Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

This is a point that the GAA chooses to ignore. I live in a rural area in Tipperary. Rural Ireland is being hollowed out, primarily in refusal to grant planning to build houses in the country.

The knock on effect is many clubs are unable to field underage teams. The answer to this is amalgamate with other clubs, but when you do very often it's harder to keep kids interested. It's definitely easier for kids to drift away.

In the South division in Tipp, the clubs to the west of the division, areas roughly between Cahir and the Cork border, 3-4 clubs don't field on their own. In West Tipp a number of years ago, all the U16 teams in division B were amalgamations. Primary schools in rural areas are constantly seeing declining numbers. People that I do business with in Cavan and are passionate Cavan football fans tell the same story, in the East of the county within commuter belt territory, they've big numbers, in the west of the County former senior clubs cannot field at underage.

The knock on effect of all of this will be a break between these areas and the GAA. Clubs foster the link to the County Teams, they bring kids to county matches as a treat. Our local club had a link to Kilmacud Crokes at one time. Most years they'd bring an underage team to an ALL Ireland quarter final or Semi in Croke park, play a challenge in Kilmacud (who were great hosts). All of this builds the bonds that makes supporters, makes supporting your county a fun and exciting thing to do.

The lack of numbers in our local club is shockingly apparent. It's a good well run club, good facilities, well organized, but at the lower ages lack of players = lack of parents = lack of helpers. All of this adds up.

When have we heard the GAA talk about the above issues? When have they used their huge profile to highlight these issues? About 8 or 9 years ago, our club brought motions to Tipperary Bord na Nóg looking to allow B teams underage (which in Tipp is where the largest numbers of clubs field underage) play 13 a side if they couldn't field 15 a side. The motion was defeated, mostly opposed by the bigger clubs. Now through necessity it has been accepted.

In the current crazy political system, getting planning permission to build in the country is nearly impossible, yet you can buy a derelict house and the government will give you a grant to do it up??

Rural Ireland has been the heartbeat of the GAA. Letting it die, without even highlighting the issue is scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

None of what you said is unique to the GAA.

Rural depopulation is isn't going to change or be reversed outside of a few towns and villages in commuter range of cities. It's not anyone's fault it's just life.

European populations are ageing. Ireland is behind the curve but catching up and this also will not change and is technically not anyone's fault.

Rural clubs are just going to have to amalgamate unless you want to somehow force people to live where they don't want to and force them to have 5 kids like we used to.

The idea that rural areas are somehow special in the GAA is an antiquated one anyway. All over the country it's the town and city clubs emerging or established at the top.

It must suck for rural people but it's not going to change. Most people just don't want to live that life anymore. All demographic indicators are pointing to a disproportionate growth in urban population increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

Breezy,

I had to get it off my chest😁

I agree with what you say but it boils my p**s that no organization is willing to at least highlight what's happening. A considerable number of people where I live would build homes in the country if regulation would allow, but green policy dictates that living in the country is going to be taboo.

A man I know was left a farm by his aunt, he's married with small kids really fancied building on the farm, was refused planning 3 times as he didn't fulfill the local area criteria. He ended up buying an abandoned house and did it up so he could move back to where he was born and reared.

Am I wrong. We have been hearing this crap forever. The association sent spies around to make sure leads were not playing foreign games for fear it would be the end of everything.

I saw a documentary where a North Mon coach in the 90's thought tennis was gonna be the death of hurling.

Every game played on a Saturday has Donal Og and half of Boards in tears about the sport being on life support or something.

I've never witnessed any other sport so constantly in fear of its total destruction.

• Advertisement

But the vast majority of people don't want to. People want to live where the work is and that's not rural areas anymore.

Most people I know now live in rural areas but it's because they were forced to buy lack of housing or affordability in Limerick city so now live in commuter villages or they built on inherited land like your friends tried to.

Those one offs on inherited land are not going to save the GAA clubs. Nor will they save the rural pub or shop in our days of less drinking and being able to drive to supermarkets. People are just going to have to drive in to the market towns and bigger villages for GAA just like they do shops and secondary schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Seadin

It has, you are carrying on as if Limerick invented hurling. Limerick are going to be beaten some day. I just hope they take Cork for granted and are looking at the final.

More utter shte from yourself. No said Limerick wont lose someday.

The poster was talking about this current Limerick teams record in Croke Park so why would I talk about anything other than this Limerick teams record in Croke Park.

Not much point me bringing up the 1976 All Ireland or something like that.

Enjoy it while ye are at the top because when it goes the fall is so great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭High bike

Are u back watching the games again or is only the ones ye are guaranteed to win,

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Well when this Limerick team lose the fall will be back to when they had arguably the greatest team in the history of hurling. Not a bad place to fall back on imo.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭randd1

• A handpass cannot be given from the same hand that releases the ball.
    • The spare arm cannot be used in any attempt to hold up a player by extending the spare arm across the opponent’s upper body. A player who uses their spare arm to prevent the movement of an opponent shall concede a free to the opposition.
    • Any player who in possession of the ball who lowers their head is guilty of charging, and a free is to be awarded to the opposition.
    • Following an advantage being given, any subsequent foul by either team would see the ball brought back for the original foul.
    • Strict enforcement of the steps rule.

Simple enough rules that would massively clear up the game of hurling.

I think the sport is in trouble, not due to playing numbers, but because of the rampant cheating going on in the game.

Normally a hurling match on the telly is a must watch, but to be honest, I wouldn’t care if I missed one these days. Take the passion of the crowd out of it, it’s a poor watch, too stop/start, too much cheating. Still plenty of skill mind you, but it’s becoming a very poor watch.

The sport really needs to clean itself up. Not much point trying to sell a sport if the sport itself is an excercise in cheating.

That's fine but life goes on and you are only as good as your last game.

Must be down the pub because all u do is come on here and talk shite afterwards, or else maybe u just don't have a clue god love u

No that's you and you are just a flute on here.

Hopefully you'll disappear again in 2 weeks time with your we beat Limerick in super value park t shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

In my lifetime the only team that could come close to them is KK at their peak in the late 00's. For what it's worth, I think this Limerick team has already surpassed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

The last two Saturday semi finals were thrown in at 18.00 and 17.30. This years Saturday semi has a throw in at 15.00.

Sundays Limerick v Cork game goes ahead at 16.00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Limerick always supported in huge numbers before the latest success. Cork too.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭BQQ

You’re getting a bit carried away there.

That KK team were beating all-Ireland winning teams and didn’t lose a game on the way to 4 in a row

Limerick are a great team in their own right, but the competition is weaker and they’ve occasionally come up short like in the game vs Cork earlier this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

The Euros Quarter Finals are on at 17:00 and 20:00 on the Saturday. Presume RTE and GAA wanted to avoid a clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Factually false as has been proven here a few times.

Year Before limericks success, have many more to post but whats the point, you are simply wrong Peggy. All counties go through up and downs in support.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭C4000

Limerick lost 1 out of 23 matches in winning the four in a row. Kilkenny played 18 matches to win their 4 in a row. In 2006 Kilkenny had to beat Westmeath and Wexford to win the Leinster championship and in 2007 and 2008 had to beat Offaly and Wexford.

This Limerick team beat the reigning all Ireland champions, Galway, in 2018 and beat the reigning champions, Tipperary in 2020.

Slagging aside ya they do your right.

Cork and Limerick probably have a bigger core support and bigger bandwagon just due to population size but when you see the size of crowds in hurling now compared to Munster rugby you can't deny there has been a big bandwagon migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Totally agree and I'm not digging at limerick or anybody. Ye are making the most of a great team so fair play.

Limerick "come up short" because there is a round robin so they are playing the system and trying to peak on time.

Notice they never came up short during COVID.

That Kilkenny team didn't just win 4 in a row though. They won 8 in 10 years which is mental.

I don't care who is "best ever" as Limerick are already gone beyond my wildest dreams.

We won 1 All Ireland, then the first ever Limerick back to back, 3 in a row, 4 in a row, 6 Munsters and pulled way ahead of the rest of the chasing pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Very hard to compare teams from different eras.

I do think limerick are.the best coached team of all time..they also have some great players that will be remembered for all tim

Being biased I also think the current kilkenny team aside from the 2023 all Ireland have been competitive with limerick..beat them in 2019 and within a score in 2022.. I don't think the current kilkenny team would be competitive against the 4 in a row kilkenny team..

So basically with my rose tinted glasses on I still rate the kilkenny team slightly higher.

I can understand how people would argue the other way though and its all opinion..

Advertisement