Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ ONE, 2, Junior, and Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Shan Doras

They were a hell of a lot worse 20 years ago, During the 7/7 London bombing in 2005 for example, almost the entire RTE Radio 1 current affairs schedule was off-air from May 31 to September 1, it was only because of Newstalk "going national" in late 2006 that RTE Radio 1 stopped the "summer schedule" jazz from Summer 2007 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Honestly RTÉ Radio during the Summer months is scant of content, it seems like everyone's there but in the background you can tell that the presenters are just about making it look like they are continuing as normal.

And to think that that was the case 20 years ago was as bad then as it is today.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭iseegirls

A lot of the channels do this nowadays. On the UK channels, you'd hardly know at times if there was a holiday. Programmes remain the same on ITV - with GMB, This Morning, Loose Women all remaining on.

Nostalgically, I was looking back on listings from the late 90's and 00s - and RTE2/Network 2 didn't actually change that much during the summer bank holidays. They might have a film in the afternoon, but it would be a war 60s/70s film (like Ice Station Zebra), meanwhile RTE1 would show the family movie.

RTÉ will be next to keep Today on the air during the Bank Holidays !!!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭AJB39

Daire O’Brien presenting the interpro on RTE tonight, think it’s a while since he last did a live URC game.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Shan Doras

Those RTE 2 Idents that have been there since the "Bill Malone era" look very out of place now especially when it's a BBC nature or Gardening program coming on. As for RTE One, is it just one ident now, a black screen?

Relics of a different era now, very little of RTE2’s “yoof” schedule remains. Aside from the kids and sports, most of what’s left after that is repeats.

Over on RTE One, they ditched the live action idents (some of which dated from the 2006 relaunch and at least one of those had a CRT TV!) last Autumn. The ones remaining are mostly CGI (eg what used to be the “movie” ident) but there are a few about including a custom one for the Late Late Show - it’s not just one ident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I also remember a Windows XP PC in one of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Both channels need a new look, RTÉ 2 especially. But I think we'll still be seeing these looks for years to come at this stage.

RTÉ ONE have several idents that they used for different "LIVE" weeks that they could use as a small bit of a refresh and could have slowly retired the current set.

RTÉ2 are now a decade old being introduced in Sept 2014. https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2014/0911/642985-watch-rt2-launches-new-season/

______

Yesterday

I did catch what appeared to be a new RTE2 ident for GAA before The Sunday Game at the weekend.

They did have a number of "idents" for the WWC last year, basically the promo images used in place of the normal RTÉ blocks.

______

Yesterday

It looks like the Drivetime are into the alternation for the summer does anyone know why this happens or the necessity for 2 presenters on this show for the rest of the year?

______

Yesterday

The Olympics promos changes the RTÉ News channel look completely while at the same time they still call it RTÉ NEWS NOW! It really shows that they they don't like the news channel look themselves.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭deezell

Probably no-one knew the URC final was on News now. They were showing the Euros on it, the EPG showed the Portugal match, and it switched to the URC final literally at kickoff, while showing the start of Portugal v Turkey. Bizarre. Great match, Glasgow stuffed the Bulls in a thriller. Huge credit to them. Pity about low res picture, I can't get live channels on my TV RTE player for some reason, only playback. It thinks I'm not in Ireland or something, or maybe its the Android version of player. I had it on my phone in HD, but crucially you can't 'send' it to the TV to Player, (like YouTube), just screen mirror which jitters like mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭decor58

I have two version's of the RTE player, live available on the LG version, live not available on Now stick or Walker and Toshiba sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Sell on some sport to Virgin (at very short notice running deal-tricky but not impossible and can't use VM More) or else re-brand to RTE3 and go HD (highly unlikely due to recent controversary which is a huge pity).

At the moment it's just everybody that suffers with SD and poor communication. Some RTE staff still calling it News Now-wrong just like some people calling Virgin TV3.

Not available on LG according to RTE,

https://www.rte.ie/player/en_IE/profile/faq

Maybe old LG pre 2015? It's not on son's 2021 LG Oled, or my 2020 Sony Bravia Android, or my 2017 Samsung Qled, wwhich I thought had it years ago. It now sports a message saying it's going to die altogether on Tizen later this year when RTE update the app, (and Samsung don't update their version).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Gold7

What RTE Should have done a few years ago was Replaced the +1 Channel with a 3rd RTE channel with HD. Or sell some sports rights to Virgin as VM have 4 free to air Channels.

I know this was a fairly congested sporting weekend for RTE but that’s a rarity. Those suggesting rights be sold to VMTV must be aware that VMTV are on record as saying they don’t generally want sports rights that involve them having to act as host broadcaster - although they’ve made some exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

RTE Player (watch live) is available on my 2019 32" LG TV - 32LM6300PLA

News channel is standard SD, 704 x 576, not HD, but still better than VM sub SD, 544 x 576. Even so, the URC final on News was pretty poor, hence my attempt to watch live on player. It says a lot for my memory that I completely forgot that I have Rteplayer with live channels on my rarely used AppleTV box. I'll be going there again, as RTE has decided to show the dead rubber of Scotland (-4gd) against Hungary (out) on RTE, with the studio punditry arranged around that game. The big event, Germany v Switzerland (+2 gd) relegated to News channel. Who thinks, assuming Switzerland lose, Scotland can win with a 7 goal swing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Hungary aren't out, best 4 third place teams go through. this game is the big event one, someone going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Could have used RTE1 for a game tonight and have both games in HD like BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Have RTÉ announced their plans for the Olympics? Will they use the news channel for more coverage or even launch a temporary channel on Saorview at least?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Remember that Discovery now own the Europe-wide rights to all Olympic events, so I imagine RTÉ will have a similar arrangement like the BBC have which allows them 200 hours of Olympics coverage. If you want to watch your choice of events though you need Discovery+ nowadays.

It is interesting that in 2016 RTÉ sold the rights to TV3 to the Euros. My conspiracy theory is that RTÉ sold them to TV3 to help TV3 out of the hole they were in on the arrival of UTV Ireland.

Since then RTÉ have never suggested the sale of any of their major tournaments.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Doesn't help that in promo's RTÉ title it RTÉ NEWS NOW!

______

Yesterday

Advertisement