Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslim majority Tajikistan bans Hijab.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The difference is that Christians aren't the ones throwing gays off of rooftops.

Not approving of somebody's sexuality isn't the same as murdering somebody for their sexuality.

Typically leftie drivel, western countries, who have been historically Christian have evolved to be less religious and more tolerant of virtually everyone, but because some hard line Christians don't AGREE WITH homosexuality you equate their opinions with the actions of radical Muslims.

All religions are, in my opinion, as waste of time but some are worse than otheoin real measurable ways.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Augme

Typical rightie denial. Uganda has a 13% Muslim population and recently brought in some of the harshed penalties against homosexuals, including the death penalty Thanks to the support of American Christian groups. Can't blame the Muslims for that one unfortunately.

I'm a centrist.

Now disprove the fact that Islamic countries kill homosexuals.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Its scary the lengths lefties will go with lies to deny reality.

One religion kills gays.

One religion doesn't kill gays but thinks it's bad.

Both of these are the same thing apparently.

Jesus prisons would be full if thinking something bad was the same as doing something bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Give McEntee and FG time - they're working on that latter point with their Hate Speech bill.

Anyway, it's wholly ironic that in a country where one religion did massive amounts of damage to this State through dogma and slowing social progression, as well as the personal crimes committed against people and children, that some people see no issue at all with allowing another equally destructive religion to take root.

Even allowing for the point that not all of its adherents follow the more extreme teachings, it has no place in a modern Western country that has largely moved away from religion as a whole.

What's equally ironic is that many of those downplaying these issues would likely be among the first to suffer restrictions and limitations on their hard-won freedoms if they did get their wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Augme

We will agree to disagree on that.

Why dont you comment on the largely Christian country having the death penalty for homosexuals?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Never underestimate what some people will say for social clout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Uganda has no official state religion, and its constitution doesn't allow it to have one. So its laws are NOT based on one particular religion, still less on Christianity.

Try again with a country where christianity is a state religion? Denmark maybe? Norway? the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Apparently my elderly aunt saying after a lesbian friend has left “ah I’ll pray for her” is absolutely the same as beheading or stoning someone.

If mental gymnastics was in the Olympics we’d be top of the medal table in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Candlel

I always suspected Jesus was gay as he never got married and lived with a bunch of men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Babyreignbow

ngl I know sfa about Tajikistan. I am familiar with the destructive, violent and abusive nature of religions and their proponents though. I think we should all be aware of radicalisation movements and how they operate.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Wow!

You are centuries out of place.

The Brit's would have loved your approach though, telling people how to live, what to wear, what god to worship and not to reproduce as it was a drain on the resources they were trying to liberate back to England.

I find the use of "must" inappropriate!

Don't get me wrong, I think in the West it's not socially acceptable to cover One's dial, although there are a few pretty horrendous looking versions about along with some women's use of those tight leggings or whatever that would be doing the population of any country a service if covered.

There were two occasions when someone in the full face covering get up in Birmingham, in the UK did the unexpected. One tried to reverse an SUV into me in petrol station and another totally out of the blue for no reason I could see from behind pulled up in front of me to turn left into a side street. she had to stop and look to the left before turning. I came close to having to fill in two accident forms for other peoples stupid ethnic attitudes that put other road users of all cultures at risk.

Now I don't know if it's illegal to drive with the vision restricted like that, but if not it should be.

As for the legality generally, it's a difficult one. I think people should have the right to dress the way they want, but really It's hard to justify laws that disallow clobber that prevents a persons features being seen and then prosecuting people for indecent behaviour if they decide to let all their "features" be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Any government decreeing what people can and cannot wear is nothing to celebrate, no matter what your feelings about religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

The irony is those who think the ban is a good thing probably see themselves as liberal and tolerant people and agree with the ban because it goes against religion which they disagree with.

I'm sure most religious extremists are also equally tolerant of those who share their viewpoint.

I think banning it just increases their cause and leads to more radicalisation., no different to any other religion there would be a resistance. A little like the what you resist persists theory. The same could be seen in Ireland during the covid years when the churches were temporarily put on pause. The fundeys came crawling out of the woodwork claiming their rights were being violated and it was all portrayed as a fight between good and evil, them and everyone else, us and ye.

It's divisive and leads to greater radicalisation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/10/23/double-murderer-yousef-palani-jailed-for-life-for-attacks-on-gay-men-spurred-by-hostility-and-prejudice/

The court also heard that while Palani told gardaí that his religion forbids homosexuality, investigators were satisfied that he was not radicalised. Palani told gardaí in interviews that Muslims could not be homosexual and vehemently denied being gay, despite using gay dating apps.

Det Gda Jordan said there is no evidence Palani, who is a Muslim, was radicalised “despite some suggestions to the contrary”. The Garda also praised the Islamic and immigrant community for their assistance in the investigation.

Uganda fits all the criteria as a failed state, that law is disgusting but is hardly something that can be solely credited to the influence of Christianity alone.

I think you know you're reaching here. We all know Islams attitudes to many things we take for granted in the West is to move backwards socially.

You can disagree with my centerism if you like, to you everyone is a fascist.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Mmm. Could well be why he avoided the subject. 😁

That those bad catholics in the west of Ireland told a peaceful muslim that he should do like we traditionally do in Ireland and throw gays from high buildings, or, if no high buildings are handy, chop their heads off?

(Seperately from that, what I really want to know about Palani is what happened about the large sum of money found in the family's house - did nobody try to trace its origin?)

you said

No religion kills gays. some countries do.

Do you want to argue that this is not the case and that Yousef Palani was acting with full autonomy?

Religion kills people every day and when they're not kllling them they are abusing them.

I don't believe for a second that religion killed those men. They were killed by a murderer who tried to blame his religion for his horrendous acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I agree to an extent, do you think most women choose to wear them or are forced to?

Tbh, I honestly don't know. I know women and girls who say they choose to wear them, some I believe, others I'm not so sure.

I don't believe anyone should be forced into something they don't wish to do, and I don't think any government should get to decide what clothes people do or do not wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Women are forced to wear all manner of rubbish, it's nothing to do with culture, just intelligence or the lack thereof.

You only have to see the marketing of smelly grease and water emulsions to realise that anyone would not choose to buy the stuff of their own free will, they have to be bombarded with pictures over and over again.

When I were a lad, I used to wear the knees of my trousers out, my mother patched them in those days but I guess the skills are rare now and clothes very cheap.

It was not comfortable having gaping holes in One's trousers. The fashion statement was of no concern, but no way would the holes get anywhere near what you see women walking around in these days. The temperature differential at the kneecaps plus the discomfort as the perimeter of the material strained against skin when sitting was an irritation that couldn;t easily be ignored.

Who in their right mind would put up with the discomfort out of choice?

Unless it's a ploy for handouts, they must be forced into wearing the things. Brainwashing or hypnosis, but forced nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Shoog

Religion has a long proud history of killing those who disagree with it. That's all religions. Religion is the root of much of the evil in the world (evil is a uniquely religious term so as an atheist I make the rare exception of using it here).

Anyone who is an apologist for any religions vile acts of oppression is in deep deep denial.

Advertisement