Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭hometruths

Good point, not sure how it would work in practice.

I was sort of assuming that if we have a population of 7m, with proportionally less children, then presumably the children will be replaced by proportionally more adult tax payers.

The thinking is that we will converge with the Euro average, and they seem to get along swimmingly with this arrangement, so perhaps the change in demographics means our tax rate will converge with the euro average as well, might even see our taxes go down! Hurrah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

you can have the same fertility rate and yet a reduced house formation size. Your assumption is both parents live together which is not necessarily always the case.

Correct, not always the case - about 15% of children live in a single parent household.

But if our fertility remains the same the majority of couples who have children will continue to have at least two or more children.

So even if the parents live apart the same fertility rate will struggle to generate more 1 or 2 person households than 3 person households.

The only way to converge with European averages of household size is to also move closer to European average fertility rates.

Unless you know of another way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Do working families have more, less or equal amounts of children vs non-working families? Non working families would mean neither parent works.

As the cost increases to raise a family, i would expect that working families will have fewer children, not more.

I don't know to be honest, but probably non working families have more children I'd guess.

The projections are based on everybody having fewer children, so yes definitely you'd expect working families to have fewer children.

But in order to have a majority of 1 and 2 person households it seems likely the majority of couples will have to go from having 2 children to having no children.

Assuming the majority of parents continue to stay together, a one child family is a three person household. You obviously cannot have 0.2 of a child.

• Advertisement

They are accounting for the deficit that already exists and that by 2030, we would be 10% above the National Planning Strategy in terms of population. 5.9 million vs the plan of 5.3 million, which we have already exceeded.

Also, ireland's average household size is 2.6 persons; Way above average for europe, due to the fact that over 85% of our housing stock is actual houses, rather than apartments.

Apartments only seem to get built in Dublin.

Oddly, to calculate the deficit they used average household size of 2.4, not the actual household size.

A positive was they recommended that future building prioritised 1 and 2 person units rather than 3 bed

well to use the actual wouldn’t be an accurate way to calculate demand as actual will include all the people living at home trying to find a place to buy but can’t because of the lack of supply. To use the actual you would be underestimating what is needed.

Obviously they weren't trying to calculate demand as in market demand, people trying to find a place to buy etc, they were specifically trying to calculate the deficit in the housing stock required to accommodate housing need for the population as at April 2022.

They stress this repeatedly eg:

Base housing policy on an assessment of the housing required for a well-functioning society.
    This should not be conflated with market demand or construction sector capacity.

So they have ignored how many houses are required based on the actual average household size of 2.74, and instead calculated how many houses are required for an assumed preferred household size of 2.4.

The assumption obviously is that an average of household size of 2.74 does not make for a well-functioning society.

You're correct that much of the assumption rests on the fact that there are elevated numbers of adults living with their parents, but given our demographics, it would also appear to suggest that in this presumed well functioning society of 2.4 AHS, that a large proportion of those people with 2 or more children under 18 would prefer to have had less children, or that they would prefer not to live with them.

That seems a stretch to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

£200 to £250 was the going rate for a small single room in a decent house in Galway in 1999, back when you had to queue on Church Lane outside the Galway Advertiser offices to get a copy of the list of rooms available adds at lunchtime on Thursday before the paper even went to print.

Rent has definitely outpaced general inflation but your €300pm in 2015 would have represented stagnation for a decade and a half so I'm not surprised it went up quickly as soon as it could.

Post edited by alias no.9 on

• Advertisement

Yeah separated parents choose not to live with there kids…that’s why the family courts have so much capacity and totally back up your opinion….. Ireland is no longer like Glenroe maybe you haven’t noticed.

Eh? I've no idea what you're getting at, but whatever it is you've got the wrong end of the stick, and if that's my fault for phrasing something badly, apologies.

I'm certainly not suggesting Ireland is like Glenroe, no idea where you got that idea.

Yes. But the problem is that apartments are just not wanted, nor are they cost effective, in large parts of rural ireland.

Its had to see apartments taking hold outside of the cities, therefore 3 bed houses etc will still be supplied I expect.

Local govt in Dublin apprently looking to increase property tax from 2025, after the GE.

Will Dublin see any tangible benefit to the increased tax or simply lose the central funding of services as an offset?

I am going to go with the latter.

I expect you're right. We will indeed continue to build more 3 bed houses than apartments.

But it makes a mockery of the entire thing. The whole 235k deficit thesis is predicated on the underlying household size being 2.4 - i.e there are far too many people who are currently living in households of 3 or more who would prefer to live households of 1 and 2.

That's a flimsy enough thesis as it stands, but building 3 bed houses for that mystery demographic takes us to a whole new level of lunacy.

Post edited by hometruths on

Conor Skehan again refusing to toe the line in today's Indo:

As with the previous property crash, over‑supply is again being driven by the ever-increasing predictions of demand emanating from property sector boosters.

These distorting effects will be revealed at the same time that the failure of excessive government interventions become apparent.

So what does a slow puncture look like?

Housing becomes a mixture of unaffordable inner-city rentals, unwanted suburban apartment developments and growing numbers of ever-more distant commuter settlements.

In the larger centres, prices will stagnate as supply overshoots and demand is diluted.

Prices in suburban areas will stabilise — or stagnate, depending on your perspective — with many retirees finding themselves unable to afford to downsize and unwilling to share with the next generation.

Offered a choice between a crash and a slow puncture, the drama of a quick, if painful, collision with reality at least offers the hope of galvanising us into effective action.

Slow punctures emerge gradually — unnoticed and often denied until it is too late.

And this makes the causes more difficult to fix. Few heeded the warning of the 2007 crash; nobody even cares about the threat of a puncture.

Not the first time, he is raising a warning flag about the threat of oversupply if the highest numbers bandied about are built out. I suspect he'll be lambasted for daring to voice such an opinion, people will immediately dismiss his thoughts because he is an unpopular and divisive character, long before they pause to consider whether or not there is any merit in his warnings.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/conor-skehan-house-prices-will-fall-but-is-a-slow-puncture-better-than-a-crash/a1088459636.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Not sure, but perhaps the equivalent or nurses and police officers engaged in bizarre dance performances in their thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

3.8% rise in asking prices in Q2

sale price increase maybe not as much, but still sign of prices rising

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/house-prices-rise-by-3-8-per-cent-in-second-quarter-of-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

We are back in the territory of a house making more than the majority of people at work - Dangerous times

So many factors coming together at the same time, with the government throwing petrol on the flames with subsidies for developers and buyers and party members blocking new supply while others using the planning system as an extortion racket directly robbing from first time buyers

We are where we are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Properties guiding at €320,000 are routinely selling for €350,000 simply because the buyer is under time pressure due to a notice to quit,” said managing director of REA McGee, Anthony McGee.

Yeh, renters paying nose-bleed rents are managing to find an extra 30k down the back of the couch 'cos they're getting evicted…🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Only if they are cash buyers, if they are financing the purchase, they are presumably still within their mortgage approved amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

If they bid 30k more than the asking price then thats the market price. We went more than that over. Every house that we didnt win on we were also bidding 50k or more over asking, yet they all went for more.

I love the way people write about the landlords selling up yet dont write about why and didnt write about the elephant in the room when rent controls were introduced, or even when they were "enhanced".

Its almost like the media are afraid to print facts and research.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

EA's are also purposely under-pricing properties so more FTBs are encouraged to bid on it and a bidding war ensues and the actual (secretive) asking price is surpassed.

They are serving their client well in that case, I suspect few properties have an actual/secretive price (I’m not sure what that is), at which vendors sell even if people are willing to bid more. Most, if not all sellers see advertised guide price as just that, a guide, the actual selling price will be whatever the highest bid is, usually.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

Is it legal for EAs to to do this though? Myself and my OH are after purchasing a house after spending months involved in some astronomical bidding wars (30% or more over the asking price in some cases).

The house we have bought seemed to be priced high when we went to view, but when we spoke to the EA she was insistent that houses should almost always sell within a 10% margin of the asking. Cases that go above are down to incompetence or unscrupulous practice by the EA and they should be reported to the PSRA she insisted, and was pretty indignant about it.

Initially we thought she was trying to foist some sort of EA trickery on us, but after going back and forth with the bidding process we went sale agreed for around 9% over the asking price. TBH I'm still scratching my head a bit, wondering if we just so happened to be dealing with one of the few honest EAs in Ireland 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I called into a friend at the weekend who lives in Westmeath.

They are paying €950 pm for a 4 bed house. Its a fantastic house. just outside the town and about half an acre of a garden surrounding it. I think it would probably sell for €450k. Twice that if it was in Dublin.

They have been in the house about 10 years. Their landlord recently asked them to do or pay for some of the garden maintenance themselves. cut the grass themselves basically because it was costing him too much to get someone in to do it as he always has.

They were clever and knowing he could only put up the rent 2% said to just add the cost of the grass to the rent instead.

They were surprised that their landlord has now issued them notice to move out as they are selling. They were raging about it so i sat down with them and did some quick beer mat very rough calculations to show them that the landlord would be stupid to hang on to that house. I believe they built it to live in but had to go abroad to work and havent come back yet, but plan to at some point.

So lets say the house is worth €450k (no idea if they have a mortgage or how much or how much tax they pay, but doesnt really matter).

They can continue to receive €950pm upping it by 2% per year. Or sell it and buy 2 apartments in Dublin (for either the cash or mortgages with the same value as the outstanding mortgage if they have one) and rent them out for €2000 (give or take) each pm.

€950pm against €4000pm for switching up the money tied up in that house. I know what I would be doing. Well actually I would be buying ETFs not rentals, but you get what i mean.

This couple still cannot see why their landlord is nuts not to sell. They think the landlord should be happy with what he has and leave them be. And they are already talking about overholding and not actually looking for somewhere to live for their family in the time they have to look, which is a long time to be honest.

The reality is that its a sh!t investment for their landlord and they should be looking at better options.

My own sister just sold an investment property and bought an apartment in Spain for similar reasons. Better use of the invested capital.

Eh, the EA doesn’t set the selling price, the market does, how could it possibly be illegal for a vendor/EA to advertise a price in an ad? Cases that go above asking do so because buyers keep bidding higher amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

I don't see how you come to the underpricing conclusion, given prices are up double digits percentage wise in many markets in 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A few properties I've bid on this year have had 6/7/8 different people bidding on them. Have sold for between 70k & 120k over asking price. One of those was a record sale for a house in the area (by 50k). That would indicate that they are being under-priced to me.

These aren't 320k houses selling for 345k. It's 350k houses selling for 420k and 470k. Not all houses in the market in similar areas are increasing that much. some are 350k houses going for 370k/380k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Hilarious, your friends are so arrogant!! They were already getting it for next to nothing yet Karma came to bite them.

I hope the government will implement more stringent actions to deal with these chancers who overhold. If that will roll out, we will see a less toxic rental market out there which will work better for everyone.

Living the life

Advertisement