Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly food budget for a single person

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Just two little tips. As mentioned before - stock cubes. You can make soups and curries with the simple chicken or vegtable stock cube. Have you tried paneer? It's an Indian tofu which is great in stir fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭defiantdancer

@pauly58 thank you!great idea- I will look up some Indian vegetarian recipes.

@Alonzo Mosley thank you! You are the second person to suggest Indian vegetarian. I just looked up paneer & it is a very good source of protein so will definitely give it a go!

@lisasimpson thank you! I think I will have to invest in a slow cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

@HeidiHeidi

Thank you for your comment on basil. I love basil and I am successful in growing other things but i never kept a shop bought basil plant alive for more than a couple of weeks.

You have inspired me and I just bought some basil seeds online.

Btw OP, a tin of chopped tomatoes, some onion, garlic and a few basil leaves is a great basic Bolognese sauce.

On onions, I know this goes against the grow your own trend here but i swear by frozen diced onion from tesco. 500grams is 1 euro. You nolonger need a full onion if cooking a single meal, just a handful. Less mess and waste too, and you'll be surprised how long the bag lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You need to have variety and the odd treat thrown in. These people saying make 50 meals and freeze them etc seem to forget that isnt sustainable

Dont kill yourself. Enjoy life a little too.

I will echo that sentiment also. I cook about 12 dishes and put in the freezer, any more and I get bored. One week I'll do an italian, the next an indian so that I have a selection,

Nothing wrong with having a few frozen pizzas in the freezer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Do try growing your own tomatoes from seed. They grow very successfully on my balcony and are pretty fail-safe once they have a nice decent pot to grow in. At end of summer you can have a great big crop to make soup, sauces, salads, whatever you fancy. Highly recommend it. Tomatoes have become so expensive, and your home grown won’t disappoint.

@tohaltuwi thank you! I will definitely give it a go as absolutely love tomatoes!

you won’t regret it, go for your favourite. I went for colour this year:

• Advertisement

Aldi do a nice frozen pizza. Its their own premium range but is very nice. A decent treat at the weekend with a beer or wine.

And the thing about frozen pizza is, theres nothing stopping you adding more toppings. I love spicy things and always have a jar of jalapenos in my press. Even a cheapy pizza can be augmented to something Mr Dominos would be envious of.

Most frozen pizzas are nicer than dominos in my opinion.

Don’t forget, too, you can make your own plant food, full of suggestions on Google, one will suit your circumstances.

My late aunt and her husband lived on a smallhold and were big into self-sufficiency, from having chickens, keeping a cow, growing tons of veg, making own superb beer, wine, “champagne” and having a pot still for use use. If you went out to them the fire would be roaring, a beautiful meal would be served, and a tipple of their home production, with classical music playing in the background. Made own clothes too, There made money go a long, long way and raised their 7 children to treat produce with great respect.

they are both de eased, she lived to 88 fully active, dropped dead of a stroke after a good party, he lived to 99. Active living, reading galore, singing together, holidays in Bulgaria and anywhere cheap. Both came from comfortable middle class Dublin households, he from a Protestant background, met in a solicitor’s office where they were legal assistants and he initially considering further studies in law; but had a much more dreamy inclination to live off the land on as little as possible. My grandmother was exasperated, as she said most people try and get promotion when getting married, he left his job, bought a plot of land and they built their own house, first child helping! As that child later said, it was the best upbringing anybody could have.

Their time was before solar panels, but knowing him, if he were around now he’d be doing diy panels from junk. Had the car running on slurry at one point. There was nothing he could not turn his hand to and she too. They were pure hippies at heart, love & peace and all that. Brought pigs to market via her old family home in Rathgar with neighbours looking askance. Honestly a TV series could have been made there.

At the start of the popular Internet era she set herself up in the 2000s, having trawled electronic wares skips adjacent to a tech shop. She had taken all the self-taught free computer courses on offer in the public libraries, and used the library books to learn about computer parts and how they work together. She enlisted her son’s help to physically carry the components as she had heart failure at this stage, but insisted on no help whatsoever with sorting them out as she wanted to retain her sharp intellect as she did til her last breath. She constantly learned new things, and declared that the later in life she was the more intelligent she became, and this absolutely proved true.

Simple basic living, using all the free resources, great food, enjoying culture, literally dancing on the street, all for free. My aunt thought the state pension was very generous as she had been managing with less money (in cost of living terms) earlier in life. Holidays abroad twice yearly, who guessed a person on subsistence could do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

i must admit I've become in the same boat recently. Some of the things I've done

I love my meat, and find myself going to the local tesco or dunnes to see if any of the meat is reduced (none of the saucy or flavoured ones). Buy and freeze. I do eat smaller meat portions.

I haven't yet ventured into gardening, but am now buying frozen veg (1 euro a bag) and zero waste. Unless of course there is reduced veg per point above

I can't do more than a few meals cooked and frozen, bores me and makes me depressed, i do a few only

I always make my own soup, one blender and stock cubes and I'm good to go

I'm guilty of buying cheap bread at 89P every now and then

I've tried one cheap brand after another for certain items, e.g. baked beans, butter, spagetti, peas, custard etc. and I know now which ones I like and will bother with, and which ones are too full of sugar and salt and not worth the money and don't taste nice. (but I always have some tins in my cupboard for the days I have no money).

I've started eating tinned tuna, lentils, rice and pasta more often

I can make an irish stew last for three days, or a curry

I'm crap at roasted vegetables, whole chickens are a waste cos i hate thighs and drumsticks, and jelly and cheap custard is now a firm treat

I'm guilty of watering down milk when I need to, and buying a huge block of cheese in bulk is a waste cos it goes mouldy and I shouldn't be eating so much of it

I blend left over bread, etc. and freeze my breadcrumbs to add variety to lots of stuff.

I make my minced beef burgers go further by adding in breadcrumbs, egg, herbs etc.

I tried frozen pizza and like it, i add in extra stuff.

I used my dunnes voucher every now and then, and bulk buy

I've learned that I have to cut back on treats and life is not so bad, and i feel like my mother when I see food waste, and I know that I need interest and variety and a treat now and then.

I've stopped going out for meals, and when I meet pals for lunch i simply say I've already eaten, or I'll buy my own thanks.

I long for the days when I used to buy coffee at a petrol station and a pastry to go. Perhaps they will come back!

hang in there

@the14thwarrior thank you. I hope things get better for you too.

@tohaltuwi they both sound amazing! It is wonderful that you have such lovely memories of them😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭mulbot

That's some serious beneficial information, cheers for this.👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

make sure they are the hanging type and not the the "Jack and the beanstalk"type

lol, unless you have a little set up for beanstalk growth, could be charming! A few luscious strawberries dangling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If money is tight for food, see if there are other parts of your grocery shopping that don't really need to be in the trolley. One of the most wasteful things are paper products, i.e. kitchen towel and toilet paper. Seeing as this is essentially a food thread, I won't go into details, but there's a whole corner of the internet where you'll find advice on living without one and the other.

Something else to be careful of are "special offers" - get in the habit of always checking the €/kg price of whatever you're buying, even if it's discounted. You'll often find that something that's being sold off cheap is only "cheap" compared to it's usual price, but is still more expensive than an alternative brand.

Along the same lines, though, try to set aside some money so that you can take advantage of bulk-buy offers provided that they're products you regularly buy; and also so you can benefit from the "5€ off 50 or more" type vouchers. In the case of the latter, though, aim for a trolley value of €50.01 ! Well, maybe settle for 51-52€ … but make a list, and tot it up as you go around the shop; then stop when you're just over the qualifying amount (being careful to take account of any individual item cash-back promotions you might have picked up on the way).

If money is tight for food, see if there are other parts of your grocery shopping that don't really need to be in the trolley. One of the most wasteful things are paper products, i.e. kitchen towel and toilet paper. Seeing as this is essentially a food thread, I won't go into details, but there's a whole corner of the internet where you'll find advice on living without one and the other.

Ah jeez lets not depress the OP even further. There is saving money, there is being thrifty, but looking for alternatives to toilet paper??

Tesco Luxury Soft is 9 rolls for 4 euros. One roll a week (which would be extravagant), adds up to 44 cent a week. or 6 cent a day. I think the OP can afford that.

Funny anecdote. I worked in Intel in Leixlip for a while and lived in a shared house with about 4 other engineers. It was slightly above minimum wage, everyone was permanently broke. Practically everything in the house by way of furnishings had been boosted out of Intel. The toilet roll dispenser in the toilet, was one of the industrial level ones like you see in restaurant bathrooms. I asked, "What happens when we run out?" and the senior tenant said "We wont, Mick stole about 10 replacement rolls and he can get more any time".

a terrific source of protein is Dahl, plenty of recipes on Internet, and really very healthy is made with the right oils. I take a lot of these anti-cholesterol oils, I ain’t slim, but my blood lipids are “extraordinary” in that they are anti-cholesterol, and a cath lab angiogram demonstrated excellent coronary arteries. I use a lot of walnut oil, dimly I love the flavour, but there are tons of superb oils that are essentially very good as long as taken in a blanched diet. (I’m plump. do as I say!)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I was laughing cos i was thinking the same thing re toilet paper. I got 24 rolls for 10 euro in dunnes, and it was better than the tesco brand. I bought two lots and some milk, had a 25 voucher and i won't run out of bog roll for a long time! always check the unit price FYI.

I am guilty of swiping a few sachets of brown sauce (only use it for stews) and mustard (mix with breadcrumbs for a cheap batter). I draw the line at the sugar sachets though!

I buy cheap flour and if lemons are reduced /on sale I find pancakes are a tasty treat and something different.

@LambshankRedemption your last story DID make me laugh & took my mind off my money worries!

re toilet paper, I wish wish wish that Japanese toilet paper were here. I no longer have to wipe my rear(removed by radical surgery 😱😁) but I am living proof in being an expert on toilet paper. Since having the ileostomy I require a nice “bedding” to empty upon, that disappears upon a flush. Ireland has worst toilets/paper. I am sick and tired of replacing toilet paper for my current needs, any advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Pounds and ounces???

I retired three years back, I last did that rubbish in primary school.

I buy in kg and litres, it helps compare prices. What can possibly be easier than a litre of water equals a kilogram, then if you are blessed with ten fingers and not eight or sixteen………………:-).

Pounds and ounces were used in the UK by some traders in open markets trying to pull a fast one as they knew an easy comparison on price was not possible for the thinking challenged.

Of course when Trading standards prosecuted them for the units because even then they were giving short measure, they started the "patriotic attack" on British values whingeing.

The use of imperial units is fine if you live in an outpost cut off from the rest of the planet, but if you buy books in imperial measurements, you also need to see where it was published. Not all units are the same in every country.

I bought piles of cookbooks, it's just a way of using shelf space for coloured pictures.

My approach is simply buy what is a bargain, or grow/ produce food that you like or find easy to propagate and simply do a search on the internet using the ingredients. A cook book will be festooned with recipes that you need to buy in material for and a lot of spices or other ingredients might not be fit for use when you next produce a dish requiring them.

Frankly by the time shelf life and natural flavour variations are taken into account, half of the ingredients could probably be omitted anyway with few noticing the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

3L of milk, I actually add one 3l container and whatever is open and on the go in the fridge. I now have a controller I bought from Amazon at £8.00 I will give you the delails if you want them but for a one off you can do it by watching and waiting.

Without a controller I just leave the pot on full heat, but you need to watch the temperature.

Use any milk, low fat, full fat or raw milk is available and I have used it.

Watch the temperature go up to eighty five to 92 degrees C. then switch off.

Allow the temperature to fall to 42 to 45 degrees and drop a dollop of cheap own brand natural yoghurt in. Use some from a previous batch or even some whey if you have any left over.

I did buy live cultured yoghurts, but the cheapo stuff from Lidl or Aldi is fine, I look for Greek style natural that has the strain of bacteria listed. It's not sold as "live" but I have yet to find a tub that isn't extremely frisky.

The quantity added does not seem to make much difference, I stick about half a pot in and give it a stir with a plastic or wooden spoon.

Then with a controller you want the lowest heat setting and walk away for a few hours or I have left a batch for a couple of days.

If you don't have a controller or if you want to save the small amount of power wasted, wrap the slow cooker in a few towels to keep the heat in.

You will have to return from time to time just to see the heat does not drop too much though.

You will find the yoghurt start to thicken in three or four hours or less.

The longer its left the more the whey separates and if you want a fairly solid Greek style yoghurt a sieve will separate out the whey.

I ran a test and half a litre of the whey takes around a level teaspoon of bread soda to neuteralise it, so that's the quantity I base my soda bread on.

Buttermilk is an added expense and I don't like the idea of using naturally soured milk using whatever is in the air. Basically because I want to remove variables, so the whey is perfect.

The one thing I do to soda bread that I have not seen in any recipe is liberally coat the surface of the loaf with the whey and lightly rub it in before baking.

When I remove the loaf from the oven I wrap it in a tea towel to cool and it provides a nice pliable crust that is not too brittle at all.

Once you start you tend to find that the yoghurt making becomes a small part of the proceedings, it's really versatile and the downside is that when yo have tubs facing you every time the fridge door is opened, it's hard to resist.

Advertisement