Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Last time I used it you needed to input the horizon on a plot… a little bit tricky without a theodolite from the vantage-point of the panels, if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

OK! But sadly my phone is too thick to use dioptra.

But yeah, thanks for the pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Hi All,

Have solar installed since February 23, delighted with it(4.8Kwp south facing). But I have been toying with the idea of retrofitting a hybrid inverter and battery (I've seen a deal of 2200 for a 5kwh battery and 5kw hybrid inverter). So I was looking to check my pre-solar electricity usage against post solar (to examine the ROI), but my ESB networks account only goes to June 22 and I dont have access to my previous supplier portal to get older data.

I was hoping someone here might know a way to get access to that data? and maybe give a few pointers to me regarding the retrofitting! (I have no issues with self-install)

BTW not looking to DIY the battery, its going to live in my attic so I want a fairly robust set-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

If you’ve no battery but have an EV and can load shift other stuff to cheap night rate (dishwasher, washing machine, immersion), you might find a smart tariff (on a smart meter) is really cheap! Download your HDF file from ESB portal, upload to https://energypal.ie/ and it tells you the tariff rate you should move to.

I paying ~8c from 2am-6am on Energia and ~33c the other 20hrs. And get ~25c export on FIT. If I use the bulk of my energy during that 4 hours…you can see the benefit.

Another option is DIY more panels yourself and ignore the battery. Assuming the inverter can take more, that will be inexpensive. Cost of panels is under 80 quid each at mo. Need rails too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Unfortunately that data is gone when you switch supplier.

You could get your use from your bills but won't provide the profile unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Hmmm you're lucky, my esbn account only goes back to March 2023, maybe I'm missing something?

Im trying to do the same ROI calcs as you.

For me on installation a battery couldn't be justified as as it was an extra 6k for a hybrid and 10kW battery. The FIT is too good at the moment but I know that will fade at some stage, but for me it makes sense as I'm paying .2344 buying from the grid and selling for .2 cents. I also work from home so the EV rate plans didn't make sense because of the high cost outside of the 4 hour window at night.

That's a great deal of 2200 for hybrid and 5kW battery. I'll also DIY the inverter and battery if FIT gets hammered down in the years to come. Curious to see how you get on, good luck with it.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

We've decided to rename this thread to something a little bit more inviting to newcomers and have pinned it too so that it is easier to find.

We'll merge beginner threads as they appear into here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭FrankN1

I have a smart thermostat and can turn on boiler to heat water using gas. Should I still get the eddi for the hot water?

Short answer no.

It's cheaper to use the gas as normal and export the excess electricity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dermo999

Question for a newbie - system in since earlier in the week - and getting familiar with the apps etc.

I have charge from grid configured on alphaess app for the battery, between 0200 and 0500 - for cheap rate. However at the moment (8.30pm) it still seems to be pulling from grid to recharge the battery, so not sure why it would do that? Any help to understand be much appreciated.

Thanks!

dw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Im not sure about the software but the second charge window looks a good place to start. It looks like it is set to charge for a 24 hour window. And window 1 is from 2-5am.

Perhaps try setting window 1 to 2-4am and window 2 to 4-5am just to test it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

Nothing wrong with how its configured at the moment - only thing i would do is change discharge cutoff from 10 to 11. Weird bug/issue in Alpha if below 11 it can fully discharge down to 2-4% but set at 11 then it won't discharge below that.
    As for the charging issue you'd be far better submitting a service ticket to AlphaESS via the App/website

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dermo999

Thanks. I have jumped in and opened a ticket on the AlphaESS web site to try and understand more. Appreciate the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Hi there, complete noob here just getting quotes from a few different suppliers and will hopefully install in July.
    We are high users of electricity, no oil, no gas, underfloor heating, air to water, EV. We currently use nearly 20,000KWH per annum.

We are looking at a 8.6kW system (18 panels), a hybrid inverter and a battery.

Is this the optimum system or should we go bigger?? Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

With that high of consumption, you should go as high as you can fit/afford

But what does that mean Eleusis? 25 panels? 50 panels? Does the cap on the inverter make it pointless to go too high?

Well you will have to stay in inverter limits, and possibly ESBN limits unless you want to go down the nc7 route (extra cost)

You'll be chatting about 8-9kW of panels on a 5kW inverter.

Start to get quotes and see what's out there

Thanks Graememk. So we are looking at about 20 x 420w panels, about 8.5 KWH?

The inverter size seems non-negotiable. What size battery?

Yeah the inverter is based on the ESBN form that is sent in.

No limit* on batteries, there is off the shelf at about 1-1.5k for off the shelf ready to go, 2-2.5 for 15kwh kits, and then full DIY is cheaper than the lot.

*Well there could be some practical limits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭bleaks

Sorry if this has already been answered or discussed folks, but is the flogas solar offer a good deal in the market at the moment?  4 kWp solar offer and a post-work BER for only €4,800

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

..do you have to use the official app that corresponds with the make of your inverter (Renac) or is there a way of trying other monitoring apps….

I'd like more statistics…. Renac's app is basic

Here's one I don't know much about. Our roof has a bit of Moss. What do PV Panels do to help or make this issue worse?

Panels are glass so won't get moss growing on them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭con747

I would be thinking the poster means will the moss grow out of control under the panels and so forth but could be wrong. I know my roof had moss on it when the panels went up a couple of years ago and I haven't noticed any difference in growth. If anything I would hope the panels help stop the moss from freezing in winter and expanding causing damage to tiles.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Yeah it was more so the what's going on below the panels with moss growing under then. Should I get the roof cleaned and treated before putting up the panels. Does the shade give rise to extra moss on the sides that usually don't get it (it's normally on the north side as it gets the least sun)

It can't grow under the panels. There won't be a source of light (the panels will be stealing the photons to make the electrons jump 😀 ) nor a source of nutrition either, and a reduced supply of rainwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I may be blind but I thought there was a thread on the best energy suppliers to move to if you've solar with batteries and an EV charger and will sell back to the grid, can anyone point me towards it?

• Advertisement

TLDR, get an EV tariff with a cheap night rate of X hours (X you need to do the maths on). Pinergy have 2 hours, some have 3, Energia have 4 (which I'm on). Load shift + charge everthing during that slot. Then export solar during the day.

This isn't on the renewable forum but still valid:

Or search boards for 'energypal.ie' and look at the newest. To use that, go to myaccount.esbnetworks.ie and download the HDF file (assuming you've a smart meter). Upload to energypal.ie and it will recommend a tariff. You might need to tweak the data to pretend you're already loadshifting - but try it first

Advertisement