Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier beats a woman unconscious, gets a great reference from his commanding officer, avoids jail.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah totally agree that’s how it will happen - and isn’t it such a shame that such efforts need to be made in order to achieve a “fair” sentence that’s in line with what the legislation called for. IMHO, sentence in this case couldn’t possibly be adhering to any sentencing guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Definitely a shame that such efforts need to be made in order to achieve a fair sentence. To the outside world now it looks like we have a sense of mob rule and the blame for it lies at the feet of the judge

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

Well you are 100% wrong on what I'm saying and you have made it very clear you are completely misinterpreting what I'm typing so I will spell it out for you.

I'm not stating it's her fault in fact I never said that not once those are YOUR WORDS not mine.

'is that by her intervening, the perpetrator was given a reason to attack the lady'

Again your words not mine. I never once said this! I did say several times if you approach a drunk erratic person expect them to react in a drunk erratic way. I never once mentioned fault or 'reasons' YOU DID!

How can you say I made a point six times and still completely miss it entirely??

It's very obvious you have no understanding of martial or combat sports as if you did you would understand very clearly there is a unwritten rule in all of them. ALL OF THEM. If you can avoid confrontation you do. You only get involved with someone unless 100% necessary and there is no other option. Someone drunk shouting nonsense and slurs on the street is not reason to get involved with them it just isn't.

The irony is it's you victim blaming. Your first sentence is 'the perpetrator can argue he was provoked' Again your words not mine! : )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Nobody here, not one person, has said that someone being beaten shouldn't be helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭animalinside

On the contrary it'd be the proof for him of how awful countries like Ireland with open-borders immigration policies and a political class that thinks they're above right-wing ideas become. He did a full episode condeming Ireland's ruling class on his twitter around the time of the fires in Dublin.

Tucker has long traversed both sides of the political spectrum but has a reputation of being very right-wing. This would be low-hanging fruit to show him as being the defender of women and show being right-wing isn't about going around hating women rights. The lad's case is indefensible and Carlson would have a field day. Keep in mind that right-wing ideology is also about keeping thugs off the street while left-wingers traditionally want to give them more chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

Usual stupid analogies on this thread. The Irish Prison Service is a separate entity to the Courts Service of Ireland so this garbage about the judges not locking people up because there is no prison space is just the usual Irish pub talk, 'I heard it off a fella who's cousin works in the jail/guards/courts', lol. Prisons are full of non violent drug offenders and I work with lots of them on release.

We always had a violence problem but our courts and ruling classes decided that drug offenses are more worthy of serious punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hang on, dont strawman me.

At no point did I ever say that you said it was her fault. So dont try to win points by claiming I said that and then debunking it. Because I never said it.

I did describe you argument as follows:

that by her intervening, the perpetrator was given a reason to attack the lady.

there is a very thin line between these two approaches.

with, in both case, the victim being held responsible for the attack.

You are 100% saying, that by intervening she put herself at risk. She brought herself to the attention of the perpetrator. You cant say that, and then not also say that the outcome was a result of choices she made.

Which is victim blaming. That is 100% what you are doing here. 1000%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think questions now need to be asked around sentencing guidelines - there’s no point in having all of these laws if judges just ignore them and make up their own minds based on the cut of your jib or some other subjective bias.

While people can “outrage” about the judge, I think we need a deeper understanding of their decision making process - there’s been too many overly lenient sentences going back decades now- this story will only be replaced by the next lenient sentence story in a few weeks or months from now and nothing will change. I reckon FG will make it a big election issue - it’s right up their street

'You are 100% saying, that by intervening she put herself at risk. She brought herself to the attention of the perpetrator. You cant say that, and then not also say that the outcome was a result of choices she made'

This might come as a huge surprise to you but we all have to live by the outcomes of the choices we make in life (this isn't 'victim blaming' BTW it's simply reality and a fact of life)

Every single human being on planet earth, everyone who's ever lived, died and yet to be born will have to live with the outcomes of their choices in life, good bad or indifferent.

Are you trying to suggest it's somehow different for Natasha? That she is the only person born ever who is different to this is it? If you think she's the only person born ever who's choices has no bearing on the outcome of her life at all I'd like you to explain why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Notmything

But they can, I know guys who went on parade and they quit same day. It may not always be that quick but it has happened.

They just sit at home waiting for the paperwork to clear. Wouldn't be the whole time but it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,081 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Forgive my ignorance but what is purchasing a discharge?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Again. It is not the same thing.

If that paperwork doesn't clear then it is not the same thing. If the DF says no then it is not the same thing. If it can't be done quick then it is not the same thing.

Somebody working in McDonalds can quit on the spot and their supervisor can't stop them. A soldier cannot quit on the spot.

They can request to leave, but that is not the same thing.

So let's say I got really annoyed and murdered you over this post (purely hypothetical I am just kidding - promise).

Would you then advocate for Tombo2001 saying "well, it is quite a shame, but just saying he did gave him a reason to murder him didn't he. Not victim-blaming or anything, but people have to face the consequences of the choices they make, every person on this planet has to, and his choice was to come here and put himself at risk with that argument".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Field east

one does not have to be very smart/ bright/ clever to know that when you get kicked or punched around the head that If such do not kill or cause permanent and serious damage then such contacts are just millimetres away from causing such.

Well you're incredibly mean spirited nasty vindictive response doesn't make any sense. Zero.

I've said all thread people with common sense on these matters and martial art experience just won't get into a confrontation with someone drunk loon roaring and shouting. I've been very clear actual violence is very very different.

Your post in painfully stupid it really is.

You are trying to make the point people SHOULDN'T have to face the consequences of their actions so you are saying you are in favour of Cathal Crotty not getting a sentence? He or anyone else should never ever ever have to live with the outcome of this life choices is what you are saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

When you enlist in the Defence Forces, or get commissioned as an officer you sign your attestation papers. You have a commitment to serve x amount of years and then y amount on the reserve. Usually 5 and 7. It depends on how long you have served and what courses the defence forces has given you. In the grand scheme of things it is not very much. A recruit 3 months into his/her training is €50. A 3* private, a fully trained soldier is €300. If the army sends you to college as a young officer then you owe them two years service for each year of academics. Similaryly if you are an Air Corps Cadet and you do your flight training, you then owe them time of service, it's to stop people getting the Defence Forces to do the light training or the naval service courses and then sodding off and being a pilot with Ryanair or Aer Lingus, or some shipping/maritime companies.

It's basically if you want to the the army before you have finished your "contract".

I'm sorry Frumy your post is just so dumb I can't bring myself to make a proper reply to it and I'm not sure how to word it so you would understand. I wish you the best in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Oxo Moran

• Registered Users Posts: 32,512 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not sure on those percentages....avoiding someone isn't always possible for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Without trying to turn this thread political I think every political party will run on this campaign for the next GE. It will soon be up to today's govt to appoint somebody to take his place, all eyes are on them from that POV but you can't blame them for the decision made in 2011, he might have seemed less useless then

The fact of the matter is there is a process now that the DPP can follow to re-sentence him. I pray that does indeed happen and a more realistic sentence is imposed.

It is in the overwhelming majority of instances. So long as you have legs you can avoid someone, the only circumstance I can think off you can't is if you are locked in the a small room with them which is a very unlikely scenario.

In Natasha's case she could avoid him 100%, was on the street you simply keep your distance that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

so if we all simply keep our distance the abuse of gay men goes unchecked?

Nope I don’t want to live in that society

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Judge Tom O Donnell will be retiring with his Gold Plated Pension this Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 32,512 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nonsense, you can try to...it doesn't always work out.

I was attacked by two scumbags while walking home, homophobic language used I ran, tripped, slashed in the face with a stanley knife. What exactly did you want me to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭NiceFella

Prison space is well known to be very limited in this country at the moment. Of course it is going to effect effective sentencing. Both the courts and prison system are inextricably linked. To say its not a factor is just plain dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

The sentencing and Judge are a disgrace.

For those of you baying for Crotty’s career I suspect you will get your wish. It might have suited them to keep a soldier and have this whole thing brushed under the carpet however now it’s causing a lot of bad publicity, and the one thing the military absolutely hates, it’s bad publicity.

He will be thrown under the bus by them in due time.

You say nonsense yet in your example you did get away until you tripped. Every scenario warrants different responses why is it up to me to tell you what to do in an attack scenario? I think you did the right thing by trying to get away.

The general rule in martial arts is you get away if you can't you fight like your life depended on it which it may. But generally speaking you only fight if assaulted/grapped/dragged etc it's a last resort not a first one.

It also must be noted you were attacked whereas Natasha approached an attacker. 2 very very very different scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,427 ✭✭✭✭walshb

They are linked. But in this case there is 0 evidence to suggest the judge did not jail Crotty due to prison spaces. He gave his clear reasons why he spared him jail, and lack of prison spaces was not implied or said.

• Advertisement

Why is it up to women to protect gay men in society?

Surely a gay man being called a F word can stand up for himself and even if he can't does he really need a woman to get beaten up badly defending his sexuality?

I personally think the offended gay man in question would prefer she didn't get involved and beaten up don't you?

Advertisement