Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Galway struggle in Croke Park, I’d expect Dublin to win comfortably enough to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

if I had a free bet and wanted to speculate to accumulate I’d back Donegal to win it out at 6/1.

Realistically based on evidence so far it’s Dublin’s to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

The semi-final draw is even more restricted than the 1/4s.

In the Semis, all repeat meetings will be avoided if possible, while the 1/4s only avoided Provincial finals and group meetings.

If Derry, Armagh, Donegal and Galway win, a repeat meeting can't be avoided as Armagh will have played all 3.

If Kerry, Armagh, Donegal and Dublin win, I.e. the four favourites, Armagh can't meet Donegal (and thus Kerry can't meet Dublin) as Armagh met Donegal in the Ulster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Dublin will need to up their game against Galway. They were unusually sloppy v Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Back in Croke Park,knock out football with two weeks to prepare I expect them will be more slick than sloppy against Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭crusd

I think 2014 compares quite favourably: Doherty, O'Shea, Dillon, O'Connor, Moran and McLaughlin compared to Lundy, Walsh, Comer, Conroy, Hoare, Cummins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭MfMan

Galway have often had more natural forwards than now, but as has been pointed out, their injured/recovering men, Sean Kelly, Tierney, McDaid, also add solidity and dash to the middle-third area, creating a better platform for the forwards to make scores.

Quite surprised at the dismissal of the Rossies' chances next weekend. Armagh are no world-beaters by any means and Ross have capable scoring forwards; winning in Omagh can never be discounted that easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Will you go away out of that with your "rules" and "reality"!

The Mayo lads want someone to blame, cos they were obviously hard done by (yet again).

You're spot on!

Knockout is the only place it matters and Ros and Derry are still there because they won their knockout games.

Mayo didn't. Instead they put far too much mental effort into a group game with the Dubs that was really not much more important than a league game.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Avon8

Yawn

1. Most of their forwards have either been injured or playing injured all year

2. Galway play 3 out and out defenders in their full back line. They're all good defenders but none are completely comfortable attacking and they nearly always stay outside the attacking zone. So rightly or wrongly every single team brings 15 back into the defensive 45 and says to Galway 'break us down with only 11 attackers v 15"

Now whether that's Galway's fault for not committing these defenders to fully attack or the oppositions fault for bringing 15 inside their 45 is up for debate. But that's how Galway games end up being cagey, nothing to do with the efficiency of the forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭henke

What is the logic of this really?

Conspiracy theorists might say the GAA want the glamour Kerry Dublin final every year and this lends itself to it. They will always win their province, highly likely to win their group, thus will usually land in a SF having not met. The best of Connacht and Ulster always have a high liklihood of meeting either in a group or the provincial Championship as demonstrated this year by Donegal Derry and Armagh all have playing each other at various stages. At least with the old provincial rotation system teams knew where they stood and not every final pairing could be the same. Not sure why they got rid of that.

• Advertisement

It can be discounted on here if you're a bitterly disappointed Mayo man though 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm just pointing out how Galway don't score enough to challenge the likes of Dublin at this stage of the competition.

Derry, another team tipped as a potential "dark horse" right now have the same problem.

If it were Mayo in a quarter final I'd be making the same point as they also fail to light up the scoreboard.

The reality is to win an All Ireland you really have to be able to get 18 plus points against teams like Dublin or Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭MfMan

That is true, but it's an indictment as much as anything else of how football has gone now. None of the games this weekend were free-flowing or high scoring. It's a characteristic that practically all sides now play with 15 behind the ball when defending. No surprise that the best games this weekend were the Tailteann Cup where defences were more open and a bit looser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

I think we’ll see the importance of winning your group this coming weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Dublin occupy too much of the headspace of the Mayo team and especially supporters. Was at the League game in Castlebar earlier this year when they won for the first time in ages, and it was like they had won the All-Ireland.

They would be Spurs if they were a Premier League team.

I'd agree to a point, but the only realistic winner ever of that group, was Dublin.

Don't forget, Roscommon burst a gut to draw with them in Croker last year, and that was the end of their season.…they couldn't recover from the post-Dubs hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Surprised to see Dublin v Galway on GAAGO

Perhaps it's to try and boost the attendance.

Donegal v Louth at 1.15pm on Sunday, Croke Park will be quiet enough at that stage I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Have you not been following the football. Mayo threw away the game against Dublin. Mayo should have won the group. I felt that if they could get a couple of wins in the earlier matches and get Dublin to a neutral venue, then anything could happen. And it almost transpired that way. If only the Mayo lads had the sense to throw Ciaran Kilkenny to the ground in the last 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

And the Rossies threw away the game in Croker last year. Any other of their freetakers would have kicked that winning free. But so what?! it doesn't matter. Neither Ros nor Mayo beat Dublin. That's exactly the point, that "nearly never bulled the cow".

It's a problem in Mayo. Too many are too happy with "nearly".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would say Dublin by about 7 v Galway based on their previous meetings in the league etc.

There always seems to be some sort of doubt v Galway re the fitness and/or form of Walsh and Comer.

It is the one thing I think the Dublin set up do not get enough credit for, keeping players injury free/getting them fit. Jack McCaffery has been superbly managed for example.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But Galway NEED Walsh and Comer fit and firing that is the difference. As I said overall Dublin manage their players fitness superbly. But Walsh and Comer always seem to be either half injured/injured and/or out of form THE two main men.

You would surely have to question why as a Galway fan? Both of those lads are crucial cogs to the Galway team.

When was the last time Galway had a flying fit and in form Walsh and Comer? Honestly. Has it ever happened?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mackinac

Referees announced

D Coldrick - Derry v Kerry

J McQuillan - Donegal v Louth

S Hurson - Dublin v Galway

M McNally - Armagh v Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭cosatron

2022 when we reached the all ireland fianl was the last time both were flying fit.

Comer missed the entire league. Introduced slowly back. Sub against Sligo. Brilliant against Mayo. Fine against Derry. Ankle stood on. Trying to protect the ankle a little put pressure on the hamstring and he strained it 🤷‍♂️ not sure the medical team can do much more than that other than not play him at all. I've referenced Small as they have similar builds with similar issues. Some people are just made that way.

How many top professionals across the water with probably multi pound medical teams can't keep their players fit?

Shane Walsh seems to have crept into this conversation some how. Comer is injury prone. That is a fact. Shane is carrying I'd say 3 injuries at this stage. But in his overall career he has missed very few games in the last 10 odd years. 2024 might be a disaster for him but in general he's usually on the pitch. Been asked to play through the pain currently but again what else can be done but not play him.

Frustrating yes. But a lot of Galway injuries have been rehabilitated fine. Tierney/McDaid/Kelly/Glynn/Mulkerrin etc. (Etc could go on a while as we had a massive list)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mackinac

I thought it was a good Mayo crowd too. Was one of the Derry fans who travelled and there can’t have been more than several hundred of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭cosatron

dublin win incoming, Hurson has it in for galway. a complete boll*x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

A whole month wasted to knock out 4 teams. Then Roscommon and Derry into last 8, after 3 defeats. Kerry haven’t had a serious match, and Derry won’t score enough to trouble them. If Roscommon play well, they will win, as Armagh will mess about in midfield for ages. Donegal easy win, Dublin v Galway could be good, if Galway turn up. Mayo and Cork snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, not for first time.

Advertisement