Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats shot by neighbour

Options
  • 23-06-2024 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

All 3 of my cats have been shot with a moderate powered air rifle over the past 5 years. I've paid out over 800eur patching my cats up, and a few other cats in the neighbourhood haven't been so lucky. Everyone knows who it is, but we cant convict without proof. Anyone have any ideas on how to catch this scumbag before any other cats get hurt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,812 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

An air rifle is considered a firearm in Ireland. Any idea if the owner has a license? Could always give the gardai a bit of a tip off if you think he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Go to the cops, they will see if he has a licence and prosecute if he hasn't. Do your vets bills give an idea of what caused the injuries? Is it consistent with an air rifle?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

They only require a licence if the velocity is over one joule AFAIK.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Most air rifles bought into this country are over one joule.

I would go to Gardai OP.

I have no idea about what's bought into the country, I commented on the law as far as I know it stands and was just letting the poster I quoted know you don't need a licence for all air rifles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭LetticebCivil

<quoted post snipped>

Who pissed on your cornflakes?

Post edited by DBB on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The 1 joule limit applies to Airsoft. Those fire a plastic ball BB weighing 0.2g at approx 320fps. The impact of a BB will sting, but it won't break skin and is unlikely to cause lasting harm.

Actual air rifles that fire lead or composite pellets which will kill vermin and small game all fire at many multiples of the 1 joule limit. The standard rifle is usually 12ft/lbs, which is approx 17 joules. This is the limit below which Air Rifles in the UK are "unlicensed". As Ireland is a small market for Air Rifles, most dealers source stock via UK so most air rifles licensed in Ireland are 17 joules at a minimum, with a lot of more powerful rifles in circulation as "FAC" (Firearms Certificate) rated in UK are used as a matter of course.

Don't fall into the trap of Airsoft = Air rifle, especially as airsoft can't fire steel BB at a velocity hich enough to cause harm without serious modification.

To the OP, if your cats have been wounded by an Air Rifle or if you suspect they have? Report it to the Gardaí. If any of your cats have suffered a penetrating injury? Your Vet will be able to support any report.

Master of the Universe

Then it's not an air rifle, it's an airsoft gun. An airsoft gun won't be doing this kind of damage to a cat, take it from someone who's been getting shot with them on a regular basis since 2006 😁

If cats are being killed/seriously maimed then it has to be shooting over 1 joule and is either a very high powered airsoft gun or else an air rifle that fires lead pellets.

In both situations they'd need a license. So the Gardai should definitely be contacted.

Best way to find out what they're being shot with is to see what type of projectile is ending up in the cats.

I was just going by what the guidelines say. "Crossbows, spearguns and all airguns with a muzzle velocity of over 1 joule (including paintball markers) are legally considered firearms and have to be licensed. You should apply for a firearms certificate in the normal way." https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/31d35-firearms-your-questions-answered/

• Advertisement

I know the difference, I have them myself and have felt the pain as well!

Master of the Universe

The OP said 'Air rifle', which is a specific type of firearm that shoots lead pellets. Which would be make sense if cats were being injured/killed. These need a license.

'Airgun' mentioned in the Criminal Justice Act 2006 sounds similar but there's some nuance in the terminology around all of this as it also covers airsoft, which if it's under a joule, does not need a license.

By the sounds of things it sounds like someone local to the OP has an Air Rifle which is either legally licensed (and he's using it for illegal purposes) or an unlicensed illegally owned Air rifle.

Either way, I'm sure the Gardai would be interested. Have you spoken to them OP?

Master of the Universe

Ah no worries, I've just spent an inordinate amount of time explaining the difference to people over the last decade and a half, the auto pilot tends to get engaged 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

<Quoted post snipped>

I take it you go round smashing those massive French windows and other types of glazing that kill thousands of birds because they fly into them? Far more wild birds are killed by humans in various ways than by cats. Wind farms are another massive danger to them. Wouldn't want to be hypocritical about caring for birdlife, would we?

Sorry, OP, I don't know anything about the law in that regard, but I'm really sorry that's happened to your poor cats. How horrible for them, and you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭beachhead

Not true.Over 500 million birds worldwide are killed each year by various predators excluding humans.Human killers are wat down the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So sorry to hear this OP.

Hope the Garda catch whoever it is that Is doing it. They sound like animal haters.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Intuitive

Do you know why your neighbour shoots the cats? Is it when they enter their property? Do they do it for "fun"? Or are the cats causing harm etc? Can you keep the cats away somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I wonder this as well. I have a nice picnic area - pergoda, and cats are damaging the cushions and the decks. Why is this happening? Can you stop the cats going there somehow?

Master of the Universe

A well placed water sprinkler could sort them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭antfin

It's frustrating to have a neighbour who doesn't control their pet and allows it to defecate freely outside of their property or damage other peoples property but you'd have to be more concerned about having another neighbour who thinks it's OK to shoot those pets! It's not the action of someone with a right-thinking mind and certainly not someone that should be in possession of a weapon so I'd echo the comments that it should be reported to the Gardaí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Kurooi

You should bring it up with Gardai. At least if anyone catches him in the act they can't act like this is news or an isolated incident. They should be aware there is someone out shooting cats. If this is a pattern they will have to trace it down.

You could band together with some neighbours bring it up with SPCA or local animal charities. They may have suggestions on how you can resolve this, it is a serious act of animal cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

So here's the thing. If the cats are causing a nuisance, property damage, or livestock damage etc do they fall into the Vermin category?

Also: Why are your pets roaming outside your property? Your cats are basically apex predators, in an Irish setting. The damage they do to, necessary, rodent and bird populations is horrific

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Master of the Universe

Fairly sure cats fall under the 'Protection of Animals' act, you cant just go around shooting them like rats.

Cats are , surprisingly, not bound by our laws. They can go and do as they please they don't "trespass" or "cause property damage" they're just cats. And owning them is legal.

Animal cruelty is a crime. And this clearly is intended to cause as much pain as possible to the animal for the kick of it.

I can't believe there are people on the other side of this issue. Get yourselves checked out.

Master of the Universe

A lot of Irish people have a strange relationship with cats. My own theory is it's some sort of left over from our superstitious past in this country that's just carried down generationally.

The amount of people who've told me they 'hate cats' without having ever really interacting with them is a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Keep your cats in problem solved, they are your cats not the whole neighbourhoods cats!

Must be a good life, having so few worries and so much time that you obsess with cat poop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Sprinkling paprika or chili powder around the area is supposed to help. They don't like the smell of it.

One of our neighbours cats had a habit of coming into our garden to poop, very annoying when you are pregnant and have small children. I used to shake the paprika where the driveway meets the grass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement