Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What did we get for a national high temp today folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Just 12c in NW Donegal on Thursday. 20c possible Dublin and towards the SE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

The sky has a thundery look to my North, towards county Leitrim. Dead calm and feeling very humid now. Very pleasant.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Todays max temperatures

Churchtown reported 28C which cannot be right but anyway.

26C recorded today in Dublin, that will probably be the months maximum temperature, this is extremely unlikely to be beaten in the final week of June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭appledrop

8pm and the kids are having a water fight in back garden as it's still so warm.

It's the little things that bring such joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭compsys

I think Churchtown is in a very sheltered, enclosed location in the back of someone's garden. It almost always reads 1º or 2º higher than everywhere else.

It probably did get to 28º (Phoenix Park almost got to 27º) but would not have been representative of the wider area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Felt warm and humid in work today, at training until the afternoon and struggling to keep the eyes opened 😁

Got up to 22.8C at my site outside Tralee, had a nice birthday BBQ for my son this evening and ran in for a few hoodies when the wind piped up for a while around 19.30 and just came in a short time ago and after going flat calm.

Some Lenticulars about this evening in the humid airs, haven't seen them in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Wow over a 10c difference between the warmest and coolest spots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Very overcast and eventually foggy in Cork today.

• Advertisement

But the thing is that the 28° at Churchtown would be representative of the wider area as the environ is literally full of gardens and man made ground and it's also where a lot of people live and therefore experience those temperatures, in contrast to other reporting stations that are located in sparsely or non populated rural locations with nobody around to experience the temperatures in those places.

The Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect explains why it would be warmer in more built up areas and it's important that temperatures in built up areas are recorded as official records.

For the sake of having official weather stations located only where there is little influence from humans, a suitable location in somewhere like Marlay Park would be interesting in setups like today's.

There was an official weather station in Merrion Square in the past, I'm unsure if it still exists but that would have been very much in an urban area however it's so far east in the city that sea breezes would generally keep it a good bit cooler than areas further west and south of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The day was disappointingly cloudy for the most part but the evening was beautiful as the clouds parted and it felt perfect. 26.7C at Phoenix Park makes it the warmest day since September 8th here.

From Sutton this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Very cloudy today in Dublin although still very warm. Wouldn't be surprised if we see some rain later

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gilly1910

Yes doesn't like we will see any sun today, extremely grey and you wouldn't be surprised if it rained. While weather will be warm for the foreseeale future, M.T. Cranium is not showing any long sunny days such as we had on Sunday until possibly early July.

Post edited by gilly1910 on

Cool, wet, drizzly and (obviously) very humid in Trim, Meant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

two day summer this year folks time to get the winter chat going 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Little over 2 months to go till the next Autumn/ winter season.....👍

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Loving the optimism :)

Long range ECM showing temps above LTA for secnd half of July. Still hope……..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Sun and clouds in Galway. Warm and very pleasant. Grass growing fast.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

We had a few decent days in the middle of May plus the bank holiday weekend was lovely as was this weekend…hopefully we get it being a little more consistent for July

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Drizzle all morning/afternoon so far, what a difference a day makes.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Highlighter75

Hitting 30 degrees in London today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Back to October today.

Looking forward to June again.

Hopefully before July.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some contrast between yesterday and today up here.

Yesterday I was roasted in shorts and t-shirt. Today I'm foundered.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Robwindstorm

A couple of big weeks coming up for me.

I can only cut my silage from July 1st due to environmental scheme conditions, so I'm hoping for dry and preferably sunny weather.

Then on July 8th I'm getting married in an outdoor ceremony.

It's summer in Ireland, so what could possibly go wrong 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The Government has turned the heating down until the Taylor Swift concerts at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some beautiful sunshine has arrived into West Mayo. Nice evening ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

that was my plan a few years ago too. It absolutely bucketed down. It was biblical. Still a great day though. Venue could take indoor ceremony very well also.

Best of luck.

Advertisement