Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 2024 AH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭randd1

Worse than us. We've been in 6 tournaments, got through the first round in 4 of them.

Of these ones we didn't progress past the first round, in our first one ('88) gave a great account of ourselves, beat England, drew with USSR (who got to the final) and lost to Holland (who won the tournament).

And the one we were 5hite in, we were in a group with the winners of the previous 3 international tournaments and eventual finalists Italy and Spain (who happened to be one of the greatest international sides of all time), and a very strong Croatian team that drew with Italy and only lost by a goal to Spain in games they had their chances in (if I recall correctly). Quite possibly, the hardest possible draw in tournament soccer at the time.

Scotland, meanwhile, have been in 12 Tournaments in their history, and never got past the first round.

Now that's 5hite.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is baffling with Scotland, when you look at the talented players that have donned the shirt especially back in the 1950s - 1980s. Some great results in the qualifying groups too over the years, against top teams.

For Italia 90 they qualified ahead of France and Norway. Still didn't get out of group, beat Sweden, narrow defeat to Brazil but mugged by Costa Rica.

In 1986, failed to beat a (dirty and negative) 10 man Uruguay, even with Alex Ferguson as coach (having stepped in for the late Jock Stein). It was a very tough group with West Germany and Denmark, but it all came down to that match v Uruguay.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Historically, yes. But i mean fottballing terms today, how that side beat Spain not so long ago is a mystery. I know they have some injuries, but for a team, who needed a win last night to play so badly & negatively is both a reflection on Steve Clarke & quality of the players

Historically, yes. But i mean fottballing terms today, how that side beat Spain not so long ago is a mystery. I know they have some injuries, but for a team, who needed a win last night to play so badly & negatively is both a reflection on Steve Clarke & quality of the players

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PatFitzy

RTE Maloney

I saw him point to the spot! repeated this claim as if fact.

Ref was right behind play & would have seen Armstrong not even able to touch the ball (pause screen and slide play tab in slow if doubt) but deliberately move leg to the defender & grab his shirt , not remotely a penalty.

A foul by Armstrong ,no penalty 100% correct call.

Problem with a lot of ex footballers chosen for commentary is they are not up to that task. Ronnie great player terrible commentator.

• Advertisement

Ronnie,Ray terrible, not sure what got in to Cunningham the other night. Sounded like he was off his t!ts.

I'll tell you who is a top nothc commentator, Alan Cawley. Whether it's LOI or anything else, always great to listen to. Adrian Eames would also be the best main commentator they have by a country mile

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PatFitzy

RTE Main sports page- see

video highlights & pause at 1.19 for Armstrong lack of control & cynical play!

if anything more of a credible penalty claim for Hungary 46 seconds away from collision incident, McGinn is clearly shirt pulling outside & carries on inside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭standardg60

Italy were so poor the last game I fully expect Croatia to dominate and win this

• Registered Users Posts: 68,553 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Second string Spain 1 up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭waynescales1

So Ray houghton doesn’t know the difference between a hand and a shoulder.

certain peno according to the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"It's come off his shoulder" says Ray.

Clearly shows it coming off his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Absolutely no one thought that hit his shoulder except for Ray and Steve Wonder.

Drama! Beautiful ball by Sucic.

I remember saying in the last thread here about the last Euros that you gotta love Modric.

Well, you still gotta love Modric.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

MODRIC REDEEMS HIMSELF

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Croatia take the lead after the missed penalty.

I’m watching it on BBC for the one reason being he is on the mic.

Italy will probably squeeze through to the next round with 3 points anyway. Not enough jeopardy in this 24 down to 16 format.

Sacrilege. The ref booked Modric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭standardg60

What is the story with throw ins being taken nowhere near where the ball went out anymore? Players just walking up the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,553 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

OMG Croatia!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

LAST EQUALISER, WHAT A FINISH!!!!

Some scenes there

Heartbreak for Croatia!

Nice finish.

Ah ffs

Calafiori looks a good footballer, can see him playing for a top European side in the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Croatia going home, shame but they're just an old team now.

Commentator was absolutely laying it on thick about how amazing Croatia are in the final few minutes. It was pure curse of the commentator stuff - he must have had a bet on the Italians.

• Advertisement

Sickening for Croatia, but you have to love the drama.

Advertisement