Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open contract question

• 23-06-2024 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I have been offered an open contract with DSP with minimum 8 weeks.

I only ever had fixed term contracts before.

I can work July and August, but have plans for September onwards, so can't remain in this open contract.

Will this cause issues down the line or do I just hand in notice towards the end like in any other job?

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Ted222

When you say an ‘open’ contract, do you mean a regular employment contract?

If so, you can resign at any time in accordance with the terms of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Beckett99

The email calls it "open contract" so I am assuming it's just a regular DSP contract - I haven't before come across an open contract and don't want any issues when I leave!

Post edited by Beckett99 on

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Beckett99

Should I let DSP know I can only work the minimum 8 weeks now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well from you description of the contract it is hard to say what kind of contract you have been offered…. An open ended contract has not end date and possibly may mention a notice period or rely on the default period given in labour law legislation. I don't know what you mean by minimum 8 weeks…..

You can always terminate a work contract by giving the notice set out in the contract or the legislation…. and there would be no legal consequences if you do this.

Whether it's a good idea to knownling take an open ended contract with the intention of only working for a short period is something only you can decide. If you depend on fixed contracts for work and do so through same agencies and employers, it may come back on you as they won't be happy with you messing them about and you may find you are not at the top of their goto list next time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

An open contract is temporary but the end date isn't fixed yet.

They've offered 8 weeks. You can work 8 weeks.

Take it.

Say nothing until you're close to the notice period. Give notice then.

Don't make things any more complicated than they need to be!

• Advertisement
Advertisement