Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

it does my head in the way presenters/analysts still don’t understand how VAR works after all this time. ‘They should have at least asked the ref to look at it’ is absolutely nonsense.

If VAR is unsure, then their job is to do nothing. It’s only if they believe the ref made a clear mistake that they ask the ref to look at the monitor to see if he agrees that a mistake was made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I'm glad Austria will very likely go through. A potential 3rd place team that can actually do something. I hope Croatia can get the win tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thought it was a pen. Armstrong gets in front of the defender - as he is perfectly entitled to do. The defender clearly fouls him - contact into the back of his left leg. Armstrong pulls his jersey on the way should not be an issue - the contact came first and it was a foul.

The contact made him go down, he didn't dive. Not sure on video replay how they can say it wasn't an error by the ref.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Update on Varga

"A statement from the Hungarian Football Federation read: “Barnabas Varga’s condition is stable. The Ferencvaros player is currently in one of the hospitals in Stuttgart. We will inform you immediately if there is any news about his status.”"

https://x.com/MLSZhivatalos/status/1804984911784284583

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Didi insisting black is white. “Did Armstrong not pull his shirt?” “No, how could he”…replay shown of him pulling his shirt and he still insists he didn’t 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hungary need to keep two groups in a situation where the 3rd place team only has 2 points.

These the only possibilities, remember two must happen.

Group B. Spain and Italy both to avoid defeat against Albania and Croatia.

Group C. England to beat Slovenia, and Denmark to avoid defeat against Serbia.

Group F. Portugal and Turkey both to avoid defeat against Georgia and Czech Rep.

An unlikely 5 goal defeat for Austria v Netherlands is an extreme outside shot for them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

I really hope England finish second now....just for the giggles

Is it also possible that with everyone on 3 points the 3rd team in Belgium's group could also go out instead of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Very good spot. Yeah, 2 lopsided wins could push the 3rd place below Hungary's minus 3 goal diff.

(It means they get to stay in Germany until Wednesday evening at the earliest)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That penalty claim has given Clarke his get out of jail card.

Scotland were abysmal tonight. And in the tournament generally. I honestly believe Clarke played for 3 draws. He is so dull.

An insult to the fans who made so much of an effort to get over to support them.

They didn't deserve to go through, end of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It was a clear penalty. Sometimes you need to make an absolute fuss to get it looked it, you need to demand it collectively , players, bench, only then will VAR think '' did we miss something here''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Way I saw it Hungarian fella put Armstrong off balance stood on foot. Then Armstrong grabbed the jersey as he was falling.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I hate that both games are on at the same time. Trying to keep an eye on one while watching the other is a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

The alternative is the possibility of a massive stitch up between two teams, like Germany/Austria is the 82 WC. There was such a stink about that that the final group games have been simultaneously played ever since.It’s the fairest way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

His comments about the referee afterwards were disgraceful.

He questioned why an Argentinian referee is allowed at the Euros.

I actually thought the referee had a very good match last night and got all the big decisions, including the penalty call, absolutely correct.

Clarke on the other hand was fcuking useless for the entire tournament.

Exactly.

Pitiful to watch in 2 full games, and average enough in another, but sure its always someone else's fault.

Easy get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf Scotlands tournament died when Porteous was sent off. There only hope ever for progression was to keep things tight and try to nick a winner.

His sending off completely tanked this as their goal difference then became a liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I think they had no chance once they decided to play with the slowest midfield and attack in tournament history. They have some ok ballers in midfield but they needed line speed from wing or attack. When they brought on Stuart Armstrong they had a bit of that but he fluffed his lines and played for a penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

yes. I couldn’t understand the clamour for a penalty there. It could have been given but it wasn’t the biggest most obvious error ever when the ref didn’t give it and there was enough doubt for VAR to not overturn the decision. Armstrong came back towards the Hungarian defender and they then both came together. If the ref gave it initially perhaps it would have stood, on balance it was maybe a penalty but Didi Hamann in the RTE studio was ridiculously attention seeking with his ott analysis, declaring it an outrageous decision to not award the pen, it wasn’t an obvious error at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Czechia will know what they need when they play Turkiyé anyway.

• Advertisement

Steve Clarke got the primary job done by getting Scotland qualified but when you get to a tournament the shackles should come off a bit and have a go and try to enjoy the tournament. Scotland didn’t start to have a go until injury time. Their big centre forward Dykes was out so why persist with a 3-5-2 type set up if you don’t have the players for that formation. Tierney was out as well but Clarke persisted with the 3 at the back. When Hungary who also needed to win just sat back and didn’t attack they didn’t know what to do. Ferguson has had a great season at Bologna was he fit? He left James Forrest sitting on the bench and put on Lewis Morgan at the end?

Post edited by TheCitizen on

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭US3

You don't call Spain Espanna or call Germany Duetchland so what's with this czechia and Türkiye craic I'm seeing lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Already been explained here a few times. Countries can submit a request to the UN for what they want to be called officially internationally. Czechia and Turkiyé have done that. Germany and Spain have not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Everyone saying Czechia always reminds me of being called The Eire. Gives me a giggle.

At least it's not like the 2018 World Cup when know it all's got in the habit of constantly butting in with "it's Cheelay not Chilli"

I reckon Espagna sounds better. Spain sounds drab in comparison and doesn’t fit with the country or it’s style in football.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Think of it as a positive, if something that trivial that has zero effect on your day to day life annoys you so much, you much have a pretty decent life.

I'd spell those Espana and Deutschland if I had to. Both the other countries have changed their names recently, and this is the first tournament since then, so its as easy be with the new as the old, and Czechia is faster than typing Czech Republic. The German team are Die Mannschaft in our house, although the Finbarr Saunders potential isn't lost on the non-German people.

Really looking forward to tonight's Croatia vs Italy game. I hope Croatia score first to make Italy play, although a point will do Italy. UEFA fans reckon Italy will be facing 3rd place but with a better GD than Hungary. The runners up here face Switzerland, and if third qualify its Portugal or maybe Belgium. I'm assuming Spain beat Albania, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭US3

Cheers lads. Didn't say it bothered me at all just wondered why people were naming them like that, id never seen it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm more bothered why a few players are referred to by their first names (not looking at you Trent) when most players are referred to by their surnames. Maybe it's practicality for those who don't want to type Alexander Arnold, in which case fair enough. But it reminds me of fanboys who refer to Musk as, 'Elon', as if they go out for a few pints with him at the weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Different cultures and languages have more leeway about names.

Off the top of my head: 'Ronaldo' isn't Cristiano's surname; it's his second name. His surname is Dos Santos.

Diogo Jota literally means Diogo J. The J stands for Jose and his surname is Teixeira.

Pele was a nickname, his actual name was Edison. Loads of Brazilians go by nicknames; that lad's parents didn't actually call him Hulk, his name's Givanildo.

Xavi is a first name; his surname's Hernandez.

Iirc, Memphis wanted to be known by his first name only because he doesn't have any relationship with his father.

And so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

think they meant being referred to their first names by people online or pundits, as it's not by what's on their shirts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Obnoxious Subway ad before kick-off. It's been played before. Pratt!

Double barreled names are the standard too. Jota's surname is Teixeira da Silva and it's Xavier Hernández Creus for Xavi.

Kaka was Ricardo Isakson dos Santos Leite and Kaka was just just a mispronunciation of Ricardo by his baby brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I can't believe the really sh1tty looking suits on the Italian coaching staff. Very un-Italian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Standard pretty good in the Italian match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

"The scoreline at the moment will certainly suit Italy more"

Yes Ray, a scoreline that'll put Italy through and eliminate Croatia probably does suit Italy moreso than Croatia alright.

So many teams are missing a target man, a classic striker in the old style.

The modern phenomenon on playing without a striker seems to have spread throughout football. So many teams don't have a target man now, it's all so lacking in the final third.

They are a dying breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

this will be a pen to croatia

The handball rule is such nonsense.

and modric misses

Ya, that's a penalty. But it is BS that you get a goal(potentially) from that. The penalty rule is such a farce.

and now modric scores

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

wow scenes

Modric missed the penalty but has his goal less than a minute later. 1-0 Croatia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ah no that was a penalty as he turned he clearly lifted his arm

Good save but defenders stood still for Modric to slot home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ah lads, that's Roy of the Rovers ( or dare I say Sky's Dream Team) type stuff.

Donnaruma going absolutely ape after it went in was funny too. He can rightly feel totally sickened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Albania can actually play some decent stuff when they get the chance, they're moving the ball around fairly sharply at times.

Happy to see Modric score after that missed pen. To see him distraught after the Albania game, you can see how much it means to him. I still don't see either Italy or Croatia getting very far.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement