Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dogsdodogsstuff

I’ve really enjoyed travelling around for Dubs away games in the Champo. Even Breffini park was a bit of fun, I hadn’t been there since 1986. Don’t know how some people have convinced themselves that Dublin playing outside croker is levelling anything, I think they enjoy the travelling and don’t see any difference in performances.

Ref was atrocious, that foul on Fenton on 66 really was deplorable, ref standing 5 yards away, no excuse , your man practically trying to get the ride on Fentons back, and somehow the ref gives the free the other way. Then the ref nearly hands a win to Mayo with the softest free you will ever see. The missed 45 I can kind of forgive but it seemed like most the bad decisions went against us.

That said , therr are worrying signs with Dublin. There were elements of the Derry league final game where Dublin kept in the games through what I think is experience muscle memory. Our players can raise it , maybe coupled with opponents sh*tying the bed a bit. But there’s a lot to work on.

Funnily enough, I felt that we needed that game desperately. We needed a close game , we we weren’t on it cause there is a team or two (Donegal ?!) outside of Kerry who could catch us on the hop in a one off game. mayo have done us a massive favour, Dessie has a lot of stuff to throw at his team to remind them how this kind of performance just won’t cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ciaran Kilkenny has some mental strength. He is some man to grab a game and make it his. In the first half, Mayo were struggling for scores against the wind. Lads coming to with 20 metres of the goal, and then turning around cause they were afraid to shoot into the wind. Dublin were likewise in the second half. Lots of passing back and forth. Eventually the ball made its way to Kilkenny, and he had only one thing on his mind. He ballooned it over the bar, and there was intent in the way he kicked it.

And that catch he did with 30 seconds left was amazing. It was all or nothing at that stage. And he just got it into his head that he was going to get it. And he did. Some warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MFPM

Some terrible wides by Dublin killing them. Cork pulling away a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The way it is going it is not going to be a hammering by goals for Dublin, but death by a thousand pucks.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I will take 5 down at half time. Hopefully it will be a hurling freetaking contest in the second half, and Donal Burke will click into gear. I am not very hopeful though.

• Advertisement

I'm not too hopeful either, Dublin will need a couple of goals I think.

Dublin rarely have goals in them though, especially the way Dublin set up today. A "moral victory" might be the reality. To be honest Cork look complacent. They look like they are there to be caught.

Burke hit a wide, Horgan all the time to slot over. Sums up the match! Cork getting scores far easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭JRant

this is like a challenge match you’d see at the start of a season. No real intensity to it at all.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

where was that intensity for the first 60 minutes of the game? Honest to god, this team would drive you to drink. Well able to play and get stuck in but only ever do it in fits and starts. Something lacking in the mentality or preparation of this team because they go into their shells for large parts of games which is nowhere near good enough.

• Advertisement

I don't know what to make of we were weren't walloped pleased with that. But so many fecking chances missed. And then your right there was no fire in it. I think it could be a real chance missed of getting to first AI SF since 2013.

There’s just no belief in this team. They were beaten before a ball was thrown in against Kilkenny and could have won today if they really wanted it. We are still a long way from the top unfortunately.

I think you are right it is between the ears. The same type of thing the Dub footballers had in the 00's. But then you are thinking if M.Donoghue cannot turn it around (AI winning manager) who can?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Obviously we needed to show the intensity from the start which we as usual didn't so never looked like winning not sure the team ever believed they could either .The performance in the leinster final kind of colours my view of the season so I would think it was only ok overall ,still nowhere near good enough to hold our own in the big games with the top teams .I always hear we are building towards next year so even with a good under 20 team I will believe we can mix it with the best when I see it ,not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i was more disappointed that dublin showed that level of intent and fight and nothing for 55 minutes , a team can never reach its full potential if they play like that ,

the black dog of dublin hurling anthony daly calls it , even he couldn't put his finger on it when he was manager , the wides today were awful and the mistakes in midfield in terms of short hand passing or running into traffic were junior level stuff ,

it has to be encouraging to see the fight back at the end but hugely frustrating in the overall performance ,it would be nice to see bigger crowds ad dublin games down the country too there is plenty of hurling people staying at home

I see the crowd being mentioned a fair bit but what did the GAA expect having on a Saturday at such an early time? The hurling people are probably off coaching or mentoring juvenile teams at this time, like myself.

The skill levels are improving in our players but I don't think we play at that level of intensity often enough. The club game isn't in bad shape at all but it's played at a far lower intensity than the games you see in Kilkenny or Munster. I think we'll get better and Donoghue is doing a good job but I just can't see us competing at the top for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Seadin

I'm not sure about that. Cork were winning by 9 points at one stage of that game. Dublin never looked like winning tbf. They played at the end but game was well over and Cork got their scores alot easier than Dublins imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Wonder if Dublin got a good start would they have been capable of matching Cork for at least most part rather than getting going when the match was more or less done.Think sometimes a lot is made of teams coming almost back into a match when its too late .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, it seemed less like Dublin battling back, and more Cork running down the clock with some ok game management.

Hard to know where Dublin Hurling is at, in my view, but I guess my question would boil down to Donoghue. Is he doing an ok job with what he's got? Not trying to stir the pot or anything, I genuinely don't know, and would like your opinion on what he's done to date.

Well you look overall he has blooded a lot of players and tried to develop a style. Whether it suits Dublin hurling is another debate. I much preferred the Anthony Daly style which was successful, maybe that is outdated now and won't work over a decade later?

But you have to ask yourself who has O'Donoghue's Dublin beaten in the championship this year worth talking about? The big win was against a Galway team playing with 14 men for most of the match.

Chris Crummey coming back was also a massive reason for any sort of lift in performances in patches. But can O'Donoghue manage to get other newer players playing with the same fire? I am not so sure.

But I think the wisest thing is let O'Donoghue do his thing let the young fellas settle and eventually hopefully they will click together. But the reality is this Dublin team is still heavily reliant on a few stalwarts, plus getting frees. A system needs to found to hide those Dublin weakness against the top tier sides.

But that is very hard to do in hurling. Dublin won't really progress until a forward are found/produced/roped in who has consistent goals/is a threat. And you can't blame O'Donoghue for that if such players do not exist/want to play.

Dublin have not even got a forward that can win most ball like Conal Keaney used to do. Bringing other lads into play / relieving pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

New Dubs book

Nabbed from the ResDubs lads.

'Unbeatable - Dublin's Incredible Six in a Row' is available for pre-order from Easons etc, apparently.

https://www.easons.com/unbeatable-eric-haughan-9781788495202

In the draw Dublin can't get Roscommon, can they get Louth? Galway and Derry obviously the harder options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭mobby

It's going to be Galway or Derry. I have a feeling Derry.

Dublin v Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

I agree, hopefully Derry take care of Kerry too 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

I assume 7 on Saturday or 4 on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

really hoping for Saturday. These last minute setting of fixtures are a killer for other events clashing. Can try to be here the weekend you know a game is on but impossible to keep both days fully clear.

Advertisement