Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I’m not a fan of Weston, and think he tries to sensationalise everything, but he’s certainly not an industry stooge and he’ll attack old banks and insurance companies (and even the state) more than he’ll attack the newcomers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The indo story doesn't make sense, and I'd love to know the level of the 'IT Expert' as am guessing that term was used purposely to attract more clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That Indo story reads to me like a planted report by mainstream banks to plant doubts in people's minds about the traditional bricks and mortars banks.

"A cyber security expert", yea right.

"€5,000 taken from his account when he was in bed and not using his phone." So do you have to be actually using your phone for payments to come out of your account?

His phone going through a resetting process shows his phone was compromised in someway and that's not Revolut's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

"Do you have to be using your phone for payments to come out of your account?"

Yes actually, PSD2-SCA says that financial institutions must only allow payments or push transfers when they are approved with 2fa. The reason for the 2fa is to prevent a single compromise from letting someone steal your money. If his phone was compromised like you suggested and that allowed someone to steal his money, 2fa wasn't implemented correctly and that absolutely is Revolut's fault.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32018R0389

Payment services offered electronically should be carried out in a secure manner, adopting technologies able to guarantee the safe authentication of the user and to reduce, to the maximum extent possible, the risk of fraud. The authentication procedure should include, in general, transaction monitoring mechanisms to detect attempts to use a payment service user's personalised security credentials that were lost, stolen, or misappropriated and should also ensure that the payment service user is the legitimate user and therefore is giving consent for the transfer of funds and access to its account information through a normal use of the personalised security credentials. 

Furthermore, it is necessary to specify the requirements of the strong customer authentication that should be applied each time a payer accesses its payment account online, initiates an electronic payment transaction or carries out any action through a remote channel which may imply a risk of payment fraud or other abuse, by requiring the generation of an authentication code which should be resistant against the risk of being forged in its entirety or by disclosure of any of the elements upon which the code was generated.

I don't know why you're so quick to jump to conclusions and defend Revolut when you have almost none of the facts.

Direct debits etc come out of your account when not using your account.

I'd say in this case someone got access to his account login and transferred money on another device through Revolout's own payments system to other Revolut accounts.

This was not a payment with a debit card that you are referring to.

The point is his phone was compromised by something he did not Revolut.

How Revolut handled the complaint after is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

In this specific case "Payments went to a UK ­Revolut account, he said." which means they were P2P transactions within the Revolut System, at least that is what it can be interpreted as.

P2P payments only require you to log into the app (with whatever security method you have chosen) and then it's easy to do if you have an identifier for the receivers revolut account.

Only where there is an usual behavior like for example the account you send to is not in your address book, it's a strange amount, it's small amount after small amount or any other "AI" trigger will you get prompted to watch a video about fraud or asked to validate again. At least in my experience.

Card Payments are a different story, so are bank transfers where I get this damm same video over and over again when creating a new receiver.

And it should be extremely easy for Revolut to find out how these were authorized and what the relationship of the receiver is to this person. There should be enough data points available from them hoovering up the data as they do.

But this person clearly had this phone compromised or maybe his company or a thread actor remotely wiped it (giving how his apps were missing) and the revolut fraud is unrelated to the phone reset or maybe it did not happen this way, we don't know because we don't have the full context.

All we know is that when we use Revolut we should take every precaution to ensure our accounts are safe, including ensuring we use send / spend limits and protect our phone adequately.

While the article (still a Bank of Ireland responds to Revolut savings account move video in the middle is dodgy) does not give us enough info, it raises a valid point, revolut is hard to get hold off, their customer service is bad and sometimes they don't even have the ability to understand what the issue is. In addition, their lack of details on how they know that there was no fraud, and these were authorized makes it hard to understand what really happend.

In the end make sure you follow best practices for your device security and the security of any app you use.

Now they might have 2.7 million customers in Ireland but how many of these are active customers or even use Revolut as a main bank account rather than for occasional P2P or to avoid paying Irish Banks exorbitant foreign currency charges?

If all 2.7 million would be full bank account users, there would be nearly nothing left for the rest of the banks.

But yes, Revolut is a dominant player at least in the P2P business, so it's absolutely fair that they get scrutiny from press, regulator and customers alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Is there any merit in placing revolut in the secure folder location on a samsung phone. Would this add any layer of protection over depending on androids sandboxing?

Direct debits are not in scope for SCA - that’s why I specifically said payments and push transfers. And with direct debits, you can claw back any payment within six months no questions asked.

I’m also not sure if ECB would view a transfer to an account in a bank semi-licensed in another jurisdiction as out of scope for SCA.

Assuming p2p transfers are in scope, it doesn’t really matter how the compromise happened. Unless they can prove that the account holder was negligent, it’s on Revolut to secure the payment. And even if the account holder was negligent, it’s on the bank to have robust fraud detection measures. Transferring all your money to someone you’re never sent money to before is the kind of thing even a basic fraud detection system should be flagging.

And ultimately, Revolut did refund this guys money. There are numerous cases where people complained to the press and got nowhere but this guy was refunded after one news story. What does that tell you?

P2P payments on Revolut do not require 2 step verification

There systems has been like that since day one and they get a banking license after so they must be compliant with all regulations.

The article reads to me like an anti Revolut/Fintech piece.Nameless cyber security expert, sensationalist tag line with "while he slept".

Then just says they got refunded after publication. No verified quotes, dates, timelines etc.

It's a very poor article.

They clearly stated that something happened to the phone as apps had to be reinstalled so this fictional cyber security expert did something wrong.

Sames as if you click on a link, it's your fault not the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭bren2001

How Revolut handled the complaint after is another matter.

No. That's the point of the article.

The article doesn't blame Revolut for the fraudulant transactions, it criticizes how they handled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭wassie

I think it was reported previously that the average balance from Irish customers was around €600. I wonder if it is a lack of trust in the neo's, for reason such as the Indo piece, being a significant part of the reason why people won't use a neo as a primary bank.

Personally it is for me - I have no issue using a fully digital service. But I want good customer support when I have an signficiant issue. Its for that reason I have a paid plan with N26 vs Revolut, as I have savings with them @4% plus comfort of knowing I can call them on the phone if there is a problem.

I accept free plans will have limted customer support, but for me the top tier at very least for Revolut should offer phone support.

Bunq have limted phone support, but you are able to contact them via chat in the web app, which I find much better than via mobile app only, epecially if I need to explain a lot of details.

a friend worked on the PUP payments 3 years ago. I know times have changed a little but she processed thousands of applications. No more than a handful had revolut as their bank to receive the fund. 70% BOI, about 25% AIB and about 4% between PTSB and other “legacy banks”. 1% between credit unions and revolut (no other online banks)

I'd say that's changed a lot now as at the time Revolut did not have Irish ibans only Lithuanian ones and despite SEPA regulations many Irish bodies cannot accept non Irish ibans.

revolut was accepted for that payment at the time. Its presumably changed a little, but I can guarantee you that it’s still way, way, way behind BOI and AIB

As in not in the same ball park of numbers

2.x million customers do not mean active customers, nor does it mean that they use Revolut as their main account.

I suspect most are using it for friends & family (instead of PayPal) or to save on the ridiculous foreign exchange fees for buying at Amazon or other foreign vendors and even some to send money home for next to nothing!

There might be a significant group that moved to main account especially since Revolut now offers a credit card and some enjoy the paid plans because there can be value in them, but overall,l I don't believe that 50% of the adult population is using Revolut for their day-2-day.

There's plenty of industry news that says people who use Revolut just transfer in 2-3 weeks spending money at a time and no more. The number of people getting their wages paid into it is tiny. The number of people keeping large amounts on deposit is smaller still. That might have changed with the introduction of normal saving accounts but I doubt it, most Irish people are reticent about moving away from their primary bank and most people are lazy about moving savings out of their deposit accounts.

The longer term is more interesting. I'm sure there are quite a few people < 30 who use Revolut as their primary/only bank. Once they're established there, it would make sense to get a credit card from them, put some money into savings with them and possibly even get a mortgage from them when that arrives here. If those products are well integrated, it would be more hassle for those people to go anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭pureza

I've transferred about 4000 rev points to BA avios now,instantaneous

Also double Rev points on using Stays

So if you spend 5k on a family holiday hotel,you will get 10k avios which is enough for a return business class flight to London

I got an email today explaining it

It says Rev points are replacing cashback

So no more cash back

Yeah, it's a shame that the % cashback is gone, I managed to get a good amount of money via that method especially with also taking Avios via EI Online Shopping Portal.

The new rates of Rev Points in Shops are not that good, and while it's some extra points the easy way, I will miss the cash which was instant and sometime really high.

I mean where I previously got 3% cash back I now get 3 times Rev Points, not really the same.

If you fly on BA,within 30 days,you get the chance to triple boost (or double or single) your avios at about 1.1c per avios point

But if you pay with Rev and you are ultra,you'll get the Rev points for that too and can convert back to avios straight away

I think ultra pays for itself with its freebies and tge higher savings rate but with Rev to avios,I think its become the first decent avios card in Ireland,10 times better earning than the rather pithy aerclub card

Edited to add,it can be any oneworld airline and aer lingus credited to BA exec club

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

EDIT: nevermind. Showed up in the app a few mins after posting this

Saw the news about the rollout of Revpoints today but haven't had any correspondence on it nor is it in my app. Is it a staggered roll out?

Its hidden in the app

Go to lifestyle and tap the icon at the top right

Then enable it

Average balance in a Revolut account is about €600 according to their chairman who spoke in Dublinlast month so it's safe to say most people don't use it as their main account.

Their goal is to change that.

The thing that annoys me with the press is that we all know Revolut are not the only ones who have scammers attacking their accounts but BOI and AIB customers who get scammed don't seem to get as many column inches.

The customer service for those on the free plan is poor, we all know that.

Their support no better on any plan not just the free level, it's farcical support to be honest and I'm day to day with salary into revolut user on metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭bren2001

The customer service for those on the free plan is poor, we all know that.

But that's what this set of column inches is about. It's not critical of Revoluts security, it's critical of how it handles it when it happens and how it liases with customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭beachhead

FSPO are not interested in investigating complaints about banking services headquartered/regulated outside of the island.

I used them in a complaint against revolut and they carried out mediation between myself and revolut so they do investigate into revolut on a complaint.

Takes a while mind you (months).

I'm not sure all the articles are about the poor customer service though.

Anyway, you have to wonder what senior management at Revolut think about the service levels and constant band press about it, presumably Irish customers are not alone.

Martin Gilbert, their Chairman who is an older guy known in the financial servuces industry for setting up and then selling a large asset manager admitted in a Dublin chat that service was poor but didn't elaborate on any improvements. He did say given their skyrocketing customers across the globe that customer servuce can only be bot based at the first level given how many humans they would need to tackle every query received.

FSPO here are not "investigating", they are an approved "Out of court dispute resolution" body under EU rules, you could also use any other online dispute resolution platform.

It's a mediation process not an investigation!

• Advertisement

I don't find that an acceptable view for an expensive product. Oh well we have so many customers we just won't bother providing decent service to any of them.

For the free tier sure have it 100% bots but when you are paying more for plans the service quality should increase proportionally (which it does not currently). There are things they could do to improve service such as adequate training (more than click this scripted answer in this drop down) and maybe add an option pay per case or pay per case phone support. Bunq support is extremely slow but you have an sos option and get to someone who understands their systems and can resolve issues in minutes. Revolut provide nothing of the sort.

As well as that every time you contact them on the same case you get a new wally and you have to start all over again as they are not able to read cases and you rehash the same scripted answers and suggestions over again.

Bottom line is they don't care about customers and care only about their margins and sure that's what they are in business for but they have an awful image and no appetite to fix it either.

And now that they have started cutting services and replacing them with new less rewarding products their paid plans are even less attractive.

N26 is becoming a better option in my view and I see myself moving to my N26 eventually.

Advertisement