Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rammstein RDS Arena 23rd June 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 CantonasCat2

A dissertation…

For me, my anticipation of going to this show was akin to a religious pilgrimage .  The atmosphere and sights in the city centre beforehand and on the dart out was Brilliant to see. Rammstein-mania had taken hold . 

RDS looked resplendent in the sun, and the beautiful green grass outside the main arena was lovely .  A very good setting .

The sheer scale of the stage was awesome.  So grand, so gothic and like some insane totalitarian monstrosity . Gorgeous!! 

Was great to be so close to the stage in the FZ, and we struck lucky by being near the piano stage when the dinghies came out, and to be able to see the actual sweat and expressions on their faces up close when they were doing Engel was unreal.    I thought the sound where I was (‘the left half’ of the FZ ) was great, and the performance and energy from the band was incredible. Everything I wanted them to be. No sense of them ‘phoning it in ‘ - they emptied the tank and I’m still tingling ; just hearing and dancing to songs like du riescht so gut live, and even Radio and Auslander - magic stuff of dreams .  

People pay their money so can do what they like, and I guess to suggest otherwise puts you at risk of becoming a gatekeeper .  Brilliant , I guess, to have a diverse crowd in to see such a metal/ rock/ industrial-techno spectacular!  But while Rammstein killed it, the crowd were frankly corpse-like to begin with.  At the very least I expected a bit of collective jumping up and down with the hand in the air to the likes of ich Will and du hast, but it was minimal .  At most other times it was a case of people with arms folded and a bit of nodding the auld head ; no doubt enjoying themselves , but I don’t know how to put it - the crowd seemed unable to loosen up a bit.  Was it that horrible collective Irish awkwardness where people just didn’t want to let themselves go, en masse?  Death to us all by the vibe of being uptight ?

Having read the comments above , I’ve mellowed a bit on the whole thing , and saw some good theories / explanations. . But at the height of my annoyance, Jaysis, to put it bluntly, the show seemed full of boring c***s  .  Was it because it was a Sunday and there was work today?  Feck me. I drove up n down from the North, stone cold sober and am in work today (yadda yadda , cringe ,give me a medal etc.) The collective crowd was minus craic .   Was it the same in the general standing, does anyone know? 

I think I’m over it now… (haha!), but it was like those moments in life when an amazing sexual experience is ruined by the need to p!$$ - something niggling at you that kind of takes away from the main event .

Sorry for the self-indulgent tear fest, folks.  I just had to get that out of my system!   Waaaaaaa!   Big baby 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I was in the FZ and anyone in my vicinity was well into it. Got chatting to loads of random people and had the craic with them all. Singing along where we could, head banging, dancing, just a really cool vibe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭xpletiv

2012 was the best concert Ive ever gone to. I had massively high hopes that I knew it wouldnt reach last night, but still gave it a go.

Positives:

• Set list pretty amazing, IMO just missed Feuer Frei.
    • Pyro was excellent though yeah we got a little screwed with it being 2 days after longest day of the year.
    • Great energy for a bunch of ol lads. Especially the keyboardist on his treadmill ALL night.

Negatives:

• Crowd. Awful, abysmal, boring crowd. Im sorry but I was shocked how bad it was. Nothing like Sum 41 I was at only a few days ago and a long, long way off the 2012 crowd in The Point. And i didnt think it was the irish- zillions of germans, english, french, polish etc were there or over for it and they were the dull ones I saw. Not saying there were dull irish ones but thats what I noticed, cause it was very noticeable.
    • Phones. I mean, ffs. This was appalling and one of the worst ive ever seen. I let out several 'put your phones down ya w*ankers' which didnt do much. but this was ridiculous. Shame on all of them that decided to record everything. These people know nothing about enjoying a gig.
    • Support - like many others said, I liked it, but it was a bit dull. And the ticket price should have justified a proper support act.
    • Rockshore and price - I mean seriously, 7 euro for a can and 8 euro for a pint?
    • Feuerzone oversold - I expected a bit more exclusivity for my 150 euro ticket but it was jammers. And jammers with dull people as said above.
    • Getting out - we went for the dart at Sandymount. Took over an hour to get out the gig and to Tara street for club hell. Which was also 7 euro a pint.

I dont go out in dublin at all any more, mostly cause it costs an absolute arm and leg for pints or food, and then the taxi home cause luas finished at 11pm on a Sunday. Gigs are the ones that I try to fill that 'go out time' with, but yesterday I was cans + bag of crisps in a park before the gig. The old days that would have been Fibbers, but the price of it all now, naaaah.

Still a cracking day out. But too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That would get you a clean decent room in a Maldron or something similar for two people. And Judging by the amount of fans knocking around bars, restaurants, museums etc.. today, a lot of people did just that. It would be similar to what you did in Berlin. A short city break. I'd never drive home after a gig like that, always enjoy a few drinks and stay to soak up the culture the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Leumas

There was a pretty big moshpit that even turned into a semi circle pit (thanks to 2 very excited fans) where I was in general standing, a few people right of the B stage near the wall between FZ and General Standing

The atmosphere was deadly where I was, people singing, headbanging and moshing but after watching videos it didn't look the same anywhere else unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

People standing in silence taking it in is one thing, but I think it's fair enough to be annoyed at people talking constantly at a gig. I was at the Smashing Pumpkins recently and I didn't think the crowd were going crazy, the atmosphere was a bit flat - but they were definitely into what the band was doing on stage and paying attention.

That's fine IMO. But when people spend an entire gig talking and talking and - worst of all - shouting so they can be heard over the music: well, then, I basically hate those people. They're the worst.

It's so disrespectful and ignorant to the artist and the people around you. And utterly self-defeating: why are you there wasting your own time and, I'm sure, in many cases money if you are just going to talk? You could have a better time chatting the pub and you can be sure no-one around you wants to hear you.

I agree a person could be the biggest fan of a band of all time and stay silent throughout a gig: some people just want to soak it in their own way. But I think incessant and intrusive nattering… no, people should cut that crap out.

Far more annoying than people having their phones in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

€500 it cost last year for flights & 3 nights in a 4 star hotel in Berlin, in mid July to fly in and see them.

€200 minimum for one night (you don't even get a breakfast for it) in a bog standard Dublin hotel doesn't cut it. I still have to pay for parking somewhere in Dublin, need to pay for public transport etc. To be worth the cost of convenience it would need to have been next or near a DART station. Those definitely weren't €200.

Let the IPAs keep it. I won't be funding greedy Irish hoteliers now or at any point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well that was an amazing gig, a band that truly understand the live performance. So tight, so entertaining, such a spectacle. Great setlist, just missing feuer frei for me.

The bad

**** hell the crowd were awful, like a morgue up to the last hour I thought. I was moving around and bumped into a few people they got so annoyed, it's a metal gig for ffs.

Phones, we all take a few 30 second clips for keepsake but wtf is with this watching the entire concert through your camera, worst I've seen by far.

I was half way back and I couldn't see much, the stage was too low and lack of screens was a big negative.

Please tell me rockshore isn't popular, the worst beer I've ever drank.

I will absolutely go see them again but I'll be going fz zone and in the dark, somewhere abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

yup, agreed with that. Same with people standing in seated section. I know its a metal concert but standing for the WHOLE gig is just very disrespectful

• Registered Users Posts: 38,399 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What a gig, the pyro & stage were amazing, worth the ticket cost alone. Song of the night for me was 'asche zu asche' but 'Sonne'and 'Rammstein' won the pyro. I've seen some great visual shows over the years and not sure will anything live up too it in terms of visuals. Know about 3% or less of the the German language but nobody was complaining. Some heat off those flares

Pity they didn't play 'Mutter' and 'Feuer Fei' and to a lesser extent 'Amerika' but look can't complain really.

Merch in the RDS was ok compared to the pop up shop (pity they wouldn't sell the Rammstein branded plastic cups sad 😢). Access into the RDS on the 'red route' was a bit chaotic and a little unorganised. Rockshore will always be 'piss' and expensive piss at €8 (I know we're not forced to drink it etc) For the money you'd expect a bit more organisation and be able to enjoy a decent drink (not that the brokers give a flying ****) while you watch the gig. Was in Block H of the grandstand with a very good view. I'd say the view in the 'normal standing' was pretty meh

They could of saved a bit of money for the Angelas Stand redevelopment. Empty it and let the band set it a flame. Look forward to seeing the new stand in a few years. Never know Rammstein could return

• Advertisement

German couple beside me were in a hotel for the weekend and thought the city was amazing. Really enjoying their stay in Dublin, didn't mention it being expensive, but they could have been wealthy. What are IPA's?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The amount of absolute drones in those photos with their phones in the air.

IPAs = International Protection Applicants. Essentially the permanent tenants of Ireland's low cost hotels now.

Discussion for somewhere else but, they don't have to be based at that particular mid range hotel, what happens is the same thing HAP does to the rental market: creates an artificial price floor and removes the bottom of the market, so the middle no longer needs to compete on price below some agreed level, appears to be in/around €200 broadly in Ireland.

If you spot what looks like a bargain on booking/Trivago, it's a safe bet your neighbours will mostly be called Mohammed, Ajay or Dmitri rather than Seamus or Hans etc.

Btw she was likely too polite to mention prices. Ireland, and particularly Dublin is comparatively insanely expensive for pretty much any item compared to Germany.

I find this a bit weird. I've been to gigs not in Ireland where the entire seating section stood / danced / jumped around for basically the entire show. The seat was there just for a bit of respite.

Sounds like you'd be more into the panto or something. Actually wish there was a bit of life around me.

Jumped up out me seat during Du Hast & at the end of Adieu and could feel the crabby bogey eyes on me from everywhere ffs. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

There's a video I've seen on twitter from the Pearl Jam show. Evenflow is playing and there is a bloke filming it with his hand up not even looking at the screen as he has a full blown conversation with the bloke with beside him. Like WTF. I'd love to see the follow on from it on his socials.

"PEARL JAM. WHAT A GIG. HAD ME ENGAGED THE WHOLE TIME".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its the problem with mainstream gigs, you get a huge amount of people who aren't really fans and it makes for a **** atmosphere. Metallica at slane was the same. I was at Slayer, maiden and priest at the 3 arena over last couple years and the atmosphere was night and day to yesterday.

If I'm not really a fan of a band I won't spend my money to go see them. Don't see the point, I want to be engaged, passionate about it and add to the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Bhail

Yes this pissed me off. I just expected them or the centre screen to be on all the time. It's not as if they can't afford it with that stage budget

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The image on the screen was fairly hard to make out until it got a bit darker too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

To say I'm sickened that I missed this gig is an understatement. They have been one of my bucket list live acts for many years, and I never thought they would bring their outdoor stage to Ireland. I was ill last week, and made the call on Saturday evening that I wouldn't be well enough to go on Sunday. Resold the ticket on ticketmaster, so at least someone else got to go. It looked unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

just don’t Google the meaning of Puppe.

Translate to English on a hell of a lot of Rammstein material will leave you a little shaky. 😂

Try Mein Teil, Dicke Titten or Wiener Blut (about Josef Fritzel)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

My perspective on the gig. Been a Rammstein fan for donkeys years as is my brother. But i agree with the consensus that the FZ was dead. I think a lot of people were just in there to say that they were.

Didnt take away from my enjoyment of the gig but i was wondering after the gig if the band thought we were just dry shites.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

Would you all stop whining. Yeah FZ people was not as it should have been in FZ, people with phones, i could care less. They all payed their money and could do anything they want. I was alone in FZ, i enjoyed as much as i could and sang as much as my German vocabulary allowed me to. Rammstein couldn't care less about any of you, its business, they collected their share and moved on

Post edited by lisij on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rammstein could care less about us? So that means they do actually care about us?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Zardoz

You could always go to see them abroad, depending where you are in the country a trip abroad isnt much more expensive than staying in Dublin .

Was club hell at capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Yeh, packed out. I left it around 1.45 and it was hopping, had been out since 3.30 so was well full at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Murt2024

Great gig, was in the FZ, the crowd was pretty bad though.

Was at Limp bizkit in Belfast and the crowd was just absolutely feckin mental. Was no comparison.

Advertisement