Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Irish politics discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It has to be remembered what happened here and some of the comment from within SIPO itself. The predictable shooting of the messenger (Murphy) should be ignored as this case could have been taken by anyone and should have been whatever your politics.

All of this was set out in records Sipo released under the Freedom of Information Act.

But Sipo redacted some of the files. It was only after an appeal to the Information Commissioner – an office held by Deering – that further disclosures were made showing McCarthy’s concern about the potential for Sipo facing “credibility” issues as a result of its response to the Varadkar case.

“Would our arguments be enough to satisfy a judge in a judicial review proceeding (whichever way we go)?” McCarthy asked as Sipo considered its stance.“A court order to reconsider rejection of a complaint would be appalling, and would compromise the credibility of any subsequent decision we made.

A court order to stop an inquiry would at least explain why we had no power to pursue a complaint in this matter.”

With Mr Justice O’Donnell’s ruling, that “appalling” prospect has now come to pass.This very bad for the standards commission, the body that is supposed to promote transparency and accountability in public life. That it relates to a decision concerning the actions of a taoiseach makes it all the worse.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/06/21/high-court-sipo-decision-is-a-bad-outcome-for-leo-varadkar/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

That’s the one, hurling abuse at a couple of women in a car

A big man is our Paul

Doesn’t really matter in this case but someone I wouldn’t be giving any praise to, total waste of space

Paddy Cosgrove seems to be claiming it was him and his room rent paying minions so not sure who submitted

It’s certainly has got the SF online mob all excited again, the usual homophobic bile is kicked off again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Have a good read of the RTE article and the judgement.

"It added that "it may be that there was a concern about the entitlement of the Commission to gather evidence that may be found in the confidential discussions of the cabinet.

However the court found that "this was not stated by the Commission. Ultimately it is not for this court to fill in the blanks"."

They practically gave SIPO the reasons in the judgement. If SIPO turn around and say something along those lines, the Court have said that is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Augme

No one has any issue with that. It will then be the government and FG to respond to how they feel about Cabinet members being perfectly free to carry out unethical behaviour and they seeing no issue with that.

SIPO have said that the behaviour was ethical, the Court didn't disagree, just that SIPO should explain itself better.

As is usual, people are getting overexcited by something that isn't there.

It's not the job of the court to disagree with that decision.

As I said, SIPO to didn't say it was ethical behaviour. SIPO said they weren't going to investigate it. And now SIPO need to say why they didn't investigate and whether it was becusse they don't have the powers to investigate unethical behaviour by cabinet members.

The answer to which will further highlight how successive governments have seen to it that SIPO is under powered and hampered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

You're letting that statement do an awful lot of heavy lifting to get to the conclusion that the court have said, 'the decision was fine'. They have hypothesised on one possible reasoning and have not commented on whether that reasoning itself would be sufficient as it isn't their job to do so.

I'll go a step further; if what you believe to be true is so, it would be highly inappropriate from the court. Their job was to rule on a procedural issue.

I'm still about 90% sure that next steps will be as you suspect also; SIPO will come back with appropriate justification. I think anyone expecting this to be some huge thing that results in Leo back in hot water is massively over-reading the situation. I do think you're under-reading it to suit your own agenda also though.

If their justification is that they have concerns about their entitlement to gather evidence from confidential cabinet discussions, I suspect they'll have to go a step further and substantiate it beyond concerns into an explicit confirmation that they do not have the entitlement to gather that evidence. That may then raise further questions about whether SIPO is unfit for purpose given that they would be demonstrating their inability to do their job.

Wouldn't be highly inappropriate. Have seen that type of judgement before.

In essence they have struck down the SIPO decision on a technicality, but hinted that they agree on substance. I have seen it done before and it is an effective way to prevent future judicial challenges. Of course, Paul Murphy is so pig-ignorant, stubborn and obstinate, he is unlikely to take the hint and court time will be wasted in future.

Cabinet confidentiality has constitutional protection. Everybody has to operate within the confines of the constitution, including the Gardai, GSOC and SIPO as investigative bodies. Are you suggesting that the constitutional protections on cabinet confidentiality and the good reasons around that should be changed merely to pursue a vendetta against Leo?

• Advertisement

To pursue a vendetta against Leo?

Absolutely not. I think what Leo did was inappropriate, but no more than that. Worthy of a firm finger wagging.

If the protection that TDs receive prevents the very body set up to ensure they're acting in an ethical manner from actually investigating whether they're acting in an ethical manner though, I'd absolutely argue that protection is too far reaching.

That being said, the article of the constitution already offers exceptions to when confidentiality should be maintained. I'd argue the case of SIPO investigations should fall under those exceptions rather than requiring a change to the constitution though.

Surely ethical violations from an elected representative are the very definition of, 'overriding public interest'?

Given that the current government has been about as leaky as a sieve, I'd hold off on the pearl clutching about cabinet confidentiality on their behalf though.

Yes, the purpose of the case taken by Murphy was to pursue a vendetta against Leo. He will continue on that road.

I'm talking about the broader context; SIPO not providing a justification for not investigating, and your supposition that the reason was because cabinet confidentiality prevents them from doing so.

1. If they provided justification like they should've, we wouldn't have a case for Ambulance Chaser Murphy. Instead, not only did he have a case, he was demonstrably correct to take it. He'll be twice as fast the next time he has a vendetta to pursue
    2. Questions should absolutely be asked about their fitness for purpose.

Surely you'd agree that ethical violations from elected representatives are inherently of overriding public interest?

No matter how much you want to hand wave it away, SIPO absolutely should've done better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

Isn't it the case that opinions expressed on all this are divided across party political lines anyway though in the main,but unless parties opposed to Varadkar are willing to question the DPP's office's repute (dangerous and pointless territory),they're on a hiding to nothing

I think the fracturing across party lines is leading to some very black and white views being expressed.

It is entirely reasonable to think that Leo did something ethically questionable that didn't cross the barrier into criminal.

It is entirely reasonable to think SIPO should've done better without thinking that means Leo is about to be dragged across hot coals.

I don't disagree with the Court that SIPO should have explained itself better, but in my opinion, the whole thing was a storm in a teacup from start to finish, which would explain why SIPO were careless in explaining themselves.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I think we're broadly of a similar opinion with a few minor disagreements on the topic.

It's also entirely reasonable to think that he did what he did,albeit unconventionally to get the contract across the line with as many gp's as possible, with no malicious intent whatsoever

Its the angle taken that depends mostly either on party lines or on whether it's another easy angle to take if you hate a government

Its mostly multi registered hacks on boards and twitter involved to be frank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I see that Michael McGrath is almost certainly off to Europe as Commissioner.

That leaves a couple of interesting vacancies:

1. Minister of Finance - FF don't have an obvious replacement. It's going to be a massive step up for whoever gets it
    2. Cork South Central - FF do have an obvious replacement, in his brother Seamus, who took 2.5 quotas in the local elections.

I think it's perfectly fair to ask where cabinets members should beallowed carry out whatever unethical behaviour they feel like without any repercussions or should there be a system in place(which might require a constitutional referendum) to ensure that isn't the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He could have, off the record' verbally acquainted his friend as to the essence of the contract. He didn't need to give him the complete document, very naive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would have thought McGrath could stay in his role until the budget is ready or at least as long as possible, and then, if appointed, head to Brussels. His finance role could be reintegrated with the Public Expenditure to return to be Minister For Finance and Public Expenditure with Paschal Donohoe in charge.

If McGrath is already off to Brussels, Pascal could deliver the budget to the Dail - after all, he has done it before.

FF can then appoint another minister to cabinet to keep the numbers right. It will only be for a few months before the election.

How could any inexperienced TD be appointed to the finance job while the budget is not finalized?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Also has implications if another vacancy arises during the next Dail: FF leadership. Presume McG couldn't run for that as commissioner? And quitting as commisssioner to run presumably wouldn't go down well in Brussels…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He couldn't even quit to run for it. He would be, to all intents and purposes, no longer a national politician.

Nothing against McGrath per se but he wouldn’t be a great leader. Zero charisma.

I would have thought McGrath could stay in his role until the budget is ready

If nominated and accepted he will join the Commission when the Commission starts its tenure, however that may well be after the budget. It's not a timeline really in his control but will probably be in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think he'll stay on until the budget (😉probably earlier and have it in September), they'll call the election once the finance bill is passed in November or so.

McGrath can take up his job when his term starts in December, his brother runs for his seat, and most importantly for the government, no by-election!

The term started in December last time cause several Commissioners were rejected. It was envisioned to start November 1st.

Oh interesting. They'll probably go earlier so with the budget, finance bill, election etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You have to imagine that this is McGrath's last political role? 5 years as commissioner and then retirement?

• Advertisement

New Finance minister announced tomorrow

He's got a big family and has been at the politics thing for quite a while now. You'd have to imagine he could earn better money for less work in the private sector now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Better than 300k and a heap of expenses and perks?

Well that solves that question then. Probably for the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

"Mr McGrath's replacement at the Department of Finance is also expected to be announced today.

Those viewed as strong contenders for the post include Ministers of State Dara Calleary and Jack Chambers."

Jack Chambers as finance minister?

What unethical behaviour? Why do people keep inventing ideas? There is a thread on the subject if you want to go down the rabbit hole of whether Leo did something unethical. When you go there and read from the start, there were people salivating about him doing time for a criminal act, now posters like you are reduced to claiming that somehow it was unethical for the government to get a deal done that the country needed. Bizarrely clinging to the hatred of a former Taoiseach.

I'm actually shocked that he's that young. I would have guessed that he was in his mid 50s.

Is there are a clearly superior option? I'm sure there's a case from Martin's POV for bringing in someone young & gay & fancy-free…

• Advertisement

At this stage I really do believe someone's sexuality is a non-issue. We've already had gay ministers and a gay Taoiseach. I'd actually forgotten about Chambers coming out until I saw this post.

That's a good thing too. Someone's sexuality should be as unremarkable as their height, hair colour or the length of their nose.

Jack Chambers named finance minister. **** hell.

Explains why Martin had that big announcement to make him deputy leader last week.

I don't generally think that ministers need to have a background in their portfolio but I'd make an exception for the Minister Of Finance. Chambers appears to have a law & politics degree and a medical degree. Impressive but not financial or economical.

Maybe FF still feels the need to burnish its credentials in this area? Norma Foley was also in the frame appparently. I'll let you make your own judgement as to how she compares to young Jack in terms of ability and intellect

Mr McConnell also suggested Education Minister Norma Foley could make the move to Finance. 

“A rather curious choice to some, but it's been mentioned that Micheál may want to be seen to appoint the first woman Minister for Finance,” he said. 

There had been talk that that was a consolation prize while the important job went to someone else but this looks like he's clearly being anointed as Micheal's heir apparent, with McGrath seemingly out of the picture…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A very left field choice for sure, only 33 years old and with no particular background in finance. I was convinced he was Lisa Chambers' brother btw, but apparently they are no relation.

• Advertisement

Michael noonan was a teacher

Brian Lenihan a lawyer

Bertie Ahern a …

Richie Ryan a lawyer

Paschal sales and marketing (Business and economic degree alright)

Jack chambers is a Lawyer and a qualified medicsl doctor- Neither are positions you gain without being Brainy

I've no issues with his pedigree for the job

He's also a skillful debater,does it look like this government are getting their tv ducks in a row for the election ? Yes

My only issue with him being finance minister is that he has never been a senior minister and he has relatively little time to prepare for the budget that will be the (presumably) last major action of this government before the election.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, he will have Pascal not far away, plus Simon looking over his shoulder, checking his sums.

He will do OK.

The problem is the body responsible for determining if this unethical behaviour aren't allowed properly investigate that. I don't see how that's an acceptable situation. It gives cabinet members carte blanche carry out unethical behaviour and get away unpunished.

But they have determined that they aren't to investigate it,not anyone else

Probably even less inclined to do so now ,from zero to less than zero inclination,given the DPP's determination,any chance you could move on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement