Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I sense you're struggling with the behemoths this year, Woody. It's all doom and gloom. It shouldn't be such hard work, should it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The weather thread over on efests is a roller coaster. Think it's actually making me feel a little stressed. Yet I can't stop looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Beans_On

Actually had me thinking it could be an inside joke for all the efests lurkers!. It's insane the value they are putting into their daily reports and how it changes completely every 4 hours

Temperature chat is now the latest. Couldn't give a balls about the temperature really I'll be wearing shorts all day every day anyway and have a jumper in the bag. But would really, really prefer it wasn't a mud bath. ATN last year was tough with the muck.

Edit: and that's probably mild compared to what Glasto can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Yeah as an Irish visitor I've never given a hoot about the temp. Rain/mud all that matters. Seems we're going to get an abundance of both next week. A pisser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭rubick

Yeah for definite. ATN was grand compared to a muddy one at Glastonbury - I've only ever experienced 2016 in terms of mud grinds but there are veterans here that have been through worse.

Kind words buddy. Ignore me, just getting old.

97: After vintage sunny years in 94 and 95 this muddy sh1tfest caught the fest by surprise and is now firmly in the pantheon. Global images of people swimming in mud. The last time I didnt bring wellies to Glastonbury. Woke up on the Friday morning to upturned portaloos floating in lakes of muddy water. We left early.
    1/10.

04: Wellies for a part of the weekend but still tolerable/enjoyable. It rained a good bit and was chilly but would happily take this again next week. Take your hand off actually.
    7/10.

05: The Thursday night thunderstorm has to be the worst in the 20+ years i've been going. Levelled the site. Incredibly the sun came out for Brian Wilson on the Sunday but it was too little too late.
    3/10.

07: Amongst the worst. Pissed rain for most of the weekend. Mud around the Pyramid when The Who were on was 18 inches deep. Survived rather than enjoyed.
    2/10.

08: Im hopeful this is the analogy for next weekend. Was dull, grey, damp, cold but not too muddy. You could manage the weekend in hiking shoes.
    6/10.

09: Rained Thursday night and then again 20 mins after Blur finished. In between was for me just perfect. Warm, balmy, runners throughout.
    9/10.

10: Scorchio. Flawless weather for the weekend. If anything too hot at times. My only experience of a rainfree weekend.
    10/10.

11: GRIM. Coldest weekend of my 15 visits and the one i really hope is not replicated this weekend. Friday in particular was abysmal and yet the Sunday was unplayably hot.
    2/10.

13: Couple drizzles at times but broadly super weekend. Chance this could be an analogous weekend again shortly. Weather for The Stones was perfect.
    8/10.

14: Bog standard muddy weekend at Worthy Farm. 2 inches of brown soup everywhere. Crap.
    3/10.

15: Sunshine and showers. Sunshyte. Pissed rain couple times. Another real drag of a year. Hardly the worst tho.
    5/10.

16: Appalling. Ground pre-festival utterly waterlogged. Journey over was beset with challenges. Organisers encouraged people to delay arrival. Left early. Still scarred by getting in and getting out. UTTER chaos. The worst year for me. Thankfully the chances of anything even close to this next weekend are now nil.
    0/10.

17: Wednesday one of the hottest days ive experienced in the UK. It got cooler as the weekend went by. In many ways this saved my relationship with the festival given the previous year.
    9/10.

19: We spent the weekend worrying about pending thunderstorms which never materialised. Incredibly lucky and a marvellous weekend. I got sunburned to f&ck on the Wednesday, really dummy move. Hottest Saturday afternoon I can remember at Worthy Farm.
    9/10.

22: Pretty much perfect. Runners all weekend and a slight coldish chill in the evenings. Bliss really.
    9/10.

For 2023 see 2019. Chasing flag shadows around West Holts for most of Saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Or sitting under a brolly. Hangovers are a bollix in that heat.

• Advertisement

We hid for a few hours under the shadow of the Astrolabe. Not a runner for me with my translucent skin.

It took us two hours to get down from Worthy View to West Holts, had to keep stopping for shade. Easily about 30o that afternoon.

You're really selling it lads. The Eavis family should get you boys on some sort of Glasto Bord Fáilte type podcast.

I suspect it's some sort of ploy to reduce queues for next year. I'm on to ye.

"It's too hot."

"It's pissing it down."

"The longdrops are stinkin' in this heat."

"The longdrops are stinkin' with this rain."

And so it goes.

Jesus man I'm surprised you're still going! Got the hiking boots and Rainjacket anyway. Went a size smaller than I am in runners as they were swinging on me, lady in the shop assured me the best way to avoid blisters is to have a better fitting boot and wear polyester or cotton socks..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

2019 was tough going though, so many people ended up in the medic tents on IV drips for fluids. It hit 32 degrees C on Saturday without a hint of a cloud which is waaaaay too hot for a festival. I found it easier to get around in the mud of 2016.

In other news I've bought a new rucksack and filled it with all the usual crap after my old finally gave up the ghost last year. I found an 85 litre Regatta rucksack in TK Maxx for €75, delighted.

• Advertisement

Bags are packed now, forecast shaping up to be OK for the first few days at least and excitement building rapidly in our WhatsApp group.

Probably aiming to camp somewhere in the vicinity of the north western side as we will arrive through Gate A - Darble or Bushy Ground maybe. Flying into Bristol Wednesday morning and our bus leaves the airport at 12.

Has anyone that's been before got any nuggets of info or tips to share before we fly out in Wednesday morning? We will try and explore as much as possible on the Wednesday and Thursday in particular. We have acts that we want to see but overall are happy to follow our noses and aside from maybe 1-2 acts there aren't many I'd be gutted about missing.

I might be on the same bus @Ferris_Bueller but I’m going to try and get an earlier one.

Try for Michaels Mead at that time. Or send one ahead with no bags on a recon mission to see if theres room. Failing that, loads of room in the other campsites on that side.

My only advice would be to just for for an explore. Keep it fairly agendaless. Its a marathon not a sprint.

Whisper it - weather looking great. Think Ill be leaving the walking boots at home.

Work is dead to me here.

Flights out on Wednesday morning, coach from Bristol City Centre at 1.30pm. We had the dreamiest run to arrive last year, first SeeTickets coach from Bristol at 8.30am, straight on to the WV shuttle with zero queue and at our tent for about 10.30am. Whole day of bimbling. Probably won't be on site until late afternoon this time but who cares. Pub crawl this year.

Plan to camp north of railway line.

Pick a routine spot within the fest to meet people before/after shows.

Don't try to see everything. You can't.

Allow for a lot of time to move between stages. Its a 40 min walk from Park to Acoustic.

Don't get too effed up on Wed/Thur. Its a long weekend!

Use the lockups. They are a superb and hugely reliable festival service.

Usual festival craic - charging blocks for phones / go nowhere without a hat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Liam Gallagher tonight and flight at 5.55AM might not be the best preparation for a week in a field, but what can ya do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Rfrip

safe travelling all! This is my favourite thread on boards and I love reading the reviews.
    il be sitting at home on the couch watching it all in the hope one day il make it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Have them all set to record.. Looking forward to watching when I get back!

• Advertisement

Is it an option to hop on an earlier one or are you stuck with the one you've got? Our flight arrives in around 9am but we needed to allow for time to pick up alcohol.

Advertisement