Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Galway and Derry put into a pot with just Dublin......... I understand the amount of teams that couldn't play each other but I still thought it would start as an open draw and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MattressRick

But they could be pulling out Roscommon and Louth for two mins and keep having to put them back in the bowl

Hopefully 4pm Sunday. 7 o clock on a Saturday evening will affect Galway support. Bringing the kids would be tricky at that hour.

I thought (stupidly) pull first team say Dublin then out pop Roscommon. They are then moved to team two in quarter final number two. Pulled Louth next they move to the third quarter final so on and so on.

Not that anyone is ever put back on just moved to another slot in the other quarter finals. I dunno. Maybe that can't work out correctly. Finding out at 8.40 you are in a 50/50 pot to meet Dublin did me no favours!

Ah yeah that could work too.

Rte take the piss with that draw. Is it ever on time? It's on at the most stupid time of the week instead of Sunday night and then they overrun interviews, then give the news headlines and then the business headlines FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭vid36

Galway BayFM have us to play Saturday evening at 6 on their X (Twitter ) feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Will Galway have Comer tied to the bench with a ring through his nose? Ready to let loose. Or will Galway start Comer? Dublin backline a bit suspect under high ball.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭MfMan

Don't think there was any straightforward way of doing it, to avoid the repeat pairings. The die was cast for us once Louth (won yesterday and) drew Armagh first. The past 2 weekends, bar the Monaghan draw, have been hellish for us as regards results elsewhere.

PJ sounded rather fed-up with Walsh on the post-match GBFM interview. Mentioned another MRI scan early this week.

Does he stick or twist? Start or finish with his strongest line-up? Might be better go with the former and see how far it gets him.

If Walsh is injured he shouldn't have publicly said that. No other manager does this. It never works out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The only path to victory I can see is if half the dublin squad opt to go the the Taylor Swift concert instead. Speaking of which, dublin will be chaos regardless of which day it is on.

I think Galway should leave Comer off. See how the basketball tactics go then bring him on late in the first half or early in the second half and lump a few long balls into him. Being such underdogs is more or less the only thing we have going for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 laymansterms

6:15pm on Saturday. Not great for families travelling up.

Way I look at it (and maybe this is the case at latter stages of any Championships) but this game for me comes down to management.

That may not instill people with confidence but matchups and players positions are going to be huge, along with as you said are we starting strong or finishing strong.

Hope I have is 2022 final. Management got so much right on that day. Glynn to follow P. Clifford all over the park. Silke on O'Shea, isolating Shane Walsh one on one inside. Probably the biggest thing that didn't work was the one thing that no one was expecting was D. Clifford to do so well on Sean Kelly. The bench issue seems to be rectified although it worried me how little it was utilised against Monaghan (despite the high praise from Joyce for the bench)

I'd love to put my PJ hat on but I wonder will it be a case of go again and see how we go. Even with that a lot of matchups will be straight forward but I worry the big calls may not be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Yeah I was hoping for 4pm Sunday.

Won't rule it out yet but makes a long day of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭cosatron

I wonder is this a game to recall John Daly for his kick passing ability, with Mulkerrins, we have a better defender but hasn't the vision or ability for the kick pass. Especially if comer is starting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I can see Heaney starting the next day, we need a steady ship first 15 minutes... I see Gleeson, Conroy and Maher got on team of the week, no more than they deserve

How PJ times the substitutions will be critical

I think the starting team will be the same as against Monaghan except with Tierney in full forward, Heaney on the wing. Daly, Sweeney and Comer will surely be brought in, how soon depends on how well/badly things are going.

Wouldn't start Daly now. Mulkerrins has acquitted himself very well the past 2 matches and, critically, has a lot more pace than Daly. Would also have Heaney in for Darcy, (more football nous) and possibly have a midfield of Tierney and McDaid with Conroy no. 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭mjp

Joyce must surely look at man marking Fenton after the way in which Donncha MC hugh nullified his influence and amount of ball he got on the last day. Who can do that job I don't know unless they get Maher to tag him. Silke on Kilkenny mc grath on basquel as wouldn't have the size for Con and Sean fitz to take Con. There's huge amount of match ups to be done but Joyce has been pretty good with his match ups in big games to date.

Was thinking the same thing myself - Maher could easily keep Fenton nullified but would be nullifying himself in the process. Maher is one of the few players that regularly takes route 1 at the opposition, don't fancy losing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭threeball

If Kelly is playing midfield surely he's the one to take Fenton. His experience as a defender and also regularly playing midfield makes him the ideal candidate. Fitness is the only question.

• Advertisement

Matchups are huge. I'm of the opinion a couple of big calls are required. For me:

Basquel = McGrath or Glynn. Whoever doesn't pick him up moves out to track Kilkenny. After Glynn doing a great job on P. Clifford I would of thought him but McGrath did well in the half back line against O' Hanlon against Monaghan. Either or.

Silke on Costello.

McHugh on Scully.

Big one is to move Sean Kelly onto O Callaghan. Only two players in Ireland where I feel this is necessary to bring Kelly back and that's O Callaghan and Clifford. It's would be hugely unfair on Fitzgerald or Mulkerrin (probably Fitzgerald as Mulkerrin is a great reader of the game and would do well sitting in front of O Callaghan) but I think it's required. If he sticks with Fitzgerald I'm sure they will keep a second body close to goal.

Midfield. Maher would I'm sure annoy the hole off Fenton. Other option would be to put Matty standing beside Fenton. He's playing well. Great in the air. Could be a time to step him up and say now is your time to lead. Rather than just worry about Fenton, give Fenton something to worry about going the other way.

Half forward line of McDaid, Tierney/Maher and D'Arcy. I don't expect us to go short a whole lot (unfortunately) especially early on. To this end. Tierney/Maher and D'Arcy hug the touchline and isolate them one on one keeping kickouts as far away from Fenton Lahiff as possible.

Full forward line depends what's fit. Walsh/Comer struggling then bench them till 40 to 45 mins, hopefully still in the game bring them and go for it. Finnerty would do well if isolated and decent ball in. If Comer and Walsh not fit then somebody needs to go in beside him.

All evidence so far we can put up barriers to keep us in the game for a long period. Dublins tenacity to press the ball may test what we have done so far. While they set up defensively like any other team they press the person on the ball a lot more intensely. This can A) lead to turnovers but B) if handling is good and hands are quick you can break their lines.

McCaffery appears late sub in Heaney to track (Sweeney/Flaherty do the same but Heaney more experienced not to have a lapse in concentration) once lads start to tire empty the bench. Plenty of speed waiting in the wings.

Need to keep Dublin honest so along with Finnerty another body is required. If its not Walsh and Comer then probably O Conghaile (who plays further out the pitch) and one of Culhane or O Curraoin to play inside with Finnerty.

Lots of decisions. I fear just going with what we have done so far will potentially be picked apart.

Great post. Id love if Galway do exactly that, especially holding back Comer. I think we'll still be in a low scoring game at half time, provided others actually **** step up and take responsibility for shooting.

Your last line is the key. If we go with the same approach as every other game this year it'll be death by a thousand cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭cosatron

now is the time to unleash hell. we have the panel and players to play a more expansive type of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭threeball

I dont think we can go too daft on the matchups, otherwise you're spending your time worrying about them and not concentrating on our own game. Scully and Costello are not prolific enough to warrant a man marker. They're no more dangerous than the majority of forwards.

The only players I'd assign a marker to would be Fenton and O Callaghan. Then if McCaffery comes on put on someone fresh and with legs like Sweeney as you mentioned.

Didn't mean matchups as in they'll be following these lads all over the pitch but when the ball is thrown in someone will be standing beside someone and that's the way I expect (for the most part) for them to line up. Our defensive structure will mean whoever comes into certain zones will be picked up by the nearest man.

In saying that I'd be surprised if Kilkenny is not assigned a marker. In the league management specifically started Eoghan Kelly to follow him around for the day. If they felt he was that important in the league I don't think they'll think differently now. Glynn or McGrath for me will be tracking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Robert2014

I've been trying to remember the last time Galway won a game when they were such big outsiders. I remember beating Mayo in 2016 in Castlebar when all the talk was over 50 players turning down an invitation to join the panel under Kevin Walsh at the time. After that we have to go back to the All-Ireland final in 2001 against Meath. However that was a much different team, previous All-Ireland champions and finalists the previous year. They had the inner belief that many of the outside didn't have.

I'm not sure the players have the belief they can do it. The only way I could see it is for them to get ahead and stay ahead. If they go behind, I can't see them making it up. Also they need at least 2 goals and not concede any. This year in most games apart from London and Derry (missing a player for 2/3s of the game) we get a maximum of 15 or 16 points. That would do it on Saturday, they need to add a couple of goals to it imo.

I think a win would completely change the narrative around this team, it would be like Leinster v Munster in Croke Park in 2009, but it's very hard to see it.

I think even with the injuries if we just had 2 weeks to plan and prepare we'd have a right good chance. Provided Comer could play a half of football. I mean a fortnight of drilling into each player what's expected when marking x player, working and working on taking goal chances etc.

But 5 days prep with tired bodies and minds is a big big challenge. Im hoping Comer is held back, I think we'll be in it at half time. Unleash Comer then!

Ive never driven up but am going with small kids this Saturday. Are there many parking options near Croke Park? City centre would be a long trek for small legs at that hour of the evening so I don't mind being in traffic after the match. Would like the car to be handy enough to get to.

Also with other big events on is it best to turn off the motorway around maynooth and head northside?

Park in Maynooth / Leixlip, take train in and alight in Drumcondra. Avoids all traffic hassle on the north side.

• Advertisement

They might do a 'Canavan' on it with Comer - start him, take him off near ht, spring him again with 12 minutes left.

Advertisement