Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

A glorified secretary so, who just does a bit of admin, but is not expected to have any knowledge of the price of the very thing they are selling.

Amazing!

So they add **** all value to the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,442 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That line does not extend to what is just an arbitrary advertised price. The guide price has virtually no bearing on what buyers will bid, if you raise it, there is nothing to stop buyers going above it.

When referring to Australian legislation, perhaps you should take a bit of time to look at housing stats there, prices are booming, so I’m not sure why you think it makes any difference. In a shortage, buyers will bid more, the asking price doesn’t matter.

Depends on what value you place on their service, using an EA is not compulsory, a vendor selling their own property is entitled to put whatever guide they want to drum up interest.

The going rate is approx 1.5%, which given the average house price is approx €340k, means the fee is approx €5,100

Not bad for a glorified secretary who doesn't know about about how to value and correctly price a house. What the **** are they trained in so?

Sales, Mark, sales.

And if they get the top price, they marketed it perfectly, and have a happy vendor.

• Advertisement

The Australian market is made up of many different markets. House prices in places like Adelaide and Perth are doing well, but Melbourne, not so well.

But the reasons for that are more to do with tax incentives for investors, high migration levels, and a shortage of housing, as well as much easier access to credit than here.

However, under-quoting is against the law there and for very good reasons. I believe they are not the only jurisdiction to ban this.

It is a well-known practice used by shady real estate agents. You support shady practices it appears.

I don’t support posters who don’t understand that buyers are going to bid what they can to buy the property they want, irrespective of the guide price.

Mark, I am wholly convinced that you don’t understand how irrelevant the guide price is, in a property market where there are more buyers than properties, and at this stage, nothing I am going to say will change that.

This goes back to my question about phantom bids. You would have no issue with it once they get the 'top price'.

It seems the king of the transition here is the seller and the estate agent with the buyer having little to no protection.

No wonder Estate Agents are looked upon with so little esteem and worth, given the view that they are leeches, in an industry that thrives on vagueness, poor protections and little transparency.

Yet, you are happy with the concept of setting up 'bait pricing' to suck people in and be manipulated.

Educate yourself perhaps.

Underquoting is effective because it attracts more interested buyers and increases the number and intensity of bidding. It exploits two of the most ubiquitous cognitive biases – herd behaviour and irrational exuberance.

More interest doesn’t just increase competition. A real estate agent will communicate that interest to us, confirming our desire in the property is justified.

This tendency to “follow the herd” and imitate others, as US economist Robert Shiller noted in an influential 1995 paper, is built on the assumption others have information that justifies their actions.

This helps explain pretty much every stockmarket bubble since tulipmania in the 17th century, including the Global Financial Crisis of 2007-8 and speculation on cryptocurrency. We are emotionally swayed by the decisions of others, assuming their decisions are rational, even when they are not. This is fertile ground for our own decisions to be manipulated.

https://eveningreport.nz/2023/04/25/3-sales-tactics-rife-in-the-real-estate-industry-and-why-they-work-202960/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Timing belt

they are selling higher than guide price because of a lack of supply and huge demand due to rents…..you could also argue that inflation has creeped into buyers thinking so if they put off purchase price will only rise…the same thing happened with houses prices after the euro was introduced…maybe it’s just correlation but the short supply is definitely a causation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

At the same time, by not being ambitious with housing targets, the economy will need to slow down and ideally suffer a bit for a few years or else the country might have to shut the borders as the housing projections are based on economic and population factors. How else can we have economic growth and immigration without the housing market seeing more supply and affordability happening? I can only see increased housing supply or economic decline as being the two outcomes here, with economic decline being an active choice by those saying that housing targets should not be ambitious. The money can be channeled by the state if the ambition is there to transform the housing market and get the country ready for the next 100 years, though my guess is that there are probably political reasons preventing dramatic changes to our housing market.

Let’s not forget it was common practice to bid under asking when there was a choice due to more supply…. Does Op want that made illegal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

People can bid whatever they want.

The issue here is the guide price is consistently wrong to encourage a bidding war. Its an underhanded tactic by unscrupulous EAs.

Ok so by same logic Tesco club prices should be illegal… they are for essentials and similar marketing techniques used…. At the end of the day if you think the price is right you buy if you don’t you either look elsewhere for better value. If you’re way off the mark then you either overpay or end up never buying because you believe houses should be at 2012 prices.

The real issue is lack of supply and huge demand due to rental situation.

I have seen multiple houses go for way more than I would have valued the houses in my area.. I’m talking close to 40% over asking which was close to my valuation and most of the neighbours valuation ….nearly always it has been down to a bidding war with 3/4 buyers that have been trying to buy in the location for 3/4 years and have been outbid in the past and have had to wait 2 years for a similar house to come to market in the area.

Perhaps the EAs valuation is right, that is what the property is worth, and unscrupulous buyers are bidding more to secure the property.

i tend to agree with that view as these houses are a money pit but are just built in a desirable location because of schools, transport links and amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

To quote yourself "In case I haven’t been clear, asking price is just some arbitrary price point, the market/bidders will set the price."

So how can the market/bidder set the price, yet the EA valuation also be right?

There shouldn't be a case where multiple houses go for way more. One or two maybe, but if EAs are consistently wrong, they're bad at their job. Which leaves the only conclusion that they are not wrong, and it's a sales tactic.

My question is this, why is the guide price set by the EA nearly always low, often by tens of thousands? the answer is that it's a tactic. There's no getting around it, no point obfuscating or trying to explain it as anything else. It's a tactic to get people in the door and encourage a bidding war.

10 years ago houses regularly went for under asking and what they were really worth….its all down to supply and how badly someone wants that house…..you have a lot of people who will overpay just so that kids don’t need to move schools etc…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

asking prices for average houses in counties like laois down the country are now up 20% in under a year to 265,000 euros

many are ex rentals requiring substantial expensive work

about 50% of purchasers are from outside the county

the new 430,000 euro government so called affordable homes cant come soon enough ......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sellers should be required to list a proper advertised minimum value which, if exceeded for a given time period, they cannot refuse except for a higher offer.

e.g advertise your house for 400k, get one bid for 420k, then it must be accepted after say 2 weeks. There would then be, say, another 2 weeks for the agreement to be made legally binding.

advertise your house for 400k, get one bid for 420k, 10 days later a bid for 500k, then the 500k bid becomes binding 2 weeks later.

advertise your house for 400k, get one bid for 380k, seller can decide whether or not to sell.

With this scheme there is no disadvantage to the seller who is open and honest. Under the current system, a buyer can pay to have checks done on a property advertised for 400k, be the only bidder at 450k and not have that bid accepted because the seller was never going to settle for less than 500k in reality.

Nonsense.

All you have to do is read the property supplement on the weekend, where the EA will go on about a house and what they expect it to fetch, while its asking price is lower.
    I've seen it many times myself.

Underquoting the asking price is a trick EA's use to push up the price overall. It's pretty undeniable tbh.

The only questions that remain are.

• You are OK with it, as you are fine with these outcomes, or
    • Unscuploptis tactics should not be allowed

So how can the market/bidder set the price, yet the EA valuation also be right?

One of the requirements of an Estate Agent in Ireland is to value a property. That is why a real estate agent will provide a valuation service for a mortgage or a bank.

But apparently, they don't need to as "The Market' will do it for them.

We have this paradox in the argument.

Either EA's are glorified secretaries doing a bit of admin, or they are a professional body who are charged with valuing and selling properties.

If they are the latter, then why can't they value properties correctly given they seem to go over asking many many times? Are they incompetent and simply bad at their job? Or are they devious and underquote deliberately to manipulate the price of a property?

If it's the former, why are they paid so much to provide such a basic service in doing a bit of admin and why do they need to hold a license and be registered with the PSR?

Hold on. Didn't you die on this hill that the EA had no bearing on the price and it was purely the market that set the price?

Now you are admitting that the EA deliberately sets the price low, to create a fuss and send the actual sales price a lot higher than the original asking price.

Apart from a poor understanding of the metaphor you are using, I said no such thing. What myself, and others have tried in vain to explain to you, is that EAs do not have a crystal ball to see into the future, and foresee what people are willing to bid on a property. As a result, the asking, and sale price can differ by quite large amounts. But that is easy to see in hindsight, not in advance.

An EA is a sales person, this should not come as a surprise to you, sales people are paid to sell, be it by using their insight of the product, convincing buyers to pay more, making the product look great value, but ultimately, it is the buyer who decides what they are willing to pay. Ideally, the vendor wants multiple bidders bidding against each other, and if the guide gets them interested in bidding, then the EA has done their job well. If the buyer doesn’t understand that the EA is there to sell the property on behalf of the vendor only, doesn’t understand that they are bidding against other equally determined buyers due to lack of supply, doesn’t understand that prices are rising, but there is a portal where they can check what previous houses went for, doesn’t understand that the asking price is some arbitrary figure that even if the vendor didn’t use an EA, they could pick a lower price than they are willing to accept, then that person really has no one to blame but themselves if they overpay for a property.
    Banks really should ensure that borrowers understand the basics of bidding on property before they hand over huge sums of money.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Im sure they would also be happy if someone bid the asking price before them, but they had another €10,000 to spend and when they try to offer it the EA says, no, sorry, the house has been sold for the asking price. You just got in there a bit too late, so keep you 10k and keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

But you don't get checks done on a property unless you are sale agreed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭SharkMX

You never know if you rent a house and rent if you can sell it when you need the money.

You dont know what new regulations will be here next year never mind further on. You are basically giving full control of your assets to someone else for all the control you are left with. Paying rent or giving the property back is optional to the tenant.

Thats not for me.

I invested 70k in ETFs from a redundancy in 2017. I never touched it. Im happy with the growth. If I wanted to cash it today I could. There will be tax to pay, but i cant complain. Its totally hands off. Automatic €500 goes into it every month. It requires zero work from me.

We bought a house this year. Decided not to touch the savings apart for from the deposit as they make more than the interest on the loan anyway. We could have got a bigger house, or paid a chunk off but i dont think it would have worked out for us. And I was able to stop the €500 gong into the ETFs with once click of a mouse while we got ourselves settled into the house and start it again when i was happy to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭fliball123

The argument about EAs is a bit mad the price is the price. A property is worth what someone will pay for it. The asking price is not an agreed set in stone price but it would be something the seller and EA will more than likely press ahead with a sale providing it is reached or a bid comes in at a higher amount. I am not sure about phantom bids years ago I would of thought it but for the EA to risk their careers for 1% or 1.5% of the increase is not really a risk worth taking. I was sure they put measures in place to stop the phantom bidding and the buyer always has the option of saying that's too much for me I am not bidding any more so any one moaning about the bidding price need to understand that the way the market is at present is simply supply and demand and some gov manipulation and the bad news is prices are not coming down for the next decade with the way our emigration policy, housing building strategy and government intervention is going. In 10 years I reckon prices will be on by another 40/50% on what they are today.

Advertisement