Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Marrooned

when are the terrace tickets on sale?

I see the Borough have the KK flags flying

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lob it in

Two absolutely brutal quarter finals.Cork sleepwalked through their match and left Dublin in it but Dublin are a very poor team and could'nt take advantage near the end,Donal Burke who is a class hurler had a mare.

Weford should just pretend that it's Kilkenny thier going out to play every match it's hard to understand how they were so passive today and play out of their skins every time they meet us,I know the red card had a big impact on the match ( first yellow card never a yellow) but they weren't at the races today.Clare again in two weeks I would strongly fancy are chances of beating them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Poor old Lohan won't be able to sleep for the next 2 weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

• Advertisement

I think we are hurling better this year than last year and on the flip side I don't think Clare are hurling as well this year as last,I could end up with egg on my face but that's what I think at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭droppingball

Why their backs aren't great, few forwards to worry about alright but think we will be favorites

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

It took an Eoin Murphy wondersave to beat Clare last year. Can we keep Tony Kelly as quiet as the last two years? Kilkenny had a poor Round Robin series drawing with a poor Galway team and Carlow, barely beating Dublin and Wexford. Leinster form shown to be poor today. Match is 50 50 in my opinion. Shane O'Donnell, my favourite non KK player, has been in terrific form. Hopefully, Carey and Donnelly are fit to start, Murphy's puckouts continue to improve and better quality ball into forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Need everyone fit, there’s not much on the bench if things aren’t going right. Very marginal favourites with no injuries I think

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭jamesbond2022

I was at the games today and t Kelly was definetly more himself and will take minding o Donnell and Roger’s are Clare’s biggest threats up front duggan and Shanagher offered very little and d Fitz was quiet

I think we need to target conlon aswell as his legs seem to be going he’s not moving as freely as previous years

But again hard to judge as I thought Wexford were so disappointing I really thought they would really put it up to Clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Donnelly at 11 with Conlan sitting off him is going to be crucial for us. We'll need a big game from Cody inside on Hogan. I thought Clare would be vulnerable today but in fairness they did it comfortably although it would have been nice to see how they reacted to being drawn level if ROC didn't immediately get the line. I fancy us to get the job done in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

Absolute shocking hurling by wexford as other poster said they should pretend they are playing kilkenny.

Clare and Cork don't seem great shakes but I don't have a crystal ball.

Conor McDonald has to be the most over rated hurler in the country in my opinion shocking today and never delivers for Wexford on the big day.

Best of luck to the minors next Saturday evening ,hopefully a big crowd in the park to roar them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hogans heroes

O Connor sending off handed the game to clare, first never a yellow but discipline after that let hom down.In the semi we need to be disciplined as clare are bound to bring it after the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

first yellow was a joke , baffled the entire stadium , what 30 seconds in ? johnny ryan has normally been a ref to let things go that decision was way of his normal chart ,it made no sense

wexford were not great though , scored 4 points from play in the second half and at least 3 of them we gifted to them , had adam hogan not screwed up with a stupid backwards pass to allow wexford in for the penalty it could have been 7 points in our favor at the break

the only thing i would say about today is our shape is back to what it was last year and the year before but we are still making too many mistakes especially our short hand passing game it killed us today when the game was a contest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Tipp are really getting behind this minor team and want to get as many supporters as they can inside the gate. Clubs organizing buses and Players with little snippets on social media. Kk have improved alot of areas but they need to do more when it comes to these kind of things. I know supporters cant be forced to go to matches but a bit of joint up thinking with clubs and more advertising and promotion would help. I know these are only chaps but the same rules apply to the seniors the following week. Its embarrassing how poorly supported we are. Kk hurling gives us alot of good days out and the players deserve more support. Its being really highlighted the last few months how poor we are.Hopefully a big push next week is made and maybe a few senior players wishing them look.

Clare were in control for alot of that game except for the 10 min before the half time. Rory was their best foward at the time. The first yellow was scandalous but the 2nd probably a yellow but reidy definitely made the most of it because he was on a yellow. That game was there to be a lot closer for wexford but for some reason they never repeat their kk performances against most other teams. Are wexford happy enough to just compete with kk? I know quilligan is poor but chin and mac hit two at him in the 1st half theres no way he could let them in. They overdone the route one and became predictable. The big worry now for wexford hanlon,donahoe and liam og are near retiring and davey must of destroyed liam ryan and dee o keefe because they cant stay right at all. Chin when they really needed him agsinst kk and today he was missing. Himself and jack o connor injury prone. Theres a big enough job to be done in wexford and i dont know if they have the players to eat at the top table.

Clare will be happy to pull away at the end. Conlon now looks like a big weaklink and kk will definitely go after him bald headed. They will say the same about our 6 but johns legs are slowing down. Refs have really clamped down on clares fouling especially adam hogan buying frees so he wont get the 3 or 4 frees in a row like he did in the league final. Some of the clares movement was good and had wexford in 6s or 7s. We will have to get our match ups right. Eoin cody should be mad for a go on hogan again and teams are really identifying quilligan as a weak link but wexford were forcing goals.looking foward to the game and its a 50-50 no doubt.

The good news for a lot of people here is it wont be long before forchange is back id say he can nearly smell a defeat. As soon as kk are bet he will be on giving out about mossy and Donnelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Yes but Clare didnt hurl well against the Cats even when they were hurling well…

well I put up my flag yesterday, they won’t melt you know. The Boro had them up on Friday . I didn’t see any other club with flags out although the Main Street in Stoneyford is lined with KK flags. Win or lose on Saturday the flags can remain up for the seniors the following week. It really pisses me off that we have an all Ireland minor final in Nowlan park next Saturday and we mightn’t fill the place.remember the U21 final against Tipp a few years back we had some crowd that day we won the game and a great night on the town was had by all.

As regards the matches yesterday they were poor Dublin hadn’t enough belief in themselves and left it late to make a drive. Wexford as alluded to earlier only show up against KK. The referee ruined another game by the sending off again supporters good money thrown down the drain because the match was ruined.

I see the semi final is fixed for 3 o clock on the Saturday,not ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Shocking time people wonder then why people are not going to matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Camogie quarter final also on. Will Kilkenny be involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

It's a clash with the Euros quarter finals which are at 5pm (which could easily involve England which would rightly or wrongly be the most watched QFs) and 8pm so it's probably to avoid a clash for TV rights. Pity for the fans but I can see why the GAA has done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

The awful scheduling of matches has killed this year’s championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

A number of absentees that no doubt will have more to say after a loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

3pm on a Saturday is a shocking bad time..plenty lads will be working and struggling to get to see it on tv not to talk of getting up to the match..

I do think we will have enough to beat them.if anything they have gone back a bit I think…as others have said conlon seems to be struggling ..would it be a bit of a curve ball to put billy Ryan on him for a while and run at him..

I can see limerick winning the other one handy..

Those are obviously uneducated guesses before lads start mentioning crystal balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Normally Donal Burke is as clinical as the best of them. He had an awful day shooting from play and frees. I thought if he was in form they would've had a chance . Cork weren't overly impressive and seemed to take their foot off the gas but got the job done. After all the hype over their strong finish in Munster, it won't do any harm to bring them back a peg or 2(from their own perspective) and sets them up nicely for a crack at Limerick.

I thought Clare looked very good at times and in fairness kept the Wexford FF line quiet enough apart from O'Connor who was showing good signs up to the red card. After the red it was only a matter of time before Clare got away from them. Don't underestimate the loss of Liam Ryan who was coming back fresh after very little hurling all year. From what I've heard Wexford are in transition but the younger lads need another year or 2 before they'll be ready for this level of cship hurling. Daragh Egan's idea of a B squad may reap rewards further down the line.

Refs have been a topic for discussion all year from James Owens performance in Walsh Pk and Belfast to Jonny yesterday, there's just too many decisions being called wrong and badly wrong with that. Yesterday probably cost Wexford any chance they had and it's just not good enough at this level with players,partners, management,supporters and county board officials sacrificing so much over the winter/spring only to come up against people who are not up to the standard required unfortunately. We have the same discussions every year and still no solution in sight, maybe trial a 2nd ref or maybe even on the big games have a ref in studio looking at replays to see if further action is warranted(the 10min yellow in rugby with it being upgraded to red isn't a bad idea) but again this is only available for big games.

I feel the minors if they do't get carried away and are kept grounded will be good enough to beat Tipp, but only if they keep it tight at the back. Concede space to this Tipp frwd line and the game could be over at HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 longcovid

Two disappointing qf’s yesterday. Neither were competitive really . As said by others already the sending off for Wex finished that game as a contest. Thought Cork won the other comfortably. Anyway back to broken record time. The throwing in the Dub v Cork game was a disgrace and not one pulled. Dublin were more guilty than Cork amazingly. It was a disgrace that the Tip ref left it go. I turned against the Dubs because of it and found myself in the unusual position of supporting Cork. If we get that Ref or Stack in any of the remaining matches then the lads should just throw the bloody ball because they won’t pull it. I nearly switched off it was that bad. Something has got to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

I would try and get Adrian Mullen on Conlon as much as possible early doors, Adrian would shoot the lights out as Conlon is struggling to get close to his direct opponent this year and Adrian’s long rang pointing has gotten even better this year.

Then when Conlon tires, put a bit of speed on him like you mentioned, Billy Ryan.

Hogan will regret jumping up and down in Cody’s face every time he won a ball off him in the league final.

Cody is a different animal in Croker as we all know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Comerman

Advertisement