Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Seems to have a been a very large satellite receiving complex of dishes and buildings.

Barely zero mention of deliberately targeting civilians in Odessa with cluster munitions.

And a drone gets shot down over a beach in Crimea and it's all war.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

there are/were an active air defence plus radar on the clifftop overhead that beach

• Registered Users Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Innocent??? They are fully complicit with the evil war crimes their state has engaged in. Pariahs one and all.

A good few places got hit seemingly. The Space communications centre in Vityne, a military complex between Molochne and Uiutne, explosions then were heard from Zaozerne, Yevpatoriia and Donuzlav.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

That video shows nothing. And even if it did Ukraine aren't in the habit of using their crown jewels weapons on civilians.

1. It serves no purpose
    2. They don't have the resources to waste if they want to survive
    3. They'd risk turning the international community against them and losing Western support if they start acting like the Russian military(genocidal animals).

So at best it was an accident\misfire(or more likely didn't happen) and at worst it's Russian lies. Again.

Russians have been verifiably bombing the ever loving f*ck out of Kharkiv and Ukrainian civilians for years now. Without a military target in sight. Interesting that you only choose to pipe up about this suspected war crime. Though now that I think about it it's not very interesting at all. Back in your cave troll. You're fooling noone.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

They were not targetting civilians. The target was a military base in Sevastopol, ru air defence intercepted and debris fell to the beach. Theres actual pictures of debris from ru ad missile on the beach. So you can actually say russians themselves attacked their own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Also don't you think that if Ukraine had injured 100 people and killed a handful that pictures of it would be all over the internet?

The Russians are just lying to try and get the Americans to take ATACMS out of their hands. Because Russian air defense are getting bodied by them and they're desperate for any solution.

It's just like that time that Russia claimed Ukraine had shot down a planeful of POWs when they shot down the IL76 a few months back. Lies. And until there's further proof Russians don't get the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Sure what could go wrong? Not much emphasis on Health and Safety in Ruzzia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭threeball

What kind of simpleton goes to the beach in a war zone in any case. Hill walking through a mine field or paragliding near an airforce base are all good ideas too I suppose.

You can pretty much guarantee that Ukraine didn't target them but it's hard to have sympathy with anyone stupid enough to do such a thing with special contempt for anyone vile enough to bring children there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

What a pathetic post. You have absolutely zero proof there was any deliberate attack on civilians. If you do then back it up now.

Russia has been bombing the sh**t out of Kharkiv now for a long time killing multiple civilians, where is your outrage at that?

Crimea has military defences in the vicinity of this beach, the most obvious explanation here would be that an intercepted missile maybe caused this.

The blame for every civilian life lost in Ukraine wether accidental or on purpose lies squarely with the Russian invaders who have brought this hell on Ukraine and it's people. It can all stop tomorrow if Putin stops this genocidal rampage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

do a search of NATO and Ukraine going back to the 90's and naughties, there is no point "starting the clock in 2014"

i couldnt be arsed reading the article but this doesnt scream neutrality , they would have been better served treating NATO with a barge pole

"Fifteen years ago, on 9 July 1997, the Charter on a Distinctive Partnership between NATO and Ukraine was signed. It identified areas for consultation and cooperation, and established the NATO-Ukraine Commission to take work forward. Since then, dialogue and practical cooperation have become well-established in a wide range of areas"

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_89037.htm

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,475 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Neutrality is just an excuse for Russia to invade. Countries join NATO because the alternative is Russian domination.

Look at Belarus for what Russia had lined up for Ukraine.

Look at how Russia 'respects' Moldovan 'neutrality' by refusing to respect agreements to remove forces from Transnistria.

We have seen even Finland and Sweden abandon the neutrality they maintained vis a vis USSR all through the Cold War, in recognition of this.

Anyone who thinks 'neutrality' would have preserved Ukrainian independence and sovereignty - or for that matter that of the Baltic States - clearly hasn't been paying attention.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If it's the Air Forces, might it be F-16s already? Or are Ukrainian planes capable of such an attach inside Russia ?

of course it could have, if the US had the ability to conduct genuine diplomacy and not greedy oneup-mansship, Europe would be a different place. As it is the yanks seem to have played themselves and only strengthened China and Islam in the process plus weakening Europe, in my lifetime I have never seen the US so weak, its only a 50/50 they stay number one or go into a debt spiral

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Russia is heavily promoting Crimea as a holiday resort for Russians, basically, they are using Russian civilians as human shields.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

When people say Ukraine should have remained neutral, they actually mean Russia should be allowed to do whatever they want. That's why no smaller European country bordering Russia stayed neutral. It's not aggressive NATO expansion, it's countering Russian aggression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Any reason why you won't comment on if Russia is committing genocide? How exactly does a peace plan work if they're likely to commit genocide if they remain in any region? Now you will run off again and answer nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,475 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Even within a single post your are position is all over the place… it is just an anti-US rant. The US is weak… also, the US is interfering in Europe. What does this nonsense mean? It appears you don't even know, these appear to be slogans you are merely repeating here sourced elsewhere. If the US was stronger or had less debt, what does that mean? They'd have threatened and attacked Russia? No explanation, you have none, that is obvious. These posts demonstrate you have zero concern for Ukraine, or Ukrainian citizens. You refuse to condemn Russian atrocities and war crimes. This entire war is just an excuse for you to post ill informed rants at the US.

The US did conduct genuine diplomacy. The US through NATO signed the NATO-Russia Founding Act, a formal treaty. The US and NATO have observed this treaty, and under this treaty Ukraine is permitted to join NATO. It is permitted to conduct an independent foreign and security policy.
    This is also the formal basis under which admittance of countries such as Poland, Latvia etc to NATO was proceeded with.

Russia started interfering in Ukraine, in breach of the Budapest Agreement, when Ukraine - as it was fully entitled to in respect of all its agreements with Russia - was negotiating a treaty with the EU. The EU, not NATO. Whether neutral or not.

Russia could not tolerate an independent Ukraine out of its domination.

Still waiting on any real credible explanation as to how Ukraine, or for that matter the likes of the Baltic States, could have maintained independence from Russian domination outside NATO.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Field east

The west has a completely different understanding to Ru re strategy in a lot of areas. Eg If the west was in Russia’s place it would definately not be ‘encouraging/planting’ ’ its citizens in Crimea. For whatever reason the Russian citizens are buying up property in the occupied part of UKr , holidaying in Crimea , moving there to ‘work’ , etc. they are either being sold a ‘PUP, given massive enticements or/and are true believers in the USSR project and are assisting in populating the area with PURE Russians once the UKr have ‘moved out’?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭phester28

I am not usually active in posting here, but I find this poster the most bigoted consistent anti west anti US and pro Russian views of "Russia is great". You always fail to substantiate your claims / belief. I have watched this country turn everything on its head from the Chechnya war to the Georgian invasion. They have the ability to spin what they are doing on every occasion to say the target country is doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I always think it's interesting that many Russians leave/escape from Russia. I even personally know some Russians who moved here/Europe for a better life.

Whereas you don't see a long queue of European or people from democratic countries trying to immigrate to Russia. Despite Russia being great, the economy doing so well and it being very well led by the Kremlin. Despite beautiful holiday resorts such Sevastopol also being available.

That's where the "Russia is great" argument falls down for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭phester28

A lot have escaped to Georgia and some have come to Ireland. I cant help feel that amongst the genuine people not wanting to be sent to fight for Putins ego there are some FSB agents planted for a long term plan to continue destabilising democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Steviemak7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Rawr

As a bit of an aside to the discussion here in realtion to certain contibutors, I find myself thinking forward a bit to the future.

I try to approach life as an optimist when I can, and I like to believe that eventually the Russians will be defeated militarily and Ukraine will get to some Status Quo Ante Bellim (or as close to normal as they can get with bombed out cities and mined fields). I like to think it is a matter of when, and not if this will happen.

With that (sort-of) optimistic future in mind, I wonder about our cenrtist friends here and their future outlook on life. They remind me an awful lot of the phenomon of "Useful Idiots" that were often allinged to the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

These contibutors are very much like that previous generation of ill-informed supporters. I guess I don't include the obvious Russian assets in this group, but we do have a least some cohort of people in Ireland who for various different reasons are blind to the morally bankrupt position of the Russian Federation or its dictator. I wonder…how would they adapt to a world where their chosen heroes have been fully exposed and broken?

Based on experience I see three possible outcomes:

• They'll change their tune once Russian defeat is on the horizon and act as if they never supported the Kremlin. Being as morally bankrupt as they are, I suspect some of them have very little courage in their convictions and will bend with the wind.
    • They'll double-down ala Trump's "Big Lie" and simply pretend that reality doesn't apply. Arguing the defeat is victory and death is just alternative living
    • Or they will simply go silent until the next authoriatian band-wagon catches their fancy.

The final option that I don't list is for a Useful Idiot to gain self-awareness of the horrable things they are supporting and then cease out of shame. I don't count it because people who have reached that stage have somehow regained a piece of their humanity. By then, they are no longer Useful Idiots and there is hope for them.

When we look back at this time in history…hopefully from a future at peace with democracy intact…it will be interesting to reflect on these people and on why they existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

They're actually saying Ukraine should have invaded Russia to guarantee peace. The ramblings may be a little incoherent but if you follow the breadcrumbs dispersed among the almost senseless posts you can see it is not actually Russia's fault at all. They were the most peaceful nation for invading first. The blame lies squarely with Ukraine for not invading Russia and to a lesser extent Ukraine's proxy's the EU and the US. I am thankful for Silverharp's contributions or I'd never have figured it out.

It can succinctly be summarised as:

• Invading = Peace loving
    • Defending = War mongering

You're all welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Ukraine was neutral. Despite that, the dictatorship next door kept meddling in it's politics, poisoning it's politicians, threatening it relentlessly. Culminating in annexing territory, starting a proxy war, then launching a full-scale invasion. Ukraine's neutrality is exactly the reason Putin seized his chance to invade it.

If Ukraine had been fast-tracked into NATO it's unlikely any of this would have happened.

Putin is the head of a very aggressive nation which has been conducting hybrid warfare on Europe for over a decade, despite our best appeasement and sycophantic efforts it has not curbed this aggression. His TV hosts talk of nothing but war, invasion and nuking European cities.

He just moved 80% of troops away from the Finnish-Russian border, you know why? He has no fear of any invasion. Nobody wants to invade nuclear armed Russia. It's a projection to validate his aggressive imperialist ambitions against Europe.

The "but the West must be to blame" tiresome yarn from the Kremlin and it's sympathisers has well and truly exhausted itself, which is why they've run out of ways to divert blame from Putin. We can all criticise Europe's slow or dragged response to this one-sided aggression, but it's Putin's invasion, which he can end at any time of his choosing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Ukraine has adapted their Soviet era planes to launch the French supplied Hammer bombs.

Those bombs use a rocket motor to extend the range (70km) so would be ideal for those sort of strikes.

Advertisement