Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PJ - Marlay Park - Sat 22 June 24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nicolaf45

literally said the same to my husband last night, he hasnt aged a day alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Anyone know what the song was Eddie Vedder sang after he talked about Shane McGowan and Sinead O Connor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Sorry for jumping in here as going to the Green Day gig this week & only realised that you have to pre-book the parking and its all booked out. Did anyone try to drive up and pay at the gate? Or is there anywhere within a 30 minute walk that I could park in? I had a look at the Marathon Bus service and its last bus leaves Dundrum at 6.30pm, I may not get out of work on time to make that bus.

Happy to walk 30 minutes and pay for parking - but don't wanna be driving around aimlessly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

I parked in the housing estate just up from Wesley college. About a 20 min walk to the gig. It was the last left before the smaller roundabout as you come off the M50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Well spotted! Yeah they changed shirts when they went off just before the encore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭nullObjects

If you're ever stuck setlist (dot) fm is usually on the ball
    We got 7 tracks off Ten, not bad!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/2024/marlay-park-dublin-ireland-5baba798.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ergo

Wow, what a show,  still buzzing after it - can't wait for the bootleg to surface 

Hearing "Release" to open and just thought we could be in for a really great setlist .  5 songs in and I thought maybe they'd ripped up the script and decided to play a greatest hits set!

Then the new stuff came -  I have to say the new material sounded great live and it's a strong album, been getting into it in the past month or so, and many new songs seemed well received.

Highlight was "Black" for me, never heard a bad version of it tbh but it was powerful, especially  after the dedication, and seemed like great crowd involvement.

Eddie's voice sounded perfect too, was wondering how it might be now with none of us getting any younger!
    It's tantalising alright to see the extra song they would've played if they had time but nevermind - hey, as the last poster said, we got 7 tracks off Ten 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Wonder what the game plan from Pearl Jam will be for Europe after this tour. Would hope they come back soon and include Ireland in whatever their plans are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I was surprised how packed the venue was considering it wasn't sold out. Seemed much more crowded than at Weezer/Green Day a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If you are happy enough with that kind of walk then I'd try my luck at nutgrove shopping centre. Either that or look at templeroan or Boden park housing estates.. should be a good bit of space around both on the street.

You have absolutely no chance of just driving up and trying to pay at the gate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I only got a ticket on Friday and drove arriving at 7. Picked an estate nearby and being a solo driver turned in like I lived there. Steward just waved and I was scanning my ticket by 7.10. At exit time the roads are closed, but they just pull back the barriers for anybody leaving. Confidence will get you far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Worst comes to worst, Dundrum shopping centre is less than a 30 minute walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Re. Gold circle.
    I was beckoned in by one of the guys on the wristband check just as PJ were coming on stage to go into the (semi) circle… then lots more walked in - this was at the left side of stage.

There was no way you could see the band due to its position at the top of the slope , if you werent at the barrier - we moved to the side and you could see the band, but you would be a good bit back.
    the view in the circle was excellent.

The Q to get out was a bit stupid, took 25 mins to get out on the Grange rd exit ….

€15 for most of the food , 7.50 for a pint, the toilet to the left of stage was a nightmare.

PJ (not harvey) were on fire…What a gig…. Ed was a bit emotional at the crowd response ?

So different to their previous Euro leg opening gigs of previous year when they were a bit subdued …

My first PJ gig for my son, as i handed him my Slane 93 t shirt to wear….

What a night! …. "We wont leave it so long next time" …

Honourable mention to Rich Ashcroft - great set, great songs, great band with him … What a version of "drugs dont work" !!

Murder Capital - all songs were a bit 'samey' … meh.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

The lad up high on the platform on the left was a PITA, kept repeating his spiel every 5 seconds.

Fella on the right further out was a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kd82

Cracking gig, really good vibe. The opening of Release/Low Light… set the tone for a great night. Loved the visuals on Evolution and bonus Alive/Rockin was the icing on the cake at the end. I find Marlay a pox of a venue so drove up, parked nearby and was an easy in/out after. Home for 12 in Meath. The weather played ball, crowd was up for it, magic magic night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Great gig. I'm currently at a one "big" show per year stage of my life, so was so happy to cash in my credits for Pearl Jam and it was a hell of a show.

As with everything, the weather in Ireland makes such a difference. Having a beer in the sun waiting on a show is one of life's simple pleasures and you could see that on many happy faces Saturday.

Loved the show (staging was poor that you couldn't see the actual band, bizarre set up) but sound was excellent, so that's important thing. Great set too, the new songs sounded great so there wasn't any down time. It was my 3rd time seening Pearl Jam and definitely won't be my last. They are great performers.

Just a very very enjoyable day all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

I'm 6ft 5 and first time in my life not being able to see the band on stage and we moved around a good bit before hand. Its a pity as it was a good show. Great to hear porch and release live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

What a day!

I went into Whelan's on Friday to get my poster and a few other bits, I have a poster from every gig I've been to so like to keep that going. It was great to get that out of the way and not have to even think about it on Saturday. The system they had was a bit convoluted but worked well enough.

We got the Luas out to Ballaly on Saturday and walked down to Balinteer House for a few pints then headed into the venue for about 5. Bar queues were grand then. Sat on the grass in the sun for a few pints and a bit to eat, watched Murder Capital and Richard Ashcroft. Murder Capital were fine, bit shouty? Richard's set was great. Bittersweet Symphony is just class. Then headed into gold circle for the main event. We tried to get a pint before heading in but the queues were out of control by then so just didn't bother.

GC was great, nice and spacious. Had a great view of the band.

What a show!! The Release opener!!! I had a tear in my eye. The first 5 songs were absolutely class, was loving it. I wonder what was going on with Eddie being out of breath and Mike having to do Eruption, he said it was jet lag but hope he's alright, I doubt the smoking helps.

The setlist was definitely more of a greatest hits and paint by numbers affair. I could dissect it or try figure out the logic behind it but why bother, I loved every second and was just happy to be there. It is mad that they didn't play anything off No Code, Binaural, Riot Act, Avocado, Backspacer, Lightning Bolt and even Gigaton.

I thought Setting Sun was oddly placed and would have worked much better being last.

I was sad to see they had Yellow Led on the setlist but I'd say our stupid curfew ruined that.

I went to the jacks during Even Flow, there were people pi$$ing on the fence despite the urinals being empty?!

I was sure one or two of the songs were shortened, missing a verse or missing a generally longer solo/instrumental? Was that just me? Again, probably to do with being short on time.

Highlights: RELEASE x 5, the first five songs, loved the visuals, Wishlist, Jeremy, Upper Hand, Setting Sun, band seemed to be in great form, Alive was anthemic, It was nice having the separate entrance for GC to get your wristband. Weather was great. Sound was great. Eddie's words for topical matters.

Lowlights: RITFW, bar queues, half an hour to get out of the venue but wasn't the worst, still can't believe someone attacked the PA guy. Was hoping for Waiting for Stevie from DM.

All in all, a fantastic day, I was very depressed yesterday, probably from the booze but moreso because it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Is there anywhere to buy the merch that was on sale for the gig? I loved the kaki green t-shirts with the yellow/orange tripes but never got a chance to get near the merch stall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Spud666

If you're struggling to find one I'm doing the Manchester, London and Berlin shows so can pick one up.

Sizing is about right, my size L fits perfectly.

Let me know and we can sort out the logistics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

That's an amazing offer, fair play. Will send on PM now.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Deenie78

I work around the corner from Whelans and was almost putting out offers to get merch for people early last week but held my tongue for some reason … I must have known … got covid, was really ill the rest of week and too sick to make the gig - devo doesn't come close! Sounds like I missed a cracker … am now weighing up the cost of going to Barcelona solo in a couple of weeks … not that it would be anywhere close to a home show … but still …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The curfew was 11, but they only played til 10:45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭Fanirish

the reality is 15 minutes before the curfew is standard. Don’t want to be annoying the residents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

If the curfew, agreed with residents, is 11pm, then they shouldn't have any issues with bands playing up to the curfew. All the bands started later than the posted stage times too which didn't help.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement

they were supposed to be on at 8 too - but didnt come on til 8.30 ish ??

yeah but the noise of 30,000 wandering the streets after 11 etc and risk of fines etc means no one is cutting it too close to the curfew for summer outdoor shows in residential areas. People will complain if it’s a second over.
    look what happened to beyond the pale last year where it’s late night hours got chopped back cause of local resident complaints. That stuff is always a major point of contention with the licence. Enough complaints and marlay will have 10:30 curfew next year.

The 10C email had them scheduled for 8.15 start and according to the official timing it was 8.23

Band Onstage 20:23
    Band Offstage 22:45

Not too bad.

Definitely could've fit in Yel Led!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭lisabiscuit

Anyone know if Phoenix Park is still used for these types of gigs? Think I saw Stone Roses there about 12 years ago. Marley Park is a major headache to get in and out of. It would definitely put me off a gig. It would have to be something like Pearl Jam to bring us back. Saw Arcade Fire and the Pixies a few years back and don't remember the stage set up being so poor? Anyway Pearl Jam were just savage! My first time seeing them and enjoyed every single second!

Phoenix park last used in 2018 for Ed sheeran. 5 year gap before when the killers and Mumford play.
    It just doesn’t work operationally for shows, easier to use aviva or croke park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

it is a headache, but my view on gigs is that you might go once or twice a year, or every couple of years, so if it's someone you want to see, just suck it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Probably wont be back for a good while.

The other European dates sold terribly, the band tried to gouge and it backfired.

I was surprised how packed the venue was considering it wasn't sold out.
    Seemed much more crowded than at Weezer/Green Day a couple of years
    ago.

They sold 95% of the capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Arequipa

If any of you are looking for tshirt etc.... i 'allegedly' bought a few on ali express and they are perfect... allegedly....

just search pearl jam tshirt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Easy fix for that, charge normal prices and/or play arenas, as well as announce early on around September/October (if doing summer gigs). Of course that depends whether their priority is the cash but they aren’t exactly stuck for a few dollars. The O2 was the long rumoured venue for London, not Tottenhams ground, so not sure why the change but overall this tour was terribly managed.

They’re also in a similar predicament to the rest of the old bands in that they’re still top now (although not playing as long as they used to), and so if money is the priority, they need to be hitting the road fairly consistently for the next while.

If they did sell as well as that here though you’d assume they will play Ireland again whenever they’re back.

arenas and normal prices doesn’t work when a band needs a million plus a night.
    they will drop in for summer shows, collect a few million each and go back and spend quality time with the family instead of killing themselves with massive arena tours to meet demand.
    they sold well cause it’s been years since their last show, don’t see them coming back for a good few years. Possibly a Belfast show next summer if still touring the album next festival season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They are hardly killing themselves though, the European tour is just over 3 weeks long.

Then they have 5 weeks off for a US tour of 4 weeks.

They did a 4 week US leg last month with a 3 week break for Dublin.

Thats a pretty easy schedule especially by modern standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Arequipa

I think the touring schedule is designed to suit them at their current ages, lifestyles, family lives...

They can put their heart and soul into fewer gigs, rest...regroup and go again..

It also gives Eddie time to rest his voice and emotionally regroup... he puts a lot of himself into every gig!

the nature of their songs do put a considerable strain on his voice too and he is approaching 60 years old.. i heard his throat was getting sore on the US leg of this tour & didnt he have to cancel shows last year after smoke damage...

PJ are lucky now that they can suit themselves.. can arrange touring, recording, media to keep them happy and sustain them as a band into the future..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

That's an allegedly good steer. How would one allegedly find the sizing if they hypothetically were to try one on?

Also …
    Who designed those circular urinal yokes !?

Stupid things! 🤨

Yes! Silly design. I saw a lot more penis than I wanted to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

Without those the queues for the mens would be unbearable, they'd need tonnes more cubicles and the stench of cubicles after a few rounds of lads using them is horrendous.

I understand that…
    its just they are not very discreet , You wouldnt want to have any shyness!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

Very easy to just not look down if you didn't want to 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

It's the other people looking down that I'd be worried about 😲

Advertisement