Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I find this quite depressing (current state of Irish residence market, personal experience):

• 22-06-2024 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I used to live in a penthouse apartment in a four story apartment building.

South facing, beautiful, bright, spacious and most importantly, quiet. No disturbances.

I had to move out when it was sold (it was actually temporarily operating as a brothel for a time thereafter), but then some couple moved in, then it was sold again.

The council bought it, and it's now housing Ukrainian refugees.

I'm not judgemental, but I can't say I don't find it messed up that there's a couple now living there, in a penthouse apartment, that never leave it, whilst native Irish working professionals can either not get a place, or live in a hovel paying ridiculous rent.

I'm hardly the first to notice this, but it really drives home the circulating rhetoric on this national topic for me personally.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Post edited by The_Conductor on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I agree.

My daughter was living in an apartment in a town in Kerry. She got on great with the LL, she went away for 3 months, he said he'd keep it for her , even told her to leave her stuff there. When she came back her stuff had been packed away and a Ukrainian family of 4 were living there with a beautiful white Ukranian BMW parked outside the front door. She is now living in a camper van as there is nowhere to rent in that town in Kerry but she needs to be there in order to work.

The rhetoric is bizarre on this, its like a form of reverse racism. I'm guessing this thread will be closed down or I will be banned like I was from another thread on a similar topic because I was using "anecdotes". Unfortunately this "anecdote" is the daily truth of my daughter's life and of so many other Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

The reality is also, they're very aware of their position.

I'm certainly not saying they should NOT be housed, but modular housing or even the improvised setup mentioned, to me, would be more than adequate.

I see them frequently and they know they've kind of hit the lotto and want no part of the life or lifestyle they originally came from (before the conflict).

Giving prime accommodation and free reliable income to residents who've almost certainly come from considerably less, is a recipe to ensure they'll never want to leave (as it's purported many were seeking the economic benefits initially anyways, even if they weren't feeling the brunt or effects of the catastrophe in their country).

I genuinely believe this situation (referring to the governments lackadaisical, half-baked approach to refugee management re housing), needs to be reviewed and tightened up at the earliest possible time.

Modular, temporary, improvised housing, absolutely.

Prime Irish real estate? This absolutely needs to be re-examined.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭DubCount

I know this is not popular, but IMHO some of this is a reaction to the race for tenant protections over the last few years.

The Accommodation Recognition Payment (ARP) has big advantages over regular rental income for landlords:

• 800 euro per month income tax free will mean more net income from ARP than about 1600 per month from regular rental income for some landlords
    • The people staying in the properties are licensees and not tenants, so after 2 years, if the property goes back on the regular rental market, RPZ will not apply
    • As the people are licensees, there is no registering with the RTB, no overholding, no eviction bans etc.

In trying to protect tenants in the market, we have created an incentive for landlords to move to ARP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Spot on if government didn't interfere with all their rules for landlords, giving all the rights to tennents and the mess they have created, perhaps nobody would house Ukrainians. Ukrainians must be laughing all the way to the bank. There is no way in hell, previous to the war that Ukraine would have paid to accommodate Irish for free in their homes.

Previous to all these rules, there was no lack of rentals and prices were lower.

Remember the shills only get paid when you react to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I am glad to have recently got out of letting market & gladly sold the property to the long term tenants, slightly lower than market value, but worked out well for everyone except for estate agent’s astronomical fee when their was no advertising or viewing involved. I had been locked into a lower than market value letting income. It has made good sense all around and I would not recommend any one individual investing in the letting market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tbf not all Ukrainians hit the jackpot, some are living in mouldy kips in the arse end of nowhere with nothing to do, getting served wormy food past its best. It's pure chance where they end up.

Basically we have regressed to a market that just suits property owners (large and small), big developers and investment funds for old rich foreigners. Young single people without the bank of mom and pop, won't get so much as a sniff at a owning a house.

Ideally the playing field much be levelled but property owners, incl those who whinge about their own adult kids living under their feet, won't want that.

Also it's funny when Irish people are jealous of Ukrainian's cars, what did you expect them to arrive on? Donkeys? A wreck held together with baler twine like the Beverly Hillbillies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It is well known they drive expensive cars not just in Ireland either. Expensive cars that perhaps the locals who pay for their own rent cannot afford. They should sell their cars and pay for the accommodation just like the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭XsApollo

you can also bet that the ones that could afford the porsches ( 2 around where I live ) and could afford to pay their way while they are here, were the first to arrive also.
    easy pack up the Porsche and go where ever you want.
    while the ones that had no way out and actually needed help were probably stuck with no way out until they got help.

• Advertisement

More a bang of reality rather than jealousy don't you think.

You are welcome to pack them in your home for free though.

I dont blame them for coming here. Not their fault.

Yourself and Putin would make great buddies.

I've not seen them in Porsches either, just regular family cars not dissimilar to ones already here. Even so if Russians start bombing your country a Porsche is just as useful as any car to get out of dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DialecticAspirations

What a strange thing to say…

Obviously a luxury car sitting outside refugee accommodation is incongruous. Possible sign of a broken system or a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

if they bought the car in Ukraine and drive it here what do you expect them to do? Sell it at a significant loss as left hand drive to buy a right hand drive, which when they return home will be useless

Total nonsense

Typical Irish begrudgery over people fleeing a war, a new low for some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

You'd think someone who owns a 60 or 70k car could find (somewhere in the 80 per cent of Ukraine that isn't occupied) a place to rent, but why would they when they can live here for free

There must be some wealthy refugees round your way, all the ones I’ve seen look as if they are just surviving, walking the roads to their accomadation with Aldi/Lidl bags, I have yet to see an expensive motor parked outside any of the accomadation, but I suppose there will always be outliers, and those right wingers who will try and convince others that it is the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭standardg60

How do you know anything in relation to this 'penthouse' and what happened to it after you left?

A high end BMW 3 series is 88k in Ukraine new, BMW M3 based on the website, looking at an Irish BMW website, the same car seems to start at 151k

Not spending a whole time reviewing spec etc

Looking at a car which is sold and Ireland and thinking it is the same price in Europe is wrong

We pay more first off becuase we are right hand drive and then out government takes a nice chuck

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Some serious bang of begrudgery of some posts!

Do people understand that cars are a lot cheaper on the European mainland? should they leave their cars behind?

It's not any refugees fault or problem that the housing market is dysfunctional in this country. Not is it their fault that landlords decide to take them rather then anyone else.

Some serious racism lately in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Must be a right pain in the hole for them to be lugging the free buggies all the way up to the penthouse? Sure, some will point out that they can just leave them outside on the street and get another free one tomorrow, but then they'd miss out out on the fun of throwing them from the penthouse down onto the plebs passing by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Are they not here under temporary protection? They'll need to leave the state after the war, which won't happen. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Maxface

The people that caused this housing crisis are the very people sitting in office today. Don't get distracted with the Ukrainians who are fleeing that evil bastard Putin, and who are running for their lives. If they all left tomorrow, would that be the end of the housing crisis? Might be a few more hotel rooms, but it won't mean an affordable home for those that need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

I hear you're far right now OP.

But seriously Ireland's housing situation is like something out of a Monty Python sketch at this stage.

We keep voting the same fools in and except it to change for some reason though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

The racism card is boring at this stage. Get a new act for goodness sake.

I did

I doubt you had the cop on to check the price of the car you claimed was 60-70k

So you want to stop people calling out racism because it is "boring"

Don't think you will get much support for that.

What else do you want to stop been called out because it is boring? homophobia?

Reading this thread is a great example of racism, a lot of thread on boards when it comes to Ukraine and immigrants are the same and it's from the same accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭csirl

MIL has a house she rents out. Has no other income - this is her pension.

Was rented out normally. Tenants left - bought their own house, which is good to see these days. Put on the market again for rent. She got s visit from 2 x Red Cross reps seeking accommodation for Ukrainians. Hard sell, poor people fleeing war etc. so she signed up, even though the 800e per month is less than half the market rent - and the drop in income is causing her financial hardship.

Couple who moved in didnt come direct from Ukraine. Both had been living here the past 2-3 years in rental accommodation. Both in full time employment - would be a typical middle income family. One has an occupatiion that is in short supply, so no issues getting work. Would not qualify for supports in Ireland based on income. Yet getting free accommodation?

How is that relevant to what I said tho.What would I care what made up scenario you came up with to bring your argument into it

Racism is prejudice or hostility towards a person's race, colour, language, nationality, or national or ethnic origin

🤯

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Fairly obvious to me, if you don't understand then no point ruining the thread trying to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Do people understand that cars are a lot cheaper on the European mainland? should they leave their cars behind?

Pretty much this, coupled to the fact that in a lot of ex Soviet countries, people will spend a huge percentage of their salary on having a good car, while at the same time living in sh1tty run down apartments…

I spend a lot of time in Lithuania, and there are far far more high end cars there than there are in Ireland. (Porsche's are as common there as Qashqai's are here, Bentley's are as common there as S-Class Merc's are here.. and so on…)

I've a neighbour over there and he drives a relatively new Volvo XC90, so if Russia does decide to invade the Baltics, I'll make sure to tell him if he's planning to come to Ireland he should ditch the fancy Volvo and arrive here in a clapped out Fiesta instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What's your point? You MIL should have been aware of the 800 per month. That amount is fixed regardless of whether the occupants are imagined to be destitute or millionaires.

Their circumstances would not change her financial hardship in any way shape or form. It merely makes your post smack or begrudgery and bitterness (whether you intend it, or are aware of it)

If they are indeed in under that scheme, then can she not just get rid of them? Especially given their wealth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭xyz13

Ukrainians are Caucasians.

Irish are Caucasians.

Precisely Bollox Chop.

Xenophoby, perhaps, not racism.

Bien faire et laisser dire...

Then she should report them to the department who is renting out the property

The rest of the story seems implausible to be honest.

Why did your MIL rent for half the going rate if she knew both the going rate and the 800 tax free payment for housing Ukrainians? If it is causing financial hardship, she should have stern words with the dope who made the decision.

Well, perhaps the punchline here is the council are buying up rental accommodation and giving it, basically for free, to non-Irish, non-working economic migrants (and as per anecdotes here, not just rental accommodation, but prime real estate).

Whilst native Irish busting there asses to make ends meat are struggling to find any kind of roof over their head, and more than 30% between the age of 20 and 40 are still living in their parents house.

If it wasn't Ukrainians, it would be economic migrants from Africa etc.

I'm just saying, this is a messed up situation, as we all well know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You live in a country with a very high GDP per capita and no matter how many arguments are made about it's calculation the fact remains that not a single country with a high GDP per capita as a low or even comfortable cost of living level. And the only way to change that is to bring down people's standard of living.

The majority of the voters are property owners with large mortgages and would find themselves in negative equity plus a need to up the equity part of their mortgage should housing prices fall.

The majority of those seeking long term housing are only interested in a solution that includes them getting to own a house at a reasonable price in their preferred location.

The refugees are an easy target for you, but the next time you are out in public look around and realise that very few of those people who have a vote are going to vote to make themselves poorer so you can get cheap housing. And while I would not credit FG/FF politicians of being any brighter than the rest, their party machines understand this equation very well.

So if you want change, you can either work to convince voters to vote to make themselves poorer or convince those seeking housing that home ownership is not in their future. Housing is going to be a problem long after the refugees go home and they will go home because the EU will pump so much cash into the reconstruction that it will be very attractive, even for Irish workers.

is this the apartment you were complaining bitterly about the water system?

You need to broaden your understanding of our equality legislation.

(h) that they are of different race, colour, nationality or ethnic or national origins (in this Act referred to as “the ground of race”),

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DialecticAspirations

Some of the posts in this thread are very strange indeed.

This person is talking about the practicalities of driving a car from one country to another.

Which has no connection whatsoever with the post they have quoted.

Perhaps they quoted the wrong post? Or just misunderstood that post?

Or perhaps they are simply not communicating in good faith…

The housing crises was present prior to the migrant influx.

It's now been made 10x worse.

As to home ownership, that's not really what's at stake. More so, "how do I keep a solid roof over my head".

As bad as the sales market is, the rental market is worse again.

There's no accommodation to be had yet councils are buying out what comes online and allocating it to, as prior, economic migrants.

The last sentence in your post after the "and" is WILDLY speculative on SO MANY levels.

BTW, high GDP per capita is intended to reflect prosperity and well being, but as I'm sure you're aware this figure in Ireland is insanely skewed and basically a misrepresentation due to the nature of how we got our "high GDP per capita" in the first place.

The current mob in power have made an absolute hames of their responsibilities and obligations on so many levels, whilst cowering behind every piece of cop-out rhetoric they can contrive.

Out of interest, how many properties currently housing Ukrainians would otherwise have been made available to rent/sell by the owners?

Also, as you have absolutely no connection to the property you referred to in the op, could you please give the address, I’d like to see what a penthouse bought by the LA looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

In English, the word "racism" is used to describe discrimination based on race OR ethnicity. The word "ethnicism" can mean discrimination based on ethnicity, but it can also mean ethnic loyalty or relate to the structure of an ethnic society, so it's not a commonly used word in this context, as it's very imprecise and can have both positive and negative connotations. The word "racism" doesn't have such ambiguity, so it's very commonly used instead. It's just the way English works - not every word adheres to it's "literal" meaning. I hope this clears up your confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭frank730

well said, even if all Ukrainians left tomorrow it wont make a difference to the housing situation, the rent is still going to be high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭csirl

IMHO MIL is elderly and was taken advantage of. Hard sell with sob stories. Old people can find it difficult to deal with this type of in your face pressure. Shouldnt be allowed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thread closed, pending review by moderators.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement