Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PJ - Marlay Park - Sat 22 June 24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

One thing that's been bothering my missus since last night...

I nearly tripped over some loon kneeling on the ground, who I presumed was tying his laces, as everyone was moving towards the exit. Turns out, he was proposing. Does anyone know if she said yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Hoboo

She said no and be went off and battered a PA guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,257 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good to hear about the Gold Circle been large

Is it the same setup for all shows?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-41421820.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Had a great time! Thanks to my bro for cajoling me into going 😊 hearing so many of the old classics was unexpected, but very much appreciated. Little hoarse today, but the three beers I had to drink fast at the end because I couldn't find the intended recipients may have helped with that. Sold the 4th one for a tenner to a very happy guy. Great crowd and a speedy recovery to the PA guy. Always nice to see the Gardai hammering c×nt's who really ask for it. Roll on LCD Soundsystem 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Savage gig, my first time seeing them. Loads of songs off Ten which was great.

Hope the PA guy is ok, was fairly wild the whole incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Fantastic show from Pearl Jam. Hard to beat that kind of setlist, especially given there was always going to be a few songs from the new album, which is great by the way. Sometimes it's only when you hear songs being played live that you realise just how good a band is. If I was being really nitpicky I'd like to have heard another deep cut or two. Something like Red Mosquito or Dissident. But it was great to hear songs like Wishlist and Corduroy.

I'm not really into what a band's politics are but fair play to Eddie Vedder, he's informed about things and you know it's coming from the heart. And what a lovely gesture to dedicate Black to the young Dublin girl who died suddenly last week. You'd hope the family heard about the dedication and got some kind of solace from it.

I have to say I was enraged to read about the PA guy being attacked. I hope he's ok. If anyone knows him and is reading this maybe they could let us know how he is? Hard to believe someone would do something like that when people are on such a high from what was a great gig. The scumbag who did it deserves to be in a world of pain today. Hopefully he's charged so he can be named and shamed.

As for Marlay Park, it's an awful place to get to and from if you're relying on public transport. The beer queues were laughably bad, it just doesn't seem to be well run. I won't be hurrying back. But Pearl Jam were worth it. They are legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Did you manage to grab any of Mikes Thin Lizzy tee?
    As if I wasn't already a big fan of his, he whipped out a great version of Eruption in the Thin Lizzy tee shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Arequipa

I saw that guy climb the scaffolding and attack the steward announcer guy... what a pr**k... as others said it took a lot of people to subdue him...

i hope he got a fair few digs and is very sore today...

i was thinking if this was France / Italy or even the US.... he would've been 'subdued' a lot quicker..

on a more positive note... i was chatting to a girl from Chicago who has seen PJ many times and is going to the London gig.. she was telling me Ed's jersey is an NFL jersey of Walter Payton... a legendary player for the Bears, nicknamed 'Sweetness'... he retired and did. a lot of good for others throughout his life begore dieing in 1999...

she said Jeff's jersey 33... was something to do with their albums?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Great set and personally I'm at a stage now with the band I'll take whatever the set is, as long as the band are in good spirits. Loved Stone's backup singing at the end of Betterman as he was smiling a lot. I could be wrong but I think McCready wore two Thin Lizzy shirts. Jailbreak for the main set, and then Black Rose during the encore.

I don't know anything about The Murder Capital but they seemed decent.

I have to say Richard Ashcroft was a delight as his (greatest hits) set, hit that late 90's nostalgia button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭nicolaf45

literally said the same to my husband last night, he hasnt aged a day alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Anyone know what the song was Eddie Vedder sang after he talked about Shane McGowan and Sinead O Connor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

Sorry for jumping in here as going to the Green Day gig this week & only realised that you have to pre-book the parking and its all booked out. Did anyone try to drive up and pay at the gate? Or is there anywhere within a 30 minute walk that I could park in? I had a look at the Marathon Bus service and its last bus leaves Dundrum at 6.30pm, I may not get out of work on time to make that bus.

Happy to walk 30 minutes and pay for parking - but don't wanna be driving around aimlessly

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭redved

I parked in the housing estate just up from Wesley college. About a 20 min walk to the gig. It was the last left before the smaller roundabout as you come off the M50

Well spotted! Yeah they changed shirts when they went off just before the encore

If you're ever stuck setlist (dot) fm is usually on the ball
    We got 7 tracks off Ten, not bad!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/2024/marlay-park-dublin-ireland-5baba798.html

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭ergo

Wow, what a show,  still buzzing after it - can't wait for the bootleg to surface 

Hearing "Release" to open and just thought we could be in for a really great setlist .  5 songs in and I thought maybe they'd ripped up the script and decided to play a greatest hits set!

Then the new stuff came -  I have to say the new material sounded great live and it's a strong album, been getting into it in the past month or so, and many new songs seemed well received.

Highlight was "Black" for me, never heard a bad version of it tbh but it was powerful, especially  after the dedication, and seemed like great crowd involvement.

Eddie's voice sounded perfect too, was wondering how it might be now with none of us getting any younger!
    It's tantalising alright to see the extra song they would've played if they had time but nevermind - hey, as the last poster said, we got 7 tracks off Ten 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Wonder what the game plan from Pearl Jam will be for Europe after this tour. Would hope they come back soon and include Ireland in whatever their plans are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I was surprised how packed the venue was considering it wasn't sold out. Seemed much more crowded than at Weezer/Green Day a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If you are happy enough with that kind of walk then I'd try my luck at nutgrove shopping centre. Either that or look at templeroan or Boden park housing estates.. should be a good bit of space around both on the street.

You have absolutely no chance of just driving up and trying to pay at the gate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I only got a ticket on Friday and drove arriving at 7. Picked an estate nearby and being a solo driver turned in like I lived there. Steward just waved and I was scanning my ticket by 7.10. At exit time the roads are closed, but they just pull back the barriers for anybody leaving. Confidence will get you far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Worst comes to worst, Dundrum shopping centre is less than a 30 minute walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Re. Gold circle.
    I was beckoned in by one of the guys on the wristband check just as PJ were coming on stage to go into the (semi) circle… then lots more walked in - this was at the left side of stage.

There was no way you could see the band due to its position at the top of the slope , if you werent at the barrier - we moved to the side and you could see the band, but you would be a good bit back.
    the view in the circle was excellent.

The Q to get out was a bit stupid, took 25 mins to get out on the Grange rd exit ….

€15 for most of the food , 7.50 for a pint, the toilet to the left of stage was a nightmare.

PJ (not harvey) were on fire…What a gig…. Ed was a bit emotional at the crowd response ?

So different to their previous Euro leg opening gigs of previous year when they were a bit subdued …

My first PJ gig for my son, as i handed him my Slane 93 t shirt to wear….

What a night! …. "We wont leave it so long next time" …

Honourable mention to Rich Ashcroft - great set, great songs, great band with him … What a version of "drugs dont work" !!

Murder Capital - all songs were a bit 'samey' … meh.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

The lad up high on the platform on the left was a PITA, kept repeating his spiel every 5 seconds.

Fella on the right further out was a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kd82

Cracking gig, really good vibe. The opening of Release/Low Light… set the tone for a great night. Loved the visuals on Evolution and bonus Alive/Rockin was the icing on the cake at the end. I find Marlay a pox of a venue so drove up, parked nearby and was an easy in/out after. Home for 12 in Meath. The weather played ball, crowd was up for it, magic magic night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭gucci

Great gig. I'm currently at a one "big" show per year stage of my life, so was so happy to cash in my credits for Pearl Jam and it was a hell of a show.

As with everything, the weather in Ireland makes such a difference. Having a beer in the sun waiting on a show is one of life's simple pleasures and you could see that on many happy faces Saturday.

Loved the show (staging was poor that you couldn't see the actual band, bizarre set up) but sound was excellent, so that's important thing. Great set too, the new songs sounded great so there wasn't any down time. It was my 3rd time seening Pearl Jam and definitely won't be my last. They are great performers.

Just a very very enjoyable day all around.

Advertisement