Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslim majority Tajikistan bans Hijab.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That shows how little you know about it.

Muslims arriving in Europe in the 60s and 70s were often not very religious at all - younger generations are MORE religious than their parents and grandparents. That's why I said there's often a degree of provocation, including in some cases provoking their own parents.

Young women whose families came from countries where the hijab was not the norm (north Africa and most of Asia) are now starting to adopt Saudi wahhabite and other extremist styles. Often that's because they're under pressure from young men within their communities to dress "appropriately". There was a young muslim girl in France a couple of months back who was beaten unconscious by boys in her school because they didn't like that she wore "western" dress - her mother's words.

You're assuming the woman will go to the police in the first place, and that the police will take her report seriously if she does.

I wonder why you think any of that at all: given how little police care when a woman is being stalked by an ex who's threatening to kill her, why would you think they're going to get involved in a "minor" domestic??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

That's you putting your opinion of the burka on that girl, for all you know.she was quite happy to be hidden, considering that people would probably be looking at her in a wheelchair anyways.

Now, maybe she didn't want to. Point is, you don't know, neither does anyone else.

AGS have a very proactive response to domestic violence in this country. It is taken very seriously, there are regional domestic violence and sexual assault units in every Garda district. Every single report or call is logged and followed up on.

Plenty, of victims of domestic abuse do not go to Gardai, it is not reliant on their religion.

the police do everything they can.

And who cares really, right? Like if she doesn't want to, we couldn't possibly consider that she might need some help from the rest of society? Much better to avert our eyes and assume that she does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Shoog

That is not what you see in real communitiees (the ones I have lived in). Some young people may become more religious just like some young Christians go fundi, but that is not the majority.

Dunno why you're coming up with that, I never suggested anyone should be forced to do something they don't wish to do. In fact, I made a point of staying the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Augme

It doesn't need an official state religion. The President is a strong Christian and his anti- homosexuality Bill has been strongly supported by other strong Christians in the country.

"In the government, I was the 1st person and on the church side, my daughter, now a priest. So, I thank Patience for introducing our family to that line."

He described the book as a masterpiece that links the Christian principles to those of the ruling party, the National Resistance Movement.

THE Archbishop of Uganda, Dr Stephen Kaziimba, has expressed his Church’s gratitude for a hardline anti-homosexuality law in the country, approved this week.

Dr Kaziimba’s comments come in a statement released by the Church of Uganda communications office, headed: “Church of Uganda grateful for Anti-Homosexuality Act 2023”, and beginning: “The Church of Uganda welcomes the diligent work of Parliament and His Excellency, the President, in crafting the Anti-Homosexuality Act 2023.”

He reiterates his belief, expressed previously in his Easter message, that homosexuality is “currently a challenge in Uganda because it is being forced on us by outside, foreign actors against our will, against our culture, and against our religious beliefs."

Go on, tell how Uganda fits the criteria of a failed State and how the Muslin countries that also ban homosexuality don't fit the same criteria as failed States.

No, not everyone. Just people who want to ban others from practicing their religion. Like Adolf Hitler.

Post edited by Augme on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Can you cite an example of this Christian terrorism in America please?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

So your take in the troubles is that it was an entirely religiously motivated conflict?

There was no other elements to it?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Babyreignbow

There were many elements but primarily it was a sectarian conflict between Catholics and Protestants. To quote the big fella (Ian Paisley) "To everything there is a season..a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category%3AChristian_terrorism_in_Europe

I joke, Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

But they weren't fighting over theology, it was about land/resources, as with most wars, but religion was the main dividing line.

You could say it was just about the British conquest of Ireland but essentially it brought with it religious conflict and persecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

WHat is so wrong with a woman's head/hair that a religion decided it needed to be covered up?

Chortle.

If you believe that argument best of luck to you.

Glazers Out!

I try to sneak in a laugh at least once a day.

Who knows! But I remember all the older women in my area covering their heads to go to church.

Religions are weird

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category%3AChristian_terrorism_in_the_United_States

https://pulitzercenter.org/stories/how-capitol-attacks-helped-spread-christian-nationalism-extreme-right

• Registered Users Posts: 5 useruser365

Wondering how many could pick Tajikistan out on a map!

Tbf having travelled quite a bit in Tajikistan my contribution is mostly that they practice Islam very differently to how it's practiced in Middle East it is not as strict as what you might think at all (this is true for most of the Stans - totally different to the practice is Turkey or anywhere in Middle East which are far stricter) in the main cities men go to mosque for evening prayers (but rarely for prayers several times a day) but not in the countryside a lot, and a lot of people were persecuted for their faith during communism and don't practice - but they had trouble with extremists in the Fergana Valley in the past 20 years and have since had really strong rules on cutting long beards etc for men which includes religious leaders - they clamp down on a lot of religious aspects - they are quite afraid of their southern neighbours and potential extremism coming over the border (and it's hard to blame them). Plus there is a huge push from the top for more embracing of national culture and clothing which has headdresses for women.

Would like to say though - an incredible country and possibly the kindest most genuine people I've met - book your holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Was watching a few traveller documentaries on Tajikistan lately, hence the topic from me. The people came across v well and seems like they would like more tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

How to show you know the square root of feck all about the Six Counties and the conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Again for the hard of thinking - head coverings are one thing, going out head to toe with not even eyes showing - quite another.

feel free to educate us

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

It's to signify that they are Muslim. To differentiate them from other non-muslim women who don't cover up and are regarded as lesser people by hard-line islamicists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Field east

to put it crudely and simply it’s got to do with Muslim men being afraid that someone might run off/have sex with their women. I understand also that women are ‘sewn up” when Muslim men go off to war . When they come back they can then check if the wife has been faithful. Pls correct me If there is no truth in the above

To say that the conflict in NI wasn't at core about religion is deeply ignorant. Many land disputes have religious elements and the northern Irish is a key example. The fact that there were historic elements of colonization doesn't remove the simple fact that religion was one of the key tools for that colonial occupation.

Religion accounts for a huge proportion of wars and territorial conflicts, and that applies to all religions including christianity.

One of the two key conflicts going on at the moment is at core a religious conflict with the Jewish religion the primary cause.

When I see discussions such as this all I see is islamaphobe bigots rolling up to vent their spleen on their favourite whipping boy - because they just can't help themselves.

No it was absolutely NOT "primarily" a religious conflict.

Protestants were involved in the early civil rights movement (Ivan Cooper was one of its founders).

Even the IRA had protestant members. In fact the IRA in the 70s if anything were mostly leftwing Marxists, hence their contacts with Libya and similar. They also had a number of prominent protestants in their ranks, in the early days at least.

Sean MacStiofain, for example, was actually John Stephenson, an Englishman with an English father and whose mother was an Ulster protestant. She was the one who taught him that he was Irish - because until the troubles, most NI protestants considered they were Irish, just the Scottish and Welsh can be their nationality and British.

Ronnie Bunting, the son of an associate of Ian Paisley, was one of the founders of the INLA.

Get out of that with your "It was all religious" nonsense. It's nearly as ignorant as your racist "It takes Muslims two generations to become as secular as us in one" generaisation.

Those three big organised religions all come from the same origin, so it's not surprising they treat women the same way.

Actually I suspect it'd be relatively easy to make a convincing argument that pretty much all religions were created by men to control women. Or if not originally created for that reason, then generally taken over sooner or later by men who use them to do that.

• Advertisement

Rubbish, it was about protestants fighting Catholics over the right to freedom of political expression and rights to resources and jobs.

I come from a northern Irish protestant family so to say that religion wasn't the primary cause of the conflict is risable. An argument to far from a desperate character trying to convince us that Muslims are the only evil guys out there.

Advertisement