Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New HKC App SecureComm2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Hate these guys. No sleep last night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Just got a mail from them

Dear Customer,

We regret to inform you that our HKC SecureComm App is currently experiencing an unexpected service outage.

Our technical team is working diligently to identify the cause and restore normal operations as quickly as possible.

We understand the inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. For the latest update on this situation, please view our LinkedIn page.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kind regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

Did you use the info@hkc.ie email address?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I just got that email as well, unsolicited.

My "fix" on the panel didn't last long - it's back to beeping again, I tried a load of different number combinations with no success, then managed to set the alarm off again and when I disabled it the beeping has stopped. For the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MickH503

No mention of problems on the HKC Security Ireland page. Found an update on the HKC Security UK page … posted only an hour ago and lots of pissed off comments underneath

• Advertisement

The app is back up and running, after a fashion. I was able to log in, though when I tried to filter the events it came back with a login error again.

Edit: Forget that. It's down again.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

got an email just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Hang on. Surely the inability of the control panel to connect to the SecureComm server is completely separate from the App?

My panel seems to be all working OK again, no beeping or flashing lights

…. still can't access the app though

EDIT - on the 3rd attempt it connected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Not really - the panel and the app both need to be able to connect to the server. The server is the conduit between the app and the panel. I would assume the email text was written from a non-technical viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Nuphor

I like the way the status updates on the app are:

1. Being posted to LinkedIn (why?)]
    2. Being posted to their UK LinkedIn page, not their Irish one. No mention at all of an outage on their Irish one.

Panel connection seems stable at this point. The app connection seems to be working also, but the log updates and zone status is flaky. Works for a while, then drops. Right now (17.30) can't reconnect to the server with the app.

The app is working but it's definitely flaky. I can live with that for now because my main priority is not to hear that wretched beeping any time soon. I've just taken a badly needed nap - something not everyone is in the lucky position to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I can only get the old app to work, the new one just refuses to connect.

Edit: Scrub that, the new app seems to be working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

Not for me on new app, old one works fine. That's been my experience. A long road ahead for them. User doesn't seem to gain anything from the new app either apart from fingerprint instead of pin. I reinstalled the old one.

Also when the new app did work the log menu usually crashed it. Old app was opening logs no problem..July 9th full switch over? No chance.

On the Google Play app, there's a reply from HKC to a bad review. Perhaps they are better at time travel than maintaining apps because the review is from 17th June and the reply is from the 31st May! Anyway this is what HKC told them

We are investigating a technical problem which is causing intermittent connectivity problems on the HKC SecureComm2 app. The old SecureComm app will continue to work while we investigate the issue.

I've just reinstalled the old app as well. I'd say we'll be using that for longer than HKC had planned.

I have (had) been using the new app for months now without problems, until I got the email from HKC on 30th May advising that the old app would cease on 9th July. Coincidentally, that was the day the new app stopped working for me for a period of about 12 hours!

Maybe the new app is causing additional workload on the server or is de-stabilising it? The firmware in the panels hasn't changed AFAIK.

Maybe I'll try reinstalling the old app!

EDIT - I installed the old version on my tablet and it worked like a charm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Can I turn off engineer mode now? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Hooked

How are we all feeling after a good nights kip? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Same here. I installed the new app ages ago and it was working fine until a day or so before the email arrived about the old app stopping working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,624 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

BTW, I see that engineer codes have been posted here and on the LinkedIn comments section to the HKC posts.

Is this a potential security issue or does one need the site security code as well to do anything?

I understand that the July 9th date for ceasing the old app is being reviewed while they work on stabilising the app/server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I use HKC, and it was down, but my alarm did not start beeping. Why did some of yours, but mine didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

They are prolonging the July 9th date they have confirmed until new app is fully up to the standard of the old app. "A couple of more weeks" being their phrase. And "tweaking".

I didn't realise the old app was still in operation, so thanks to you all for that info!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭altor

If your alarm was set you would not of realized it was down till you unset the alarm.

Anyone on server 2 was backup and running after a reboot but server 1 never came back online till later in the day.

Most customers who contacted myself had not got the alarm set.

My gripe with HKC would be the handling of the communication to end users.

Email should of been sent to everyone on the service so they knew what was happening, not just before it was sorted.

They are going to be migrating everyone to a new server in the future, so everything is not fixed as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Mine demanded the site code after I put in the engineer code. In fact the installer was over once doing tweaks to the system and he had to call me over to input my code.

I think it's safe. Also you're assuming a situation where someone breaks in, and tries to disable the alarm from the inside using some commonly used codes for the chance of disabling it, all while it's roaring to high heavens. I can't imagine anyone would plan that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

Is the new app acting up again?

I can't login this morning to reset alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭altor

Close the app down and reopen.

There are still issues connecting which wont be fixed till everyone is moved to the new server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Cinderella2000

Can I get feedback please folks on your ability to set alarm from app this weekend?.

Weve moved house & took our alarm with us. That's how we found out there was a new app & made the switch.

From get go with new app, we had random app connection issue but a second try straight away & it'd be fine. Blamed the wait for fibre.

Tonight...... can't. Get. Any. Access. At. all.on. app.

So damn frustrated, we bought this alarm off the back of a serious incident. Not a happy customer.

Monthly payment for the app, which I can't use.

Can't set full night settings alarm without it, our panels the other end of the house. Edited to add: the 30sec lapse on panel won't cut it!

Is there any possibility this is actually a data breach element to it also?

Advertisement