Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rich relatives

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Just be honest in your conversations with them and your own children. Say ' we cannot afford' when discussion about potential spending arises. After a few such conversations usually there's an acceptance of the reality by all concerned and life moves on. If you maintain a good relationship with your own children and enable them to do well for themselves then soon who owns what becomes irrelevant. Especially as I notice that the children of very many wealthy parents are experiencing very significant problems with overindulgence, inability to handle money or themselves. Not wishing it on them, just observing. We are part of very big families and concentrate on living our lives indifferent to what others do.just a few thoughts.

• He either doesn't understand that money is tight and financial struggles that the majority are going through. In this case, a simple conversation should help.

Or, he is deeply insecure and using those comments such as suggesting you buy things he knows you can't afford, to make himself feel better. In which case you should really have pity on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NiceFella

Being born rich is a terrible teacher in life. It also makes it harder to relate to people. People with large disposable income, it's all about showing that you're wealthy. Totally vacuous in many instances. I think life on easy mode all the time is just not an interesting existence.

I once chatted with a fella who had a very bad workplace accident that almost killed him. He won several million in a settlement and invested his money well. I was reading the paper by myself in a pub and he came over and put a coaster under my pint and we got chatting. He told me his story. And what he told me was actually quite sad. He couldn't get a gf who really liked him, as they only were after his money. He hadn't got many friends that he truly connected with and ones that he had before became sour.

Too much wealth can be alienating and it's not something I'd like to be defined by. Your brothers kids getting all they want will do nothing for them in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lolfox

He is younger than me, parents are still alive but are elderly and I dont want to upset them by falling out. My parents are old and come from a different era and dont realise how much they are spending on material stuff. They wouldnt realise how much the holidays, cars, clothes etc cost so they have no idea that there is an issue and really I want to keep it that way. They do have an issue with them not visiting them much even though they live nearby but thats another issue!

Cousins, Aunts, Uncles have no idea how they accumulated wealth as they have never been told about the property transfer or redundancy so they just believe they have done really well for themselves. My brother and sister in law can be a bit braggy at family events though, I would think they think he is an asshole but nobody says anything to me about it. Their financial luck is not for me to gossip about so I dont talk about it with anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I think a quiet word asking the brother to stop proposing solutions that you can't afford might help.

For some light entertainment, on youtube search for the "Richer than you" comedy sketches by Harry Enfield (probably 1990s). In this the poor sister, always the butt of snide comments, won the lotto and arrived in a new top end Merc.

The funniest of those sketches was when the rich guy was boasting in an hotel, and it turned out that the guy he was boasting to owned the hotel!

The point of these jokes is that the problem is not the normal person but the person trying to make them feel small.

• Advertisement

You sound exactly like my brother!!!! You come across as very smug and a bit niave.

He doesnt have a qualification and worked in a low grade job in a multi national. Years service and wanting to get rid of staff got him the good redundancy not hard work believe me. He was incredibly jammie.

Did you even read my post. We both have average jobs in industries that pay a max and you cant really earn more. After paying the mortgage, childcare and bills we have very little left at the end of the month. We have a nice home, we eat well, kids are looked after well but we nothing left for luxeries. We dont have nice things or clothes. We have to watch every cent and make our money stretch. You may not be aware but thats how it is for alot of families nowadays. Im actually very financially savvy as I have to be. I make a small contribution every month to a pension as its all we can afford at the moment - sadly this will only give us a pathetic pension at the end as my contribution should be way larger, but its all we can afford. If I had 6 figures sitting in savings I wouldnt be struggling would I!!!! A financial adviser unfortunately would be a waste of time for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ella108

I'm still in rental accommodation for past 16 years,I've seen people around me in my circle, buy houses, etc decade ago. I work hard, don't even party or go out to spend on luxuries etc. I don't even drink or smoke, eat mostly home cooked meals. Also, unexpected life circumstances happened ( I had to give some of my career to be a full time carer- which everyone knows doesn't pay, get valued or recognized) When I see posts like this,I feel like to say something so i didn't want to read and run.... like someone said above, if you got a house, you are above a lot of people in terms of financial security. It does bug me sometimes, to see people who have lesser qualifications ( or skills) get better jobs that I do, having struggled for years to get a decent jobs, I'm overqualified for the ones I have worked so far past years. I still try and remain positive as those thoughts about -I could do better - does wear me down...so I hear you.

I know the sketches and yes my situation is kind of similar😂. He was a guy whose catchphrase was ' We're considerably richer than you' and tried to make people feel small. My brother is not that bad just YET, but hes getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭1percent

Fuly agreed re hard work and financial stability not being related to a degree but whatever about getting to to the upper echelons of wealth, getting to financial stability and comfort in Ireland is not out of reach of any irish person I would argue.

I am open to discussion on what financial comfort is but I would say that by the age of 33 it is coupled up with joint income of more than 100k and net asset of 60k (deposit ready or equity in a home plus a few years of pension contributions). I would think that any 18 year old 15 years ago would be there with the right life choices and not have to sacrifice much.

Im sorry I didnt mean to upset you. I know we are lucky to have our house but we have a nice mortgage to go with it. In order to pay our bills we are living a similar life to you and I know how hard it is. It really can get you down living like this. I hope things improve for you. Big hug to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭whitelaurel

sounds like you need to grow up.

--------------------------------------------

Warned: for breach of charter.

Mature, constructive, civil advice please.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

I think you know exactly how I feel! Im glad that you are now much happier.

Maybe you need to grow up yourself giving out insults like that. Im feeling really down about the situation and your comment is not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ella108

Oh you didn't, I just wanted to say things can be greener depending on perspective. On the brighter side,I live in rental accommodation which many people even struggle to get. It's the way of looking at things. You said he's your only sibling. I would try and strengthen relationship without getting financial stuff getting in the way as you mentioned you have kids similar ages etc.

it’s not much of an insult. It’s just the truth, what age are you like? Seriously jealous of your brother cos he’s loaded is just childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭boetstark

Not a nice comment , empathy isnt your strong point.

You dont seem to get it though. Im not actually jealous of him. Im glad hes doing well. The problem is Im sick of him making me feel bad by his comments. Its like he wants me to feel poor that I cant afford various things. Suggestions are made which he knows I cant afford. The car example is only one of these, it happens with smaller things aswell. Its like he gets a kick out of reminding us we are poor compared to them. Its now got to a stage where its hard to let it go over my head.

I’m empathetic when I feel a situation warrants it. Being sulky about your loaded brother is not such a situation. Op has a house and two cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

The only thing I would say is that neither of them are truely wealthy. 200k is a nice sum but not exactly give up work money.

5 houses is nice depending on location but don’t worry. Plenty of stress.

No point comparing. Contentment comes from with in.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭1percent

I was not attacking you just giving my perspective take it or leave it. doesn't bother me.

Smug, ya probably, I'm doing quite well for myself wihout a degree too! But I would no say I'm nieve, I assessed the skills I have and made a plan how to make the most money from them andow to gain even more bankable skills. I know that it is up to me, no-one will bail me out if I mess up and when I do mess up I dig myself out.

Can I ask why you think a FA will be a waste of money? Are you in a financial area yourself so can do it yourself?

Also I wasn't saying that you were in the position I outlined, I was sharing an anecdote about how some people can think they are in bad position but are actualy very strong but could be more eficiant with the money.

Any im off twor in te garden so I don't have to pay a landscaper or gardener.

I probably am just like your brother, if you would like inside into how we think, let me know, I would be happy to share

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@whitelaurel if you would like to continue posting in this forum we ask that you read the forum charter first.

This forum is heavily moderated and breaches of the Charter result in warnings up to and including bans.

Do not reply to this moderator instruction on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

Do you know if your brother is familiar with those Harry Enfield sketches?

If he is, every time he makes inappropriate comments you should joking say "I'm considerably richer than you!" in a thick Brummie accent. By mocking him like this he might get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Times change, circumstances change. Keep up the good relationship with him, his wife & children for the sake of yourselves and your children. You never know when he might give a fig out in a crisis, or arrange some practical assistance. Indeed could be the opposite, depending on how life happens, there are no guarantees in it.

Of course it is demoralising to compare, and it may seem he is lording it over you when he is enjoying his wealth. Yes, in all likelihood he will remain wealthy into the future, and going forward, you will be doing your best to make ends meet, unless you were extremely lucky got a once off lotto win from a modest €2.50 per week as I do. I’m still waiting for the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

OK, that puts some perspective on it. You're the older sister, the elder sibling. So you likely feel a greater duty of care both to him and your aging parents. Perhaps he's regarded as the 'golden boy' who has done well and the fact that he doesn't pull his weight so much with parents is excused by them and likely correctly resented a bit by you.

Have the quiet word with him but remember you're most likely still the boss in terms of family dynamics, with your parents and aunts/ uncles. When family things matter, money is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

For someone to qualify for €200k redundancy for a regular enough job (no qualifications required) it would need to be far more generous than statutory and the worker would need to be near retirement age i.e near 40 years service (from prior calculations for generous redundancies I’ve worked on).

I didn’t get the impression he was that old, is it possible he exaggerated on that at least, for whatever reason.

He had 20+ years service working with a mulitnational. He didnt just get statutory, he got a hefty severance pay on top of it. You may not be aware that multinationals often offer generous redundancies to get rid of people. As I said earlier he was extremely lucky to get this.

I worked for a financial services agency when I was younger. Im not a QFA but I have a good grasp of finance. A QFA will not be able to help us as we have relatively little savings ( which sometimes we need dip into so need easy access), no extra cash to invest, no extra money to put into pension, getting best rate on mortgage and have no other loans to restructure. We have no spare money for a QFA to do anything with. This will hopefully change when we dont have childcare to pay but then we have to start saving for the kids going to college! - a chat with a QFA may be of some use at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Most of the advice so far has been joking about the brother acting like a dick.

But I'm not sure it's all him. Life has its ups and downs. Sometimes people get a bit of luck and things fall in place and they quickly forget what life was like.
    Same for when things are tough and looking up at someone whose life seems to be great.
    You genuinely don't know if they are debt-free, They might actually have 3 credit cards each maxed out and the cars on finance unless you see his bank account each week and why would he show you that? You also don't know if that money will last for ever! Next year, the roof might fall in, The car needs alot of work and that extra holiday pushes them back into a overdraft. They might even have to come to you for advice! The tortoise and hare situation!

You have 2 choices, You can keep being jealous or you can go along in your life living your own life. Try not to worry about it. Roll your eyes at the stupid comments. You probably say some silly things too which you don't even realise that they roll their eyes at. We all do it.

Personally, I have some wealthy friends, Some times they can say silly things. My favorite was when someone needed to pay for a op for his kids ear 6k was needed and my friend said just work harder for a bit! Which is a bit hard on a salary. We called him a knob but in his line of work a few extra Saturdays and he would have it covered. He just didn't know!

Blood is thicker than water and it's not something to fall out over.

Post edited by afatbollix on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP I ask this from a nice place but are you sure he's actually making digs at you & not just you being hyper-aware of the difference in circumstances?

I wouldn't be mad wealthy at all but I would be probably better off than my sister. I have a brand new car (thanks to work) & I was talking to her about electric cars in general & how it would probably be cheaper to run than her car which is continuously having problems that are costing a bit. I wasn't at all having a dig at her but it was actually coming from a good place because ultimately over the years the newer car would cost her less than the repair costs accumulated on her older car.

Also redundancy is not just used to "get rid of someone". It's a hugely costly and onerous exercise for businesses so if he really got that amount, he must have done something to earn it. Stat redundancy is 2 weeks pay per year of service (maxed at €600 per week) plus 1 week. For 20 years that would only come to €25k. I don't know of any multinational that is throwing away an additional €175k per person they're making redundant as standard. I know someone from a multinational that was there for 25 years in a high up job that just about got that figure. So there is definitely something missing there.

Look all you can do is have a word with your brother about how he's very blase with how he talks about money & that it upsets you sometimes because you don't have the same disposable income to just do those things. But I think getting annoyed when he's talking about holidays etc is more a you problem than a him problem realistically. All you can change is your response, not his actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I wouldn't be writing complaints to lady luck just yet, not being able to buy a new car is hardly the poverty threshold. Though wealth is relative.

Definitely have the conversation, people enjoy showing off and lose the track sometimes, he likely doesn't realise that he's hitting on a sore point. Even just checking him once may cool him a bit, next time it happens just say you can't afford something don't laugh it off don't dodge it, make it curt and clear. It encourages a pause and reflection.

Advertisement