Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I'm hoping Boyle kicks on massively if Milne's scrummaging continues to be sub-par. Healy might be needed at tighthead, so one of the looseheads behind Porter stepping up would be welcome. If Boyle plays a few games early in the season, then goes on the EI tour, and then maybe gets put in against Munster in the away Dec fixture maybe he'll be more seasoned come 2025.

Fingers crossed Bleyendaal's influence causes an uptick in the attacking play, but I'm sceptical at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I was frustrated with how poorly we dealt with short kicks this season. We need to gameplan our own system's deficiencies better

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's an inevitable weakness from such an aggressive rush. I think you can cover it better with exceptionally pacey wingers, which we just don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think if fitness is good, you have a great chance of doing the double.

I think the defensive system will be less easy to exploit with more practice and maybe select more for athleticism on the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭conquestscarer

I thought Boyle was excellent this season. He was part of the poor game against Glasgow but none of the penalties came from his side of the scrum. He was playing well and then didn't make an appearance for half a season. I'm disappointed with his management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Nonsense, just look at the team sheets in the losses. Jack White has said that Leinster B were the 2nd best team in the league. The league may be harder and this schedule was tough but no depth player really excelled this year. Our structures are easy to read. Our defense is easily exposed out wide. Hopefully, all this gets settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

IIt Isn't nonsense and as I said the league is harder. It's nowhere near as easy for leinsters players down the depth chart to win the games they used to in seasons past. Saying no depth player excelled is not true at all but it's far harder for the leinster teams without the top players than in previous seasons. If the structures patterns etc were so easy to read then leinster wouldn't be making latter stages of competitions/winning overwhelming majority of games they play each season. The defence isn't easily exposed out wide. Care to give any examples of that with clips of this being such a major issue.

Leinster have the bulk of the national squad. To say that it's an achievement to get to the latter stages of tourneys is absurd. They should be expected to make these fixtures. There's no real way of defending the team. They were abjectly poor this year. As a Leinster supporter, the season blew. Almost men again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Personally, I don't think Leinster's shadow side not being as successful has much at all to do with the league being supposedly stronger. The SA franchises were good in URC I and URC II too. Leinster topped the table in 2022 and 2023 by 11 and 6 points respectively. Lancaster had a unique ability to get the team performing even if the first choice players were absent and it was a completely different selection compared to the previous week. Other coaches don't have that trait, so if there's chopping and changing in selection and internationals are absent they will look disjointed and will need a run of games to start performing well.

Who Said it was an achievement to get to latter stages of competition. I didn't.

Of course if you look at things any bit sensibly you can defend leinster and the "almost men again" comment from you is pathetic.

Care to show through clips or give examples of how leinster were or are so easy to read as you claimed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We have TOB for about 3 games a season but that's about it.

The games in Jo'burg this season versus last is the most glaring example. A gutsy performance from a C team following the core philosophy of the Lancaster era to a pitiful showing by a similar selection of players who looked like they had no idea what they were at, getting sliced apart repeatedly.

At least the narrative is changing now from Leinster being able to rest their whole international XV and coast through the league with a shadow squad.

The last two years Toulouse were coming up short fighting on two fronts. This year they've topped the league and won Europe. They haven't had a big change in personnel but they've been playing better, more successful, more attractive rugby, selecting the right players for the right games and, most importantly, adapting their game plan when required based on their opponents.

Leinster, in contrast, have been playing ugly rugby, making poor selection decisions, hamstringing themselves with a lower league position and being very predictable at times (Ulster in the RDS) and crucially unable to adapt on the fly.

I don't have video evidence of everything but we all saw the games this year.

You at least give examples I'm just annoyed at dubinusa using phrases like almost men again, **** the bed etc etc without ever once using an example from a game in.a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I think this is how most teams gain territory against Leinster last yeae

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭conquestscarer

I agree, our depth players had poor seasons bar Deegan, who consistently performed at a high level. Osborne pushed himself into the first team and no one replaced him as a difference maker on the 2nds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This sounds harsh on first reading but - it's probably right.

Leinster are absolutely one of the best teams in knockout rugby… until it gets tight.

In the last three seasons, our record in knockouts across both tournaments is played 18 (counting the two-leg Connacht tie as one match), won 12, lost 6, points difference a frankly staggering +276.

In the six games we’ve lost, they have all been one-score matches except the last Euro final and even that needed extra time to separate us. Three of the six were one-point losses. I actually don't want to count how many of them we were leading going into the final minutes.

Conversely, the only time we've won in a knockout by a one-score margin was the Northampton game this year, and that was a lot nervier than it should have been, we were blowing them away and then we just… stopped.

For me, it keeps coming back to on-field leadership. We can hammer absolutely anyone in Europe, but if we don't, there doesn't seem to be an ability to change tack and if we get into trouble, we just press the self-destruct button, and that is consistent across both the Lancaster and Nienaber eras.

Whatever we do about playing style, defensive system, etc next year, we have to tackle this. I would kill for a Heaslip, Nacewa or Fardy character but I don't really see one in this group. Even Sexton, for all his leadership qualities, was much too prone to brainfarts when under pressure (CC final 2022 being the prime example).

Maybe we need Cullen to channel his inner Rassie and terrorise the players into being too scared to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It is an achievement by the way, if it was easy then every team would be doing it

Plenty of teams around Europe are full of international players, the difference with Leinster is they are home grown and come up via the academy. The French club teams are an array of World Stars and home grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Lowe,JGP,alaalatoa,Jenkins, and I’m sure there’s more that’s not home grown!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭VayNiice

That's 4 out of a whole squad and Jenkins and alaalatoa are both bench players

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Henshaw too but regardless it’s hardly a number worth mentioning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It is an achievement by the way, if it was easy then every team would be doing it

Loathe to get into this, but I think this is too simplistic. Different teams have different calibre of players, and therefore different expectations.

Thanks for pointing that out, still doesn't change the point which was reaching the finals and latter stages is an achievement

Not sure why you felt the need to post that in first place.

Lol. They are indefensible. For the talent available, the results are poor. There's no getting around this fact.

As far as evidence/clips etc. rewatch some of the fixtures. Northampton/2nd half, Lions, Stormers...

Don't take it personal. It's a view. Nothing more. Seriously, it's akin to the international team. Very much underachievers. That's my view.

Reply to l/o

They hammered Northampton in first half, should have scored more, watching half a game doesn't really give a proper view does it.

Lions/Stormers was poor results but not clsoe to main team, they should have and would have predicted to win the Lions game is my thoughts

The Bulls game was a mess and poor tactics.

The other games this year would be the two Ulster games when poor tactics and poor decisions meant they lost both and winning either meant they wouldnt have to go away in semi

Apart from that did they lose to Glasgow and that was it? the Glasgow game was always going to be a loss away with the Scottish players back for Glasgow

What other games?

I get what you're saying and most teams would kill for this record. But, for the squad available, I think it's a poor return.

Reply to clo clo

Like a podium finish in a Red Bull F1 car.

Henshaw moved in 2016, he is 8 years now playing with Leinster

Max he was playing maybe 6 years in Connacht

Been cheeky you could say he is a Leinster player at this stage 😂

Before Connacht fans get upset it is only a little joke

• Advertisement

But Leinster is not the only international squads in Europe. Plenty of teams are stacked with international players and haven't got close to what leinster have

So just saying it's not an achievement is nonsense, plus it is why so many overseas fans say Leinster fans are big headed. It is not automatic that Leinster win majority of games every season and should be in finals.

Advertisement