Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

In order for this iteration of the far-right to poll well there would have to a dramatic deterioration in conditions, the present assemblage of far-right parties are politically inept and incapable of broad-based political communication - with the exception of a minor urban demographic they are unpalatable to the electorate. I expect that will change - there is a consensus that levels of immigration, particularly asylum, are excessive and public opinion on immigration has, over time, tended to favour a decrease in immigration. As an issue there is an abundance of interest in immigration but communication on the issue has to be moderated effectively - Michael McNamara discusses immigration convincingly, Michael McDowell discussed immigration convincingly. If the far-right learns to actually discuss and debate immigration there will be votes there.

The EU’s policies on immigration have received criticism from the UN and the CoE…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

@Geert von Instetten Michael McNamara discusses immigration convincingly

~ Youtube: - Questioning Justice Minister Helen McEntee on immigration data

Feedback on twitter called him a turncoat, when news broke that he maybe joining the Renew Group (which happens to have Fianna Fáil members). Probably reading the title and thinking he was joining Fianna Fáil!? ~ [Archive Link]

The Renew Group is resposible for formation of EU MIGRATION AND ASYLUM PACT?

https://www.reneweuropegroup.eu/news/2024-04-10/migration-and-asylum-pact-reform-delivered-despite-far-right-attempts-to-wreck-european-solutions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

And??? Rightly they’ve collectively told them to do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement

McNamara is less of an ideological purist than McDowell on the issue of immigration, far from surprising is it? - regardless of McMcNamara’s political affiliation in the European Parliament, the way in which he engaged in discussion on the issue of immigration is a template for the type of communication that the far-right has to adopt in order to obtain political relevance. If conditions deteriorate considerably then potentially the crude rhetoric the far-right practices at present will become palatable, as it is, there is a way to engage in debate on immigration convincingly and an abundance of concrete, credible discussion-points - that 50% to 70% of asylum seekers in the State are secondary movements from the EU is incredible - the far-right has to learn this.

Post edited by Geert von Instetten on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If this is the level of justification from pro immigration posters, no wonder people look askance.

You state that 'the vast majority of Irish people have no interest' in testing EU policies on these matters. And then proffer proof of this in that you 'just looked at the most recent elections results'.

Blithely ignoring several opinion polls which found that substantial numbers of Irish people have considerable worries about what is going on. And blithely ignoring that the likes of local councillors are elected to fix potholes etc etc and have little to no role in matters of immigration policy.

Do you expect to be taken seriously at all?? The arguments offered are laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A charity presumably getting some State funding buys and hands out tents and a few days later DCC crushes them. And it has happened multiple times now

I am hoping the left hand talks to the right hand and a solution is found to this waste

Charities never stop fundraising and DCC say they are underfunded and they are both causing work & expense for each other. I do assume Dublin City Council hire in contractors for this work and if not it is still man-hours for council staff who could be working elsewhere

It's a golden age for camping shops huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Ahwell

There was no mention of “potholes” when you were predicting that “this crowd are heading for some drubbing in the real poll, the vote on June 7th” (note the “real poll” bit). When it didn’t transpires you bizzarely tried to claim it indicated some kind of seismic shift anyway. Now you’re trying to dismiss the election results entirely. Laughable indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's still an unconvincing argument. There are around half a million non nationals in the workforce, paying taxes and being hugely productive for the economy.

The asylum seeker situation is different for sure, but the numbers involved are much smaller and are not out of kilter with most other European countries per capita.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Augme

CI love out you ignore democratically run elections where everyone is allowed participate versus an opinion poll that is run by God only knows and asks God only knows.

So I guess the most recent referendum results should also be ignored and result should instead be based on on all the opinion polls that said it would be a yes? Whats that? No, you do think that should happen? I didnt think you would.

So hang on, let's ignore the results of the European elections where people are only asked to elect the people who decide on European legilsation because its a terrible barometer for judging what people want to do with european legilsation? More holes in that argument then the biggest lump of Swiss cheese ever made.

The arguments you've offered are comical.

Post edited by Augme on

I’m unconvinced that migrants on language visas are of particular value to State, the visas are absolutely abused and the employment is part-time or else in the shadow economy. Asylum is absolutely spiralling, that 70% of asylum seekers arriving in the State have applied for asylum in other EU Member States is incredible, to consider it anything other than that is bizarre. Asylum has increased from 3,000 a year to 15,000 - a five-fold increase is far from common in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A big problem for the right wing populists is that their "immigration is not good for the country" argument appears to be falling flat with the electorate. Undoubtedly, there are problems attached with high net immigration (pressure on accommodation, services, infrastructure etc) but on balance, Irish people seem to think on balance that immigration is good for the country, even when the numbers arriving are on the high side.

The asylum situation has definitely been handled badly by the government, up to and including this year. There are signs though that since Harris was made Taoiseach of a toughening up of the asylum rules and the implementation of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I think that may be why SDCC will be raising the property tax this year. 😡

I agree that the far-right argument is, at present, considerably less convincing then it has the potential to be - the local and European elections are evidence of that. I disagree that asylum is the only problematic form of immigration - though it is indeed incredibly problematic - as I say, I’m unconvinced that language visas are of any particular value to the State and actually, I’m increasingly sceptical of student visas in general. The State inevitably requires skilled immigration and that will remain the case, that said, I believe that there is an argument to be made to retain skilled professionals (doctors, nurses, builders) rather than import them from countries with less comprehensive qualification standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

You cant stop doctors, nurses etc from going abroad if they choose to do so.

If they keep choosing that option, we need people to fill the positions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Someone should immediately go to the various shanty towns springing up in Dublin and get those lads to confirm their credentials so they can practice medicine asap!!!! 🤥

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

The only poll that matters is election day …. on that day people either voted mostly for normal politicians incl FF, FG and SF …. or didn't vote at all …. the anti migrant far right Trump fanatics are just not as plentiful as they like to believe ….

There are a lot of people who have no view either way on migrants …. and are much more concerned about the type of abusive native Irish filth that burn down buildings and set fire to buses in Dublin …. the same type who rob houses, offices, churches and factories and make our streets unsafe at night …. when people went out to vote they voted for normal politicians not these wannabe Trumps …. people are wise to the poison these lowlives spread and see it is them who are the problem …. they spread unfounded lies and actually burn down buildings not even associated with migrants …. they rape our women, attack them and get off with a suspended sentence when in court, they burgle our houses, they rant and rave on our public transport, they get away with anti social behaviour …. and these filth have the nerve to abuse migrants …. as well as Irish people ….

The most scary prospect is a far right dictatorship lead by an unholy alliance of lowlife thugs and self-style 'Catholic' fanatics of the so-called 'pro-life' baber type …. they would destroy this country within weeks …. they spread lies …. they spread poison … they parrot what that bloody Trump clown …. a guy who is only saying what he says because he owes criminals money ….. everyone knows Trump was voting for Obama until he was bailed out by far right lowlife in the US …. says …. they are like those Trump has to pay back … that is criminals who have none of the Irish people's interests in mind no more than the hardline filth who have Trump over a barrel care about the US or its people ….. first they target the migrants ….. then the native Muslims …. then the trans …. then the gays …. then the heterosexuals who don't want children …. then the protestants ….. then the educated …. and then everyone else ….. very soon people don't have any rights or any services ….. and everything is controlled by this filth ….

• Advertisement

Except you claimed the issue of immigration was of less importance than various other issues, which according to polling is incorrect - for voters concern over immigration was the second vote determinant after political affiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Ozvaldo

I see Martin is on abt air Lingus saying it's a disgrace the public have been ignored, what abt the public being ignored with all these shanty towns in Dublin and unvetted maniacs being left in to the country .

Indeed, the argument is less that you would detain them in the State unwillingly than that you would create conditions that would convince them to remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't know where you're getting that from, other than wanting to play the victim.

I'm just pointing out the gap that can, and in this case does, exist between what some people want and what's feasible and practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Quags

Classic tactics, come out and fight for the people when holidays are at risk and the people will remember that good deed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Well, well, well, shocking stuff!

I did warn you all that he maybe wasn't all that genuine in cosying up to the anti-immigration movement. In fact I don't think he really said anything that was even all that anti-immigration, other than vaguely looking for faster processing.

A few interviews with Gript.ie, and 'grilling' McAntee on an all but defunct deportation process, and you lot were convinced he was one of your own… hook, line and sinker.

In a sense I'd have to say fair play to the guy. The votes were there to be taken. I personally wouldn't risk being perceived as crossing the far-right, but I guess he wasn't too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

@MegamanBoo This youtube video was post 3rd June highlighting your views.

He still got a preference from me and after elimations my transfers landed with him.

Timely of this lady's court case, I thought she had a date in July for it?

Wonder will any representative of the Government show?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Miharo

Mod Snip - Before the courts

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Ryanair fly direct to two cities in Morocco. Cheapest deportation ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Diversity, like all the colourfully dressed women from the same area hanging around all day and making zero attempt to ever work/integrate etc. We should be happy to fund them for life as it truly enriches the city

Advertisement