Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2fm - New schedule coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

If she ever stop clawing at the coat tails of Gerry she might get somewhere, it's clear from article it is coming from her "team" and they have to use Gerrys name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

I feel sorry for her. She’s not in the new gig a month. It takes time to bed in and she hasn’t even had that. I haven’t listened but it does strike me that she’s the wronged party here.

You can look at it two ways. She might be crap in the slot and completely unsuited to the show but it would have been obvious beforehand that it wasn’t the place for her and she’s a known quantity in RTE as well so somebody selecting and assigning the on-air talent screwed up here.

On the other hand she was hoodwinked. They didn’t have a plan B after the exodus, threw Lottie into the slot, publicised the hell out of it to distract from the shít show unfolding and hedged they’re bets because they knew she wasn’t a fit but let her play out til they could regroup and find somebody else. That’s very shoddy practice and she should have been given time to bed in.

It does cast a light on Lottie though. Most people, if they weee dicked around like this by an organisation would likely start making exit plans. If Lottie stays now it’ll just get worse because it’s blatantly obvious now that RTE can treat her like absolute shít and she’ll stick around. I feel sorry for the woman. She likely can’t get employed anywhere else and her employer seem to be crapping all over her. That’s a horrible position to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

i agree with you there, in fact this whole thing shows that Dan Healy is way out of his depth. Now i have never liked the way he treats presenters in the way he fires them without notice to them or indeed their audience.

It treats the presenters badly and suggests he has a "there's loads in the queue behind you" attitude but also suggets that he has no regard for the audience, just stick anyone in there.

This is a bizzare situation - it seems that Lottie was intended to be a fill in untill yet another SM person with no radio experiance was to be given a national radio gig - and a prime one at that! The problem is that DH never seems to have told Lottie this. He has lost command of the ship - if the "bullshit! bullshit! bullshit!" OTR reply of him about Jen Z leaving didnt sink him then this should.

And, no, bad as lottie may be, the answer isnt a tik tok personality. The answer is a new station manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Newbie12345The

you’d think they’d learn after hiring an unfunny social media comedian in Doireann - wtf is a Tik tok lip sync

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Newbie12345The

you know she doesn’t have any self respect but why would she give up a over 50grand a year ( being conservative on that figure) contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

Haven’t listened to the show but anytime I’ve heard either of them presenting shows they’re bad. Replacing with a social media person is going to be just as bad. I wonder who’ll be pushing the buttons for her.

It's hard to tell if it will be as bad, Lottie is not a DJ, she never was. Hence why they have dropped her from one show to another and then back into minimal slots for years

This TikTok person could be 100 times better but I doubt she will be any worse

Oh I know, plus it well over 50k

She keeps saying she doesn't want to use her fathers name or linked with her father, yet constantly links herseld with her father

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

I know absolutely nothing about this TokTok person either but perhaps she will be better. Every presenter has to start somewhere and with a bit of practice (and training?) she might be perfectly fine. Lottie, unfortunately, is a known quantity. I wonder why they gave her this radio slot in the first place, and why they've yanked her from it so quickly. It is humiliating and even though I don't rate her as a presenter, I feel for her today. Was she so bad that they felt she couldn't be left on the air? Were they negotiating with replacements behind the scenes all the time? Did they lead her to believe it was going to be a longer gig? Perhaps she saw this as her big break - finally!

RTE/2FM had to do something with Lottie after years been in the role and going nowhere. She would be on decent wages and was just reading a segment which really an intern or a very young DJ should get when trying to get into the business. If it was any other station she would have been given a slot years ago and then dumped when it failed

This was her last chance I guess and it was a disaster, I think RTE/2FM might hope she will know just leave without a big payoff but hard to tell with Lottie, she seems happy enough to do the entertainment bit her entire life so she will probably go back into it and just take her wages

By the way this is multiple times now she has failed, they have shoved her into multiple slots and its been a disaster, so her big break has come a few times and all failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think it’s disgraceful treatment of Lottie.

She's probably permanent by now, possibly by default after being around the place for so long. Unless they're clever about making her redundant they're stuck with her. From her point of view, why would she leave? A bruised ego is easier to get over than a diminished pay packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

She was a contractor last year during her Toyota car advert in the RTÉ car park period, that would have been the time to make the decision not to renew it.

Unless they had no choice? My understanding of employment law is that you can't keep giving people fixed contracts indefinitely. They may have had to regularise her situation, along with other people in RTE (wasn't there a court case?)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,595 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A lot of assumptions here..a career built pretty much solely around her dad's name supported by constant puff pieces from friendly rag mags when she does the most mundane thing, extremely tiresome.

She has been well paid for very little over the years I wouldn't feel too sorry for her tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes you can't roll over more than 4 years in fixed contracts, however I believe if you set yourself up as a company providing services to RTÉ like how Joe Duffy and Ryan Tubridy did it can be indefinetely. It would seem to me that she was an employee initially, then switched to be a contractor to take the benefits that gig gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

maybe, but is one of the two biggest slots on 2FM the place to find out? God be with the days that newbies be tested out of an evening slot or weekend breakfast - in the days that getting a 2FM slot was the actual pinnacle and you hadn't done years elsewhere beforehand (like Doireann did tbf).

it just sounds like DH is just screaming "get me someone young and popular!!!" and dropping them into the slots. He must have one hell of a production team in there.

And all she will end up doing is the usual "whats's your best ice cream/holiday/tv ad" links anyway.

2FM is in a section full of radio stations across Ireland which are better and more people want to listen to

2FM is no more the pinnacle and in all honestly it is mostly a graveyard now.

Sticking a TikTok person on it has more chance of getting listeners than anything else, after all the two jonnies are just "stars" from online podcast re they not?

When you have the likes of Lottie as part of the staff then hiring outside will be the only option

It's a fair comment that 2FM is no longer the pinnacle. Certainly, it's not the high point of an influencer's career. It's a great way to up their profile, thanks to the exposure they'll get on RTE. It's not a good recipe in the medium to long term because you can't see any of these people staying around for the long haul.

2FM could do something radical and hire good young presenters from local radio. Mix up the music selection more, cut out all that "mad for the craic" and be a solid youth station. Young people can listen to all the comedy and chatter and messing they want on their smartphones. Maybe they might like to listen to music with a bit of curation and presenters who aren't trying to be comedians. 2FM is simply reheating what they're getting online anyway.

I think it’s clear enough and unless Lottie herself comes on here and clarifies, then we’re all assuming one way or another. On a purely professional basis I agree with you. She got given the job, they decided to rehash the lineup and pulled in someone with lots of followers.

I’m looking at it though on a personal level. I have no desire to see someone led on abc dumped without being given anything like a half decent chance. Even the most incompetent person will last more than 3 weeks in a job before they’re finally managed to be cleared out. Lottie gig no chance whatsoever. I don’t care how much you dislike someone, it really should register that she’s been unfairly treated here. Pulled from a prime time slot is humiliating and I can’t see it’s her fault yet. There isn’t even a Llistenership JLR book for the period.

• Advertisement

2FM could, but they won't, they hire the likes of Lottie because of her father. Or Doireann because she is part of the larger RTE family. Then try to paint it up as a new hire

Actually going for the Two Jonnies and Trapp is a total break from the norm

I expect the pressure is on in RTE and 2FM could be shut down tomorrow and nobody would give a sh*t, well apart from all the highly paid people in it like Lottie

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

loddy doddy free da loddy, loddy doddy free da loddy, the queen of RTÉ

She was terrible at her job, what exactly did you want them to do?

The fact more people could have predicted she was terrible in the first place shows how poor 2FM judgement is putting her into the role in first place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

I thought she was decent on breakfast republic a few years ago. I don’t listen to anything on 2 fm right now but everyone is entitled to fair treatment. A good few people have been messed around in there.

That’s the point though. The 2FM brass knew what Lottie could and couldn’t do. If she was unsuitable for the position she shouldn’t have been offered it in the first place. If Joe is a woeful chef but John, the restaurant manager promotes Joe from the dishwashing to senior chef and most of the food starts coming out either undercooked or burnt to a crisp, who’s at fault? John surely. I think if you promote someone into a position then you need to offer them support to meet the standards required or give them the chance to try and meet the standard before either demoting them or terminating the door.

Dan Healy has really fúcked up here by promoting Lottie to a position he, you could argue, knew she wasn’t suitable for and then pulls her without due time to find her feet. Lottie’s old man was litigious but he was a trained solicitor. I can’t see Dan Healy having much of a leg to stand on if Lottie decided to air her grievances in a workplace tribunal.

Maybe they are trying to move her on, doing the entertainment she was never going to leave. She is on big wages. Put her into a primary role, if she fails then a reason to move her on. If she succeeds then great they have a inhouse hire for a primary role

She was hired for a role, she is supposed to be a star, she failed and listeners left because she was poor in that role. How would she have any case in a workplace tribunal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Newstalk are doing a daily Love Island/ entertainment slot on Pat Kenny. Would Lottie be interested in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,595 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Was there some big announcement by RTE/2FM she was given the job "full time" so to speak? Maybe she should have checked her contract....

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Is she actually officially going or is it just paper talk/ rumours. Nothing official as I can see. Either way, she'll be zero loss, one of the most irritating voices on radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Advertisement