Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stone Roses!

Options
  • 23-06-2024 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭

I remember an old thread on here, once questioning were the Stone Roses over-rated. The general consensus of replies, was that their first album is arguably the greatest ever. Going to the Definitely Maybe anniversary gig tomorrow, where some Stone Roses classics will be played before hand.

I've always said, the one album I always come back to is the Stone Roses. It doesn't have a weak moment. They hit a zenith, where even b-sides like Sally Cinamon, Mersey Paradise, Elephant Stone etc, would be the best songs on any other album, that's how strong it is. They didn't even make the cut for this album.

I know music is subjective, but I can't really see how anyone who knows music, could say another album topped the Stone Roses. Even a regarded "weaker" song on it, Sugar Spun Sister, is magic. Post Beatles, this is surely the greatest contemporary album by a distance. It's a seminal album, and for a moment in time, everything just came together for a band, the way it never has before or since for another band. As I said, they hit a zenith.

It's an album that stands alone, above everything else before or since. It's magic from start to finish!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

In '87, Huey released this; Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Yep up there with the best. My sister gave it to me when I was a teenager, changed my bloody life . 50 minutes of bliss. I stopped listening to it on purpose for a few years and absence definitely makes the heart grow fonder. It is without doubt a step above most other so called great albums. It's number one on my list anyway ! Could be that I'm a certain age with a distorted romantic view of that time growing up but I doubt it . it is pure prevailing unadulterated genius. Your knuckles whiten on the wheel ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Great band; spearheaded the whole Madchester zeitgeist, and was the soundtrack to my coming of age times. Enjoy the gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Charlo30

An album that is 100% all killer and no filler. The only song I'm a bit conflicted about is I Am The Resurrection. On one level I can only admire the audacity of the band to end their debut album with a song like that. But that 5/6 minute guitar solo does smack a little bit of Squire's self indulgence that would plague The Second Coming

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's a great album and represented a huge and badly needed change in musical style around 1989/90 when most pop and "rock" music was absolute rubbish - populated by Stock/Aitken/Waterman production line plastic shite and crap glam big hair "metal" bands.

The Stone Roses helped shape 1990s music and was itself pretty influential on other music artists. That said, it is also overrated by many and there are many better albums in the history of rock music. Their follow-up, Second Coming, whilst okay was a disappointment - it was released too late and over 2 years overdue - probably because Ian Brown and his band mates were doing too many drugs to get the album done quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

Always struck me as massively overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think the debut is very good but I could name numerous albums from various genres that I'd listen to ahead of it. For a start ,I'd rate both Marquee Moon and Adventure by Television ahead of it.

Also I think many Oasis songs are better albeit heavily influenced by the Stone Roses. The Oasis B-Side Cloudburst (which is great) is comically similar to a Roses song that I can't remember the name of. L. Gallagher at his peak was a much better singer than Brown at his peak. If N. Gallagher had put his best B sides and best album tracks on albums, he'd probably have had at least 2 albums better than The Stone Roses debut. IMO of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yeah, some of the Oasis b-sides are great. With The Stone Roses you had a band composed of excellent musicians, and Ian Brown, I think that's what the original Oasis lacked a bit. Squire is an excellent guitarist (I really liked him and Nick McCabe from The Verve), someone mentioned I am the resurrection above" you could argue it was a bit of a sign of the future cocaine fest but it's just a great outro.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Seen them live in Manchester a few years back. Occasion was amazing but vocals from Brown were shite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Saw them at Feile 1995, were minus Renni. Gave a so so performance. They broke up a year or so later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭standardg60

He never could sing. It was a seminal album but maybe more due to the zeitgeist that madchester exemplified. Second coming was such a disappointment it ended up heightening the legacy of the first album. Not the first to do that.

For me the Charlatans, Ride, James and the vastly underestimated Shed Seven far exceeded ST in longevity and quality and would have the albums I would listen to more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What an album. Consistently listed in all time great albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭nice bit of green

Great band. Have a vibe and groove like no one else. 2 very different albums but equally as good. Never saw them live but from what I have heard, they are perhaps best heard on a recording than in concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Second coming doesn't deserve the hate it gets. It's not as good as the debut, but its a solid album with a few bangers - Driving South, Breaking into Heaven, Love Spreads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

It’s a great album, I would have Pearl Jam Ten ahead, but it’s all down to personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cosholky

The Stone Roses remains my favourite album of all time. No fillers. I love each and every track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Best album in my collection.

IB is a terrible singer. I've seen him several times and the only time that I can recall being passable was the "My Way" gig in The Olympia.

But a great frontman of a great band.

When they launched into "I wanna be adored" in the Phoenix Park in 2012, it was emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Oasis, Blur and a few others in the mid 90's, went through a phase of putting out really strong B-Sides, Oasis in particular. Made an album out of them.

But as good as they were, still weren't as strong as the Stone Roses B-Sides. Fools Gold is a household song, arguably the biggest B-Side ever. And in terms of quality, Sally Ciinnamon probably is the greatest b-side ever. Elephant stone, Mersey paradise etc, the Stone Roses B-Sides were on a completely different level to Oasis b-sides imo.

Stone Roses for a short moment in time, had possibly the greatest output of music we've ever seen. All gold. I've never seen it done before or since. Every song they produced, including b-sides, was top tier. They never recaptured that, but I don't think any band has ever hit that height, or ever will again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

And I think Liam and Noel would be the first to admit, they never reached that level in quality. Stone Roses their favourite band. One could argue they're just deferring to their mates, because they became bigger, but you'll see in alot of behind the scenes stuff, they actually love it and play their stuff alot for fun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Saw them when they got back together in Phoenix Park and Belfast. Amazing.

Dunno how anyone thinks they're overrated.

Advertisement