Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I've read it. You continue to ignore all extremely well-known understanding of induced demand with road construction.

The new CAP did not appear out of the ether as was well documented above.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

I never said it did. As Seth pointed out above it did go through the consultation progress, but went through a lot faster than most policies, and became full legal barely a month before the due date for the announcement of the planning permission… maybe you can explain to us the why the Green Party felt CAP 2019 needed to be replaced so fast?

As To your assumption of me ignoring the "extremliy well known understanding of induced demand of road cinrtuction"..... well the way I see it, the traffic is using the roads anyway. Now routing it all through towns and cities means a lot of idling engines spewing out CO2 and other harmful gasses, but going nowhere. Now, as to the likes of bypasses and motorways inducing traffic,....well that is the idea of them, now isn't it. They are meant to induce the traffic that has no reason to be in a town or city and route it around so that it does not obstruct the traffic that has to be there. I know I use the example of Limerick and Ennis a lot, but then I live between them and have plenty reason to be in those locations, or go beyond them to further destinations. No more waiting in traffic with engines running, wasting fuel and going nowhere. And in case you think the bypassed roads are full of traffic.....no, the old sections of the main Cork to Galway route that are now bypassed are pretty empty and reduced to the status of local roads at 80kph, the nose to tail traffic that once used them, now uses the motorway and bypasses and moving freely at farmore efficient speeds.

Post edited by theValheru853 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

I live in such a town, Carrick on Shannon, and yes it's free flowing for well over 95% of the time.

Not actually how it works. Each vehicle has an optimum speed. Its where the engines optimum speed and the gearbox and all the gearing come together to give the best fuel efficiency. Even the size of the vehicles wheels and tyre pressures contribute to it. As I have already said, this is what Nissan's e-power system is based on. An engine and gearing system that runs at only one speed, Its optimum one, to turn a generator to charge a battery to power a motor which moves the vehicle.

First gear in slow moving or stopped traffic with the engine idling is not that optimum point where fuel efficiency is at its highest. The higher the MPG the lower the amount of CO2 emitted into the atmosphere for the distance travelled, or if you prefer to look at it another way, think about this. E10 petrol creates 2.1 kg of CO2 for every litre burned, which works out at about 10Kg per gallon. If you look at it as miles per 10 kg CO2 emitted, you will see what I mean.

In very few towns can you travel at 30 MPH, and that is not because the speed limit is lower. It is because of traffic holding things up. Traffic like trucks, vans and cars whose only business in that town is to get through it. Charleville in Cork and Athy in Kildare are perfect examples of this, and the only towns I know I can even get close to travelling at 30MPH are those that have been bypassed, and even at that it is a lower gear than top gear to prevent the engine labouring.

Even Limerick and Ennis before the tunnel and motorway were complete nightmares to get though, often taking an hour.

But as another poster pointed out previously, in 11 years time the emissions argument will be a moot point as the sale of fossil fuel burning cars will be banned and they will eventually go the way of the steam engine. I wonder what will happen to the Green Party Chair persons argument then if the bypass was resubmitted along the same route then. Fuel economy is a major reason to bypass a town. Next time, look at your own fuel economy gage and see what it does.

Post edited by theValheru853 on

Only one example out of thoussnds of Irish towns. Sorry, but with a population of under 5000,I'm afraid that it is an exception to the rule. The majority unbypassed towns and cities are a complete nightmare to get through.

• Advertisement

The principles I outlined are universally applicable. What you are trying to convince us of goes against everything that has been analysed by experts in this field. You want us to believe that only bypasses can save energy which is simply untrue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There's no way in hell a vehicle will average 30mph through a town, except in very unusual circumstances. That'd presume no stopping or slowing, driving permanently at the speed limit.

Certainly not a town big enough to be bypassed, which was the context.

Only when a vehicle is stopped will it not be using less fuel than it does cruising at 70mph on a bypass. Slow moving vehicles simply use less fuel than fast moving vehicles.

The premise here been promoted is that bypasses save fuel - the evidence simply doesn't support this claim.

I am in favour of some bypasses for entirely other reasons but it's in no way an environmentally based reason to build bypasses.

This whole tangent is a complete red herring to a discussion of global warming and only started as yet another excuse to bash green politicians. It's frankly pathetic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's acceleration and deceleration where cars are at their least efficient. stopping and starting is death to fuel efficiency; the differences in economy between a steady speed of 50km/h vs 100km/h pale compared to stop start traffic.

it's only when the engine is shut off when a car is stopped that it's using 'less' fuel than one doing 70.

there's a reason my car displays at litres consumed per 100km when moving, and litres per hour while stationary.

when stopped, the litres per 100km is infinite!

Post edited by magicbastarder on

The reality is that only in Rush hour is city traffic in constant start stop, for the rest of the day traffic is moving slowly at a relatively constant speed.

Also bypasses are far from immune to start stop traffic jams at rush hour

• Advertisement

it's not quite 9am on a saturday and the roads are quiet in dublin.

the time google maps (which is based on real time info) is calculating to drive from DCU to UCD, is 27 minutes; and that's less than 12km, so it's an average of 26km/h. on roads which are 90% either 50 to 60km/h; only a small section is 30km/h

you were talking about cars driving through towns and cities at 50km/h; as i stated, that's not possible.

for the rest of the day traffic is moving slowly at a relatively constant speed.

uh, traffic lights? junctions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

Any claims that stop start traffic is more efficient than a bypass are just fantasy.

But so is religion.

Sorryy to disappoint you, but it is very true. Your MPG rises if you can keep a contant speed in top gear. You can not do that in urban areas, where even in the clearest of towns, you still have traffic lights and pedestrian crossings and various other reasons to stop and start. As I have said to others just look at your own car and do the maths. I have. My Job over the last 31 years has. The simple fact of the matter is a vehicle travelling at constant speed in top gear is when it is at it's most efficient. In the majority of unbypassed towns in Ireland, such as Athy in Kildare or Charleville in Cork, or Galway city, you would be lucky to get out of 3rd gear even at the quietest times.

The only way for the traffic in towns and cities can increase MPG is to get ghe traffic that does not need to be there out, which is the traffic that is only passing through, and for that you need a bypass.

By the way, you omitted to mention in your example of Carrick-on-Shannon that the N4 bypasses it, and you are claiming its streets are clear. I wonder why that is and how Carrick-on-Shannon would be traffic-wise if not for the bypass road.

So the Galway CC were lying when they calculated that fuel consumption would increase if the bypass was built.

Forgive me if I take their expertise over your hunches.

Do you have a link to their statement or calculations?

I think you have completely misunderstood their calculation. Individual fuel consumption will likely fall, but as with all road building the overall level of traffic will increase.

Provide a link to their text asserting your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

The CO2 emissions from cars is a good thing. It helps to green the planet which is to be welcomed.

Higher CO2 levels also make plants (at least C3 ones) more drought tolerant, thus reducing desertification in drier areas.

well, that's an interesting take on climate change.

I don't know what they were doing, but I'll use my own expertise over theirs..

• Advertisement

And where does this traffic come from but from the roads and towns that have been bypassed. There is no extra traffic. Those vehicles would be there any way spewing exhaust fumes, stopped in a town. Only difference is instead of being stuck in towns idling, they are getting closer to their destination on a bypass.

https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/

https://www.planetizen.com/definition/induced-demand#:~:text=The%20theory%20of%20induced%20demand,added%20lanes%20have%20reduced%20congestion.

https://nacto.org/docs/usdg/induced_traffic_and_induced_demand_lee.pdf

The extra vehicles would not "be there anyway". This is a very well understood phenomenon.

There are cases where it is nonetheless worthwhile (I would include the M20 and potentially the Galway bypass in that) but it absolutely, categorically will not reduce emissions.

I would include all bypasses in it . I travel both roads regularly. In fact I have travelled the M20/N20 for over 30 years and the only increase I see in volume of traffic is basically in line with the country's population growth. What I have also seen is how much more freely it moves for every one, when what does not need to be in a town or city, is not stuck in towns and cities, but you should see what happens when you get to Charleville when going Southbound and just after New Two Pot House going Northbound.

I'll read your links, but as I said the only traffic induced onto bypasses is what have been taken out of the bypassed areas. For instance, the old N18 between Shannon and Ennis is now classed as a regional road, the R458. and with the exception of the local traffic, there is nothing on it. So where is all that traffic? It is all on the M18 travelling from point A to B, for whatever reason. But if the motorway was not there, that traffic would still need to get from point A to B, whatever the reason, but they would need to travel through every town and village on the route and be burning fuel while waiting in those town and villages.

I'll read your links, but as I said the only traffic induced onto bypasses is what have been taken out of the bypassed areas.

And it will be replaced by local traffic or those who consider that route now quicker. There is a reason traffic in Dublin is as bad as ever, including huge numbers of through traffic, despite a three lane ringroad motorway existing.

Traffic volumes are not inelastic.

This is not a stone cold argument against the ringroad. But it won't reduce emissions so there is no point arguing for it from that perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Definstely a bit of "Global Warming" here in Ireland for the last couple of days, and long may it last 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's the take of the founding president of Greenpeace, who is a biologist. Patrick Moore, who quit Greenpeace because the loons hijacked the boat and rejected reason and science.

Since leaving Greenpeace in 1986, Moore has criticized the environmental movement for what he sees as scare tactics
    and disinformation, saying that the environmental movement "abandoned science and logic in favor of emotion and sensationalism".

CO2 is the source of all the Oxygen animals and insects breathe. The reason there is 20% O2 in the atmosphere and only 0.04% CO2 is because plants over time have taken all that C and put it to good use, while getting rid of the useless O2. O2 is plant excrement.

CO2 is present in the atmosphere in absolutely tiny quantities - 0.04%. It's almost a trace gas. Without sufficient CO2 in the atmosphere for plants to conduct photosynthesis there would be no life on Earth. It's far more important there be CO2 in the atmosphere than oxygen in terms of there being life on Earth. You can take away all the oxygen and all the animals and insects die, but the plants would live on, but take away all the CO2 and all life dies.

The planet used to have vastly more atmospheric CO2 than it does today, and contrary to the runaway global warming bollocks being pushed by climate alarmists, the planet did not catastrophically overheat and become venus when there was 5000 ppm - 0.5% - of CO2 in the atmosphere. Our current ~492 ppm of CO2 is extremely low historically, even though the climate alarmists claim it's too high.

Over time, plants have hoovered up most of the CO2 and spat out O2 in the process. All that C has been sequesterd in rocks hydroCARBON deposits, methane hydrates and other carbon sinks. The plants nearly gorged themselves to extinction, consuming almost all of their food supply. Luckilly bacteria exist and have saved their arses by digesting dead plants and releasing some CO2 back into the air.

There is barely enough CO2 in the atmosphere to allow plants to live! During the previous interglacial period to the one we are living in, the CO2 levels reached such catastrophically low levels that at higher altitudes, where the amount of CO2 dropped due to general thinning of the atmosphere, all the plant life died.

And the poster who you are deriding, is correct - the rising levels of CO2 in the atmosphere are causing a surge in plant growth, which I am very glad to see. NASA have tracked and measured this general greening due to higher CO2 levels and slight warming:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

A US study detailing potential damage due to sealevel rise. Ireland should do similar.

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/looming-deadlines-coastal-resilience

"Replaced by local traffic who now consider that route now quicker" you claim. First of all, is that not the idea of a bypass, to keep the only traffic in a town to be the local traffic by allowing the non-local traffic to go around allowing the local traffic to move more freely and go about their business within the town instead of being stuck behind non-local traffic that had no reason to be there in the first place, except to get through the town.

Secondly, I've yet to see that happen in Ennis or Limerick. In fact even if you look at Shoog's example of Carrick-on-Shannon, where he omitted to mention there is a bypass road around the town on the N4, he made the same claim I made about Limerick, that rush hour was the only time there was congestion, and in Limerick's case even that is nowhere near as bad as it was in the pre tunnel days, same for Ennis.

Now, the only reason I can see for people not using the bypasses are the tolls. Even the motorway they are planning from Cork to Limerick is going to be tolled, but we need the people to use these bypasses, not avoid them so they move their vehicles at the optimal rate to reduce emissions, not avoid them. That goes for all types of vehicle, ICE, Hybrid and EV alike. But the subject of tolls is a different debate.

Well if Florida went under tomorrow that would reduce the federal pension bill by a good chunk.

I thought I was approaching a hill, but it turned out to be the garbage mountain outside Tampa.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FFS, you're still going on about the colossal waste that is the Galway Ring Road?

Ok then, remind us all what percentage of Galway's traffic is through traffic?

I'll give you a hint - it's not 2% and it's not 4%

Advertisement