Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Yes, maybe it is a direct appeal to his old pal Macca? Backstage pass and the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭animalinside

RTE used to be a glamorous workplace? I don't ever remember that in my lifetime. I don't trust Terry Prone's articles.

She's probably saying that because of how she used to work there in the past since she was 13.

https://www.ul.ie/ceremonies/terry-prone-0

Follow the money first, then follow the ego. RTE was a glamorous wonderful place attracting the best talent back when she worked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭yagan

I think it was probably as glamorous as it got at one time, but we'd be talking about decades ago, up til the 80s perhaps. edit to add, the threshold for what constituted glamour seemed very low back in those Babysham days.

But back then Hollywood and movies were the most glamorous place to be.

It's hilarious that the board still proffer 2fm is the youth channel when its content squarely targets the middle aged who were the youth when the station was started.

The whole institution is an anachronism.

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

This is the article if anybody wants to read it. It's not behind a paywall at the moment

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-41420929.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Tow

RTE looked rundown when I was in it about 5 years ago. It was the first thing you noticed abou the place. It was obvious the money was being spent on the talent, rather than a lick of paint and new carpet tiles. Maybe the 'public areas' are better maintained!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'm sure being such a vociferous reader and being back in Ireland for the weekend, tubridy will no doubt have his fill of the Sunday/weekend papers and will see that he is still the face of RTE shenanigans and it hasn't gone away, even a year on.

Or he could be just a vacuous shell who spent the weekend eating 99s from Teddys.

If Terry's description of the carnage Bryan unleashed on the average RTE insider is accurate then at the moment then there's no way in hell bryan will ever get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nonetheless

Interesting piece in Terry Prone's article for which she refers to 2fm inheriting a bunch of broadcasters who were not hired as such but rather social media practitioners. The loss of those type of presenters would result in 2fm's loss of 'their' audience. She is quite correct with that observation but it should also be remembered that according to the latest JNLR's, 2fm's audience share is abysmal to begin with. Even if the 2 Johnnies, Doireann Garrihy and so on were collectively pulling in that audience, the figures for the station would still be very sobering for any self respecting experienced PD. But yet they continue to pursue a model that is repeatedly failing them and for which one of our worlds greatest minds once described such behaviour as madness. And it does feel quite fitting in the case of Roger Daltrey calling out Kevin Backhurst towards the end of The Who's 1971 hit 'Wont Get Fooled Again'

There for every sad closure and death.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭animalinside

A real man of the people is Tubs. Very down to earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

He’s out enjoying his day, and some of you are sitting at home making up lurid fantasies and theories about him. Pretty easy work out who is winning that battle to this neutral observer. Completely and utterly living rent free. Total obsession. 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Morgans

If you weren't going to say it, I was. You always come through in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭GSF

you can get the internet on a mobile phone now. You don’t need to sit at home or even go to an internet cafe to read what’s happening 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Perhaps he was hoping for some closing down bargains/freebies.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

nah, I’m sure his appearance fee was sufficient.

Perish the thought of going to some internet cafe, when you can simply do breakfast at Tang and lunch at One Pico.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Rack off lads! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Does Tubs enjoy Ceviche, raw fish with lime, popular in that region of South America, bit of a food Mecca, including nice teeth of an enlarged guinea pig digging into a cherry tomato on your plate, toenails almost tapping on the ceramic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I'm starting to feel sorry for Ryan. 😔He must know he's not doing well at Virgin. Don't know how things work in there, do they have to keep him on until his contract ends or can they terminate anytime?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

That was a stiletto on the end of jackhammer. RTE management won't be pleased. As for Prone, when the story first broke, she was the one who called him The Ryanstone Cowboy. She doesn't mince her words about Tubridy.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Perhaps I didn't know this. Even still she does not seem to have anything outside of broadcasting to fall back on, but she may genuinely not want this career right now, she could come back.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭RoTelly

The article is very good but you are right:-

I wrote the following based on the headline, but in fairness to Terry Prone she pulls no punches, I was surprised it came from her : -

The glamour at RTÉ faded as soon as they moved into the TV studios in Donnybrook. You can see from old archive photographs the original visual intent of the architect, a modern set of buildings purposefully built to house TV studios with a contemporary elegant entrance. The long corridors facing out on to Montrose house in the leafy Dublin suburbs. At some point however the sufficiency of the design was lost in the hands of RTÉ, as Wardrobe was dropped into a central area only to make it look messy. The same can be said of the Radio centre, who's lobby has had 1990s kitsch lobbed on to it with a lack of vision that the original minimalist lobby would suggest.

Buildings that would invite big name stars, while showing the opulence of our old British colonial past, had turned into a rat infested delipidated set of studios, which RTÉ never cared to maintain.

Surely this lack of maintenance of the RTÉ studios over the years should have shown the lack of management skills at the broadcaster.

RTÉ, the media and our politicians are now fed up with the news that RTÉ isn't up to the job of even running a broadcaster let alone their own buildings in which their studios reside. The audience on the other hand are embarrassed by the broadcaster.

Terry Prone might be right to consider RTÉ to be some kind of glamourous deity in the halcyon days of the 60s, but by the 70s and 80s it had dipped out of favour with audience, and cast a shadow on a bleak austere era, by the 90s nothing had changed and by the heady days of the Celtic Tiger management were now thinking they were working at the BBC, it was far from the BBC they were raised.

Let management and staff at RTÉ look around a crumbling broadcaster, and consider that they forget the glamour and put on a pair of wellies and get to work.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Switched on radio, Paul McCartney mentioned. I left it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Mario Rosenstock really revelling in this! You get the feeling he had Tubs number from Day1 but couldn't open his mouth or lampoon him too heavily. Tubs held the keys to the late late show guest list and Irish entertainers need that promotional opportunity. Now yesterday's man, he's getting both barrels. 😂

I wonder will Tubs mention how Taylor Swift is Irish now, and then swing it around to JFK?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭supereurope

Commercial stations tend to be pretty ruthless if a presenter isn't bringing the numbers in, even more so if the listenership is down on the previous presenter, so I'd imagine his contract would have a clear break clause in it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm starting to feel sorry for Ryan. 😔He must know he's not doing well at Virgin. 

I don't think he does realise it. I know he has to keep up the hearty tones obviously, but I would say he thinks he is flying it. I really would.

I have no sympathy for him. Greed was his downfall after all the years of being grossly overpaid for a job he was never suited to, in the first place.

• Advertisement

Sampling some of the 2nd and 3rd hour. The theme based on first records bought and band names. The 11:18 am link made for pretty slick radio - Getting a lightbulb for a sowing machine.

Some redemption found at 11:28, a short introduction from Tubridy about the first record you may have bought - A link mostly engineered by the production team and a stark contrast to the usual mess.

At 11:33 Ryan comes back and does his own thing - McDonald's? Seagulls going bonkers? Then going to Bath? and then his voice just dramatically increased in pitch and intensity, the link then just exploded like the Death Star at the end of Star Wars. Even playing Shaboozey's 'A Bar Song' (Tipsy) in between could not make up for the chaotic presentation.

At 12:27 Coming out of 'Don't Stop Believin' led Ryan to announce "That was Journey" then angrily shouting JURNAY!! - possibly causing some listeners to experience a sudden jolt or possibly sending some into cardiac arrest whilst at the same time leading some to question the emotional health of the presenter.

12:58 To wrap up - Kicking walls in Dublin

Love Listening.

Post edited by nonetheless on

Advertisement