy’s concern about the potential for Sipo facing “credibility” issues as a result of its response to the Varadkar case.

“Would our arguments be enough to satisfy a judge in a judicial review proceeding (whichever way we go)?” McCarthy asked as Sipo considered its stance.“A court order to reconsider rejection of a complaint would be appalling, and would compromise the credibility of any subsequent decision we made.

A court order to stop an inquiry would at least explain why we had no power to pursue a complaint in this matter.”

With Mr Justice O’Donnell’s ruling, that “appalling” prospect has now come to pass.This very bad for the standards commission, the body that is supposed to promote transparency and accountability in public life. That it relates to a decision concerning the actions of a taoiseach makes it all the worse.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/06/21/high-court-sipo-decision-is-a-bad-outcome-for-leo-varadkar/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

That’s the one, hurling abuse at a couple of women in a car

A big man is our Paul

Doesn’t really matter in this case but someone I wouldn’t be giving any praise to, total waste of space

Paddy Cosgrove seems to be claiming it was him and his room rent paying minions so not sure who submitted

It’s certainly has got the SF online mob all excited again, the usual homophobic bile is kicked off again

Have a good read of the RTE article and the judgement.

"It added that "it may be that there was a concern about the entitlement of the Commission to gather evidence that may be found in the confidential discussions of the cabinet.

However the court found that "this was not stated by the Commission. Ultimately it is not for this court to fill in the blanks"."

They practically gave SIPO the reasons in the judgement. If SIPO turn around and say something along those lines, the Court have said that is fine.

No one has any issue with that. It will then be the government and FG to respond to how they feel about Cabinet members being perfectly free to carry out unethical behaviour and they seeing no issue with that.

SIPO have said that the behaviour was ethical, the Court didn't disagree, just that SIPO should explain itself better.

As is usual, people are getting overexcited by something that isn't there.

It's not the job of the court to disagree with that decision.

As I said, SIPO to didn't say it was ethical behaviour. SIPO said they weren't going to investigate it. And now SIPO need to say why they didn't investigate and whether it was becusse they don't have the powers to investigate unethical behaviour by cabinet members.

The answer to which will further highlight how successive governments have seen to it that SIPO is under powered and hampered.

• Advertisement

You're letting that statement do an awful lot of heavy lifting to get to the conclusion that the court have said, 'the decision was fine'. They have hypothesised on one possible reasoning and have not commented on whether that reasoning itself would be sufficient as it isn't their job to do so.

I'll go a step further; if what you believe to be true is so, it would be highly inappropriate from the court. Their job was to rule on a procedural issue.

I'm still about 90% sure that next steps will be as you suspect also; SIPO will come back with appropriate justification. I think anyone expecting this to be some huge thing that results in Leo back in hot water is massively over-reading the situation. I do think you're under-reading it to suit your own agenda also though.

If their justification is that they have concerns about their entitlement to gather evidence from confidential cabinet discussions, I suspect they'll have to go a step further and substantiate it beyond concerns into an explicit confirmation that they do not have the entitlement to gather that evidence. That may then raise further questions about whether SIPO is unfit for purpose given that they would be demonstrating their inability to do their job.

Advertisement