Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

enjoying 10 month old stinge having to be explained

(miss this thread…)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Had a woman Ive never seen before at work today come up to me and ask me if she could have my can of coke when I was finished with it! (For the deposit)

I get some people throw them away still, but I actually do keep them and I just can't imagine the nerve of going up to strangers and asking them for an empty can, lug it all the way home and then to the shop, for the sake of 15c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,013 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There's a video doing the rounds of a guy driving for Panda and he's at one of those can/bottle return machines returning hundreds of cans and bottles he recovered from the garbage he collected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,032 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Panda won't be impressed, they presumably sell their recovered material. I know the new scheme is designed to stop bottles and cans going into the general recycling but it's still material Panda is collecting by truck, so it's theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You've never been to Germany, i'm guessing. Only last week in Cologne / Dusseldorf, I had people reaching out their arm as I walked by with an (even almost) empty bottle / can.

In Germany, people don't put bottles / cans / glass into the bin, they leave it BESIDE the bin. A minute or two later, it's in someones bag. Great system! (The 'not throwing it in the bin' system, not the recycling charge system)

I've been to Germany many times.

Have often done the "beside the bin" thing because who wants to return bottles when they're abroad for a few days!

However I feel that's different. The people begging you for cans on the street are often homeless or beggars. This is within the workplace. It just seems like alot of effort for someone who's likely on 50k+ a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Not sure if stinge or not, more cheeky

Was at the jet wash recently and there was alot of silt on the ground (allbeit not from my car but an accumulation of all the cars)

As I cleaned my car the lady behind asked me if I would wash all the silt away as even though its not off my car it would dirty her car as it was "so low down" and get onto her trousers

I laughed and said if she gave me a fiver id do it as it would take about 10 minutes to get rid of half of it… she just rolled up her window (actually, maybe im the stinge for asking her now haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Thirty years ago or so, my brother in law used to bring his elderly mother to the bingo every Tuesday and Thursday. About 3 miles there and back on country roads. Every time he’d ask her for a fiver “petrol money”! This was his own mother, who gave him his dinner once a week, and another on a plate to take home, ( as his then wife was a lousy cook.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I was in a taxi recently coming home from the airport and I went to pay at the end ofmy journey. The card machine wouldn't work, it initially wouldn't turn on and it kept declining my card (I tried multiple).

Now he shouldn't have been working in this scenario as it's mandatory to accept card but I just wanted to get into my house, and I happened to have cash on me which I never do, because I hate cash. The fare was €25.20, and he wouldn't even round it down and give me a flat €25 back. He gave me the exact change and I had to deal with coins. The man could have been fined €200 for this.

• Advertisement

Cash is King.

Can't imagine you'd be fined if the card machine genuinely malfunctioned.

Cash is not king. Cash is a pain in the hole.

What if I didn't have any cash. I usually don't, i just happened to this time because I was paid by a friend for something the same day in cash.

id say its been on the blink for weeks and everyone who gets in is told "it just went on me"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

That was pure stinge of her expecting you to use your time on the machine to clean the ground for her.
    Those unattended car washes are a joke. Never cleaned. In my local Tesco one all the builders etc roll in on a Friday evening to blast all the mud off their jeeps and vans. They leave mounds of dirt on the ground and drive off.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,609 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

People collecting 'return bottles and cans' for personal profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Not sure if stinge but i'll mention it, On a more than a few occasions I have witnessed staff from a local restaurant bringing cans to machine for the deposit return scheme ( in full restaurant attire so its during their working hours)

I am not sure if

1) they now fill up the customers glass with their can
    2) they are getting staff to go through the bin and or keep the cans/bottle when cleaning after the customer

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Brian2208

Customers generally aren't charged the deposit for drinks served in the restaurants, and it would be standard to separate cans and bottles for recycling when clearing tables

That doesn't bother me tbh. I haven't returned one can or bottle. It's degrading. They all go in the green bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Nice of you to grace our presence, your majesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I’m at a loss as to how it is degrading, can you explain?

The most annoying thing about the scheme is the uncollected deposits are retained by the scheme operator. The lack of transparency is a real issue.

That makes me more inclined to make returns than anything else!

Jesus though, how do you expect a few lads drinking down sparch to bring the bags of cans around with them all day is beyond me.

I've 3 shops within a 10 minute walking distance, all sell drinks but none accept returns. I've to walk 25minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭D3V!L

My wife works in a DCC community centre and the sheer amount of bottles and cans dumped by the general public is shocking. Shes started to take out the deposit return ones from the bins and saves them in plastic bags. We've cut our grocery bill down by a third a week from her doing this.

She's gloved up and all when she's empting the bins so its no big deal to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Anyone decent would throw him 30 euro anyway. card readers break at times, technology, you know how it goes. the NTA wouldnt fine the driver for this in reality. And if the fare said 25.20, he wasnt doing anything wrong by asking for the full amount.

If you bought a few items in a shop and the bill was 25:20, do you think the guy working behind the counter would say ah sure we will leave it at 25 euro? not a chance.

paypal? but obviously it would be up to you to pay the driver at some stage, no free taxi trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

If you bought a few items in the shop and the bill was 25.20 would you give them 30 euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Shop is not legally required to give you change, or so I read somewhere sometime.

Not your ornery onager

€25 is on the high side anyway. Why would I pay 30

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Can we quit the tedious arguments on thread - take them to PM.
    No stinge, no post.

Thanks.

Advertisement