Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete drinkers.

• 05-04-2021 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Putting in some drinkers fed with 32mm or some 3/4 pipe. Think 40 gallon should do me. Are there any that stand out above others.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭I says

Murphys

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Have few spillanes here well made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

+1 for Spillane's. They supply all the tirlans and terra water trough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Yep another vote for Spillane's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Same vote for Spillanes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

What makes Spillanes stand out from the rest? I have 4 or 5 to get so genuinely interested. Mainly Murphy’s you’d see around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have Murphy's They are a grand trough. They come with ballcock and a stopcock fitting which is worth 15-20 euro.

I got the 70/80 gallon ( not sure which they were rated) as they were only about 30ish/trough more expensive than the 40 gallon after vat reclaimed. I bought four from Kerry co-op they delivered them.

Make sure what ever trough you get that the bung hole is not in the floor, side much better to drain and clean trough.

One advantage with Murphy is the rounding on the edges will push ice up out of the trough. Not but even during the big freeze (2009/10) I never saw a concrete trough damaged. Not sure who made the previous ones I bought. Concrete troughs are hard to beat no getting pulled all over the place if they are empty

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Build quality ,two brothers set up one does the making and the other the selling apparently go and see them there in a lot of the coop stores yards

I see nothing wrong with the build quality of the Murphy's. Admittedly they have no central spine walls and use a cover to protect the ball cock as opposed to the spine walls. However the area between the spine walls was a dirt collector and virtually impossible to clean out

The finish on the Murphy's is excellent. Other than that they will all have a steel mesh frame so I cannot see any difference in build quality than the spine walls which are dirt collectors.

I see a lot of dairy lads moving over to Murphys I say because of the ease of cleaning. The bung pushes into the tank as well. Battery power washer will bring a lot of the muck.out of the bottom

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ak84

I put the Murphy drinkers in a couple of years ago. Happy with them.

I sat them down perfectly level.

However there was always a bit of water lying in them when not used as the drain hole is 5-10 mm above floor.

This leads to scum building up when not used, so this year I raised them on the other side just enough so most of the water drains away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭limo_100

have to add a few new drinkers to the farm for sucklers and dry stock I can get both Spillane and Murphy drinkers locally. What do people opinion on which is the better drinker or is it much the same ? Also what size would I need need. With sucklers and dry stock would 70-75 gals be ok or would I be better with the 150gals drinkers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cionn80

I have Murphy 70 gal drinkers in a few years for the sucklers and dry stock. No issues with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

that’s interesting re the drain hole. I’d much prefer to have it in the bottom as a lot easier to clean than if in the side?????

And your happy with the size no regrets not going 150 Gal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Mr..

If you have bad water pressure id go with the bigger drinkers.

Actually have good water pressure Think I would be ok with the 70 gal but don't want to buy and regret buy will have to buys loads over the coming years so, suppose 70 gal has an advantage in that smaller calves can reach into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Bazzer007

I bought a 1,000 litre jfc plastic trough and two 350 gallon murphy concrete troughs. Was advised to put a base a stone base down due to size. Would concrete sleepers do the job instead? Fair hassle putting down a base. 70 gallon works fine without a base on sleepers but not as heavy obviously.

no regrets, looked at the 150’s as well but they are too big for me. As you say they are good for calves also

what kind of base did you put down for them or just put them on the ground?

put a gravel base underneath them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

A few concrete Murphys ones here. I think they are 300 Gallon. Actually handier to drain them on the side as you just push the bung in from the outside.

Have a couple of bigger JFC plastic round ones. They don't seem to empty them so they haven't been pulled around the place as of yet anyway!

Got Spillane concrete troughs for the new ace. 70 gallons. Again the bung is on the side as opposed to the bottom. Tgey have a concrete top that the ballcock fitting goes on. Similar to Murphys no central barrier. I leveled them using bits of concrete blo as and slate. Got them out of a Kerry group store for 148 each inc vat. They dropped them directly to the farm.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement