Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Would the same apply to Sotheby’s when the sell art, jewellery, wine whiskey etc….. or selling a used car…should the same apply to buying shares…..why should property be different.

The EA’s job is to get best price for seller…. If the buyer doesn’t have a view on what the they think it’s worth then that’s their problem not the EA’s. The PPR is there for anyone to do research plus keeping ear to the ground and understanding wheee the market is at…. At the end of the day the house is worth whatever someone ends up paying…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Which is exactly what the vendor is paying them to do. EAs don’t need to create a herd mentality in Ireland, the shortage of properties and the number of buyers who can afford to pay does that.

How can an EA possibly know in advance what 5/6/7 bidders are going to bid? And even if they did, what difference would it make? The highest bidder in the vast majority of sales, gets the property, irrespective of what the guide was. Asking prices are just some arbitrary figure used for marketing, and ultimately, it is the vendors decision whether to go with that price when advertising.

Vendors would argue that EAs are doing a good job if they achieve the highest possible price for their property. Every property is exceeding asking because there are lots of buyers, and not enough properties, asking price has nothing to do with that.

Banks really should have a form signed by mortgage applicants stating that they understand that EAs are paid by/work for the Vendor and are not there to help the applicant buy at a fair price. The lender really shouldn’t be lending large amounts of money to anyone who can’t grasp that concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It drives up prices. I am not saying its a priority, but it should be looked at, but it wont, as too many people are self interested.

Which is exactly what the vendor is paying them to do.

At the expense of buyers and the overall market.

If an Estate Agent in Australia has to resort to conducting itself illegally to get the 'best' price, it says a lot about the industry itself.

To go back to my original point, estate agents here do it, knowing that they want as much interest as possible in a house they are selling, to drive up the price for the vendor.

Its backhanded and has ethical and moral questions around it.But given you have no issue with it, I wont change your mind on it. I guess you wouldnt condone phantom bids either, after all, isnt that what the vendor is paying for?

Of course it is at the expense of buyers, and it would be negligent of the EA not want as much interest in the property they are being paid to sell.

Does the buyer pay the EA? No, they don’t, the EA is paid by the vendor to achieve the highest possible price for their primary asset.

Your gripe really should be with the bidders who drive up the price. If they want to pay more than they believe a property is worth, that’s their prerogative.

This is the hypocrisy of property sales, if you were selling, you wouldn’t be inclined to accept anything other than what the highest bidder will pay. If you do, that is money in their pocket, taken from yours.

Incidentally, property prices are booming in Australia, due to short supply.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Because housing is not a luxury or optional item. And it's supply is largely controlled by the government.

Why don't we commodify water or even completely deregulate things like mobile phone or electricity networks? Sell them off to the highest bidder and then give the buyer free reign to do with it what they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yes it would, which is why Sothebys have guide prices on all their items. In the few auctions I've been to (not Sothebys, too rich for me) some items sell high, some sell low, some sell in the middle.

why are houses, nearly without exception, selling high?

It's a tactic, let's not sugar coat it. I understand an EAs job is to get the best price, but let's not kid ourselves and say they are doing it morally and it's the market that's reacting poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Exactly!! Housing are not in the same category as fine art. Most houses are standard roof over your head nothing fancy.

Living the life

The EA’s job is to get best price for seller

Given this is the trademark response when Estate Agents resort to dirty tricks, would the same people condone phantom bids?

After all 'The EA’s job is to get best price for seller'!

• Advertisement

So, it's your position that the EA should do whatever it takes to achieve the highest price for the vendor, no matter the morality, ethics or dare I say, the legality of what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Someone surely isn't putting forward an argument that an educated guess could not be made at what a property will sell for. And someone mentioned used cars? Like really? EAs are professionals who are in the market as part of their job. There was a house there lately on Rathdrum Road in D12 with large (for those houses) side access, where anyone looking at that road, and anyone certainly in the business knows that in this current madness, this property will reach 400k. EA set asking price of 299k.

There are plenty of roads I'm looking at and I can tell you how much the properties will sell for, or more accurately, I can tell you the minimum what they'll make. The PPR is there also. It's not as if there's a shortage of buyers, ffs.

In case I haven’t been clear, asking price is just some arbitrary price point, the market/bidders will set the price.

Of course I don’t condone phantom bids, that is not what we are talking about, and certainly is not the same as advertising a guide price, which most bidders ignore.

If you, or anyone else knows there have been phantom bids, they should report it. Do you know that phantom bidding goes on, at a time when there are an abundance of buyers? How do you know?

So what value to EA's have then if there the market and bidders will set the price.

Slap any ol price on a house, and let the market decide, am I right?

So, there are lines drawn as to what a EA can and cannot do. Finally, some progress.

It is my view, and others, that under-quoting is something an EA should not do.

In Ireland it's ethically questionable and in other countries its illegal.

They market the property, arrange viewings, answer questions related to the property, assess bidders, act as a conduit to relay bids to the Vendor, and advise the Vendor etc.

Again, if a buyer wants to bid above what they think a property is worth, that is up to the bidder.

Is this news to you?

A glorified secretary so, who just does a bit of admin, but is not expected to have any knowledge of the price of the very thing they are selling.

Amazing!

So they add **** all value to the process.

That line does not extend to what is just an arbitrary advertised price. The guide price has virtually no bearing on what buyers will bid, if you raise it, there is nothing to stop buyers going above it.

When referring to Australian legislation, perhaps you should take a bit of time to look at housing stats there, prices are booming, so I’m not sure why you think it makes any difference. In a shortage, buyers will bid more, the asking price doesn’t matter.

Depends on what value you place on their service, using an EA is not compulsory, a vendor selling their own property is entitled to put whatever guide they want to drum up interest.

The going rate is approx 1.5%, which given the average house price is approx €340k, means the fee is approx €5,100

Not bad for a glorified secretary who doesn't know about about how to value and correctly price a house. What the **** are they trained in so?

• Advertisement

Sales, Mark, sales.

And if they get the top price, they marketed it perfectly, and have a happy vendor.

The Australian market is made up of many different markets. House prices in places like Adelaide and Perth are doing well, but Melbourne, not so well.

But the reasons for that are more to do with tax incentives for investors, high migration levels, and a shortage of housing, as well as much easier access to credit than here.

However, under-quoting is against the law there and for very good reasons. I believe they are not the only jurisdiction to ban this.

It is a well-known practice used by shady real estate agents. You support shady practices it appears.

I don’t support posters who don’t understand that buyers are going to bid what they can to buy the property they want, irrespective of the guide price.

Mark, I am wholly convinced that you don’t understand how irrelevant the guide price is, in a property market where there are more buyers than properties, and at this stage, nothing I am going to say will change that.

This goes back to my question about phantom bids. You would have no issue with it once they get the 'top price'.

It seems the king of the transition here is the seller and the estate agent with the buyer having little to no protection.

No wonder Estate Agents are looked upon with so little esteem and worth, given the view that they are leeches, in an industry that thrives on vagueness, poor protections and little transparency.

Yet, you are happy with the concept of setting up 'bait pricing' to suck people in and be manipulated.

Educate yourself perhaps.

Underquoting is effective because it attracts more interested buyers and increases the number and intensity of bidding. It exploits two of the most ubiquitous cognitive biases – herd behaviour and irrational exuberance.

More interest doesn’t just increase competition. A real estate agent will communicate that interest to us, confirming our desire in the property is justified.

This tendency to “follow the herd” and imitate others, as US economist Robert Shiller noted in an influential 1995 paper, is built on the assumption others have information that justifies their actions.

This helps explain pretty much every stockmarket bubble since tulipmania in the 17th century, including the Global Financial Crisis of 2007-8 and speculation on cryptocurrency. We are emotionally swayed by the decisions of others, assuming their decisions are rational, even when they are not. This is fertile ground for our own decisions to be manipulated.

https://eveningreport.nz/2023/04/25/3-sales-tactics-rife-in-the-real-estate-industry-and-why-they-work-202960/

they are selling higher than guide price because of a lack of supply and huge demand due to rents…..you could also argue that inflation has creeped into buyers thinking so if they put off purchase price will only rise…the same thing happened with houses prices after the euro was introduced…maybe it’s just correlation but the short supply is definitely a causation.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

At the same time, by not being ambitious with housing targets, the economy will need to slow down and ideally suffer a bit for a few years or else the country might have to shut the borders as the housing projections are based on economic and population factors. How else can we have economic growth and immigration without the housing market seeing more supply and affordability happening? I can only see increased housing supply or economic decline as being the two outcomes here, with economic decline being an active choice by those saying that housing targets should not be ambitious. The money can be channeled by the state if the ambition is there to transform the housing market and get the country ready for the next 100 years, though my guess is that there are probably political reasons preventing dramatic changes to our housing market.

Let’s not forget it was common practice to bid under asking when there was a choice due to more supply…. Does Op want that made illegal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

People can bid whatever they want.

The issue here is the guide price is consistently wrong to encourage a bidding war. Its an underhanded tactic by unscrupulous EAs.

• Advertisement

Ok so by same logic Tesco club prices should be illegal… they are for essentials and similar marketing techniques used…. At the end of the day if you think the price is right you buy if you don’t you either look elsewhere for better value. If you’re way off the mark then you either overpay or end up never buying because you believe houses should be at 2012 prices.

The real issue is lack of supply and huge demand due to rental situation.

Advertisement