Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier beats a woman unconscious, gets a great reference from his commanding officer, avoids jail.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

You have this arse about tit…the problem is no prison spaces so lenient sentencing guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,432 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This has been pointed out already. This scumbag was spared jail NOT because of anything to do with prison spaces. It was to do with his career. It’s not rocket-science. The judge was very clear in his reasons to suspend the sentence. A disgraceful abuse of power.

Not surprised you’re struggling to comprehend it. You also wanted to say that Natasha provoked Crotty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭boardise

Micheal Martin is Minister for Defence. He did comment on the situation in his overarching role as Tánaiste.

You can tone down the apoplexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭abff

I can’t agree that what the judge did was worse than what Crotty did, but it certainly compounded the damage and it was a disgraceful misuse of judicial discretion. The sooner he’s gone from the bench, the better.

In some ways the judge’s decision made matters worse for Crotty than would have been the case if he had imposed an immediate custodial sentence. Something like a five year sentence with the last two years suspended to allow for the guilty plea and the fact that he was a first time offender would have been more appropriate and probably would have avoided the media furore that surrounded the extreme lenience shown by the judge.

As things stand, Crotty’s name is mud (and deservedly so) and I think that it is likely that he will have to emigrate in order to have any hope of a normal future. But he will have to wait until the army has completed its disclipinary hearing as otherwise he will be adding desertion to his list of problems.

Hard to feel much sympathy for him, but perhaps he will in time come to reflect on what he has done and will make a genuine effort to turn his life around.

• Advertisement

This scumbag was spared jail NOT because of anything to do with prison spaces.

Have you a source/link for that?

No offence, but that's some leap you're making. Have a look at all the other vicious assault cases where the accused got a suspended sentence. That was all successful army career too was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Had Crotty been sent to jail for a couple of years this story wouldn't have blown up like it did. He might have been able to move on in time and slip under the radar.

As it is his face has been all over the place and people up and down the country are talking about him. He is screwed in this country now, nobody will want anything to do with him.

Link for what? Read what the judge said. Nowhere did he suggest/imply or say he was sparing Crotty jail because there were no prison spaces. He was clear as to why he suspended the sentence.

You’re either trolling or incapable of reading what the judge said.

Judge Tom O’Donnell, said Crotty’s actions on the night were “utterly appalling”.

The judge said he had “no doubt” that if he imposed an immediate jail sentence on Crotty, that his army “career is over”.

“He (Crotty) took pride in striking a defenceless female in what was a cowardly, vicious, unprovoked and totally unnecessary assault,” the judge said.

He said he had to “take into account” that Crotty had no previous convictions; Crotty’s army career; that Crotty pleaded guilty early, which eliminated the necessity for a jury trial and the prolonged use of Garda and court resources; and that a trial would have compounded Ms O’Brien’s trauma.

“In fairness to him (Crotty), he has come to court and publicly admitted his wrongdoing, and he has made a public acknowledgement of his criminality,” the judge said.

Yes, what you've posted above is about sentencing guidelines.

Link for what? - Have a read and you'll soon know.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bartkingcole

of course it’s the people more generally but I don’t think the State has been particularly kind to women since its inception. We have very poor visible policing, we have an alcohol culture that is not healthy, we have a defence forces which is not fit for purpose, we have a judiciary which is out of touch with reality, we have a culture of thugs in society who intimidate people, and the streets are not as safe as they should and could be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You are just speculating that she nearly died. I haven't seen anything connected with the trial that suggested that this was the case.

What are you talking about, I've never engaged with anyone on that topic.

What are you talking about, I've never engaged with anyone on that topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 baxterooneydoody

Is it not gender based violence which would imply its violence against all people whether male or female,that's the way I'm picking it up but maybe I'm wrong

There was no trial, Francie. Very simple: that man could have killed Natasha with that vicious assault, and it’s not at all hyperbole or exaggeration to think this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I wonder are laws and jail terms constantly updated, or are they still going off laws that were useful a hundred years ago? because the current system does not work and does not stop anybody from doing what they like..

Again, no idea what you’re on about..

It’s been explained to you clearly that the judge did not jail Crotty due to a lack of prison spaces. Your incability of grasping this is on you.

This sentencing guidelines has nothing to do with my clear points to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Stay Free

By your logic that one punch could kill, any of the thousands of assault cases that happen in this country are attempted murder/manslaughter cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

Indeed. The mental side of something like this is very difficult to understand unless you've gone through it. You can recover physically but the mental scars will always remain and they are things you just have to live with. I was attacked by a dog myself as a kid and have a couple of scars but otherwise I'm grand physically. Mentally however, it was absolutely chilling to realise how helpless I was and how easily I could have died. To a young, fit and strong person, going through something where your health is compromised can be very difficult mentally. You have to just get on with it but you just feel much weaker/vulnerable than you ever felt and I'd say it's practically impossible to understand unless you've gone through it.

• Advertisement

My logic nothing. I’m not talking about the 1000s of other assaults. And I’ve never mentioned manslaughter or attempted murder: I’m taking about Crotty’s assault: Your attempts to downplay this assault as hyperbole because people rightly have said (including the victim) that she could have been killed is shameful.

A woman battered unconscious by a brute of a man, who feared she was going to be killed, and who suffered serious injuries, including a severe concussion, and you come out with this guff about people exaggerating-using hyperbole in daring to suggest that she could have been killed.

Take a look at what you’re saying here. It’s bloody far from hyperbole to say she could have been killed.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Well, you have to look at what raised him.

https://www.joe.ie/news/father-of-disgraced-soldier-cathal-crotty-blames-media-for-putting-him-here-806162

“Because in court he got his case squashed and a three-year suspended sentence. But it’s the media that’s put him further into it.

"Squashed?" Does he think his son was acquitted, somehow?

No remorse there, or sympathy for his son's victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭65535

The problem (as the Army would see it) is that the offence he committed was outside the Barracks against a Civilian, was dealt with in a Civilian court and therefore that's the end of the matter.

Of course with the current public and political outcry then he could be court martialled but they'd have to ensure they could make it stick.

He might be charged under section 154 of the DFR (Defence Force Regulations) of 1954 - Conduct Prejedicuce to Good Order and Discipline. (The catch all clause)

If Spike Island Army Prison was still open he'd get a few months there in the 'Digger' but I can only assume that it's in the Curragh Camp now - after that he'd be dishonorably discharged.

"Legally the courts martial procedure would be more sure footed and not lead to challenges, a number of sources have said. 

The military has its own independent judicial system in which
    personnel found guilty of wrongdoing can be fined, summarily dismissed
    and also sentenced to imprisonment. 

It is understood that the Defence Forces internal procedures do
    contain a measure to deal with a soldier, like Crotty, convicted of an
    offence in a civilian court. "

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Next protest should be at Parkroe Heights, Ardnacrusha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Notmything

Nope, military courts deal with matters while on active service say, or while in uniform. In this case it would have no jurisdiction.

Unless he used a move solely taught and used by the military. Most people could probably do what he did without any training.

I used "double jeopardy" to reference that he can't be tried for the same offence twice if already convicted in a civilian court. Probably should have used double punishment or something.

Look I was in the military for years, scumbags like him shame us by association. I dread what that tribunal will find out as the army has a lot of dirty linen hidden away.

The thing with Crotty is tho it's in the public and there is only one outcome that will be acceptable. But I know guys who kept their job after being convicted of assault as well as some who were discharged. In this case it's not quite a lottery but.....

Apologies but I don't know how to break up a quote to reply to different parts lol

You can purchase your discharge at anytime (except wartime I assume). Happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,081 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

OMG his son did it, the parents and the son should issue a public apology to Natasha not throw blame, the son only plead guilty after cctv footage was uncovered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭political analyst

The fact that Crotty's army career was regarded by Judge O'Donnell as mitigation contrasts with the case across the border in which Robert Atkinson, the ex-cop who perverted the course of justice after the murder of Robert Hamill, was jailed. In Atkinson's case, that fact that he was a cop when he committed the crime was considered an aggravating factor - and I guess it would be the same in this jurisdiction. In other words, Crotty probably would have been jailed if he had been a garda (whether on or off duty). Given that the police and the military are the security forces, why is a soldier treated more leniently than a garda would be?

• Advertisement
Advertisement