Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan resigns before the General Election.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The alternate to boom and bust for a politicial party is authoritarian dictatorship so I'm unsure what they are getting at other than a show of complete naivety.

GP know this and lean into it to get policies in place so they have an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The Nature Restoration Law could not become law until approved by the E.U. Environmental Council, but then you know that don`t you ?

For it to pass required it recieving majority support from E.U. State Governments. It was up for a vote before the E.U. Environmental Council in March, but was withdrawn because it was not going to get that majority. A shameful act on its own with regards to how that E.U. Council treated the principle of democracy, but still nowhere close to the shameful behaviour of greens, Ryan, Noonan and the quisling Austrian green Gesweeler acting totally against the expressed wishes of her own country during the twilight days between two parliaments.

Especially when all three knew that when they could not get it approved at E.U. Environmental Council level before the E.U. elections, they had no chance of getting it passed after the elections. Despicable behaviour from greens. Particularly by Ryan and Noonan.

I would have thought it would be a better idea for greens to attempt to understand why those "fair weather voters" desert them rather than a holier than thy attitude of "Father, forgive them,for they do not know what they do"

As far as I know the Irish Green Party has somewhere around 5,000 members and I would expect they could distinguish between the present retiring leader of the party holding the senior minister portfolio and determined to keep it until election day and the new leader of the party, but you are not going to win many seats with 5,000 votes nationally.

For the "fair weather voter" looking at it, especially where a deputy leader refused to step up, prefering to keep her powder dry and swan around waiting to decide if she will feast on the bones after the General Election and then take the leader out if it suits her, it could be a lot more confusing. As in WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Me carrying in a few cans to the shop aint going to stop climate change.

Going unnecessarily to put cans in a machine miles away will contribute alright Iv a bin a few feet from my door for that. Btw thats not what i was referring to.

Ya keep beating people dont expect them to be fond of you. Whats up next. More and bigger sticks again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's gas the amount of people who have no difficulty in bringing full cans and bottles home but seem to encounter difficulties in carrying the empty cans and bottles back to the shop!

Anyhow, nobody said it would solve climate change and im guessing thatbyou know that. It is one of many steps that we need to take to reduce our damaging footprint.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It would be greener not to buy the bottle or can in the first place.

This is particularly true for bottled water. Why is it necessary to buy bottled water? Most homes in Ireland have a perfectly good supply of good drinking water at home. Carbonated caffein drinks are a replacement for tea and coffee.

If we want to get carbon emissions down to pre-industrial levels - two hundred years ago - then it might be an idea to adopt some of the lifestyle choices of the time. Home cooking and less travel might be the kind of thing we might try. I am not suggesting all of them as that would be unnecessarily unpleasant and uncomfortable, and smack of dreadful poverty. However, we could each do more of the less consumption..

In fact less might be a key aspect of our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

’soft left’ floating voters are notoriously fickle an have virtually the entire political menu to choose from, depending on how specifically they define their political position. Pretty much inevitable that labour/soc dems/greens will take a hammering at the polls after a spell in government.

Oh I'm not disputing that if we use less plastic then we need to recycle less. However, this habit some have of describing their ordeal of having to carry some empty bottles back to a shop is pathetic especially when it is really just a cheap political dig

They may be fickle, but shooting yourself in both feet is not going to encourage them to stay with you either.

• Advertisement

If it's such an ordeal, they can also continue to use the green bins and forfeit their deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Thought it wouldnt be recycled if we did that. Was a no no. It called a recycling bin. Maybe you never had one. Whats next paper cartons. Will we setup our own recycleing centres at home too. Hauling around rubbish in the back of the car smelling like a refuse lorry. Maybe food waste as well.

Ya can charge a deposit by weight or something. Return our waste or excess to get deposit

Dairy cartons and canned food empties still go in there, from a recycling perspective, I'm not sure if anything is changed other than the deposit forfeit for those who can't face the ordeal of a deposit return scheme.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The deposit is forfeit if the can or bottle is crushed or damaged. Ironic because the can or bottle is crushed in the machine.

The aluminium cans go in one bin, the plastic bottles go in another. So nice clean material for recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You couldn't drink the water that has been coming from my tap for the last few months, pure smelly brown stuff. I even bought a water filterer but even putting it through that I still wouldn't drink it. I have resorted to getting water from a well about 2 miles away and filtering that.

Sorry for your troubles.

Are you on the public supply from Irish Water? If not then you are the exception. Water schemes sometimes have problems, but the public supply is generally very good, but even then there are exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Public supply. They say they are looking into it anytime I ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,881 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes. But you brought up the EP election, which is irrelevant as the EP had already passed this legislation last year.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Deposit return scheme was deliberately set up the way it discourage return. To keep cans and bottles in pristine condition for code to be read is a nuisance nevermind that some needs to be reinserted several times anyway.

The way it is set up is complete BS counting on a lot of people not getting deposit back so company running it can be profitable. It simply does not add up. The amount of cans and bottles sold every day vs amount of machines installed and time needed to put returnables in. Most of them not available 24/7 and quite alot of them not working at any given time.

The E.U. parliament passing that bill was the irrelevance in that it didn`t become law unless it recieved the majority support of the member states at council level. It was withdraw from the council agenda in March because it was not going to getting the support required. Ryan and Noonan knew after the hammering the greens got in the E.U. elections there would be even less support from member states under a new council so tried to get it passed with the old council.

It was passed because the Austrian green party quisling voted against the explicit wishes of her own citizens where Austria are now going to the ECJ to have it overturned. A discraceful disregard for the democratic process by greens and especially by Ryan and Noonan the two instigators. The E.U. for all their supposed checks and balances were no better. The chair of the council was also explicitly told by the Austrian Chancellor that his country did not support the motion, yet still went ahead and excepted a vote that he knew was against their wishes. But then he is a green himself, a member of the Belgian Ecolo party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

@charlie14 "It was passed because the Austrian green party quisling voted against the explicit wishes of her own citizens where Austria are now going to the ECJ to have it overturned. A discraceful disregard for the democratic process by greens and especially by Ryan and Noonan the two instigators. The E.U. for all their supposed checks and balances were no better. The chair of the council was also explicitly told by the Austrian Chancellor that his country did not support the motion, yet still went ahead and excepted a vote that he knew was against their wishes. But then he is a green himself, a member of the Belgian Ecolo party."

So nothing to do with the EU Parliamentary elections then?

This is purely a matter for Austria federal government coalition. Gewessler was the authorised minister to vote on this law. If the Austrian chancellor had a difficulty with this then he should have dissolved the coalition, something he has not done. This is all clearly internal Austrian national politics but absolutely nothing to do with the EU parliament elections.

It`s do do with green politicians who spout about votes for the right being a danger to democracy happy to trample all over it if it will get them their way. If anything they are worse than their paint throwing tyre slashing "warriors"

Gewessler of the Austrian greens was explicitly told by the Austrian Chancellor Nehammer that Austria was not in favour of the motion, and for her to vote for it would be illegal. So no she was not authorised to vote in favour.

He also told the Belgian chair of the E.U. Council that she was not authorised to do so by Austria. Not only did she go against her own governments wishes, but her vote was accepted by the Chair of the Council, Alain Maron of the Belgian green Ecolo Party. Maron had earlier sidelined the proposal because he saw it was not going to get the approval required but due to our two greens of Ryan and Noonan it was back on the table hoping to sneak it through between the death of the old parliament and beginning of the new one.

Shoddy and reprehensible from all four greens.

As to Austria collapsing their government and calling an election. Austria is due to have an election in two months time in September. In the meantime their Chancellor Nehammer has said Gewessler`s act was "Blatant misconduct" and "That now would be the end of cooperation in this Government" which will only implement important projects as far as is still possible with this coalition partner" and that Austria will take a case to the European Court of Justice to have Gewessler`s vote nullified. Last week the EEP, the party at the helm of the Austrian government sent a legal document to their public prosecuter on why they believe Gewessler should be prosecuted for "knowingly misusing her authority" an offence that carries up to a ten year jail term.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,900 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No matter what way you spin that, it is an internal Austrian issue, and whether or not she acted illegally is down to the Austrian authorities. Stretching it to have a go at Eamon Ryan is bizarre.

Democracy isn't democratic when you don't get the result you want… Uhuh.

Ridiculous that you say an EP vote is irrelevant, it's a directly elected parliament and all legislation must be approved by the EP, that's not the only step in the process but it's a necessary one.

The fact we've just had an EP election is entirely irrelevant, the EP voted in favour of the legislation a year ago.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory 🙄

The company that runs it is a non-profit body. Any retained deposits just reduce the levy the manufacturers are required to pay to operate the scheme.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

Absolutely none of this is relevant to the discussion at hand.

It's an Austrian Issue for the Austrians to resolve - Whoever is chosen to replace Eamon Ryan won't be involved , so move on please.

Fair enough. Hopefully whoever replaces him has more respect for the democratic process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

Everything Eamonn Ryan did in his political career shows complete and utter respect for democracy.

Perhaps you should start a thread on crisis in the Austrian government instead of clogging up this one.

In light of a mods post I can only assume you are attempting to bait me to have me thread banned. Sorry but I`m not going to play. Not in a thread where greens are treated as an endangered species that require protection.

• Advertisement

Mod: stop trying to steer the conversation and complaining when it doesn't go your way!

Advertisement