Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭testtech05

Not looking like it will matter so far anyway but if that's the hamstring for Walsh he would not be recovering in 1 week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭threeball

Monaghan may as well put us out of our misery. We're nowhere near the level of the top teams. This is absolutely septic stuff. No intent or nous in how we attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭testtech05

For the last 10 mins or so we seemed to decide to move with a bit of pace and got some joy but where was that all the rest of the half.

Defence looks looser than previously too. Not looking good for us overall.

As ya said even if we can somehow get through this hard to see us get any further

To have a few injuries is unlucky but to have the number of injuries we've had and recurring injuries, looks like either a poorly designed training programme or poor management of player loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭cson

Gritty win to be fair to them.

Might sneak next week if the draw is kind, but think SF is the ceiling for this team with all the injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Wss Walsh bad coming off? Seems like he carried the injury into the match. Donegal probably the best draw now with their lack of big time experience

Hard to know, seemed to be grabbing his hamstring but Joyce said it was an ankle injury.

Donegal are beatable, I think we could get a kicking off Dublin or Kerry. We won't pass the semi in any case. Better 2nd half but we aren't operating at a level that would trouble the big two. It's a poor championship overall. The big two only have to peak for one game, when they meet each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Impossible to make anything of that game. Impossible to know where we are. Impossible to know where we are going.

Positives. Defence. Low score conceded again. Mulkerrin great again. Been fantastic last two games.

McDaid, Kelly more like it 2nd half. Maher/Conroy/Tierney immense throughout.

Credit to management. Taking McGrath out of the full back line to stick with O' Hanlon worked well. Gave a bite going forward when he could.

Negatives. injuries. Shane hasn't looked right at all this year. Popping pills on the sidelines against Armagh and never looked right today.

Tierney kicking two frees (no issue with him taking them as he's excellent) but with the breeze makes me think Finnerty is playing hurt as they were pretty straightforward.

Great to see Comer back. Great point. One run he did to close down out near the sideline he did not look right. Too many lads playing hurt.

Playing within ourselves. I'm of the serious opinion our first half performances are more by design than anything else. Keep it tight, measured, don't bring it into contact hold possession. Stay in the game. Second half open up little. Maybe Croke Park will bring out a more expansive mindset. Bar London every game this year had been torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Avon8

I think the Finnerty frees being switched to Tierney was because Finnerty had missed his first one and it was too far out for him.

Tierney should be taking them all regardless.

1. He's just as accurate if not moreso.

2. He has far greater range. There was dozens of reasons we didn't get the win v Armagh but one big and unforgivable one was Finnerty dropping the free short when 5 up from 40 yards out on the angle. He's been playing for Galway for 5/6 years and every single free he's ever taken from that far out has dropped short. Everyone knew it was going to happen before it happened. Completely unforgivable by management to allow it happen with Tierney (or even Walsh off left) with booming kicks on the same pitch

Finnertys been superb from play though outside of that instance and the first free today which was also outside of range

Great post. It does feel like there's another gear or two in Galway alright because have Comer Walsh and Finnerty/Tierney ever scored even 3 each from play in the same big match? Bar the likes of the Sligo match last year.

Too many playing injured is right. But honestly how is it reoccurring so much? We should be primed for next weekend bar maybe a bit of fatigue. But instead we're absolutely crippled again. Same lads injured as in the league, Comer Walsh Finnerty, probably Kelly too.

Can't just be a genetic thing. Is the strength and conditioning guy up to it, or coaching, or physios either, when it comes to managing the load properly in this condensed season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Joyce isn't going to mention the injuries of course...

Except, he's been on about injuries since the start of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The draw against Armagh is likely to prove costly, as even the easiest draw we can get ( Donegal) is much more difficult than what we would have likely faced had we held out for the win over Armagh. Add to that the injury to Walsh, plus the fatigue factor of playing 3 weeks in a row, we certainly haven't made it easy on ourselves, really need to avoid Dublin or Kerry to have any chance of making the semi final.

On another note the structure of the championship needs to be looked at; out of 5 matches, Derry have lost 3 matches, only beaten Westmeath, won a penalty shoot out and are at the same stage as us, yet we've won 5 out of six and drawn one match. No doubt Derry will probably draw Donegal and we'll end up with Dublin or Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I agree. V hard to win AI now without topping your group. Would be a serious serious achievement to win next week whoever we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

That was no more than a tough training session yesterday. Need to stop making excuses about being out 3 weeks in a row. Kerry have had no competitive game this year. Thats not ideal either. Dublin one tough work out again Mayo. Structure needs a complete overhaul

Our biggest problem is 5 or 6 players are carrying what appear to be long term knocks and an extra weeks break was not going to make much difference to that. Even if we beat Armagh those 5 or 6 would still not be 100% fit

Dublin don't appear to be operating at full tilt so far. Struggled against Louth, struggled against Mayo, maybe they can flip the switch and go up the gears in Croke Park.

Kerry on the other hand seem to be ramping up nicely after a slow start. They're capable of putting a serious beating on someone and given we're getting either them or Dublin I think I'd prefer to play Dublin.

Kerry always get a soft draw. I'm expecting Roscommon who they'll absolutely thump.

If Donegal and Galway were to come out first rest of the games decided as far as I can make out.

Donegal vs Galway

Dublin vs Derry

Kerry vs Roscommon

Armagh vs Louth

Watching the game back I'm not sure Donegal would be my first choice anyway. Like you said maybe Dublin the best bet (not that any are particular appealing on current form). Management would have some big calls to make around personnel and matchups. Not sure if they have the stomach for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭MfMan

Feck Cork and Louth anyway. Could have really done with Cork winning but they were utterly spineless with the match at their mercy. Louth were running out of ideas until the Cork keeper gifted them a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭cson

That Campbell point in injury time for Armagh is going to get them to a soft semi final. You'd be sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭I see sheep

The DUBS

That draw format is absolute bulls**t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭vid36

Worst possible draw, what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Agree the whole set up is crazy. Who came up with this nonsense.

Worst outcome from that draw against Armagh. Armagh got Monaghan last year and Roscommon this year in a quarter final.

Pity Galway weren't all fully fit but I think we'll give them a rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Sunday would be best for the extra days rest and recovery.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I'm happy with the draw.

Feck it if we're after an All-Ireland we have to beat the best.

Will be a great atmosphere, hoping I can make it 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Avon8

Theyre putting Louth in the 2pm Sunday slot it looks like (as requested) so it's a toss up as to them putting the Dubs and Galway at 4pm Sunday or Armagh v Ros. Armagh and Dublin are the only two with huge support numbers so they'll be kept seperate and put in a late game

Paddy Power either know something or guessed but they have Galway vs Dublin 4pm Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭MfMan

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭vid36

I think Kerry v Derry will be Sunday too, very long distances for fans travelling back Sat night, but who knows.

• Advertisement

They want to give the chance for Scottie Sheffler supporting punters picking up their winnings to have an early bet on the games. Could just be a placeholder.

Advertisement